Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries > True Crime Shows
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Antenna TV's Classic Christmas Collection and Through the Years Marathons; Cristela Gets Full Season on ABC
COZI TV's Annual Holidozi Marathon; Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Moves to Netflix With 2 Season Order
FX and FXX January Has Many Premieres; Cougar Town Celebrates 100th Episode
Week 9 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: Hot in Cleveland to End; Netflix Picks up Tina Fey Comedy; Wonder Years Season 2 DVDs
Fox Mid-Season 2015 Schedule; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of November 24, 2014)
INSP Gets Walker, Texas Ranger; ABC, Fox Mid-Season New Show Premieres

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series Sgt. Bilko - The Phil Silvers Show - The Complete Series Family Ties - The Complete Series Happy Days - The Sixth Season The Jeffersons - The Complete Series Mork & Mindy - The Complete Series

10/07 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Christmas Episodes
10/07 - The Flying Nun - The Complete First and Second Seasons (Mill Creek)
10/07 - The Middle - The Complete Fifth Season (Warner Archive)
10/07 - The Office - The Complete Series
10/07 - The Wonder Years - Season One
10/10 - The Wonder Years - The Complete Series - Review / The Signature Edition / Seasons 1-3
10/14 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Third Season
10/14 - Two and a Half Men - The Complete Eleventh Season
10/21 - Married with Children - Seasons 5 and 6 (Mill Crek)
10/21 - The Soul Man - The Complete Second Season
10/21 - Square Pegs - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/28 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series / Review
11/04 - Hot in Cleveland - Season Five
11/04 - Napoleon Dynamite - The Complete Animated Series
11/04 - Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The Complete Series
11/11 - Dads - The Complete Series
11/11 - Family Ties - The Complete Series
11/11 - My Favorite Martian - Best of Collection
11/11 - Taxi - The Complete Series
11/11 - Wings - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/18 - King of the Hill - The Complete Seventh Season / The Complete Eighth Season
11/25 - Better Off Ted - The Complete Second Season
12/02 - Happy Days - The Sixth Season
12/09 - Barney Miller - The Complete Sixth Season
12/09 - The Jeffersons - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mister Ed - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mork & Mindy - The Fourth Season / The Complete Series
12/16 - The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis - The Final (Fourth) Season
12/23 - My Favorite Martian - Season Two - Collector's Edition
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-16-2006, 03:33 AM   #1
Big3sCompanyFan
Banned!!
Banned

Default Dateline "Vanished" episode--GREAT Missing Persons Show

Last Saturday on national TV, NBC, (the same network UM was on!!) there was a special on people who have just disappeared into thin air!

It was the kind of stories that would have definitely been on UM if UM was still around.

They profiled the young Florida woman, Jennifer Kesse, the VERY mysterious boating disappearance of ex-model Lana Stempien and Chuck Rutherford, a black female doctor, and a prosecuting attorney!!

That's a really eclectic group of missing people!!

What do you all think of those missing persons cases??

And by chance did any of you catch the show?

Old 05-16-2006, 01:50 PM   #2
Ireneparalegal
Forum Celebrity
LEGAL SPICE ;)

Location: OXNARD, CA - WHERE THE DALLAS COWBOYS TRAIN & PRACTICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big3sCompanyFan
Last Saturday on national TV, NBC, (the same network UM was on!!) there was a special on people who have just disappeared into thin air!

It was the kind of stories that would have definitely been on UM if UM was still around.

They profiled the young Florida woman, Jennifer Kesse, the VERY mysterious boating disappearance of ex-model Lana Stempien and Chuck Rutherford, a black female doctor, and a prosecuting attorney!!

That's a really eclectic group of missing people!!

What do you all think of those missing persons cases??

And by chance did any of you catch the show?

I missed it. I do love to watch Dateline when they show stuff like this or unsolved murders. It's really intriguing.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:32 PM   #3
mercy1825
Frequent Poster

I did see it! I agree it was outstanding! The DA that is missing from Pennsylvania lives a few counties over from me. That has been in the newspapers for a long time now. That is truely a baffling mystery! Hopefully his long time girlfriend and family will be given some answers soon.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:12 PM   #4
UMLongtimefan
Frequent Poster

48 hours and Dateline do a nice job of covering these true crime stories. As for Chuck Rutherford... I think a lot of people are going to have to do some serious I'm sorry's to the Rutherfords when his body turns up (Anybody here remember the Unsolved Mysteries case about Andy Emory?... they still haven't found his body although its pretty clear he and his wife jumped in a river).

I believe the one story about Chuck having way too much to drink and flying off the handle... but the "new" version from the guy who said he saw Chuck beating her seems a little fishy to me.

