Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

To have your access for this board blocked, please PM TJ.

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat > Chit Chat - Politics
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

NBC Summer Pilot Review: Marlon - Premieres Wednesday (August 16); Netflix Has the Best Worst Weekend Ever
Antenna TV Adds Prime Stacks for Rest of Summer; GLOW Gets Season 2 on Netflix
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 14, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: How I Met Your Mother Spinoff Still Being Considered; Reboots for King of the Hill and The Munsters?
Fri-Yay: Animated Sitcoms; School is Back in Session this Fall on TV Land's Teachers
Three's Company Stars Reunite for Antenna TV's '70s Rock & Romance Cruise; Kathy Bates Sitcom Premieres Aug. 25
TCA Summer 2017 Press Tour: Fox; HBO Renews Comedies Ballers and Insecure
MeTV Network to Add The Facts of Life, TJ Hooker, & More; Showtime Fall 2017 Slate

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July/August)

Father Knows Best - Season Six Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Sixth Season Alice - The Complete Fifth Season Rhoda - Season Four Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Four

06/13 - The Andy Griffith Show - Return to Mayberry
06/13 - That's My Mama - The Complete Series
06/20 - Workaholics - The Final (Seventh) Season
06/20 - Workaholics - The Complete Series
06/27 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Third Season
07/04 - Superstore - Season Two
07/18 - Father Knows Best - Season Six
07/25 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Sixth Season
07/25 - Girls - The Final (Sixth) Season (Blu-ray)
08/01 - Alice - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
08/01 - Crashing - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
08/15 - Rhoda - Season Four
08/22 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Four
08/29 - Will & Grace - Season One (Universal)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-19-2006, 03:08 AM   #1
Brent88
Forum Veteran

Exclamation 8 Nebraska Co-Workers share record $365 million Powerball Jackpot

Winning Powerball ticket sold -- in Nebraska

Sunday, February 19, 2006; Posted: 2:52 a.m. EST (07:52 GMT)

OMAHA, Neb. (AP) -- One person overcame the 1-in-146.1 million odds to buy a winning Powerball ticket worth a record $365 million, lottery officials said early Sunday.

Only one winning ticket was sold for Saturday's jackpot, the largest in the country's history, the Powerball Web site said.

Nebraska Lottery officials confirmed a winning ticket was sold in Lincoln, spokesman Brian Rockey said. They know where it was sold and will visit the site early Sunday to verify the ticket, he said.

As of early Sunday, no one had come forward to claim the jackpot, he said. "We don't know if the winner knows yet," Rockey said.

If more than one ticket was sold, the jackpot would be split. Rockey said Nebraska officials have not yet been notified they were the only state with a winning ticket from the Multi-State Lottery Association, based in Des Moines, Iowa, which runs Powerball.

The Powerball jackpot topped the previous lottery record, which was $363 million for the Big Game -- the forerunner of Mega Millions. That was won by two ticket holders in Illinois and Michigan in 2000.

Powerball's previous record of $340 million was won by an Oregon family in October.

People with dreams of winning the record jackpot stood in lengthening lines Saturday to buy tickets that flew out of machines at dizzying speeds.

West Virginia retailers cranked out tickets at a rate of 29 per second on Friday, said Libby White, the lottery's marketing director. North Carolina and Virginia residents called the West Virginia lottery asking for directions to the closest retailer, she said.

Sales in South Carolina reached $11,000 a minute on Friday, "pretty staggering," said John C.B. Smith, chairman of the state's lottery commission.

Jerry Bono, a furniture mover from Omaha, said he averages $10 worth of Powerball tickets per week, but goes for the big jackpots and leaves the lesser games alone. "If I lose, I lose, but if I ever hit, I'd get out of here and move to Las Vegas."

Powerball is played in 28 states plus the District of Columbia and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Last edited by Brent88 : 02-22-2006 at 10:53 PM.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:17 AM   #2
theshark8777
Hats for Bats

It wasn't me, I bought mine in Pennsylvania.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:52 PM   #3
Bobby F.
Banned!!
"Bob hates you."

Just let me have the interest earned off of it and I'll live happily ever after.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:03 PM   #4
Fonzarelli

It's ridiculous to give $365 million to just *one* person. Why would anyone need that absurd large sum of money? There's no way anyone could spend it all in a lifetime! Why not giving 365 people each a million? That's still a bit absurd though. They could make so many people happy, but instead they're doing silly things like this.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:44 PM   #5
Fleet
Forum Veteran
Mansions, limousines & H-ween

Send a message via AIM to Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzarelli
It's ridiculous to give $365 million to just *one* person. Why would anyone need that absurd large sum of money? There's no way anyone could spend it all in a lifetime! Why not giving 365 people each a million? That's still a bit absurd though. They could make so many people happy, but instead they're doing silly things like this.
The government will take about one-half of that in taxes.
Besides, which 365 people would get the one million each?
Old 02-19-2006, 05:34 PM   #6
theshark8777
Hats for Bats

$177mil was the cash value.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:39 PM   #7
Bobby F.
Banned!!
"Bob hates you."

Quote:

Bet you wouldn't say that if it was you who won. Wait...I take that back. You probably would.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:43 PM   #8
Fonzarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet
The government will take about one-half of that in taxes.
And we all know how poor you'll be after that one quarter is taken.

Quote:
Besides, which 365 people would get the one million each?
What does it matter? I just think it's better to make 365 people happy than just one.

$365 million for one person is just crazy.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:47 PM   #9
theshark8777
Hats for Bats

Quote:

What does it matter? I just think it's better to make 365 people happy than just one.

Well if more than 1 person picks those numbers, they would win too.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:41 AM   #10
Bobby F.
Banned!!
"Bob hates you."

Quote:

It's a game. You're over analizing it. This is how the left thinks. Take from the rich and give to the poor. It's one thing to look at it from what is going on in society but it's a game of chance and that person won the money. If 365 people had picked the money then 365 people would have gotten the money.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:00 PM   #11
Fleet
Forum Veteran

Quote:

He won, fair and square.

And, as I asked, how would it be determined which 365 people would get one million $ each?
Old 02-20-2006, 08:17 PM   #12
Fonzarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet
He won, fair and square.

And, as I asked, how would it be determined which 365 people would get one million $ each?
Like I said: that doesn't matter.

I don't know exactly how this lottery works. You could just draw 365 numbers and the people who got those numbers get a million each.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:47 PM   #13
Bobby F.
Banned!!
"Bob hates you."

Quote:

I don't know exactly how this lottery works. You could just draw 365 numbers and the people who got those numbers get a million each.

The amount to be won is determined by the amount of tickets that are sold for that lottery. So your way will not work. It's not neccesarily 1 person that wins it all the time. Who ever get the numbers gets a share of the money.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:25 PM   #14
Fleet
Forum Veteran

Quote:
And that is not what happened.
As we know now, 8 people won. After dividing the jackpot and after taxes, each will get $15.5 million, a far cry from one person winning $365 million (which would have been $177 million after taxes).
Old 02-22-2006, 03:28 PM   #15
Fleet
Forum Veteran

Quote:

Where did you get that kind of system? What if 365 numbers are drawn and only one person wins? Then were back to one person winning $365 million!