Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries > True Crime Shows
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

ABC Fall Pilot Review: Manhattan Love Story - Premieres Tuesday, Sept. 30; ABC Family Picks Up Young & Hungry for 2nd Season, and New Drama
ABC Fall Pilot Review: Selfie - Premieres Tuesday, Sept. 30; Starz Gives Us Sampling of LeBron James Produced Comedy
Week 1 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: Hub Network to Rebrand; Mork & Mindy to be Completed on DVD?
CBS Doubles Up on Big Bang on Mondays, Moves Mom; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of September 29, 2014)
Bounce TV Fall 2014 Info; Vintage SNL to Air in Primetime on Saturday Nights
VH1 Big Morning Buzz Live Returns with Comedic Co-Host; Hulu's New Series 11/22/63 Coming Soon

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)

New Girl - The Complete Season Three The Goldbergs - The Complete First Season The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Seventh Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season One How I Met Your Mother - The Ninth and Legendary Final Season Modern Family - The Complete Fifth Season

09/02 - Benson - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/02 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Halloween Episodes Collection
09/02 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season Nine
09/02 - The League - The Complete Season Five
09/02 - New Girl - The Complete Season Three
09/02 - Soap - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/02 - What's Happening!! - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/09 - The Goldbergs - The Complete First Season
09/11 - Growing Up Fisher - Season One
09/16 - About a Boy - Season One
09/16 - Awkward - Season 3
09/16 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray/DVD)
09/16 - South Park - Season 17 (Blu-ray)
09/23 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season One
09/23 - How I Met Your Mother - The Ninth and Legendary Final Season / The Complete Series
09/23 - Mama's Family - The Complete Fifth Season / The Complete Collection
09/23 - Modern Family - The Complete Fifth Season
09/23 - Mom - The Complete First Season
09/30 - The Donna Reed Show - Season 1 (MPI)
09/30 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Fourth Season
Other TV Series:
09/02 - Grey's Anatomy - The Complete Tenth Season
09/09 - Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
09/16 - CSI: Crime Scene Investigation - The Fourteenth Season
09/16 - Castle - The Complete Sixth Season
09/23 - Nashville - The Complete Second Season
09/23 - Scandal - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-04-2008, 04:30 AM   #31
RockMSockM
First Time Poster

I think one of the ones that stays with me is the episode entitled "Voice From Beyond":

It involves the discovery of a mummified body of a pregnant woman in a barrel found in the crawl space of a home that had changed hands 4 times over the period of 30 years. Apparently, the woman was murdered in 1969 and the body had been preserved thanks to the lack of oxygen in the canister/barrel.

Thanks to the forensic work done on an address book found with the body--along with other great police work--the primary suspect became her former boss at a plastic flower manufacturing company, who was the original owner of the house. Upon making this determination, the police question the man (Howard Elkins). He promptly kills himself the next day.

Not long after, more excellent forensic work reveals the unborn baby was indeed his, and he had assumedly murdered this poor girl to cover this up.

The episode really gets to me on so many levels: the fact that 3 families had lived in the house with a dead body; the sad, lonely life this girl had as a poor immigrant looking for honest work--with no friends in this country--and how she was taken advantage of, threatened and subsequently murdered; the fact that her immigrant status made it so hard for them to identify who this poor girl was, etc...

But the most moving part of this episode was the end, where they show how a tireless Newsday reporter--who had been working this case in a very classy way--actually traveled to the homeland of this poor girl (El Salvador) to notify her mother and relatives that her body had been recovered, and that justice--to some limited extend--had finally been done.

The story stays with me to this day.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:43 AM   #32
Zoneboy
Forum Celebrity
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rieder
I enjoyed the episode with the title "Grave Evidence." It examined the murder of Martin Dillon, a Pennsylvania lawyer. Dillon was murdered by his friend, Dr Stephen Scher at Gunsmoke, a shooting range owned by the Dillon family in June 1976. Patricia, Dillon's wife decided to end an affair with Scher. It prompted Scher to murder Dillon and he married Dillon's wife in 1978. After an autopsy was conducted in 1995 Scher was found guilty of first degree murder in 1997.

Scher, Montrose physician and convicted murderer, dies in prison

Link

Dr. Stephen Scher, a one-time Susquehanna County physician convicted twice of his friend's 1976 murder, has died in prison at the age of 70.

The Pennsylvania Department of Corrections confirmed Scher's Aug. 9 death at the State Correctional Institute at Laurel Highlands, which houses older inmates.