My guesses... they were drunk and thought something was wrong with the boat and jumped/fell overboard.... they thought something was wrong with the boat and abandoned ship thinking they were close enough to shore to swim in.. or long shot Pirates ....

The gps missing info doesn't really scare me that much... maybe the Coasties or the MSP accidently overwrote it not knowing it only keeps the last 30 minutes.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:44 AM   #5
Big3sCompanyFan
Banned!!
Banned

How is it pretty clear that Andy Emory jumped off the bridge with his wife? I don't remember much from that story but I remember they bought a bunch of stuff right before they supposedley commited suicide. It seems like Andy Emory intended to use that stuff and let his wife jump.

As far as Lana Stempien and Chuck goes why are you so sure Chuck had nothing to do with it?? He seems to be the most plausible reason as to why Lana is dead although I admit even that is a bit strage. This case has got to the MOST BAFFLING AND CREEPY DISAPPEARANCE EVER!! How you could just totally disappear on a Great lake like that in America???

They have already ruled out pirates since they are none of those around there but it is possible that a guy or guys spotted Lana and wanted her for themselves but they said she was not raped so what was the motive??? You could surmise they took Lana and got rid of Chuck but where is Chuck?? There really is not much evidence for a stranger taking them anyway. This is just an extremely bizarre case.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:23 PM   #6
UMLongtimefan
Frequent Poster

As far as I know Andy hasn't floated to the surface yet his wife did... (your wife goes through with the suicide pact and he turns around and has second thoughts? who picked him up??), neither has Chuck, could it be something about the density (and Chuck looked like a heavy set guy) of the male body (and maybe Emory secured the weights better) that causes it to stay submerged longer? They recently found a "jumper" after 8 months in the Detroit RIVER... 8 months the body was missing in a river with a current flow.. Chuck has vanished in a lake.

If Chuck was guilty of beating Lana according to the new witness (who I believe is mistaken or worse seeking publicity) why didn't Lana show up with a black eye and some substantial brusing if the "boyfriend" call may have made Chuck fly off the handle and kill her? Remember according to the new witness Chuck's hit Lana before (presumably over less) and we should believe he just pushed Lana overboard?

I'm sure at this point the MSP have searched Chuck and Lana's Cell phone records... how does Chuck get off the boat as part of his great escape that some in Lana's Family,Dateline and others want to believe? Did he use a mirror to signal a hidden accomplace with a boat and new id papers to help him escape ? Not to make light but my mirror theory seems as plausible as anything else presented on Dateline.

While nothing can be proved until Chuck surfaces.. the theory that he ran off to Canada,the UP or where ever seems to not only to be a stretch but slander.. how does he do it with no money? and Chuck doesn't exactly look like the type of guy who is suddenly going to go into the handyman business (Lana was the "Captain")....plus his friends and his family haven't heard from him either.

To me a lot of people are willing to point the finger at Chuck (a well respect lawyer) based on the allegations of a bartender and a stranger who comes forward after the case has been written about,talked about and televised on the national media. Again I believe the story about Chuck having too much to drink and yelling at Lana.... I'm not sure I totally believe the bartender who said she told him to look for Chuck if something happens (why hadn't her family or her best friend heard this and why is she willing to go on a boat for 4-5 day journey with this "DANGEROUS" man). I believe its the bartender's allegation that made the Stampeins want to believe Chuck had something to do with their daughters disappearance.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:54 PM   #7
nohwheregirl
Forum Regular
THE Mystery Machine

I agree that this is an excellent show. I'm sorry I missed it! It seems like this show has been around for a long time (I think it's an offshoot of Primetime Live?), but they produce very few episodes. I remember they did an episode a long time ago on Jacob Wetterling (missing boy from Minnesota) that scared the crap out of me. It just makes you wonder how could this kind of stuff happen?
Old 05-30-2006, 09:37 PM   #8
UMLongtimefan
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohwheregirl
I agree that this is an excellent show. I'm sorry I missed it! It seems like this show has been around for a long time (I think it's an offshoot of Primetime Live?), but they produce very few episodes. I remember they did an episode a long time ago on Jacob Wetterling (missing boy from Minnesota) that scared the crap out of me. It just makes you wonder how could this kind of stuff happen?

I remember the Wetterling case, and the first time I saw it was when Bill O'Reilly covered it for Inside Edition. That case still bothers me, he looked just like my best friend's kid brother.

I guess its the first case I also realized that the hope I always had that kids like Jacob wind up in a loving home with people desperate to be good parents was way different than the all too terrible reality.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:20 PM   #9
UMLongtimefan
Frequent Poster

Sounds like things might be getting a little ugly in the Rutherford Stampien case...

