Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics


Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat > Chit Chat - Sports
User Name
Password


Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: An Early Look at What's Coming and Going for Next Season; Trial & Error Gets New Murderer for Second Season
Fri-Yay: What Show Could Use a Revival?; Trial & Error Adds Kristin Chenoweth for Season 2
NBC Picks Up 4th Season of Comedy; WE tv Acquires Madam Secretary
MeTV Network Makes Spring Change; Freeform Orders Pilot from Paul Feig
Antenna TV Adds More Alice in April; Andi Mack Gets 3rd Season on Disney
Decades Acquires Newhart Starting March 2018; Santa Clarita Diet Brings Out More Stars for Season 2
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of February 19, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Netflix's Disjointed to End After One Season; Will & Grace Revival Coming to DVD
Fri-Yay: Is the Era of the "Sadcom" Over?; TBS Lands Pilot from Emmy Winner
The CW to Expand to 6 Nights; Netflix Gets 5th Season of Grace and Frankie
CBS Renews Digital Sitcom; Judy Greer Is Not Kidding, She Joins Jim Carrey Comedy


New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February)

Trial & Error - The Complete First Season Superior Donuts - Season One Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Seventh Season Green Acres - The Complete Fifth Season Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season

01/09 - Girlfriends - The Complete Series
01/16 - Trial & Error - The Complete First Season
01/22 - Superior Donuts - Season One
01/23 - Baskets - The Complete Season Two
02/06 - All in the Family - Seasons 1-5
02/06 - Bosom Buddies - The Complete Series
02/13 - Broad City - Season 4
02/13 - Three's Company - The Complete Series - Come and Knock on Our Door Collection
02/27 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Seventh Season
02/27 - Green Acres - The Complete Fifth Season
02/27 - Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-07-2006, 01:06 AM   #1
TMC
Forum Celebrity
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 09, 2001
Posts: 26,485
Question ABC's Coverage of Super Bowls 19 (1985) and 22 (1988)

Who were the pregame announcers for ABC's 1980s Super Bowl coverage. Brent Musburger along with Dick Vermiel hosted the coverage for Super Bowl XXV (1991). I know for sure that Musburger was also there for Super Bowl XXIX (1995) since he can be seen covering the postgame, trophy presentation ceremony (nearby Steve Young) in the NFL Films highlight package. Chris Berman and Steve Young hosted the pregame coverage for Super Bowl XXXIV (2000). For Super Bowl XXXVII (2003), Berman and Young were joined by Michael Strahan and Brian Billick. For Super Bowl XL (2006), Chris Berman (and Mike Tirico, who could be considered Berman's co-host) and Steve Young were joined by Michael Irvin, Tom Jackson, and Bill Belichick, who sat next to Mike Tirico.

I'm pretty sure that Al Michaels hosted the pregame coverage for ABC's first ever Super Bowl telecast which was Super Bowl XIX (1985). I'm going to guess that Michaels was joined by O.J. Simpson. Frank Gifford, Don Meredith, and Joe Theismann called the game. I'm assuming that Simpson contributed somehow since the 1984-85 NFL season was his first of two seasons on "Monday Night Football."

I'm most interested in Super Bowl XXII (1988), which was the first Super Bowl that Al Michaels did play-by-play for. Who exactly hosted the pregame show for that one? Brent Musburger was still with CBS so he obviously, didn't host it. Meanwhile, ESPN (the normal employer for Chris Berman) wasn't quite the corporate synergy that it is today. So I'm assuming that Chris Berman or anybody else from ESPN had something close to do with ABC's Super Bowl XXII coverage.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 07:42 PM   #2
theshark8777
Moderator
Hats for Bats
 
theshark8777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 23, 2001
Location: northeast Ohio.
Posts: 5,259
Default

