Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Wiki / Official Site / Lifetime Site / Lifetime Schedule / Spike TV Schedule / Robert Stack Tribute / Related Links /
True Crime Shows Message Board
/ All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: NBC Looking to Make a Problem Child Series?; Jeffersons, WKRP, and Facts of Life DVD Updates
TVGN to Rebrand as POP; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of September 22, 2014)
Sitcom Anniversaries Galore: Friends 20th Anniversary Marathon on TBS; Cosby Show's 30th Anniversary Stunt on TV Land
TV Land Fall 2014 Schedule Part 2; Gillian Jacobs 'Loves' Netflix with New Show for 2016
BET Fall 2014 Schedule with Fresh Prince; Michael Che Will Join Colin Jost at SNL Weekend Update Desk
Centic Fall 2014 Schedule; Hallmark Hall of Fame Movies to Move to Hallmark Channel
Summer 2014 Week 16 Sitcom Ratings

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September)

New Girl - The Complete Season Three The Goldbergs - The Complete First Season The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Seventh Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season One How I Met Your Mother - The Ninth and Legendary Final Season Modern Family - The Complete Fifth Season

09/02 - Benson - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/02 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Halloween Episodes Collection
09/02 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season Nine
09/02 - The League - The Complete Season Five
09/02 - New Girl - The Complete Season Three
09/02 - Soap - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/02 - What's Happening!! - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 & 2
09/09 - The Goldbergs - The Complete First Season
09/11 - Growing Up Fisher - Season One
09/16 - About a Boy - Season One
09/16 - Awkward - Season 3
09/16 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray/DVD)
09/16 - South Park - Season 17 (Blu-ray)
09/23 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season One
09/23 - How I Met Your Mother - The Ninth and Legendary Final Season / The Complete Series
09/23 - Mama's Family - The Complete Fifth Season / The Complete Collection
09/23 - Modern Family - The Complete Fifth Season
09/23 - Mom - The Complete First Season
09/30 - The Donna Reed Show - Season 1 (MPI)
09/30 - Mike & Molly - The Complete Fourth Season
Other TV Series:
09/02 - Grey's Anatomy - The Complete Tenth Season
09/09 - Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
09/16 - CSI: Crime Scene Investigation - The Fourteenth Season
09/16 - Castle - The Complete Sixth Season
09/23 - Nashville - The Complete Second Season
09/23 - Scandal - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-13-2005, 02:48 AM   #1
DarkDante
W/ A Lil' Help From My Friends

Default Any Thoughts On Cindy Anderson?

Cindy Anderson disappeared from the law offices in Toledo, Ohio where she worked in 1981 and UM profiled her case in the early 90s. In many instances one of the most frustrating things for investigators in solving a missing persons case is the lack of leads however, in the case of Cynthia Anderson part of the problem in solving her case lies in the fact that there seem to be several contradicting theories/leads that twist and turn into a hellish nightmare for anyone who is trying to make sense of her disappearance.

Cindy Anderson was a very religious young lady with strong ties to her community and her family. During the spring/summer of 1981 however she began to experience nightmares of being abducted in the middle of the night. Some people believe Cindy's anxieties were rooted in strange ominous declarations of love which were spray painted on a wall outside of the law offices where she worked. In the summer of 1981 messages reading "I love you Cindy by GW" appeared, were whitewashed over and reappeared again. These message unnerved Cindy so much that a buzzer to signal the shop next door was placed at her desk at the law offices in case she should find herself in danger. In addition whenever Cindy was alone in the office the doors were always locked.

On August 3rd, 1981 Cindy began recieving what appeared to be threatening phone calls while at work although when pressed on the issue later that day refused to elaborate. It is thought that these phone calls may have had something to do with some illegal activites that Anderson was privy to that were going on in the law offices involving drug deals.

The following day while alone at the office, Cindy Anderson vanished and was never seen again. A month later phone calls came into the police department claiming that Cindy had be abducted and was being held captive in the basement of a house in a nearby neighborhood. The caller however hung up before offering any specific location where Anderson might be found:

To this day the case remains unsolved however there are several leads and equally mysterious circumstances surrounding her disappearance

- The mysterious "GW" is believed to be a maintenance worker who worked at the complex where the law offices were located. He has since died.