Scher, who medical office was located in Montrose, Pa., died of natural causes, officials said.

Scher and Martin Dillon, then a 30-year-old attorney in Montrose, Pa., were shooting clay pigeons on June 2, 1976, at Dillon's Silver Lake hunting camp, when Dillon died of a shotgun blast to the chest.

Scher claimed Dillon tripped over his bootlaces while chasing a porcupine with a loaded shotgun that discharged.

Two years after Dillon's death, Scher married his widow Patricia and raised his two children.

Scher wasn't charged with Dillon's murder until 20 years later, when a new autopsy pointed to homicide.

In 1997, Scher changed his story, saying he and Dillon struggled for the gun after a confrontation about Scher's affair with Dillon's wife.

A Pennsylvania appeals court threw out Scher's 1997 murder conviction on a procedural issue. He was convicted again of first-degree murder in 2008 and sentenced to life in prison without parole.

The trials were two of the highest profile criminal proceedings in the county's modern era, drawing media attention from across the country.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:04 PM   #33
Schubeydubey
First Time Poster

Definitely my favorite show too. Do you know where it is possible to view episodes from the show, especially some of the earlier episodes like the one you listed?
Old 10-04-2011, 11:46 AM   #34
MegtheEgg86

I actually have some of the Forensic Files DVD two-disc sets and have a number of favorite episodes from those.

- "Internal Affair" - Sherry Durall disappears and her husband Bob is later suspected; a check of Bob's government work computer reveals he had actually run such internet searches as "kill spouse" and "smothering".

- "Ghost in the Machine" - Pastor Will Guthrie claims he found his wife Sharon drowned in their bathtub, but investigation reveals she had overdosed on Tamazepam, a sedative not prescribed for her (but which her husband had a prescription for), just prior to the drowning. There was also evidence on Mr. Guthrie's computer that he'd tried to create a fake suicide note as well.

- "Sunday School Ambush" - Bob Andrews ends up murdered in his garage by shotgun. His wife Brenda is shot with a .22 pistol and claimed two masked men entered their home and committed the crime. As it turns out, Brenda and her known boyfriend (whom she apparently taught Sunday School with, thus the title) staged the murder and had even attempted to do so prior to that incident by cutting Bob's car brake lines. Examination of the rounds, Brenda's injuries, and a forged signature bring the truth to light.

- "Bio Attack" - Describes the 1984 Rajneeshee bioterror attack in Oregon. A group of guru-followers deliberately contaminated restaurants in and around The Dalles, OR with salmonella in an attempt to throw off local election results, as many voters would be too sick to go to the polls.

Go Vols!
Old 07-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #35
Frequent Poster
Call me Perm

"Sealed With a Kiss" is by far my favorite, but "Bio Attack" is another great one! Definitely one of those shows you never get tired of re-watching.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:26 PM   #36
DMRS
Occasional Poster

"Paintball" was memorable to me. A guy was convicted of a murder, and while in jail filed appeals, did all sorts of stuff from jail, some of whichs just seemed him wanting to be a pain in the ass. He also wouldn't let the police dept get rid of his vehicle, and made them hold onto it for 30 (40?) years or so. I think he had to be retried and some other people in that county or something, and that vehicle he wouldn't let the police dept get rid of for the past few decades, turned out to have evidence to make sure he would never leave prison.

Also, the ones associated with UM I found memorable. Offhand I recall seeing on TV the Mia Zapata episode, and the other about the woman killed in her hair salon, soon after they first aired. There are others but I recall being surprised the first time I saw those on TV and thinking to myself, "Oh, wow! I remember this from UM..."
Old 07-13-2013, 12:05 PM   #37
UMFaninMD
Forum Regular
I am Sherlocked

Some of my favorites:

The Dorothy Donovan case, which was profiled on UM.

Lisa Manderach - She was out shopping with her baby daughter and went into a store and the clerk, Caleb Fairley, decided to rape her because she looked like a woman on his sweatshirt. He was a vampire fanatic and apparently tried to re-enact the scene on his shirt. She fought him so he killed her, her daughter, raped her and dumped their bodies.

Joann Katrinak - She and her baby were kidnapped by Patricia Rorrer, her husband's ex-girlfriend, who wanted him back. Joann was shot and her son died of exposure. This was also profiled on On the Case with Paula Zahn.

Paul Nichols - He was murdered by his wife Barbara because she wanted insurance money and was having affairs. Thanks to detectives and his determined ex-wife, she was caught and convicted.

