Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Silver Spoons Online / Silver Spoons links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Silver Spoons Photo Gallery


Silver Spoons - The Complete First Season

Buy Silver Spoons - The Complete First Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > Silver Spoons
User Name
Password


Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

TCA 2018 Winter Press Tour: More Cable, Crackle, Paramount Network and More
TCA 2018 Winter Press Tour: Cable Roundup of IFC, AMC, Hallmark, Pop and More
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of January 15, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: American Dad Gets Two Season Renewal at TBS; New Details About Roseanne Reboot
Fri-Yay: What Does the Future Hold for Fox Sitcoms?; TCA 2018 Winter Press Tour: TBS and HBO
Hulu Orders 2nd Season of Future Man; Michael J. Fox Heads Back to Politics on TV
TCA 2018 Winter Press Tour: NBC; grown-ish Premieres Strong on Freeform
TCA 2018 Winter Press Tour: ABC, Includes ABC 2018 Midseason Schedule; Goldbergs Spin-off Pilot Airs Jan. 24
TCA 2018 Winter Press Tour: CBS, CW and Showtime; Remembering Jerry Van Dyke
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of January 8, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: ABC Pulls The Mayor; Hulu Adds 90s Animated Favorites
Fri-Yay: Brooklyn Nine-Nine Continues to Delight Five Seasons In; TCA 2018 Winter Press Tour: Fox


New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December/January)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
01/09 - Girlfriends - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-02-2005, 11:12 AM   #16
TVFactFan
Forum Legend
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffySlayer79
well, they probably count that Gary appeared on Silver Spoons once as Arnold.

Seriously tho, why aren't these being treated better on DVD?

I mean, I really have a hard time believing that more people bought Tour Of Duty than Diff'rent Strokes on DVD. IMO, Sony spends too much time on their 70's shows (yet oddly enough, not ODAAT, my fave 70's Sony title) and not enough on the 80's. A lot of people want FOL, SS and more DS on DVD. I understand why those shows aren't given the same care as Seinfeld, but they deserve better treatment than what they get. FOL is in TVShowsOnDVD's top 10 and Silver Spoons is pretty high as well.


Well in defense of Sony in regards to the 70's shows, they were classics. Can't say the same for the Sony shows in the 80's.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 02:11 PM   #17
Dean Winchester
Forum Veteran
Member
 
Dean Winchester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 28, 2003
Location: Louisville KY
Posts: 14,582
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroTVCollector
Well in defense of Sony in regards to the 70's shows, they were classics. Can't say the same for the Sony shows in the 80's.

I know you're a big fan and all, but I'd say to the average TV viewer, Diff'rent Strokes or The Facts Of Life is a bigger "classic" than That's My Mama, yet Sony saw fit to release both TMM DVD's at once yet they see that FOL is in the top 10 at TSOD and won't do anything about it, and that most people consider the first season of Strokes inferior to seasons 2-6 yet they aren't exactly rushing to get the GOOD episodes out (most of season 1 is Willis whining about how he doesn't want to be a Drummond it seems).

Basically all of my favorite Sony shows (save ODAAT and Seinfeld) had their heydays in the 1980's. I'm not a huge SS fan, but I am all for it getting it's fair treatment on DVD because I know if they treat SS will, they will with DS and FOL as well.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 02:16 PM   #18
TVFactFan
Forum Legend
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffySlayer79
I know you're a big fan and all, but I'd say to the average TV viewer, Diff'rent Strokes or The Facts Of Life is a bigger "classic" than That's My Mama, yet Sony saw fit to release both TMM DVD's at once yet they see that FOL is in the top 10 at TSOD and won't do anything about it, and that most people consider the first season of Strokes inferior to seasons 2-6.

Basically all of my favorite Sony shows (save ODAAT and Seinfeld) had their heydays in the 1980's. I'm not a huge SS fan, but I am all for it getting it's fair treatment on DVD because I know if they treat SS will, they will with DS and FOL as well.



I will agree with you, DS and FOL are better shows than That's My Mama
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 04:43 PM   #19
Dean Winchester
Forum Veteran
Member
 
Dean Winchester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 28, 2003
Location: Louisville KY
Posts: 14,582
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroTVCollector
I will agree with you, DS and FOL are better shows than That's My Mama

I agree totally that AITF, Jeffersons, Good Times, Sanford... are classic shows. But there's something wrong with the picture when Sony will release TABITHA and yet keep hesitating to release Silver Spoons, Facts Of Life and One Day At A Time and put more Diff'rent Strokes and Who's The Boss on the shelves.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 04:47 PM   #20
TVFactFan
Forum Legend
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffySlayer79
I agree totally that AITF, Jeffersons, Good Times, Sanford... are classic shows. But there's something wrong with the picture when Sony will release TABITHA and yet keep hesitating to release Silver Spoons, Facts Of Life and One Day At A Time and put more Diff'rent Strokes and Who's The Boss on the shelves.


I would think that Silver Spoons would be released before Punky Brewster
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 05:57 AM   #21
Moonlit_Suburb
Forum Regular
Member
 
Moonlit_Suburb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 20, 2004
Location: Location Location
Posts: 628
Default

Poor sales numbers for Punky Brewster? I had heard that sales for the first two seasons of Punky Brewster were "good" both from tvshowsondvd.com and through personal correspondance with Shout! Factory via e-mail. Shout! had also said that they would definitely be interested in releasing seasons 3 and 4 of Punky if they had the means, but there were rights issues. If sales numbers were "poor", why would they have released season 2 and be enthusiastic about releasing seasons 3 and 4? Shout! is a much smaller company than Sony...so maybe what they consider "good" sales numbers, are "poor" by Sony's standards. If that is the case, Sony should license Silver Spoons and the remaining seasons of Punky Brewster (if they own them) to Shout! Factory for DVD release.

