Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Wiki / Official Site / Lifetime Site / Lifetime Schedule / Spike TV Schedule / Robert Stack Tribute / Related Links /
True Crime Shows Message Board
/ All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Rare Game Show on GSN with TV Veterans; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of October 27, 2014)
Steve Coogan Tapped for Happyish Pilot for Showtime; Lifetime's Lizzie Borden Movie Turning Into Limited Series
CBS to Launch Decades, A New Digital Subchannel; The CW Orders Full Seasons of The Flash, Jane the Virgin
COZI TV Goes One Step Beyond on Halloween; FX Unveils Simpsons World
Hogan's Heroes Returns to TV Land; CBS All Access Service Includes Classic TV
Week 4 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: CBS Introduces CBS All Access; Even More Remakes of Classic TV Series Under Consideration; New Family Guy DVDs

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series Sgt. Bilko - The Phil Silvers Show - The Complete Series Family Ties - The Complete Series Happy Days - The Sixth Season The Jeffersons - The Complete Series Mork & Mindy - The Complete Series

10/07 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Christmas Episodes
10/07 - The Flying Nun - The Complete First and Second Seasons (Mill Creek)
10/07 - The Middle - The Complete Fifth Season (Warner Archive)
10/07 - The Office - The Complete Series
10/07 - The Wonder Years - Season One
10/10 - The Wonder Years - The Complete Series - Read Our Review / The Signature Edition / Seasons 1-3
10/14 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Third Season
10/14 - Two and a Half Men - The Complete Eleventh Season
10/21 - Married with Children - Seasons 5 and 6 (Mill Crek)
10/21 - The Soul Man - The Complete Second Season
10/21 - Square Pegs - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/28 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series
11/04 - Hot in Cleveland - Season Five
11/04 - Napoleon Dynamite - The Complete Animated Series
11/04 - Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The Complete Series
11/11 - Dads - The Complete Series
11/11 - Family Ties - The Complete Series
11/11 - My Favorite Martian - Best of Collection
11/11 - Taxi - The Complete Series
11/11 - Wings - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/18 - King of the Hill - The Complete Seventh Season / The Complete Eighth Season
11/25 - Better Off Ted - The Complete Second Season
12/02 - Happy Days - The Sixth Season
12/09 - Barney Miller - The Complete Sixth Season
12/09 - The Jeffersons - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mister Ed - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mork & Mindy - The Fourth Season / The Complete Series
12/16 - The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis - The Final (Fourth) Season
12/23 - My Favorite Martian - Season Two - Collector's Edition
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-03-2009, 11:05 AM   #61
yuppielawyer
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by justins5256
Pretty sure you can plead the fifth during an interview too. This is purely anecdotal, but I do remember seeing an AMW piece on the Kristin Smart disappearance and they showed a portion of the videotaped interview with that arrogant jerk who was last seen with her and he kept saying "I am exercising my right to plead the fifth" and he was saying this to every question the detectives asked him. Later, John Walsh called him a "coward" for hiding behind the Constitution (I wish I had a dime for every time Walsh has called someone a coward or a scumbag on AMW. They really need to hook him up with a thesaurus). But anyway, I would think it would be just as easy to refuse to answer their questions and then to request an attorney.
Yes, you can plead the 5th at any time. You're not required to be warned of your Miranda rights not to answer questions unless you are under custodial interrogation, but you can, on your own, refuse to answer questions at any time. FYI, if that tape is as you say it is, with the man saying he is exercising his right to plead the fifth and the detective still asking him questions, then that detective should be fired. If the guy had confessed to the crime and then led the police to her body after the detective asked a single question after he had said he was exercising his 5th amendment rights, none of that evidence could have been used against him, and he would have walked. So, John Walsh needs to STFU. You aren't a coward for exercising your 5th Amendment rights when the police are accusingly interrogating you in a murder case. You're smart. Ask all the people who have falsely confessed after police interrogation, recanted, but still were convicted, only to be exonerated years later by DNA evidence. I'm sure they would tell you now that they wish they had taken the 5th. If John Walsh doesn't like the 5th Amendment, he can go live in some country where they don't have it like Russia or Syria. Maybe he'd like us to reinstitute torture, too.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:48 AM   #62
Zoneboy
Forum Celebrity
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.
Default After 20 years, Frederick girl's murder still unsolved

'It was yesterday for me,' victim's mother says

Link

Tracey Lynn Kirkpatrick would be 37 today, a wife and mother, perhaps, and maybe an attorney.

