Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Coach links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Coach Photo Gallery

Coach - The First Season

Buy Coach - The First Season on DVD
Coach - The Second Season

Buy Coach - The Second Season on DVD
Coach - The Third Season

Buy Coach - The Third Season on DVD
Coach - The Fourth Season

Buy Coach - The Fourth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1990s Sitcoms > Coach
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Pilot Season at Amazon to Come to an End?; CBS Plans "Winter Games" with Celebrity Big Brother
Fri-Yay: Search Party, Creating a New Kind of Sitcom; Remembering Jim Nabors, MeTV and Decades TV Network to Pay Tribute
ABC Faves Head to Hulu; SMILF Gets 2nd Season on Showtime
CBS Orders Full Seasons of Sophomore Sitcoms; Desperate Housewives Star Heads to Dynasty
Two and a Half Men Heads to Nick at Nite; WE tv Acquires Criminal Minds

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-08-2006, 01:31 AM   #1
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to TJ
Default Coach - The First Season (Limited Edition) DVD Review

Emmy winner Craig T. Nelson stars in Coach, the hilarious sitcom thatís a touchdown with fans! In season one, Coach Hayden Fox (Nelson) teaches the moves to his football team, the Minnesota State University Screaming Eagles, while learning a thing or two about offense and defense from his close-knit family and friends. Co-starring Emmy nominees Jerry Van Dyke and Shelley Fabares, this ready-to-rumble show is FINALLY on DVD.

In addition to the three mentioned above, Season 1 of Coach also stars Clare Carey as Haydenís daughter, Kelly; and Bill ***erbakke as Dauber.

Read our review here:
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/coachseason1dvdreview.html

Post any questions or comments about this set.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:46 PM   #2
sugar ray
Frequent Poster

Hello TJ:

just got my season 1 coach set RETAIL version. even though i spent over a year collecting all 200 episodes and creating my own Coach dvd set, it sure is nice to have NON-SYNDICATED-EPISODES all completely in tact!

let me RESPECTFULLY say that your review may have been a little generous!
keep in mind...........im a complete DIE hard coach fan and trust me when i say NO-RELEASE would have been good enough for me, LOL!

first up, i picked up the standard version as the unlimited version was not stocked at my local walmart. Once i got it home and opened it, the first thing i noticed was the print of the artwork on BOTH the box and the case sleeves themselves. the actual layout and pictures are nice, HOWEVER if you look at it the print it is awefull! Almost as if it came off your home printer. have a look you will know what i mean. unless we just got crummy prints here in Canada but im sure they are all ran off at the same place.

my next and BIGGEST beef with the set is the audio being in..........GULP..............oh god hate to say it.................."MONO" whats up with that???? when i made my personal coach set captured via DVI- HD-satellite reciever, i achieved much better audio results when transcoding the set in dolby digital 2.0 "STEREO"

if a home made set can achieve better audio results then the actual studio, it left me with the feeling of "universal just threw this set together as cheaply and simply as possible"

i back that up by looking at their menu screens for this set. the standard 30 second coach theme loops while we see a STILL shot cartoon looking version of craig T nelson (same pose as on the front case photo.)

lastly..........the bonus features are virtualy non existant! although they did one thing right. as part of the bonus features we get the "homewreckers" episode from season 2. arguable the funniest episodeof the entire series. the only other bonus feature is a featurette on shows of the 1980's. my question is..............what exactly does this have to do with the series "COACH" that we just purchased??? right........absolutely nothing! don't get me wrong its a very well done featurette but its more of a show case for universals 80's hits.
furthermore, coach isn't even an 80's show! 8 of the 9 airing seasons for coach took place in the 90's

why not use this space on this disc for coach behind the scenes, cast interviews, or a gag reel? i KNOW it exists! universal handed out a video cassette to every member of the studio audience during the taping of the final episode (leaving orlando 3) that tape had hilarous out takes and cast interviews. it would have been a gem to put on the dvd set.

the picture quality, all be it not perfect, is decent. probably as good as i have ever seen or will ever see coach look.

again keep in mind im a videographer by trade. i make a strong habbit of critizing my own work and nit-picking at the little things. strive for excellence, because if you can't always improve SOMETHING on a project then its time to quit. im convinced no matter what universal did with this release it would NOT have been good enough for me. im probably NOT capable of being 100% satisfied when it comes to this series.

just SLIGHT dis-apointment with the much anticpated release. perhaps universal will take some suggestions for season 2??? how about "MOTION MENUS" as threes company did for their series as an example. even Alf has some excellent motion menus. DVD design is now an art form. a STILL shot menu was great back in 1997 when dvd's were first hitting the market, but we've come a looooooooong ways since then and STILL shot photos for menus are just so amateaurish now. advance the audio from mono to stereo, thats the first improvement i would make. lastly how about some bonus features that have to do with the show coach? the whole point of a dvd is bonus features that involve the tittle.

heck........universal..........i'll fly down to hollywood and design the dvd's if given a chance! ill even work for real cheap! LOL! let a passionate fan design the next coach set. LOL!

take care guys..........it was a big step that season one has been released. hopefully the following season will hit the market with vast improvements.

here are the motion menus i designed for the series:
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2006, 09:27 PM   #3
Dr. John Becker
A Great American

I'll be picking this up soon.

I am a little disappointed about the mono sound, though.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:03 AM   #4
DVDFreaker
Banned!!
Banned

I got the limited edition today and the packaging isn't too bad
Old 08-15-2006, 04:50 AM   #5
gabriel_katikos
Frequent Poster

Exclamation

Does anyone know if this set keeps the old Universal TV logo at the end of all episodes in this set (in both limited edition and regular packaging)? I would be shocked if they didn't keep it!