- A romance novel Cindy was reading at the time of her disappearance was found open on her desk the day she vanished. It was opened to the only violent scene in the entire novel dealing with the abduction of the lead character.

- Cindy's purse and keys were missing from the office but her car was found locked and apparently untouched in the lot.

- There are at least three convicted murderers who are suspects in Anderson's disappearance and possible death including Anthony and Nathaniel Cook, two brothers convicted of nine murders in the Ohio area between them in the 1980's.

- The case was close to being solved in 1995 and in my opinion the scenerio that was brought to light then is likely what happened to Cindy Anderson, it is as follows: Richard Neller an attorney at the firm where Anderson worked was involved with now convicted drug dealer Jose Rodriguez Jr. - It is believed that either Anderson overheard drug transactions between the two men and was silenced because of her knowledge of these dealings or possibly this was what is being termed as a "message killing" due to a dispute between the Mexican drug cartel and the judicial system of Lucas County.

Cynthia's employer, attorney Richard Neller, represented Joey Rodriguez in a criminal matter that was supposed to be "fixed". The deal fell through and Rodriguez vowed to kill Neller's secretary to send a message. - This all came before a judge in 1995 who dismissed the information relayed by a jailhouse informent as bogus.

- One question does remain though if the above theory does in fact pan out despite what the judge thinks...If this was indeed a "message killing" why has Cynthia's body never been found?

- Furthermore it is alleged that Cindy Anderson's remains to this day can be found in the basement of a house on Heatherford in Perrysburg, Ohio.

This whole case gives me the creeps - Any thoughts?
Old 10-13-2005, 03:06 AM   #2
Awsi Dooger

Default Looks like you double pasted

Very good post. Lots of info I wasn't aware of.

But DarkDante, you need to edit it. The post is repeated just after, "This whole case gives me the creeps - Any thoughts?" At that point, the first paragraph of your post begins again, and the entire post is repeated.

I've done that before, tried to edit then mistakenly pasted pasted everything again. Luckily, this forum is very liberal in editing. I edited one of my posts last week after it had been here for days. On a political forum I post at, you only have one hour to change your post.

Jeez, talk about timing! Now I'm editing my own post here. DarkDante obviously edited already, in fact just about the same time I posted this. The repeated stuff is long gone.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:17 AM   #3
crystaldawn

I actually don't think the spray painted message had anything to do with Cynthia's disappearance. I think the maintenance worker probably had a crush on her and although it was a pretty over the top thing to do to get someone's attention all in all it was harmless, just unsettling. The most plausible explanation for her disappearance was involving one of her bosses and the things she overheard. It could be possible that Neller himself abducted and killed her. If that was the case him being a lawyer he certainly would want to make it so the body was never found because he knew it would make the case for murder harder to prove. I never really bought the whole "she's being held in the basement of a white house" call and was probably some crackpot. It is sad for her family that she has never been found. I also think the part she was reading in her book was just coincidental although admittedly a disturbing one.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:06 PM   #4
Kemistry
Forum Regular
Mysterious Intrigue

Send a message via AIM to Kemistry Send a message via MSN to Kemistry

I could've swore I saw an update for this case saying one of her bosses at the law firm was involved in her disappearance & murder but they could of retracted that for whatever reasons.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:53 PM   #5
mercy1825
Frequent Poster

sorry to bring up an old thread but I agree with echoes. I am POSITIVE, 100%, that I saw an update on this case in the mid to late 90's. Anyone else remember an update?
Old 01-23-2006, 11:56 PM   #6
Awsi Dooger

I'm sure there was an update also. I think it was a mention of the speculated Neller connection that Dark Dante included near the end of his post, and that Cindy Anderson either overheard drug transactions or was silenced as a message killing. I agree that is the most plausible scenario, although a judge tossed the info since it originated from an unreliable source.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:34 PM   #7
mozartpc27
Forum Regular
Vigilante Logician

My girlfriend and I just watched this one, and I got a lot of information not available to me before from reading this thread. Thanks for that, DarkDante.