Instead, she is mourned by her parents, her family and friends. Twenty years after her murder, she is also never far from the minds of the Frederick police investigators, who have worked since March 15, 1989, to solve the mystery of her violent death.

The Kirkpatrick family and Frederick police marked the anniversary of Tracey's killing with a brief vigil last night at the Westridge Shopping Center, where she was stabbed to death at 17.

Police hope that fresh attention to the cold case might finally bring them the final clues they need to bring the killer to justice.

Tracey's two sisters and a brother remain in the area, as do her parents, William and Diane Kirkpatrick.

"Everybody says, 'It's been 20 years. Don't expect too much, because it's been 20 years,'" Diane Kirkpatrick told The Frederick News-Post. "I look at them and say, 'Not for me.' It was yesterday for me."

She can't comprehend how the killer could live with such a secret for 20 years. "How can someone just go on with their lives like it's nothing?" she asked.

Frederick police say their continuing work on the case can be understood in the context of a smaller city which, even today, sees annual homicide counts in the single digits.

"You have to go back 20 years," said Lt. Shawn Martyak, 49, the commander of the department's criminal investigation division and a Frederick policeman for 24 years.

"Frederick probably had half the population, maybe 30,000," he said. "And while we got a murder now and then, this was a 17-year-old girl who was, according to friends and family, very squared away, very conservative. She made good decisions about her life and was planning for college.

"This shocked the entire community. It's not something anybody expected to occur in sleepy little Frederick," he said.

With retirements and reassignments, four Frederick detectives have worked on the case over the years.

"Every detective that has been assigned, from the very beginning, has taken the case personally," Martyak said. And each one has consulted with his predecessors, reviewing the case file annually, discussing new developments and considering new ideas.

The case was featured in 1990 on the TV programs A Current Affair and Unsolved Mysteries, and Frederick merchants put up most of a $5,000 reward, without success.

According to news accounts at the time, Tracey, from Point of Rocks, was an honor student at Brunswick High School. She wrote and published poetry and hoped to study accounting and go to law school. She had two part-time jobs and drove a 10-year-old Pontiac Grand Prix she paid for herself.

On the night she died, she was working alone at the Aileen Ladies Sportswear store in the Westridge Square Shopping Center, on U.S. 40 west of downtown Frederick.

Most of the plaza's stores closed at 9 p.m. When a security guard saw the lights at Aileen's were still on at 10:50 p.m., he went inside. He found Tracey's body in a rear storeroom. Police said she had been stabbed several times in the back and chest. There was no evidence of a sexual assault. The door had not been forced open, and $60 remained in the cash register. Tracey's purse was missing.

A man waiting in the front parking lot for his wife or girlfriend told police he saw nothing unusual. But investigators found blood drops in a rear hallway leading to the loading dock and trash bins. No weapon was ever recovered.

Two suspects developed over the years remain "viable," Martyak said. But while "it's plausible either one of them could be the killer, in both instances it falls short of having the last piece of the puzzle that's missing to corroborate that [either one] actually committed the crime."

In 1989, DNA technology was comparatively crude, and "very cost prohibitive," Martyak said. It was not until 1998 that a sample was submitted for testing. It was insufficient to develop a genetic profile of the killer, as was a second sample submitted in 2003.

But technology has advanced to where analysts can extract a DNA profile from no more material than is left by a touch. So Frederick police several weeks ago submitted "touch samples" from the case to a private contractor for the Maryland State Police. "We think this may be our best shot to get some other type of DNA, other than hers, from the crime scene," Martyak said. Test results are not expected for several months.

