Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Phil Silvers Show/Sergeant Bilko links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Phil Silvers Show/Sergeant Bilko Photo Gallery

Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - 50th Anniversary Edition

Buy Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - 50th Anniversary Edition on DVD
Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The First Season

Buy Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The First Season on DVD
Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The Second Season

Buy Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The Second Season on DVD
Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The Third Season

Buy Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The Third Season on DVD
The Phil Silvers Show (Sgt. Bilko) - The Complete Series

Buy Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1950s Sitcoms > The Phil Silvers Show/Sergeant Bilko
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: The Year in Sitcoms; NBC Sets Premiere for A.P. Bio
MeTV January 2018 Schedule Has Diff'rent Strokes; HBO Hit Comedy Returns for 2nd Year
getTV Acquires Norman Lear Sitcoms; Comedy Central Gets Scripted Comedy
Brooklyn Nine-Nine Starts on TBS Jan. 4; Fuller House Season 3, Part 2 Premieres Just in Time for the Holidays!
American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-02-2006, 12:40 AM   #1
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to TJ
Default The Phil Silvers Show (Sgt. Bilko) - The 50th Anniversary Edition DVD Review

Read it here:

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/thephil...dvdreview.html

Post your questions and comments about this set here. Maybe Paramount's best sitcom release so far.
Old 05-06-2006, 04:20 PM   #2
Sal

Here is another review that I found about the Bilko DVD, from Bruce Kirkland of the Toronto Sun, dated May 1, 2006.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

BACK IN THE BILKING BUSINESS: This is a slow week for major Hollywood releases, so that gives me the freedom to return to childhood. In this case, I'm referring to a nostalgic reverie inspired by the three-disc box set Sgt. Bilko: The Phil Silvers Show, 50th Anniversary Edition. It is a week away -- the release date is May 9.

The late funnyman Silvers was a TV superstar in the 1950s. He played a gold-bricking yet essentially charming rapscallion who turned the U.S. Army into comedy central. While hardcore fans wish Paramount had started with full-season sets, this initial box set selects 18 "classic episodes" from the debut of creator Nat Hiken's sitcom on Sept. 20, 1955, through the Weekend Colonel episode, June 17, 1959.

This may be a smart strategy, given that it is an education process to convince those who are not hip to Silvers' brilliance that he is still funny today. And he is, partly because the exaggerated situations are simple to understand, because Silvers' pace is electric with few lags even with the laugh tracks, and because people should be laughing again at and with the U.S. military today. It's healthier.

The show, which debuted under the dual title, The Phil Silvers Show and You'll Never Get Rich, soon became known under its star's name only, and nicknamed Bilko.

As the Sgt. schemed to win money at cards, dice or horses and mocked discipline and figured out ways to avoid his duties and his duty to God and country, Silvers cleverly made him a lovable goof, too. That quick pace was a trademark.

"I'm a very impatient comedian," Silvers tells interviewer Sonny Fox in 1985 in his last TV interview, "and I feel the audience is as impatient as I am."

The box set is amazingly well appointed with extras, especially for a show this old. They include intros by Silvers' sidekick Allan Melvin (Cpl. Henshaw), as well as that Silvers interview, a 1955 Bogie roast, a 1959 Pontiac commercial and a priceless skit on The Ed Sullivan Show that introduced the Bilko character nine days before the series debuted.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The one question that I would have about the DVD is that, I have yet to see a full listing of all the 18 episodes that will be featured in the set. So far, the reviews that I've read---which are all overwhelmingly positive---have focused on the impressive group of extras but have somewhat ignored the actual episodes. I'd like to see what they are first before going out and buying the DVD, which will immediately be placed in my "Must Have" list.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:18 PM   #3
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to TJ

Here are the episodes. Our reviewer had mentioned about 10 of them, but not all of them for some reason. I'll add them into the review:

Disc 1
------
1. New Recruits (09/20/55)
2. The Wac (10/04/55)
3. The Horse (10/11/55)
4. The Eating Contest (11/15/55)
5. Bivouac (11/29/55)

Disc 2
------
1. The Twitch (12/13/55)
2. The Investigation (01/10/56)
3. The Revolutonary War (01/24/56)
4. The Court Martial (03/06/56)
5. The Con Men (05/01/56)
6. A Mess Sergeant Can't Win (11/13/56)
7. Doberman's Sister (11/20/56)

Disc 3
------
1. Bilko's Tax Trouble (12/04/56)
2. The Big Scandal (05/14/57)
3. Hillbilly Whiz (10/01/57)
4. Bilko The Art Lover (03/05/58)
5. Bilko Joins The Navy (10/28/58)
6. Weekend Colonel (06/17/59)
Old 05-08-2006, 11:00 AM   #4
gilligan fanatic
Born to Be Bad

Send a message via AIM to gilligan fanatic

I should be picking this up real soon. Sounds great by the review

Filmaf ~ Twitter ~ Last.FM
Old 05-13-2006, 10:50 AM   #5
storrs19
Forum Regular
B&W TV Lover

Send a message via ICQ to storrs19 Send a message via MSN to storrs19

I bought this the day it came out for $30 at Best Buy and have watched almost every episode. It is spectacular. My only complaint is the same one with many tv on dvd series. Why couldn't they have left the network openings and closings intact on the episodes themselves?
Old 05-14-2006, 03:00 PM   #6
TV Knowledge Fan

Default Why, 'storrs'?

Because those episodes on the DVD are the SYNDICATED prints, that's why. Very few of the original network prints are known to exist, and those are mostly in collectors' hands. The original titles had a sponsor I.D.- "Brought to you by CAMEL! Have a REAL cigarette- have a Camel!"...or, "Brought to you by AMANA"...."Schick.."...and so on. The sponsor's product would be in a lower corner of the screen (with the animated grinning Bilko) during the original closing credits...and a credit tag at the very end stating, "THIS HAS BEEN A CBS TELEVISION NETWORK PRODUCTION FILMED IN NEW YORK" (at least during the first three seasons), which was seen in the syndicated prints, but no longer.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:18 AM   #7
TV DVD Fan

What was the length of the roast and the Bilko Growl? Also, how long approx. was each intro?

Pat

Sarah Connor: Maybe if you spend your life hiding who you are, you might finally end up fooling yourself.

- From the episode "Gnothi Seauton."