It's funny, because absent this new info, she and I had reached the conclusion that Cynthia Anderson, in all likelihood, had walked away of her own volition.

First off, I think that DarkDante's original post in this thread is a little misrepresentative. Her father was evidently a religious person, and her family was religious (her sister insists the Cynthia was looking forward to going to a Bible college with her boyfriend), but there is no way to know for sure how Cynthia felt about any of this. Moreover, her father (who is one creepy dude, by the way) even mentions that in the weeks prior to her disappearance, she was becoming, essentially, more "worldly," spending more time on her looks than her "stomach." To me, it sounds like she was living in an environment that could easily have led an independently-minded young woman to want out, and her behavior would be consistent with a person who had secretly met "someone new" of whom she was sure her parents would not approve (because she probably met this person through the law office, outside the closed Church circle that was described as her "field of acquaintances"), someone with whom she perhaps expected to run away, someone she expected could support her in a more secular life style. With no obvious signs of a struggle and the front door still locked when her employers returned at lunch, there just didn't seem any reason to suspect that she hadn't walked away.

With this picture in mind, and keeping also in mind the absurdly convenient placement of the romance novel to that particular passage at the scene of her disappearance (I doubt someone coming in to kidnap her would have allowed her a moment to leave a book left to a certain page as a clue for people to find), much of the other "coincidences" can be read as an elaborate set up meant to build towards her ultimate act of severance: the dreams, the message (who's to say she isn't the on who painted it?), even the phone calls could have been set in motion by Cynthia herself.

I myself did not put much credence in the anonymous phone calls to the police about her subsequent whereabouts from the segment as it was presented, but if DarkDante is correct, and the rumor still has it that her remains are in the basement of a particular house, I am a little more interested, especially in light of this other information. One question: if there are so many details known about the house, why no search warrant?

At any rate, if the prison informant can be taken as telling a reasonable facsimile of the truth, our scenario went down the tubes. But the way that UM segment presents it, it screams "deliberate disappearance" to me, even though I'm sure one so elaborate, staged by a girl who is only 21, is relatively unusual. But living in a household with a father who feels comfortable essentially suggesting to a national television audience that his daughter was something of a strumpet because she was 21 and liked to wear make-up, and perhaps that that was the cause of her disappearance, can do strange things to people.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:01 AM   #8
Chris Billings
Frequent Poster

Hi Fellow Board People:

Lots of valuable information in the original post and the responses. Thanks everyone!

The attorney/drug dealer theory is interesting and something I had not heard before. But Im still hung up on the sprain painted wall. It seems to me anyone who would do such a crazy and bizarre thing is probably suffering from an obsessive disorder. And, if triggered (such as being rejected by Cynthia) could escalate their obsession to abduction and possibly even murder.

Does anyone know if the maintenance man responsible for the messages had a criminal record? Or if he had a history of sexual harassment? I sure would like to know more about this person.

Christopher
Old 03-29-2007, 11:32 AM   #9
dynoguy88

Default reply

mozartpc27, I couldn't agree with you more. Cindy's father was a bit confusing in the segment. Just because she started wearing a little more makeup and skipped breakfast once in a while, her father seemed to think that she was obbsessed with her looks and that might have had something to do with her dissapearence. Sheesh. She may have run away just to escape her oppressive family.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:50 PM   #10
wiseguy182

I didn't get a good impression of the father either, describing Cindy as "obedient". Granted, Cindy is his daughter, but he struck me as the type that would get carried away if he saw a shoe upside down, or something equally as trivial.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:20 PM   #11
DP1
Forum Regular

Yeah, the father really rubbed me the wrong way too. His comment was that Cindy had become a "debutant" because she started putting up make-up and such. To me, that seemed like such a snide remark about his daughter. He barely seemed to concerned throughout the entire segment. He's definitely one of these guys with a stick up his ***.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:08 PM   #12
kadrmas15
Retired from Board 03/03/11

I actually find these opinions about Cindy's father interesting and I agree with them. I had thought them in the past but never brought it up because I didnt know if I was the only one that felt that way or not. I do give more credit to the possibility that Cindy Anderson might have disappeared voluntarily to start a new life.