Then there was the one where the wife was being poisoned by her husband and he was cheating on her with a woman who wore cheerleading outfits for him, because that's what he liked.

The gay love triangle that led to murder, with the killer faking a suicide note.

I also liked "The Cheater" episode.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:19 AM   #38
wiseguy182

I saw a pretty unnerving one yesterday. It was called "Cereal Killer" (love those punny episode titles). It was about a man who killed his young son for insurance money. He had always treated the son rougher than the other kids. He was recently fired from his job where he was making great money, he had embezzled $80,000 to fund his expensive lifestyle. One of the re-enactments suggested he came up from behind his son while the boy was eating cereal and strangled him, it showed a glass of milk being knocked over that was pretty disturbing. He stuffed his son in a trash can and dumped him on the road. Thankfully the guy hanged himself as he realized he was going to be convicted.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:45 AM   #39
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
I saw a pretty unnerving one yesterday. It was called "Cereal Killer" (love those punny episode titles). It was about a man who killed his young son for insurance money. He had always treated the son rougher than the other kids. He was recently fired from his job where he was making great money, he had embezzled $80,000 to fund his expensive lifestyle. One of the re-enactments suggested he came up from behind his son while the boy was eating cereal and strangled him, it showed a glass of milk being knocked over that was pretty disturbing. He stuffed his son in a trash can and dumped him on the road. Thankfully the guy hanged himself as he realized he was going to be convicted.

I've seen that one before. The whole thing from the way he treated his son before to his literally dumping him was disgusting.

Over the weekend I've been watching my "Medical Mysteries" FF DVD set. I'm writing a paper on E. coli 0157:H7 and the Shiga-like toxin (SLT) it produces for school, and the "Core Evidence" episode covers the 1996 outbreak from Odwalla apple juice. I had to kick myself when the Legionnaire's Disease episode came up, because that would've been a pretty cool one too.

Other episodes I particularly enjoy on that set are "Breaking the Mold" (about S. atra, a black mold that produces mycotoxins that infested a family's million-dollar home and caused them bizarre medical symptoms), "Something's Fishy" (Stella Nichols kills her husband and a woman she didn't even know by tampering with capsule Excedrin, filling some of the capsules with cyanide she crushed up in the same bowl she crushed up algacide for her fish tank, which is what got her caught), and "Ultimate Betrayal" (the case of poor Dr. Michael Farrar, whose certifiable wife, Dr. Debora Green, not only slowly poisoned him with ricin via castor beans but killed two of their three children by literally burning down their house). Dr. Farrar survived the extremely dangerous poisoning, fortunately. Interestingly, Dr. Green completed her internship at Truman Medical Center in Kansas City, MO just two or three years before Tanya Kopric (featured on UM) began her own residency in OB/GYN at the same facility. Ann Rule wrote a book about the case titled Bitter Harvest.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:52 AM   #40
Frequent Poster
Call me Perm

Yes! Those medical related ones are by far the best ones of the series.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:13 AM   #41
lettucesolve1
Frequent Poster

Hi CrystalDawn,

I too like Forensic Files, I like the futuristic and creepy intro sound and the deep voice of the narrator. While the narrator is not as creepy as Robert Stack's voice and trenchcoat appeal, his deep voice makes it spookey for me. Also not seeing the narrator for FF is a good thing, makes him and the show that more mysterious.

Did you know that they made 100 new Forensic Files shows?

I did not, until 2 weeks ago. The FF narrator himself said on twitter (or via some other media) that they just completed 100 new shows. I want to see those! because now it is on CNN Headline news every Friday and Saturday night and Sunday afternoon called Mystery Detectives. Yet, they are always re-runs. At least in the past year every weekend would have different re-runs. Now a days cnn has the same FF shows from last week on again the next weekend. I never seen that before. Talk about too much re-runs.

Anyways the narrator for FF said they have 100 new shows, but they need a new network to pick them up. You would think cable tv channels like Lifetime or CNN-HLN or Tru TV would pick them up right away.

Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystaldawn
Anyone have a favorite Forensic Files episode they'd care to share?

