Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Silver Spoons Online / Silver Spoons links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Silver Spoons Photo Gallery

Silver Spoons - The Complete First Season

Buy Silver Spoons - The Complete First Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > Silver Spoons
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Celebrate Halloween with The Simpsons on FXX; Sister Network FX Brings Back Comedy for 3rd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 23, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-02-2005, 11:12 AM   #16
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffySlayer79
well, they probably count that Gary appeared on Silver Spoons once as Arnold.

Seriously tho, why aren't these being treated better on DVD?

I mean, I really have a hard time believing that more people bought Tour Of Duty than Diff'rent Strokes on DVD. IMO, Sony spends too much time on their 70's shows (yet oddly enough, not ODAAT, my fave 70's Sony title) and not enough on the 80's. A lot of people want FOL, SS and more DS on DVD. I understand why those shows aren't given the same care as Seinfeld, but they deserve better treatment than what they get. FOL is in TVShowsOnDVD's top 10 and Silver Spoons is pretty high as well.

Well in defense of Sony in regards to the 70's shows, they were classics. Can't say the same for the Sony shows in the 80's.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:11 PM   #17
Dean Winchester
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroTVCollector
Well in defense of Sony in regards to the 70's shows, they were classics. Can't say the same for the Sony shows in the 80's.

I know you're a big fan and all, but I'd say to the average TV viewer, Diff'rent Strokes or The Facts Of Life is a bigger "classic" than That's My Mama, yet Sony saw fit to release both TMM DVD's at once yet they see that FOL is in the top 10 at TSOD and won't do anything about it, and that most people consider the first season of Strokes inferior to seasons 2-6 yet they aren't exactly rushing to get the GOOD episodes out (most of season 1 is Willis whining about how he doesn't want to be a Drummond it seems).

Basically all of my favorite Sony shows (save ODAAT and Seinfeld) had their heydays in the 1980's. I'm not a huge SS fan, but I am all for it getting it's fair treatment on DVD because I know if they treat SS will, they will with DS and FOL as well.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:16 PM   #18
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
I know you're a big fan and all, but I'd say to the average TV viewer, Diff'rent Strokes or The Facts Of Life is a bigger "classic" than That's My Mama, yet Sony saw fit to release both TMM DVD's at once yet they see that FOL is in the top 10 at TSOD and won't do anything about it, and that most people consider the first season of Strokes inferior to seasons 2-6.

Basically all of my favorite Sony shows (save ODAAT and Seinfeld) had their heydays in the 1980's. I'm not a huge SS fan, but I am all for it getting it's fair treatment on DVD because I know if they treat SS will, they will with DS and FOL as well.

I will agree with you, DS and FOL are better shows than That's My Mama
Old 10-02-2005, 04:43 PM   #19
Dean Winchester
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroTVCollector
I will agree with you, DS and FOL are better shows than That's My Mama

I agree totally that AITF, Jeffersons, Good Times, Sanford... are classic shows. But there's something wrong with the picture when Sony will release TABITHA and yet keep hesitating to release Silver Spoons, Facts Of Life and One Day At A Time and put more Diff'rent Strokes and Who's The Boss on the shelves.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:47 PM   #20
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
I agree totally that AITF, Jeffersons, Good Times, Sanford... are classic shows. But there's something wrong with the picture when Sony will release TABITHA and yet keep hesitating to release Silver Spoons, Facts Of Life and One Day At A Time and put more Diff'rent Strokes and Who's The Boss on the shelves.

I would think that Silver Spoons would be released before Punky Brewster
Old 10-10-2005, 05:57 AM   #21
Moonlit_Suburb
Forum Regular

Poor sales numbers for Punky Brewster? I had heard that sales for the first two seasons of Punky Brewster were "good" both from tvshowsondvd.com and through personal correspondance with Shout! Factory via e-mail. Shout! had also said that they would definitely be interested in releasing seasons 3 and 4 of Punky if they had the means, but there were rights issues. If sales numbers were "poor", why would they have released season 2 and be enthusiastic about releasing seasons 3 and 4? Shout! is a much smaller company than Sony...so maybe what they consider "good" sales numbers, are "poor" by Sony's standards. If that is the case, Sony should license Silver Spoons and the remaining seasons of Punky Brewster (if they own them) to Shout! Factory for DVD release.

