Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Laverne & Shirley links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Laverne & Shirley Photo Gallery

Laverne & Shirley - The Complete First Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Complete First Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Second Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Second Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Third Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Third Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Fourth Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Fourth Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Fifth Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Fifth Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Sixth Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Sixth Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Seventh Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Seventh Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Eighth and Final Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Eighth and Final Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Complete Series

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Laverne & Shirley
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Celebrate Halloween with The Simpsons on FXX; Sister Network FX Brings Back Comedy for 3rd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 23, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-27-2005, 07:56 PM   #1
jeffersonsfan
Frequent Poster

Default Why did L and S move to California?

I never could understand why the ladies left Milwaukee for La La Land. The show was never the same. Why do producers screw with a hit show's format?

If it isn't broke, don't fix it!
Old 10-28-2005, 05:22 PM   #2
shotzette
De Facto Queen of Everything

Unfortunately, it was broken. The ratings had declined, and when season 6 rolled around, Garry Marshall elected to once again "jump the shark" by moving the entire cast to Burbank. I guess they figured that they would have more story ideas by putting the gang near the weirdness that was Hollywood in the mid sixties, since they'd exhausted their late 50's/early 60's storylines.

It worked a bit for season 6with the girls being the ultimate "fish out of water", but by season 7, they were once again scrounging for ideas. In all fairness, I think everyone, TBTB, the writers, directors, and actors; were all just phoning it in at that point.

I really wish they'd taken the show off of the air a season or two earlier and given the fans a real ending, with closure; rather than just limp along to cancelation in season 8. Too sad.

Shotzette
Old 10-28-2005, 10:50 PM   #3
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersonsfan
I never could understand why the ladies left Milwaukee for La La Land. The show was never the same. Why do producers screw with a hit show's format?

If you are asking why the characters moved to CA it was because they lost their jobs at the Beer place and decided to move West to explore other job opportunities. Now if you are asking why the setting of the show changed, I would guess that it was because when season 6 started, that was the beginning of a new decade and maybe they felt it was time for a change.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:13 AM   #4
treky
Forum Veteran
star trek fan

the show probably wouldn't have "jumped the shark" when they did that if they didn't have half the city move with them!!

Granny: "How much fer one o' them red diamonds?"
clerk: "Madam, those are rubies."
Granny: "OK ask her kin we buy one offa her."
clerk: " The ruby I am talking about is not a lady."
Granny: "Lissen, how she got them diamonds is her business. I'm just sayin' ask her kin we buy one from her."
Old 10-30-2005, 05:53 PM   #5
shotzette

I totally agree with you, Treky.

They had a decent reason to relocate Frank and Edna (opening a franchise restaurant--good business opportunity) but much less so with Lenny and Squiggy, and close to nil with Carmine.

Did anyone else find the character of Sonny (Laverne & Shirley's landlord and Laverne's love interest during season 6) sort of "Carmine-lite"? The characters were pretty similiar, and I always wondered if they used Ed Marinaro to leverage Eddie Mekka into staying. It was sort of interesting that after Carmine moved to CA, Sonny only stayed for a handful of episodes.

Then again, who could blame Ed Marinaro for jumping ship and going to "Hill Street Blues"?

Shotzette
Old 10-31-2005, 08:01 PM   #6
jehobden

I remember a magazine article at the time stating that the show and the characters had gotten into a "Milwaukee Rut", so the show changed locations. It also skipped forward in time a few years, I think, since L&S was generally on the same 18-year time lag (between time when eps were set and actual year) that Happy Days was on, yet the 1980-81 eps had them in the opening credits w/ a banner saying "Happy New Year - 1965", and that banner changed to 1966 and 1967 in the last two seasons. I guess the show wanted to move forward in time to the post-Beatles timeframe, as the gals dragged their cardboard life-size poster of The Beatles into their LA apt.

BTW, a friend of mine, who's a Milwaukee native as well as still a resident there, has said that Garry Marshall has done more damage to Milwaukee than Jeffrey Dahmer! (Ouch, that's harsh!) I guess he didn't mind seeing L&S leave Milwaukee for LA at all.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:51 AM   #7
robyrob
Forum Legend
certified wackball#3

lagging ratings? - hey, lets just toss in some wacky, poorly-thought-out irreversible scenario that completely changes the entire premise of the show!!!
Old 11-07-2005, 12:37 PM   #8
megamanj2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersonsfan

And that's why all of Garry Marshall's post-Odd Couple shows JTS big time:

Happy Days: When Ron Howard and Donny Most left the show around 1980 or so.

Laverne and Shirley: This show jumped twice w/in the same setting. First off, the move from Milwaukee to LA, and the biggest jump off all was when Cindy Williams got pregnant and went on maternity leave, that left Penny Marshall almost completely alone and that season was really grating on many people!

Mork and Mindy: Probably when the birth of Mearth and when Mork and Mindy got married.

Joanie Loves Chachi: DAY FRICKIN' ONE!!! I don't know how Scott Baio can even sing, let alone even getting his start from this crapfest!
Old 11-07-2005, 06:30 PM   #9
jeffersonsfan
Frequent Poster

Thumbs down

Agree with you about Joanie Loves Chachi. Major mistake.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:33 PM   #10
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Joanie Loves Chachi was MUCH MUCH better than Mork and Mindy
Old 11-07-2005, 07:11 PM   #11
shotzette

JLC was truly one of the weakest links in the Happy Days pantheon. You know it's bad when even Garry Marshall wasn't truly on board with it. In his book, he stated that he knew he was in trouble when he started counting the ceiling tiles while on the JLC set.

Oddly enough, even though the show was mediocre at best, the trends of what people liked and didn't like had changed so much that even if the show had been good; no one was really up for another HD spinoff.

Then again, "Blanksy's Beauties" and "Out of the Blue" never got beyond their 2nd or 3rd episodes before they were cancelled.

Shotzette
Old 11-07-2005, 07:35 PM   #12
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotzette
JLC was truly one of the weakest links in the Happy Days pantheon. You know it's bad when even Garry Marshall wasn't truly on board with it. In his book, he stated that he knew he was in trouble when he started counting the ceiling tiles while on the JLC set.

Oddly enough, even though the show was mediocre at best, the trends of what people liked and didn't like had changed so much that even if the show had been good; no one was really up for another HD spinoff.

Then again, "Blanksy's Beauties" and "Out of the Blue" never got beyond their 2nd or 3rd episodes before they were cancelled.

Shotzette

I'm still trying to find a episode of Blansky Beauties
Old 11-07-2005, 11:13 PM   #13
robyrob
Forum Legend
certified wackball#3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroTVCollector
Joanie Loves Chachi was MUCH MUCH better than Mork and Mindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroTVCollector
I'm still trying to find a episode of Blansky Beauties
you'll be soooo-rry...
Old 11-08-2005, 10:49 AM   #14
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by robyrob

you'll be soooo-rry...

It would be a good show to have since I'm a Tv Trader. If i found I don't think I would watch it.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:11 PM   #15
seventies_sitcoms

L&S moving to L.A. has to be the worst "jump the shark" movement in history. Having them live in an apartment building of Hollywood hopefuls also didn't help. I swear the L.A. apartment is the set of Three and a Half Men.

I hated the L.A. years. They were annoying. If the show lasted into the year 1969 L&S could've been Helter Skelter victims of Charles Manson. That could've been a final episode. Nah! Make that Rhonda Lee and the stunt guy upstairs.