Police already have DNA samples from both of the suspects. Detectives check on them periodically.

In the meantime, investigators have presented the Kirkpatrick case file to two "cold case review panels," one national and another for the Mid-Atlantic region.

A relatively new concept and a first for Frederick, Martyak said, these independent panels of police investigators, evidence analysts, crime scene and forensic experts comb case files and suggest new leads or new technologies the local police might not have considered. "We expect this case to be reviewed by both panels sometime this year," he said.

Martyak said police continue to receive information about the case. "It's never too late," he said. "Even if they think the information they have doesn't help, call us anyhow and let us decide.

"If we can keep it fresh in people's minds, maybe - just maybe - we can get that one piece of information we need to bring closure to the case ... for the family," Martyak said.

Anyone with information about Tracey Kirkpatrick's murder is asked to call Frederick Police Detective Jerry Morales at 301-600-1226
Old 03-16-2009, 10:07 AM   #63
Zoneboy
Forum Celebrity

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.
Default 'He lived it, he breathed it.

FPD Cpl. Bob Servacek was deeply involved in investigation

Link

Retired Frederick Police Department Cpl. Bob Servacek is convinced he knows who killed Tracey Kirkpatrick.
"The case was solved in 1994," Servacek said. "As far as I was concerned."

Based on circumstantial evidence, he believes more than enough evidence exists for an arrest and a conviction. He believes a friend of the 17-year-old Brunswick High student killed her.

"What derailed the process was politics and personal agendas," Servacek said. "Certain individuals did not do their jobs and derailed the case."

He did not wish to elaborate.

Servacek took over the case in 1992 from retiring Cpl. Barry Horner, who was the first detective assigned to the investigation.

While most investigators had 12 to 14 cases to work on, the Kirkpatrick case was Servacek's sole responsibility for one year, 1994.

"Ninety-nine point nine percent of my day was working on the Tracey Kirkpatrick case," Servacek said. "It was probably the most sophisticated case I was associated with."

Servacek spent 171Ú2 years in the department's Criminal Investigations Division. He was at the department for 221Ú2 years.

He started from the beginning, poring over documents and conducting more interviews.

"He lived it, he breathed it," said Diane Kirkpatrick, Tracey's mother. "He never slept. He was constantly working on it."

Servacek thought about the case all the time. When he cut the grass, when he was with his children, when he slept, he said.

He still comes every year to the Westridge Shopping Center on the anniversary of Tracey's death. She was found stabbed to death in the storage room of the now-closed aileen Ladies Sportswear.

Servacek and Billy Kirkpatrick, Tracey's father, pace back and forth through the parking lot of the center and meet near the store. They talk about their families and how the past year has gone.

"We always come back the next March 15," Servacek said.

While police still have two persons of interest, Servacek said he is convinced only one is the killer.

He decided to retire in 1995, partly because of the Kirkpatrick case. It was rough telling the Kirkpatricks he would be retiring.

"I felt I let the Kirkpatricks down," Servacek said. "I don't know of anyone who knows the case better than I do."
Old 03-16-2009, 10:09 AM   #64
Zoneboy
Forum Celebrity

Default Part II of II: ‘The perfect crime’

Link

Retired Frederick Police Department Cpl. Barry Horner closed many cases in his 17 1/2 years as a detective -- mainly because criminals made mistakes.
He believes Tracey Kirkpatrick's killer committed the perfect crime -- probably by accident.

No incriminating evidence was found to identify her attacker using technologies in the late 1980s.

Horner was at the Frederick County Adult Detention Center when he heard the call go out about the killing on March 15, 1989. He was the last investigator to arrive but got assigned the case.

"For the first 72 hours," Horner said, "I didn't get a wink of sleep."

Tracey, 17, was found dead on the floor of the storage room of the aileen Ladies Sportswear store in the Westridge Shopping Center off the Golden Mile. The Brunswick High School senior had been stabbed many times. She had worked at the store for about a month.

