Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

I Dream of Jeannie links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / I Dream of Jeannie Photo Gallery

I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete First Season (Black & White)

Buy I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete First Season (Black & White) on DVD
I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete First Season (Colorized)

Buy I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete First Season (Colorized) on DVD
I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Second Season

Buy I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Second Season on DVD
I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Third Season

Buy I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Third Season on DVD
I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
I Dream of Jeannie - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek)

Buy I Dream of Jeannie - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek) on DVD
I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (2013 Release)

Buy I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (2013 Release) on DVD
I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)

Buy I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) on DVD

Buy I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (2008 Release) on DVD / Buy I Dream of Jeannie...Fifteen Years Later (TV Movie) on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > I Dream of Jeannie
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-27-2006, 02:00 AM   #1
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to TJ
Default I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Second Season DVD Review

With the blink of an eye, I Dream of Jeannie is back for another season on DVD! The hit sitcom that was one (of many) supernatural sitcoms of the 60s returns with 31 uncut episodes, on a four disc set from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment!

The second season of the show has a few minor changes from the first, the biggest being that this season was shot in color rather than black and white--so there is only one set available this time, the original color version! Also, this season is the first season to use the familiar tune that we all associate with the show... one of the greatest instrumental theme songs of all television shows! But the important things are still the same: Jeannie is still living with Major Anthony Nelson in Cocoa Beach, with Major Healy constantly stopping by, and Dr. Bellows, as always, concerned that something isn't quite right with Major Nelson, and he is usually right, but Jeannie always fixes things before he can prove is something wrong. It's classic 60s comedy!

Read our review here:
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/idreamo...dvdreview.html

Post any questions or comments about this set.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:40 AM   #2
BSDDomi
Frequent Poster

Nice review, TJ. I agree with you on the lack of special features. Why is that? Does anyone know? Didn't they have anything to put on the discs?

Another audio commentary would have been nice but the actors should watch the episode first and provide more background information or funny tidbits, fond memories they have from shooting the show.

There are so many things you could put on a DVD set, cast biographies, screen caps, scripts in pdf format, old interviews for the show they may have, old commercials etc, what about a tribute to some of the cast members that have died...wouldn't this be nice...

I've already emailed Sony about the special features but maybe someone else here has the powers to be to route this to Sony and if more people let them know about special features they'd like to see I'm sure Sony would listen. I'd love to see some bloopers, I'm sure there are some out there.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:23 PM   #3
CAJeannieFan57
Forum Regular

Supposedly at one time, Larry Hagman had home movies from the IDOJ set. I wonder if they still exist? That wouldbe cool on a DVD -

Donna
An I Dream of Jeannie Fan Website
Old 06-28-2006, 03:51 AM   #4
BSDDomi
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAJeannieFan57
Supposedly at one time, Larry Hagman had home movies from the IDOJ set. I wonder if they still exist? That wouldbe cool on a DVD -

Donna

Indeed, Donna. Maybe someone who has contact with Larry, could ask him if he still has these home movies and would be willing to share them with us so they can be put on DVD.

Guys, what are your thoughts on a Tribute for say Hayden Rorke or Emmaline Henry or others. Do you think that Barbara, Larry and Bill would like to contribute? I'm sure that I'm not the only one would love to see such a thing on the DVDs.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:51 PM   #5
TV Knowledge Fan

Default If those "home movies" still exist...

...Larry would have presented them to the public by now, or offered them to SONY for inclusion in the DVD sets. He's a private man, and except for his autobiography, he doesn't like people poking about his personal life TOO much.

Another item, if enough film collectors have them, would be the "integrated" commercials Barbara did for Colgate-Palmolive in the 1966-'67 season, when they were the show's "primary" sponsor. There's a photo of Barbara (as Jeannie), holding up a box of "Baggies" {manufactured by C-P at the time** while seated in her "bottle", taken during production of "My Master, the Author". I'm sure there was a commercial at the end of that episode (or one around that period) where Barbara {or "Jeannie"** says a few words about "Baggies" and how good they keep food fresh, etc. Those commercials
would be interesting to see...and I'm sure Barbara has forgotten about doing them!

Old 06-30-2006, 02:19 AM   #6
BSDDomi
Frequent Poster

TV Knowledge Fan, whatever they could add, especially if those are items from the Jeannie era would be nice and I'm sure it would make fans very happy.

Last edited by BSDDomi : 07-05-2006 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:31 AM   #7
JeannieFan1970
Occasional Poster

Let us not forget ... there are a total of 5 seasons plus 2 reunion movies. Sony isn't about to give away all the good stuff at the beginning. I'm sure they have some goodies in store for seasons 3, 4, and 5.

I for one am anxious about the reunion movies. Haven't seen them since their originally aired in 1985 and 1991. They are next to impossible to find on VHS. I wonder ... will they be included in the season 5 DVD set? or will Sony get $$$ hungry and release them seperate from the series DVD's?