The Rutherfords (Chuck's parents) who have had to endure the near slander of their missing son for allegedly participating in the murder? of Lana Stampien, are suing her parents for his missing property. Apparently the Rutherfords believe the Stampiens are not returning the property out of spite.

The Stampiens deny the accusation and deny they are in possesion of any of Chuck's property.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:59 PM   #10
UMLongtimefan
Frequent Poster

Just an update on the Rutherford-Stampien case that was featured on this show. They were the couple who went on a boat trip and disappeared in Lake Huron. Her body has been found, his hasn't.

A Michigan court declared Chuck Rutherford legally dead. His family and friends have never heard from him and no one brought forth evidence that suggested he might still be alive.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:53 AM   #11
Big3sCompanyFan
Banned!!
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMLongtimefan
Just an update on the Rutherford-Stampien case that was featured on this show. They were the couple who went on a boat trip and disappeared in Lake Huron. Her body has been found, his hasn't.

A Michigan court declared Chuck Rutherford legally dead. His family and friends have never heard from him and no one brought forth evidence that suggested he might still be alive.

Yeah, he probably is dead but he committed a lot of verbal and physical abuse on Lana that was witnessed by many so it certainly seems like he could have been involved but if have thoroughly investigated that he has not contacted any family or friends or vice versa, etc. then he probably is dead.

This has gotten to be one of the most baffling and creepiest cases EVER including the ones shown on UM!! 2 people go on a big boat and THEY JUST VANISH INTO THIN AIR and only one shows up dead. The vastness of sparsely traveled Lake Michigan only adds to the creepiness!
Old 08-28-2006, 07:48 PM   #12
UMLongtimefan
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big3sCompanyFan
Yeah, he probably is dead but he committed a lot of verbal and physical abuse on Lana that was witnessed by many so it certainly seems like he could have been involved but if have thoroughly investigated that he has not contacted any family or friends or vice versa, etc. then he probably is dead.

This has gotten to be one of the most baffling and creepiest cases EVER including the ones shown on UM!! 2 people go on a big boat and THEY JUST VANISH INTO THIN AIR and only one shows up dead. The vastness of sparsely traveled Lake Michigan only adds to the creepiness!

The verbal abuse I believe, I think Chuck had way to much to drink and he was acting quite stupid that night in the bar. Its not an excuse, but who here hasn't said or done something stupid when they are drunk? I've seen husbands and wives in longtime stable loving relationships say horrible things to each other after drinking too much. No one reliable (a member of Lana's family or one of her friends) has come forward to say that this was a regular occurence in their relationship.

The physical abuse to my knowledge has only been alleged by one lone witness who came forward after the case received lots of local and national media coverage. Again NO one close to Lana has gone on the record as saying this was a part of their relationship, nor have any of Chuck's prior girlfriend's or friends stated that it was part of Chuck's character to be physically (or emotionally abusive). I believe this lone witness, is badly mistaken or seeking publicity.

The Stampiens desire to understand this case is understandable, they should respect the Rutherford's though and Chuck's own mysterious death unless serious evidence to the contrary appears. Unfortunately I believe in an attempt to make this case more interesting than it needed to be several media outlets have inflated the evidence and the likelyhood that violence on Chuck's part is what caused the couples demise.. indeed it could be just as likely that it was violence or incompetent seamanship on Lana's part that caused Chuck's demise yet these don't fit our into the media's ready made stereotypes.

BTW it was Lake Huron not Michigan, other side of the Mitten
Old 01-10-2009, 04:16 PM   #13
TracyLynnS
Don't Look Up

A body was found in May 2008 http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Arch.../msg01420.html

But they are backlogged in the DNA lab. They are comparing the remains found against about 6 known suicides and accident victims from the area, including Charles Rutherford.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:17 AM   #14
Big3sCompanyFan
Banned!!
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyLynnS
A body was found in May 2008 http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Arch.../msg01420.html

But they are backlogged in the DNA lab. They are comparing the remains found against about 6 known suicides and accident victims from the area, including Charles Rutherford.

Wow. Thanks for the update. But if that body was found way back in May of 2008 wouldn't we know by now if it was indeed Chucky? LOL! I doubt it was otherwise we would've heard by now.

Plus after YEARS underwater wouldn't the body have decomped by now??
Old 01-14-2009, 09:47 AM   #15
TracyLynnS
Don't Look Up

Big3s,

From what I read when I was looking all that up, people are suspicious about the excuse the authorities are using by saying that the DNA lab is that backlogged.

They are also asking the same questions you are. What's the condition of the body, wouldn't it just be bones by now, etc. But I couldn't find any good information on exactly what was found. I've read everything from it was a foot in a sneaker that floated to shore, to partial remains, all the way to a full body that wasn't in that bad of condition. (The last one completely rules out Charles.)

It sure is odd that there's no real info available.