No one reported seeing or hearing anything. All the money in the store was accounted for, and Tracey was not sexually assaulted.

Usually when Horner investigated a homicide, he knew why the person was killed. To this day, he still doesn't understand why someone killed Tracey.

"There was no reason for it," he said.

Horner looked at every angle and exhausted every lead he received.

Three months after Tracey was killed, police believed they had a break in the case.

A man who claimed his name was Don called a Las Vegas crime hot line confessing to the crime.

"I know this is going to sound surprising, but three months ago, I stabbed a girl to death," Don said on the message.

While people may believe he was setting himself up to be caught, the man said a lot of guys named Don are in the city. He said he would often talk to Tracey when she was working alone. The night she was killed the two had an argument.

"I took out a knife that I have with me at all times, and I killed her," Don said.

While he realized he "had created a lot of sadness," Don said he was not going to turn himself in because Maryland has the death penalty.

"I'm sorry about what I did, but nothing can change it," Don said as he ended the message.

Once the hot line alerted Frederick police, the investigation took a new direction.

"We were really excited that we had something to go on," Horner said.

Horner wrote a letter to Don asking him to come forward. The Frederick News-Post printed it on the front page on Oct. 10, 1989.

"I have learned through my investigation much of what occurred on March 15, but only you know all of what happened that night," Horner wrote.

He also addressed the caller's concern over the death penalty by telling him that the county's state's attorney advised him Tracey's slaying was not a capital offense.

"I am personally willing to work with you to resolve this tragic situation and I pray you now will come forward to relieve the hurt which Tracey's family and friends have suffered, as well as the pain which has consumed your life since that night," Horner wrote.

Authorities also learned that the same man made calls to a Massachusetts-based psychic. He discussed the killing and even sent her newspaper clippings about it.

Local radio stations played the tape of the "confession" on the air on the first anniversary of Tracey's death.

For all of Horner's and the department's work, the man on the tape is not believed to be Tracey's killer.

His name isn't even Don.

"While (detectives) could never absolutely rule that person out as suspect, the ability, the means, the connection, there was nothing that tied him to the crime at all other than calling and making up the name of Don," Lt. Shawn Martyak said. "(He) had some fascination with homicide and investigations and that type of thing."

Martyak believes there is a tiny possibility that this man could have committed the crime.

Police have not released the name of the man, and attempts to contact him were unsuccessful.

The search for Tracey's killer went national when two television shows, "A Current Affair" and "Unsolved Mysteries," aired segments on the case.

Horner believes he could have taken a case to the grand jury and gotten an indictment, but he did not believe he could have gotten a conviction. He did not want Tracey's killer to walk free and not give future detectives the opportunity to try the individual on stronger evidence.

"I did everything I could do with the ability God gave me as an investigator," Horner said.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:26 AM   #65
Zoneboy
Forum Celebrity

Default 20 years of sorrow

A look back at the unsolved homicide of Tracey Kirkpatrick

Link

Billy Kirkpatrick will take a walk at the Westridge Shopping Center around 9 p.m. today.
He has been at the shopping center every March 15 since 1989.

Twenty years ago today, a security guard found his 17-year-old daughter, Tracey, stabbed to death in a storage room at a clothing store in the center.

No one has been arrested for the homicide.

The time frame he walks is from when police believe the store closed until her body was found.

The family has planned a vigil at the West Patrick Street shopping center tonight.

The last time Diane Kirkpatrick, Tracey's mother, went to the shopping center was the night Tracey was killed.

"I haven't been in that parking lot since it happened," Diane said. "I don't even know if I am going to be able to go into the parking lot. ... I don't know what my feelings are going to be."

The search is on

Diane did not want Tracey to work. Her daughter insisted on it because she wanted to pay her way through college and not burden her parents.

"All she had on her mind was going to college," Diane said.