Either way, there are many more interesting things to come I'm sure.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:33 AM   #8
Mister Ed
Forum Regular
Betty White Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeannieFan1970
Sony isn't about to give away all the good stuff at the beginning. I'm sure they have some goodies in store for seasons 3, 4, and 5.
You don't know Sony.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:01 AM   #9
BSDDomi
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeannieFan1970
Let us not forget ... there are a total of 5 seasons plus 2 reunion movies. Sony isn't about to give away all the good stuff at the beginning. I'm sure they have some goodies in store for seasons 3, 4, and 5.

I for one am anxious about the reunion movies. Haven't seen them since their originally aired in 1985 and 1991. They are next to impossible to find on VHS. I wonder ... will they be included in the season 5 DVD set? or will Sony get $$$ hungry and release them seperate from the series DVD's?

Either way, there are many more interesting things to come I'm sure.

If Sony decides to put "more interesting things" on the upcoming DVD sets, I wouldn't even mind waiting much longer for them to gather all the stuff they'd need :P...it would be nice to have the movies on the season 5 DVD set but I doubt they'd do that, I don't think they'd fit, they'd have to release a bigger DVD set. They could put the movies on a separate DVD set though, movies only or so...and yes I agree, I would love to see the movies on DVD, it's a looong time since I've seen them. Too bad that the original cast is too old to be in the new I Dream of Jeannie reunion movie, hope they can at least give them some guest roles
Old 07-05-2006, 03:20 PM   #10
TV Knowledge Fan

Default I hope the two "reunion" movies....

...WILL be released separately from the series. I was VERY disappointed when I first saw them, in 1985 and 1991 (and I'm sure most of the "fans" were, too).

No matter how "well preserved" Barbara looked in her new costumes, the writers JUST DIDN'T UNDERSTAND what "Jeannie" was all about....especially April Kelly's horrible script for the second movie. Wayne Rogers was all wrong as "Tony Nelson", Bill Daily didn't seem to have anything to do with the second movie save for a few fleeting "cameos", Barbara SHOULD have insisted on having her say as to HOW to proceed with making things better... I was so disappointed at the way both films turned out---save for publicity photos and production shots, I've never seen them again.

Old 07-06-2006, 10:25 AM   #11
BSDDomi
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Knowledge Fan
I was so disappointed at the way both films turned out---save for publicity photos and production shots, I've never seen them again.

You know TV Knowledge Fan, I usually don't even feel like watching a reunion movie if it doesn't have the original cast in it or if part of the original cast is missing..too bad that Larry Hagman couldn't be in it...but still would love to see it on DVD...if the other sets sell well I'm sure Sony will see the big $$$ dancing right before their eyes :P and release the movies...
Old 07-06-2006, 05:20 PM   #12
TV Knowledge Fan

[quote=BSDDomi]..too bad that Larry Hagman couldn't be in it...[quote]

Correction- he WOULDN'T be in it, 'BSDDomi'. He made it clear, in an interview with "ENTERTAINMENT TONIGHT" around that period (when he was riding high on "DALLAS"), that he didn't want to have anything to do with "genies" or anything connected with his past. However, that did NOT stop him from having Barbara appear as "Lee Ann DeLaVega" just before "DALLAS" signed off in 1991- Larry wanted to work with her again on his OWN terms, for old times' sake. Now, of course, he's more than happy to appear with her on "special occasions", having come to terms with his past and finally discovering that being "Tony Nelson" wasn't as bad as he remembered it!

Old 07-07-2006, 05:43 AM   #13
BSDDomi
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Correction- he WOULDN'T be in it, 'BSDDomi'. He made it clear, in an interview with "ENTERTAINMENT TONIGHT" around that period (when he was riding high on "DALLAS"), that he didn't want to have anything to do with "genies" or anything connected with his past.

Yes, I knew about that one, TV Knowledge Fan. It was a general remark.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:34 AM   #14
Heidi Dawn
Forum Regular
Muppets

I haven't watched my season two set yet, I'm still watching season three of 'Charlie's Angels'.
Complete Series Box Sets: MASH, Three's Company, Gilligan's Island, The Dukes Of Hazzard, The Golden Girls, The Monkees, The Brady Bunch, Full House, I Dream Of Jeannie, Bewitched, Taxi, Gimme A Break, Dallas, Charlie's Angels, Joanie Loves Chachi, Laverne & Shirley, Mork & Mindy, The Cosby Show, The Facts of Life.
Old 07-15-2006, 03:05 AM   #15
BSDDomi
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi Dawn
I haven't watched my season two set yet, I'm still watching season three of 'Charlie's Angels'.

I got season two in the mail just the other day and so far I have no complaints. The boxed set is very nice, how the four discs were put in separate plastic boxes with a summary of the episodes featured on each disc. The audio and video quality appears to be average with some episodes having better video quality than others, wonder why that is...you'd think that if they remaster them digitally, they remaster them all..at least it looked like they did something to the episodes. What makes me sad in a way and I've mentioned this in my previous comments is the lack of extras on this season box set but maybe, if we're lucky, we'll have some on the season three set. I know that many people would like to have some sort of blooper reel on the set if they could get a hold of one.

BTW, Heidi Dawn, you have a nice set of DVDs there in your collection - , bet you never get tired laughing/grinning...