I don't necessarily think its right to compare Silver Spoons to Diff'rent Strokes...maybe to Punky, but I would think SS would sell better than that show, anyway...

If Diff'rent Strokes S1 sold poorly, that only proves that Sony's TV-DVD polls are pretty useless. DS won the last poll, correct? And now it is selling poorly on DVD... They should pay more attention to stuff like tvshowsondvd.com instead of these shady polls they set up on their site...

Here are some current rankings for shows mentioned in this thread from tvshowsondvd.com...

Facts of Life: Unreleased Rank: 6th(!) Overall Rank: 11th(!!)

Silver Spoons: Unreleased Rank: 96th, Overall Rank: 197th

Punky Brewster: Overall Rank: 292nd

Diff'rent Strokes: Overall Rank: 346th

Facts of Life should be released without hesitation. As for Silver Spoons, it has a much higher ranking than Punky Brewster and is WAY ahead of Diff'rent Strokes in the overall rank as well. Sony probably doesn't care, but that's their problem. They should pay closer attention to that site...that is why it exists; to show companies what shows people want to see on DVD.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:53 AM   #22
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Suburb
Poor sales numbers for Punky Brewster? I had heard that sales for the first two seasons of Punky Brewster were "good" both from tvshowsondvd.com and through personal correspondance with Shout! Factory via e-mail. Shout! had also said that they would definitely be interested in releasing seasons 3 and 4 of Punky if they had the means, but there were rights issues. If sales numbers were "poor", why would they have released season 2 and be enthusiastic about releasing seasons 3 and 4? Shout! is a much smaller company than Sony...so maybe what they consider "good" sales numbers, are "poor" by Sony's standards. If that is the case, Sony should license Silver Spoons and the remaining seasons of Punky Brewster (if they own them) to Shout! Factory for DVD release.

I don't necessarily think its right to compare Silver Spoons to Diff'rent Strokes...maybe to Punky, but I would think SS would sell better than that show, anyway...

If Diff'rent Strokes S1 sold poorly, that only proves that Sony's TV-DVD polls are pretty useless. DS won the last poll, correct? And now it is selling poorly on DVD... They should pay more attention to stuff like tvshowsondvd.com instead of these shady polls they set up on their site...

Here are some current rankings for shows mentioned in this thread from tvshowsondvd.com...

Facts of Life: Unreleased Rank: 6th(!) Overall Rank: 11th(!!)

Silver Spoons: Unreleased Rank: 96th, Overall Rank: 197th

Punky Brewster: Overall Rank: 292nd

Diff'rent Strokes: Overall Rank: 346th

Facts of Life should be released without hesitation. As for Silver Spoons, it has a much higher ranking than Punky Brewster and is WAY ahead of Diff'rent Strokes in the overall rank as well. Sony probably doesn't care, but that's their problem. They should pay closer attention to that site...that is why it exists; to show companies what shows people want to see on DVD.

Sony Polls seem like they are pointless, especially since That's My Mama was released and it's ranked much lower than SS, DS, and FOL.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:27 AM   #23
TV_Fan
Forum Regular

Sony's release strategy really angers me. I mean they're RE-RELEASING stupid shows like Kingdom Hospital and yet refuse to release popular shows like Silver Spoons. I think they're truly out of touch with what fans really want.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:11 PM   #24
ClassicTV4Ever
Coming November 27th!

My heart has officially been broken in two. I was so lookng forward to Silver Spoons on DVD. I have a sick feeling that they'll pull the plug on One Day at a Time next since we still haven't heard anything concrete about a release. Sony blows major chunks.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:37 PM   #25
theshark8777
Hats for Bats

That sucks! Sony is horrible, the were listing ODAAT for relase soon over a year ago, and it's still not out. Now this isn't coming out either. How sad.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:55 PM   #26
megamanj2004

Yeah, that's true! Sony acts too damn cheap w/ a lot of their shows! Look at how badly they've crammed eps. of 227's S1 DVD! Then they release both seasons of That's My Mama! all at once!

Does Sony ever stop to wonder why they're getting a lot of terrible responses from critics?

The only thing Sony sometimes does right is hardly keep the old Colmubia logos on local reruns of their shows some of the time. Even Paramount does a much better job w/ their DVD's than what Sony does.

It's sad to not see SS on DVD.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:01 PM   #27
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

And the Fact that FOL and SS all lasted 5 years or more, u would think that they would get a release before that horibble show called punky brewster