ABC didn't own ESPN during Super Bowl XXII, so I think its safe to assume that ESPN an its personalities had nothing to do with it.
__________________
Who ate all the pecan Sandies??
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 02:27 PM   #3
danderson400
Forum Regular
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 24, 2015
Location: danderson400
Posts: 347
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
Who were the pregame announcers for ABC's 1980s Super Bowl coverage. Brent Musburger along with Dick Vermiel hosted the coverage for Super Bowl XXV (1991). I know for sure that Musburger was also there for Super Bowl XXIX (1995) since he can be seen covering the postgame, trophy presentation ceremony (nearby Steve Young) in the NFL Films highlight package. Chris Berman and Steve Young hosted the pregame coverage for Super Bowl XXXIV (2000). For Super Bowl XXXVII (2003), Berman and Young were joined by Michael Strahan and Brian Billick. For Super Bowl XL (2006), Chris Berman (and Mike Tirico, who could be considered Berman's co-host) and Steve Young were joined by Michael Irvin, Tom Jackson, and Bill Belichick, who sat next to Mike Tirico.

I'm pretty sure that Al Michaels hosted the pregame coverage for ABC's first ever Super Bowl telecast which was Super Bowl XIX (1985). I'm going to guess that Michaels was joined by O.J. Simpson. Frank Gifford, Don Meredith, and Joe Theismann called the game. I'm assuming that Simpson contributed somehow since the 1984-85 NFL season was his first of two seasons on "Monday Night Football."

I'm most interested in Super Bowl XXII (1988), which was the first Super Bowl that Al Michaels did play-by-play for. Who exactly hosted the pregame show for that one? Brent Musburger was still with CBS so he obviously, didn't host it. Meanwhile, ESPN (the normal employer for Chris Berman) wasn't quite the corporate synergy that it is today. So I'm assuming that Chris Berman or anybody else from ESPN had something close to do with ABC's Super Bowl XXII coverage.

Keith Jackson was the pregame host for Super Bowl XXII. He was still ABC's lead announcer for college football at that time. It does make me wonder if he would have done the second wild card game had ABC been doing that in the 1987 season. My guess is that Jackson would have been joined by Bob Griese for that game, and the Super Bowl pregame that season.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 03:32 AM   #4
TMC
Forum Celebrity
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 09, 2001
Posts: 26,485
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danderson400
Keith Jackson was the pregame host for Super Bowl XXII. He was still ABC's lead announcer for college football at that time. It does make me wonder if he would have done the second wild card game had ABC been doing that in the 1987 season. My guess is that Jackson would have been joined by Bob Griese for that game, and the Super Bowl pregame that season.

I would automatically assume that ABC would in that particular scenario, use Gary Bender and Lynn Swann. If I'm not mistaken, they were the announcers for a game Broncos/Vikings game at the Metrodome in Minneapolis, that had to be rescheduled to a Monday night (and only aired on the Denver/Minnesota markets) because of Game 7 of the 1987 World Series (which was also broadcast on ABC).
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 03:34 AM   #5
TMC
Forum Celebrity
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 09, 2001
Posts: 26,485
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshark8777
ABC didn't own ESPN during Super Bowl XXII, so I think its safe to assume that ESPN an its personalities had nothing to do with it.

Technically, ABC by 1987-88 owned 80% of ESPN, which had been the case since 1984. Since ABC Sports at the time was unlike ESPN, an all-union shop they were still for all intent and purposes, separate entities.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:08 AM   #6
danderson400
Forum Regular
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 24, 2015
Location: danderson400
Posts: 347
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
I would automatically assume that ABC would in that particular scenario, use Gary Bender and Lynn Swann. If I'm not mistaken, they were the announcers for a game Broncos/Vikings game at the Metrodome in Minneapolis, that had to be rescheduled to a Monday night (and only aired on the Denver/Minnesota markets) because of Game 7 of the 1987 World Series (which was also broadcast on ABC).

I do remember Bender and Swann doing the Broncos/Vikings game, but for the longest time, i thought that game went a bit farther than the Denver/Minnesota markets that evening.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:25 AM   #7
EricIdlefan
Forum Celebrity
March Madness
 
EricIdlefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 12, 2003
Location: Seymour, TN
Posts: 44,148
Default

If I am not mistaken after game 7 of the World Series, Al Michaels then went to join Frank Gifford and Dan Dierdorf the next night in Cleveland for Monday Night Football. Talk about dedication indeed. He could had taken a night off.
__________________
March Madness!
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:23 AM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.5.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.