The Brunswick High School senior held down two part-time jobs -- one at aileen Ladies Sportswear and another at Barett Shoes, which were beside each other on the Golden Mile.

Tracey planned to study accounting at a small college and then work her way through law school.

"That was her dream," her mother said.

On March 15, 1989, Tracey worked until closing time at the sportswear store.

Diane stopped by around 6 p.m. to bring Tracey something to eat. No customers were in the store, and Tracey was reading a book. Before Diane left, Tracey told her mother she was tired and wanted to go to bed when she got home.

At 8 p.m., an hour before the store's closing time, Tracey's manager stopped by. When she left, Tracey was alone. No sales were recorded in the register after 8 p.m.

Deputy Don Barnes Jr. of the Frederick County Sheriff's Office worked as a security guard at the center that night.

He noticed a light on in the closed store shortly after 9 p.m., but he didn't check it out. He believed the clerk was finishing up before leaving.

When he returned around 10:30 p.m., the light was still on. Finding the front door unlocked, he opened it, called out for a response but received none.

Barnes went inside and found the 5-foot, 4-inch, 122-pound teen with hazel eyes on the floor in the storage room with stab wounds to the chest and back.

An investigation by the Frederick Police Department revealed no sign of struggle, so police believe she may have known her killer. The cash register drawer and receipts were found on the counter. No money was taken, and Tracey was not sexually assaulted.

Tracey's parents arrived at the shopping center before police could notify them of her death.

They were worried because Tracey was late. The two assumed her car, which had been giving her problems, had broken down.

Billy made the same trip to the center the night before. She was late that night, too. He found her talking to a boy she had dated. They decided to get back together that night, Diane said.

"We told her, 'Don't ever do that again without letting us know, because that worries us,'" Diane said.

When Billy and Diane pulled into the center's parking lot, they were met by police officers, cruisers and flashing lights.

"I was thinking that she got robbed," Diane said. "I told Bill, I said 'Hurry up. Get down there,' because if she got robbed she's probably scared to death."

Diane said she does not remember much after that. She later had to be treated at Frederick Memorial Hospital for shock.

The Kirkpatricks think of Tracey every day.

A framed picture is positioned on a table just beside the couple's dining room table.

They remember her love of poetry and how she would spend all of her time in her room reading and writing it.

One poem Tracey wrote, "Hands of Time," was written after she broke up with a boyfriend.

"As I sit to remember, I see the good times we shared that are no more. It seems now that time is running out and the love that I feel is drifting away. The love is gone. I'm alone now with no place to go. The hands of time have stopped."

It was published in the New American Poetry Anthology in 1988.

"I want people to remember her as she was," Diane said. "She always smiled."

"Helpful," Billy added. "And the one thing that might have got her killed: She would tell you like it was. She wouldn't hold back."

"She wouldn't lie," Diane said.

"She would tell you right to your face," Billy added.

Her parents can't imagine anyone being so mad at Tracey to brutally take her life.

Diane has been on medication since Tracey's death. Billy's on medication, too.

"I won't hardly go outside," Diane said. "I stay in all the time. Not unless one of the kids goes with me."

The couple have three other children, two daughters and a son, who have remained in the region.

Diane used to confine herself to one room in the family's Point of Rocks home. She has had several back surgeries and her mobility has improved a little since they moved last year to an apartment in Frederick .

"There was no use staying there," Billy said. "Too many memories."

Seven days after Tracey was killed, Billy talked to The Frederick News-Post about the possibility of her killer not being found.

"I won't give up," he said. "If they don't make an arrest, me and my family will keep the search going on. I wouldn't be satisfied until I found out who'd done it -- and why."

Billy still believes that today.

The Kirkpatricks have hunches about who killed their daughter.

"It (frustrates) me to think that someone can hold this in for 20 years and not let it out," Diane said. "I just can't get it in my mind to understand. How can someone just go on with their lives like it's nothing?"

Tracey's parents continue to hope the killer will be brought to justice, no matter how long it takes.

