View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board
Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics
To have your access for this board blocked, please PM TJ.
|Register||FAQ||Members List||Photo Galleries||View Today's Active Threads||Search||Today's Posts||Mark Forums Read|
Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!
SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick
Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
||Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|08-27-2005, 06:15 PM||#1|
Join Date: Jun 23, 2001
Politics board FAQ with official threads (Updated 10/7/05)
I have totally revised this thread so that, rather than outline rules, I have posted an FAQ. Some of these aren't so frequently asked and a few of them might possibly come up. I have also included official threads. Some topics have come up numerous times. I have already added one thread (the Death Penalty thread)
Q: I have a problem with a moderator…
A: If you have any problem with a moderator for any reason, please do not post it on the board. You will need to contact TJ (the head admin of SO and the person in charge of appointing moderators. You can get his contact information in his profile. Posting it on the boards will only get your post/thread edited, locked, or deleted at the discretion of the moderator. It will also make you look bad to others.
Q: What is this about not being allowed to criticize or say something negative about moderators?
A: There are several reasons for this.
1. No good board allows people to criticize mods and admins publicly. I cannot think of any board that would even allow such a thing. Doing it on most other boards might get you banned, so you should consider yourself lucky that over here you will get off with an edited post or deleted thread and a warning.
2. You need to keep in mind that all moderators and administrators are volunteers. We do not get paid for our work (although that would be great, but that will happen when monkeys come out of my butt). Moderators take time out of their day to look over the boards. You should also remember that mods are not out there just to enforce the board rules. They are also here to help other members.
As a side note, members aren’t allowed to badmouth ANYBODY on SO. It isn’t just mods and admins.
Q: What do I do when I see a post that violates the rules?
A: You can easily help moderators by using the “Report Post” button at the bottom of the post. Simply click the button in the post in question, fill out the reason you are reporting this post (describing the violation is very helpful), click send, and it will send a message to the e-mail addresses of every mod who moderates that board. It is extremely helpful because a lot of what we moderate comes from the use of that button. We cannot read every thread nor do we have any desire to, especially with the high number of posts being generated on a daily basis.
If you see a post that you feel is against the rules, please report it. If you don't do that, then don't complain if action isn't taken.
By the way, if you see a post that is against the board rules, do not call that person on it. Retaliating or responding to such posts is NOT helpful. Also Junior Modding (trying to enforce the rules when you aren't even a mod, telling other members that what they are doing is against the rules, etc.) is also not allowed and it makes our work a lot harder when you quote these people's posts.
Q: I reported a post. Why was no action taken?
A: There are two possible reasons for this:
1. Moderators are not around all the time. Just because we have “the power” does not mean that we aren’t human. Some mods have jobs and/or school and do not have time to respond to reported posts immediately.
2. Before you report the post, you should make sure that the person actually broke the board rules. Just because somebody smart-mouthed you (unless that person flamed you) does not mean that they have broken the rules. Discussions on this board can get very heated and that is allowed provided that nobody insults another member. The board rules are outlined in one of the announcements by TJ. There are also a few rules here that should go for other boards but have not been edited into that announcement. Each reported post is evaluated and if we feel that something should be done about it, we’ll take care of it.
If you do not get an immediate response, please wait. Please do not report the post again. Even if you report the post, we’ll only know about it when we check our e-mail and it is annoying when our inboxes are flooded because someone got to impatient. Also, if you see more than one questionable post by someone, it is not necessary to report every one of those posts, unless it has spread onto another board. One post is enough.
Q: I think so and so member is using another name…
A: Please do not post that here or anywhere on the boards. For one thing, it is unfair to that member. Second, that person might not be using that screen name. Only mods and admins can know for sure (we are able to view IP addresses; we will not check them by request). If a member is trolling with another user name, then that is not allowed and is grounds for a permanent ban on the alias. Also if that member has been a troublemaker in the past, then that will be grounds for action. If the member in question is not breaking any rules or has not been in the past, there is no reason for us to deal with that member if he or she has more than one user name.
Q: Who are the mods?