My most favorite is one of the earlier ones where an extended family was sitting around the kitchen table, most of them drinking lemonade. Soon after those that drank lemonade became violently ill. I believe a small boy and a man suffered some extremely horrific side effects and eventually died. It was found that the woman who lived at the house had an ex-boyfriend who worked at a cancer lab. He had broke into her house and put some cancer causing agent into the lemonade hoping to kill her. The irony is she didn't even drink any lemonade that day. Anyway they plugged a book at the end so I read it and I must say it is one of the best true crime books I've ever read. They go into detail about what the poor victims went through physically but also the psychological torture the survivors went through the rest of their lives worrying if since they had drank the lemonade if they would eventually develop cancer from it. Also mentions what happened to the man who poisoned the lemonade. If anyone is interested in reading it here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/044...lance&n=283155
Old 11-12-2013, 11:25 AM   #42
lettucesolve1
Frequent Poster

Default (FFF) Favorite Forensic File

My most favorite Forensic File show was maybe not the scariest one. It was about the serial arsonist who sent a letter trying to frame another man for the fire crimes. The killer bought a box of envelops that were made wrong by the manufacturer. One part of the seal was deformed or crooked. They were able to trace the envelops to a nearby local small mom and pop store. They had either a receipt or footage of the man (or description) who bought them.

They were able to put him in prison for the arsons because of the company's error in line work processing.

Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystaldawn
Anyone have a favorite Forensic Files episode they'd care to share?

My most favorite is one of the earlier ones where an extended family was sitting around the kitchen table, most of them drinking lemonade. Soon after those that drank lemonade became violently ill. I believe a small boy and a man suffered some extremely horrific side effects and eventually died. It was found that the woman who lived at the house had an ex-boyfriend who worked at a cancer lab. He had broke into her house and put some cancer causing agent into the lemonade hoping to kill her. The irony is she didn't even drink any lemonade that day. Anyway they plugged a book at the end so I read it and I must say it is one of the best true crime books I've ever read. They go into detail about what the poor victims went through physically but also the psychological torture the survivors went through the rest of their lives worrying if since they had drank the lemonade if they would eventually develop cancer from it. Also mentions what happened to the man who poisoned the lemonade. If anyone is interested in reading it here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/044...lance&n=283155
Old 11-12-2013, 11:35 AM   #43
lettucesolve1
Frequent Poster

Yes, I remember this one. I think it took place in Spokane, Washington. That was truly pathetic. You notice that the man that killed the boy also bullied him long before. It's as if the father behaves like a weirdo and ends up doing a very weird thing - murder his own son! There was another case, not sure if on this show, where the step-dad kills his wife, but beforehand abuses her verbally and also verbally abuses his step son for many months. Seems like people who kill do so because they are weird and mean in the first place.

Back to the Cereal Killer segment - The dad was making $100,000 per year from his job, but had several credit cards adding up to $100,000. Thus he was poor and snapped. I do not get it, if you make $100,000 you do not need multiple credit cards. This segment goes to show you that some people with lots of money are in fact poor. They need to show off and brag and believe they are better than their in laws, friends, co-workers, and neighbors.

Many times white collar criminals only go to prison for 2 years or 5 years (or 10) for million dollar crimes like pyramid schemes or fake loan business. this dad should have manned up and pled guilty for stealing 80,000. He would probably only get 3 years in prison. That is better than suicide or life in prison.

Such killers always think they will get away with it by staging the scene or altering it. I personally believe most killers, who get caught, are stupid and gullible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
Old 11-12-2013, 03:18 PM   #44
Frequent Poster
Call me Perm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettucesolve1

Did you know that they made 100 new Forensic Files shows?

I did not, until 2 weeks ago. The FF narrator himself said on twitter (or via some other media) that they just completed 100 new shows. I want to see those! because now it is on CNN Headline news every Friday and Saturday night and Sunday afternoon called Mystery Detectives. Yet, they are always re-runs. At least in the past year every weekend would have different re-runs. Now a days cnn has the same FF shows from last week on again the next weekend. I never seen that before. Talk about too much re-runs.

Anyways the narrator for FF said they have 100 new shows, but they need a new network to pick them up. You would think cable tv channels like Lifetime or CNN-HLN or Tru TV would pick them up right away.

Eric

Any idea where you found this information exactly? As far as I know Peter Thomas doesn't have a twitter account but the executive producer does. I didn't see any mention from him in regards to any new episodes, other than the show going into syndication next June. I did a google news search and there's no mention of it either.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:50 AM   #45
lettucesolve1
Frequent Poster

It was from another website or forum. I hope its not a lie! He sounded sincere. I could not remember if he heard it from a twitter account or something else. maybe just google "100 new forensic files" maybe it will show up that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5353
Any idea where you found this information exactly? As far as I know Peter Thomas doesn't have a twitter account but the executive producer does. I didn't see any mention from him in regards to any new episodes, other than the show going into syndication next June. I did a google news search and there's no mention of it either.