"Everybody says it's been 20 years. Don't expect too much because it's been 20 years," Diane said. "I look at them and say 'Not for me.' It was yesterday for me."
Old 03-16-2009, 10:30 AM   #66
Zoneboy
Forum Celebrity

Default Cold, but not closed

Link

Former Frederick City Police Detective Allen Droneburg, left, and Detective Jerry Morales stand next to a filing cabinet filled with thousands of pages of investigative work that has been done over the past 20 years since Tracey Kirkpatrick was killed. Morales is the current investigator on the case.

Just outside Lt. Shawn Martyak's office in the Frederick Police Department's Criminal Investigations Division sits a row of filing cabinets.
One five-drawer cabinet is almost full of files devoted to the Tracey Kirkpatrick homicide case.

"The case doesn't go away," Martyak said. "It never goes away."

Two detectives, both now retired, have identified two primary persons of interest, Martyak said. One former detective believes an acquaintance of Tracey committed the crime. That person continues to live in Frederick County. The other detective believes Tracey may or may not have known her assailant, who left Frederick after she was killed.

"Both of these investigations are plausible," Martyak said. "Each one falls short of corroborating the actual crime."

Nothing indicates the two committed the crime together.

Martyak hopes recent and future advances in DNA evidence technology will be able to close the case.

"We are hopeful it makes the link we are missing," Martyak said.

The department has several new angles to pursue.

About two months ago, the case was accepted by the Public Agency Training Counsel's Homicide Cold Case Review Committee. The department submitted the case in 2007.

For departments that do not have cold case squads, the committee gives a review process for old, unsolved homicides, according to the Indianapolis-based group's website.

Martyak expects the review could take about a year to complete.

The case is also up for review by the Maryland Mid-Atlantic Cold Case Homicide Investigators Association, but the department is not sure when that will take place.

The group meets in a roundtable format and a case is presented, Martyak said. Experts from across the area listen and offer ideas to help the investigation.

Additionally, the Frederick Police Department has secured funding to have certain pieces of evidence retested by private industrial testing labs through the Maryland State Police crime lab.

When Tracey was killed, authorities needed a dime-sized DNA sample to test, Martyak said. Now, only skin cells are needed.

"We want to take what we have," Martyak said, "and hopefully bring this (case) to a close."

Detective Jerry Morales has been assigned to the case since 2003. Martyak said he never puts the Kirkpatrick file away and looks at the case at least once a week.

Morales, an 18-year veteran of the department, is the fourth detective assigned to the case.

"I know this person is going to be punished," said Diane Kirkpatrick, Tracey's mother. "If not here on Earth, then the hereafter. The punishment will be far greater in the hereafter than it will be here. I'm not worried about that. I just want to look the person in the eye and ask why."
Old 03-16-2009, 11:42 AM   #67
hostedbyrobertstack
Frequent Poster

Wow, those are some good, interesting articles. It does only seem like yesterday from reading all of that. It is weird seeing the scene of the crime and seeing her parents. It's sad that her mom has trouble leaving the house and that the culprit can't even confess to give them closure. I'm sure Tracey would not want them to be like that, but it's hard when it's still unsolved to this day. Hopefully it will be solved in 2009 after this news coverage and forensics. Did anyone else notice the security guard's name was Don?
Old 03-17-2009, 08:59 PM   #68
hostedbyrobertstack
Frequent Poster

I wonder who the detective knows is the killer? It would really be hard to know who did it and not be able to get them behind bars. That would be torture, and they seem to have known who it is for quite some time. I think it was the night security guard...with new reasons from these articles:
1. He was employed as a police officer being a security guard at the center.
2. His name is Jr., so he may be the son of a police officer as well.
3. He is the only "witness" to the times of events, etc...
4. He would know how to NOT leave any evidence at the crime scene.
5. He probably walked back to the storeroom where tracey was and that wasn't unusual because he may have had "free reign" over the shopping center.
6. The argument must have been over "sexual feelings/relationship" that she rejected....as her mom stated, the DAY BEFORE she got back together with her boyfriend, and he may have been "Enraged" to hear that news.
7. He knew when she was "alone" at the store, so he could have gone in there frequently while on duty to talk w/ her.