I really think that this is likely and the more I think about it the more likely that I think that is what she did. The reason I think that is, how could a grown woman be abducted in the middle of the day from a strip mall and have no one see it? I am sure there were people out and watching, especially during the lunch hour.

Her reasons for starting a new life would be several. Despite what the segment said I dont know that Cindy was a devout Christian fundamentalist. I think Cindy at least to me seemed like she was the liberal one of the family and she seemed like she wanted to kind of break away from her strict, ultra conservative family and strict religious sect that she had grown up in and had always been involved with.

Her sister said that Cindy was looking forward to quitting her job and two weeks and going to a bible college with her boyfriend which tells me that her boyfriend was also a part of this small, strict conservative circle. It sounded like Cindy for a woman of her age was doing well financially for herself so it is odd that she would at age 21 want to quit her job that she was doing well in and seemingly enjoyed to quit and go to college, a bible college especially.

I just have this nagging feeling that there is defintely more to the story than what her family was telling. I think they tried to make it seem like everything was hunky doory but it almost seems like Cindy did some stuff to create attention to make it seem like she might be at risk for being abducted. I even think it is possible, albeit a long shot that she actually spray painted the message on the wall to confuse everyone into thinking some kind of obsessed person was targeting her.

She then stages her own disappearance, changes her identity and is away free and clear. Clearly if she did disappear on her own she did not want to be found and didnt want her family finding her. I am sure she had more conflict with her parents than what was portrayed and it seems that this was increasing with Cindy caring more and more about her personal apperance and apperantly becoming more liberal than her father was comfortable with. I have a hard time believing this didnt lead to conflict between her and her parents, especially her father and it seems that she must have finally just tired of being part of a group that she didnt feel comfortable with.

Cindy's father to me, I dont know, I just got a creepy feeling from him kind of like how he acted as this soft spoken albeit very conservative guy, yet behind closed doors he may have been mean or something or at least very very strict with his family. I mean I am not saying he is necessarily a bad person, he just came off to me as being very arrogant and ignorant and just he really rubbed me the wrong way, I guess because he came off as being a little too conservative for me to be comfortable with.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:04 PM   #13
wiseguy182

At first, I didn't even question that she had been abducted. But the staging her own disappearance angle has definitely got me thinking...

Cyndi had the benefit of a locked door, which most people would not have had. That tells me she most likely would have only opened the door for people she knew, or at least screened the people she didn't knew. The only other scenario would have been somebody coming in through a back door, which I'm not even sure there was one. Interestingly, I don't recall there being sings of a struggle. were there? It would seem like somebody with bad intentions would go in either near the office's opening or closing time, but this happened during the middle of the day. If Cindy had to stage her disappearance, she might have had to do it in the middle of the day, because the attorneys would have been in the office at the open and close. She could have spray painted the messages and staged the hang up calls to throw people off, as well as stage the calls about Cyndi being alive in the basement of the house.

However, I'm not sure who could have helped Cyndi stage a disappearance. I don't think her boyfriend or immediate family would have helped, as they wanted her to go to bible college, and the attorneys appear to be stumped.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:55 PM   #14
DP1
Forum Regular

I haven't seen this case in a while so I don't remember the specifics. But if she had staged her own appearance...would she really stay hidden for this long? Wouldn't she have been found by now?
Old 04-02-2007, 11:34 PM   #15
kadrmas15
Retired from Board 03/03/11

Well, even though I am increasingly thinking that Cindy staged her own disapperance, that is a good point you make DP1 and that would be one thing that would make me think she was abducted. I still lean towards Cindy staged her disappearance, or I at least view it as a very real possibility, however unless her family troubles were that severe and unless she really truly wanted to stay hidden that badly I would think she would at least call someone to at least let them know she was alive and well even if she wanted nothing to do with her f amily.