A: We have a very beefed up moderating team just for you! The mods are as follows:
Seth (also an admin)
TJ also can be considered a moderator of this board but he doesn’t deal with any problems on this board unless he feels it is of the utmost importance. So there are four mods and one semi-mod. PB (pavanbadal) also has the ability to moderate posts and threads on this board but he very rarely posts on the Chit Chat boards. He focuses more on the TV boards and, like TJ, will only deal with issues that must be dealt with immediately (like porn, stuff like that). So it is a good idea not to rely on him to moderate this board.
Q: There is a rule against correcting grammar. Why?
1. It is rude and it is also bad netiquette. Would you want people correcting your grammar on a public message board?
2. The world does not spin off its axis just because somebody uses poor sentence structure or misspells a word. If you focus too much on errors like these, you have better things to worry about.
3. A user might not be American, might not have English as a first language, or might have a disability.
4. It is not helpful. It is insulting. I know people have good intentions when they do this but it does more harm than good. It can be embarrassing. Nobody deserves to be ridiculed for their grammar.
5. Spelling and grammar do not count here at SO.
Q: This user needs to be banned.
A: Moderators cannot ban members, only admins can do that. Unless a member does something extreme, like posting pr0n, erotic text, advertises, links to warez (sites that offer copyrighted material for free, which is illegal), links to pr0nish sites or sites not considered PG-13, or does something that is very extreme or inappropriate, then nobody will be banned. There are other kinds of ways to earn a ban but a punishment like that is only doled in the most extreme circumstances. Most members who break board rules not listed above are put on “Suspended” mode. In other words, they can view the boards but they cannot post. In “Banned” mode, you cannot view the boards at all.
Q: Can we bump up old threads?
A: Feel free to do so but you should read these guidelines first:
1. Please only bump up a thread if it is relevant today.
2. Please don't bump them up just for the fun of it or just because you feel like it.
3. And finally, please don't bump up an old thread to start trouble.
Last edited by Brian : 10-15-2005 at 08:23 PM.
|05-22-2008, 09:26 PM||#2|
Join Date: Jan 07, 2001
Location: Louisville, KY
Derogatory comments towards each other / personal bickering / other nonsense
Recently, thread after thread after thread here has been overrun by bickering between users whose debate has transcended to a personal level, dragging the entire forum down in the process. Well, I've had it. I've seen enough and I'm tired of it.
This is a blanket warning: Drop the petty nonsense, drop the personal bickering, drop the insults - just drop it. I'm not about to sit here and watch it go on any longer: The next time it occurs the actions taken will be noticeably more harsh than simply a warning: I WILL suspend or even ban in necessary anyone else involved in these fights. If someone is provoking you, report the post and walk away - do not start up another fight.
Meanwhile, if you're here just to stir up trouble, I kindly suggest you cut it out - my willingness to give users causing trouble 2nd chances is wearing thin. The politics board was shut down once in the past for nonsense like this, and I'm not going to let it happen again.
I also take the opportunity to remind you that any remark against a relgion, gender, ethnic group, or just about any word for which there's a slur: Those remarks won't be tolerated here. Any more usage of any of those words will result in the user using them being shown the door.
And no more talk of rotting corpses. I'm not a big fan of decomposition-related posts, and that imagery (particularly of historical figures) has no place here.
You folks are adults (or otherwise close to it). Start acting like it.
Former Administrator, 2005-2012
Former Member, DVD Review Team, 2004-2010.
Former Seth, 1986-2015
For questions, comments, troubleshooting, or forum help, please PM TJ.
|09-19-2008, 09:52 PM||#3|
An important note about the Politics board
Political discussion is a of different nature than discussing sitcoms, movies or music etc. We do our best to keep it as civil as possible. Name calling or personal attacks are not allowed; however, a moderate level of sarcasm is to be expected when discussing politics. The actual Politicians talk that way. Use the Report Post feature if something offends you. Keep it off the boards. If it's over the line, action will be taken. If the complaining keeps up, I may close the Politics forum down. That's one option. A second option is to make this forum Access Only. Another option is for chronic complainers to lose their access to the Politics forum. I haven't decided. I don't want a few members who can't handle the stress of this forum to ruin it for those who enjoy the board. I'm seeing members complaining of being bashed or flamed, and I'm not seeing it. I'm not going to have my Moderators driven crazy between now and Election Day. Enough is enough. Either toughen up or stay away. Anyone would be hard pressed to find a political forum that runs smoothly. If people can't find it elsewhere, don't expect a miracle from me. Don't expect perfection here.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|