I really want to see this case solved...and I think it will be in 2009...hopefully all of the media exposure will help as well.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:25 PM   #69
MissFit29
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostedbyrobertstack
I wonder who the detective knows is the killer? It would really be hard to know who did it and not be able to get them behind bars. That would be torture, and they seem to have known who it is for quite some time. I think it was the night security guard...with new reasons from these articles:
1. He was employed as a police officer being a security guard at the center.
2. His name is Jr., so he may be the son of a police officer as well.
3. He is the only "witness" to the times of events, etc...
4. He would know how to NOT leave any evidence at the crime scene.
5. He probably walked back to the storeroom where tracey was and that wasn't unusual because he may have had "free reign" over the shopping center.
6. The argument must have been over "sexual feelings/relationship" that she rejected....as her mom stated, the DAY BEFORE she got back together with her boyfriend, and he may have been "Enraged" to hear that news.
7. He knew when she was "alone" at the store, so he could have gone in there frequently while on duty to talk w/ her.

I really want to see this case solved...and I think it will be in 2009...hopefully all of the media exposure will help as well.

I never really considered that possibility. It makes sense in a way...same first name as the confession caller. But do the police believe it was a classmate of hers? Also, what about the guy who contacted the psychic? Maybe he knew who the killer was, or wanted to draw them out. Who knows.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:27 PM   #70
kadrmas15
Retired from Board 03/03/11

Well to be honest, I do think this was someone that was not some 17 year old kid that murdered Tracy. I will not say 100 percent for sure it was not but I tend to go against this theory. It seems the killer was overall quite good about not leaving trace evidence although he did leave a blood trail but this was in 1989 before DNA was well known amongst criminals so I am sure it never even entered his mind (or the cops) at that time that the blood could link the cops to the killer. But the way he stabbed Tracy and how many times he stabbed her, chances are he cut himself and bled. The fact she just happened to be alone plus no cash taken from the cash register, this was someone she knew and this person knew her routine well enough to know that she would be the only one working and knowing it would be late so the chances of a customer coming in were slim to none. It is obvious this person had a sexual attraction to Tracy and wanted a sexual relationship with her. When he was rebuffed and especially when he found out she was back with her bf he just could not handle it and went ballistic. Plus the fact he took her purse, I tend to believe that he took that as a trophy of his crime. It would not surprise me if he still had it. Every time he looks at that purse he feels just like he did while he was killing her. Scary and sad but this person whoever they are knew her very well.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:57 PM   #71
yuppielawyer
Frequent Poster

The problem with the one detective asserting that he knows who did it is that the two detectives working on it now each have their own favorite suspect. If one detective is convinced Person A did it, and another is convinced Person B did it, then, clearly, there is reasonable doubt in the case as to who did it. We don't even know if the former detective's suspect, the person he "knows" did it, is one of those two people.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:06 PM   #72
kamy
Forum Regular
UM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyLynnS
Here's a copy of her last reply to Dynoguy, I'm just posting it here for convenience, as it is a few pages back in this thread.

hey... I finally did get the tape, not sure if it came Saturday or today... last week i had a car accident and shattered my elbow, and then yesterday I was admitted to the hospital for a bad kidney infection. Yes, it was my dad's voice on the tape, and I'm prepared to do what I have to do. I'm in a lot of pain right now, and will probably go back to the hospital in the morning, but I will follow up and mail back the tape when I take care of the health problems. Thank you for your help. Its all a lot clearer now.

She says, that she finally got the tape, but wasn't sure if it came "saturday or today", but from earlier posts, we know that the method Dyno used to send the tape meant that someone had to be home to accept the delivery. Why does she not know if it was delivered "saturday or today"?

Then she mentions a car accident last week. Then says that she was ADMITTED to the hospital yesterday for a bad kidney infection and is in so much pain right now that she may go back to the hospital tomorrow.