I don't necessarily think its right to compare Silver Spoons to Diff'rent Strokes...maybe to Punky, but I would think SS would sell better than that show, anyway...

If Diff'rent Strokes S1 sold poorly, that only proves that Sony's TV-DVD polls are pretty useless. DS won the last poll, correct? And now it is selling poorly on DVD... They should pay more attention to stuff like tvshowsondvd.com instead of these shady polls they set up on their site...

Here are some current rankings for shows mentioned in this thread from tvshowsondvd.com...

Facts of Life: Unreleased Rank: 6th(!) Overall Rank: 11th(!!)

Silver Spoons: Unreleased Rank: 96th, Overall Rank: 197th

Punky Brewster: Overall Rank: 292nd

Diff'rent Strokes: Overall Rank: 346th

Facts of Life should be released without hesitation. As for Silver Spoons, it has a much higher ranking than Punky Brewster and is WAY ahead of Diff'rent Strokes in the overall rank as well. Sony probably doesn't care, but that's their problem. They should pay closer attention to that site...that is why it exists; to show companies what shows people want to see on DVD.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 09:53 AM   #22
TVFactFan
Forum Legend
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Suburb
Poor sales numbers for Punky Brewster? I had heard that sales for the first two seasons of Punky Brewster were "good" both from tvshowsondvd.com and through personal correspondance with Shout! Factory via e-mail. Shout! had also said that they would definitely be interested in releasing seasons 3 and 4 of Punky if they had the means, but there were rights issues. If sales numbers were "poor", why would they have released season 2 and be enthusiastic about releasing seasons 3 and 4? Shout! is a much smaller company than Sony...so maybe what they consider "good" sales numbers, are "poor" by Sony's standards. If that is the case, Sony should license Silver Spoons and the remaining seasons of Punky Brewster (if they own them) to Shout! Factory for DVD release.

I don't necessarily think its right to compare Silver Spoons to Diff'rent Strokes...maybe to Punky, but I would think SS would sell better than that show, anyway...

If Diff'rent Strokes S1 sold poorly, that only proves that Sony's TV-DVD polls are pretty useless. DS won the last poll, correct? And now it is selling poorly on DVD... They should pay more attention to stuff like tvshowsondvd.com instead of these shady polls they set up on their site...

Here are some current rankings for shows mentioned in this thread from tvshowsondvd.com...

Facts of Life: Unreleased Rank: 6th(!) Overall Rank: 11th(!!)

Silver Spoons: Unreleased Rank: 96th, Overall Rank: 197th

Punky Brewster: Overall Rank: 292nd

Diff'rent Strokes: Overall Rank: 346th

Facts of Life should be released without hesitation. As for Silver Spoons, it has a much higher ranking than Punky Brewster and is WAY ahead of Diff'rent Strokes in the overall rank as well. Sony probably doesn't care, but that's their problem. They should pay closer attention to that site...that is why it exists; to show companies what shows people want to see on DVD.



Sony Polls seem like they are pointless, especially since That's My Mama was released and it's ranked much lower than SS, DS, and FOL.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 10:27 AM   #23
TV_Fan
Forum Regular
Member
 
TV_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 15, 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 875
Default

Sony's release strategy really angers me. I mean they're RE-RELEASING stupid shows like Kingdom Hospital and yet refuse to release popular shows like Silver Spoons. I think they're truly out of touch with what fans really want.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 05:11 PM   #24
ClassicTV4Ever
Senior Member
Coming November 27th!
 
ClassicTV4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 02, 2002
Location: TV Land!
Posts: 1,393
Default

My heart has officially been broken in two. I was so lookng forward to Silver Spoons on DVD. I have a sick feeling that they'll pull the plug on One Day at a Time next since we still haven't heard anything concrete about a release. Sony blows major chunks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 07:37 PM   #25
theshark8777
Moderator
Hats for Bats
 
theshark8777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 23, 2001
Location: northeast Ohio.
Posts: 5,259
Default

That sucks! Sony is horrible, the were listing ODAAT for relase soon over a year ago, and it's still not out. Now this isn't coming out either. How sad.
__________________
Who ate all the pecan Sandies??
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 12:55 PM   #26
megamanj2004
Senior Member
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 21, 2004
Posts: 2,298
Default

Yeah, that's true! Sony acts too damn cheap w/ a lot of their shows! Look at how badly they've crammed eps. of 227's S1 DVD! Then they release both seasons of That's My Mama! all at once!

Does Sony ever stop to wonder why they're getting a lot of terrible responses from critics?

The only thing Sony sometimes does right is hardly keep the old Colmubia logos on local reruns of their shows some of the time. Even Paramount does a much better job w/ their DVD's than what Sony does.

It's sad to not see SS on DVD.
__________________
10 AND A HALF YEARS GOING STRONG!!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 02:01 PM   #27
TVFactFan
Forum Legend
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,369
Default

And the Fact that FOL and SS all lasted 5 years or more, u would think that they would get a release before that horibble show called punky brewster
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 AM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.5.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.