I may just be picking apart her usage of the word "admitted", but if she was really admitted to the hospital just yesterday for a bad kidney infection, why is she already out of the hospital today, emailing with dynoguy, and considering going back to the hospital tomorrow.

The whole point of being admitted to the hospital is that you are staying at the hospital. It's not an emergency room visit where you are observed for a couple hours, treated, and sent home with scripts for drugs.

OR is that what she meant when she said "admitted"? Did she really mean that she was in the emergency room getting treated (not admitted), but needs to go back today because of the level of pain she's experiencing?

I also think the placement of her sentences within the email show us something:

I'm prepared to do what I have to do. (vague, noncommittal, trying to reassure dynoguy that she will do the right thing)

I'm in a lot of pain right now, and will probably go back to the hospital in the morning, (her very next sentence after she states that she'll do the right thing, is an excuse of why she CAN'T do the right thing. She's in pain, she has to go back to the hospital, blah blah, poor me)

but I will follow up and mail back the tape when I take care of the health problems. (So she said, but never did, because she was getting ready to give dynoguy the clincher in the following statement)

Thank you for your help. Its all a lot clearer now. (This is the GOOD BYE of all good byes. It's the equivalent of "I'll call you" after a bad date. As she was writing this, I don't think she ever intended to contact dynoguy again.)

Very good points, Tracy. After re-reading this thread, I can't help but think that if this girl is legit, that maybe she just freaked out and clammed up or something---I mean this is her father, the man that I'm assuming raised her and loved her. I would have a hard time with that myself...

I was looking for updates on this case, still nothing I see. I feel that this one should have been so easy to solve, but maybe this is another case where UM doesn't give us all the details......
Old 04-16-2009, 06:19 PM   #73
kadrmas15
Retired from Board 03/03/11

Haha Justin that was funny what you mentioned about if you had a dime for every time John Walsh called someone a coward or a scumbag on AMW you would be rich. Well, I will say Walsh is a guy, everyone feels sorry for him for what happened to his son but he has lost a lot of credibility with me over the years. Like when he was pouncing all around in front of Ira Einhorn calling him a coward and getting his face, basically Walsh looked worse than Einhorn more because Walsh was being unprofessional. Like Walsh saying he was going to send a slimeball off to a 6 x 9 cell and things like that. But yeah calling a guy a coward for exercising his constitutional rights was a new low for Walsh, gee John it is a thing called the constitution, Walsh instantly assumes everyone is guilty whenever accused so I guess it is not a problem for him if their constitutional rights get trampled on?
Old 04-16-2009, 06:29 PM   #74
justins5256

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadrmas15
Haha Justin that was funny what you mentioned about if you had a dime for every time John Walsh called someone a coward or a scumbag on AMW you would be rich. Well, I will say Walsh is a guy, everyone feels sorry for him for what happened to his son but he has lost a lot of credibility with me over the years. Like when he was pouncing all around in front of Ira Einhorn calling him a coward and getting his face, basically Walsh looked worse than Einhorn more because Walsh was being unprofessional. Like Walsh saying he was going to send a slimeball off to a 6 x 9 cell and things like that. But yeah calling a guy a coward for exercising his constitutional rights was a new low for Walsh, gee John it is a thing called the constitution, Walsh instantly assumes everyone is guilty whenever accused so I guess it is not a problem for him if their constitutional rights get trampled on?

Kadrmas,

Yes, I could not agree more about Walsh. In fact, the footage of him chastising Einhorn is even shown in the opening title sequence of AMW. Can you believe that?! OT but I'll be in Minnesota this summer to visit my grandparents. We should really meet up for a drink. Send me a PM.

Justin
Old 04-28-2009, 11:33 PM   #75
everybodylovesrs
Forum Regular

I'm sorry, I'm probably in the minority here- but I think if she told Dyno she thinks it could be her dad, Dyno should be obligated to turn that info over to authorities.