Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

PB's Hooperman Mini Page / Hooperman links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Hooperman Photo Gallery

Hooperman - Season One

Buy Hooperman - Season One on DVD
Hooperman - Season Two

Buy Hooperman - Season Two on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > Hooperman
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: The Year in Sitcoms; NBC Sets Premiere for A.P. Bio
MeTV January 2018 Schedule Has Diff'rent Strokes; HBO Hit Comedy Returns for 2nd Year
getTV Acquires Norman Lear Sitcoms; Comedy Central Gets Scripted Comedy
Brooklyn Nine-Nine Starts on TBS Jan. 4; Fuller House Season 3, Part 2 Premieres Just in Time for the Holidays!
American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-01-2005, 03:02 PM   #1
LuLu Rogers
Forum Veteran
Colonel Brandon

Send a message via Yahoo to LuLu Rogers
Default Is There Any Chance Of Seeing Hooperman on DVD?

Do you guys think that they will release Hooperman on DVD? I know that John's comedy, Hearts Afire, comes out on DVD tomorrow. I hope that Hooperman will at least be considered for DVD.

"I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory, and even put a stopper in death."-Professor Severus Snape
Old 08-01-2005, 05:50 PM   #2
Pavan
Administrator
Forum Celebrity
SO News/Reviews Director

Location: Linden, NJ (Where Hal Linden got his last name from!)
Send a message via ICQ to Pavan

Yes, we can expect it soon. No details yet.
SitcomsOnline.com DVD Reviews -- We are #1 in reviews!
Old 08-02-2005, 11:41 AM   #3
LuLu Rogers
Forum Veteran
Colonel Brandon

Send a message via Yahoo to LuLu Rogers

Yay! Thanks Pav!
Old 11-08-2005, 10:00 AM   #4
Mrs. John Ritter
Forum Regular
John is my true love

Oh I hope they release it soon. I would buy Hooperman in a second. That is the only series that John did that I never saw.

I really love you Johnathan Southworth Ritter. You will always be in my heart.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:01 PM   #5
I Love John Ritter
Miss ya, John

That would be great, thanks Pav for the info!! It's a great show and I would love to have all the episodes on DVD.

Johnathan Southworth Ritter
September 17, 1948 - September 11, 2003
Five years without you.

Don Knotts
July 21, 1924 - February 24, 2006.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:51 AM   #6
Buffyboy323

Well Woohoo! Hopefully Hooperman get's here soon...Three's Company, Hearts Affire, and soon Hooperman!!!...Do you guys think Three's A Crowd will come to DVD? And 8 Simple Rules???...(I think they might be scared 3's a crowd won't do well in sales. And they might not wanna release 8SR because they probably don't think the 2nd and 3rd seasons will do that good. What do you guys think?
Old 02-26-2006, 10:49 AM   #7
staypuftman2004
NWO-4-LIFE

hopefully
Old 03-18-2006, 10:08 PM   #8
Mrs. John Ritter
Forum Regular
John is my true love

I totally agree with BuffyBoy323. I think they're afraid to release TAC and 8SR. I would love to see both of them on DVD though. I also want Hooperman to come out soon. I want to see it so bad.

John S. Ritter
September 17, 1948-September 11, 2003

I love you. :loveu
Old 11-16-2016, 07:49 PM   #9
Ron Ron

Season 1 coming in January!! I am getting this one!
http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Hooperman-Season-1/22819
Old 11-16-2016, 09:40 PM   #10
king of comedy

I enjoyed that show.
Old 11-17-2016, 11:03 AM   #11
MRPITT
Forum Regular

Season 2 is coming in January as well. Sweet!
Old 11-17-2016, 07:31 PM   #12
Ron Ron

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Hooperm...-1-and-2/22823

Pricing and art covers for both seasons.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:33 AM   #13
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Default Blasts From the Past! DVD Review: HOOPERMAN: SEASON 1 (1987-88)

http://www.cinemastance.com/blasts-f...son-1-1987-88/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn4VPJRyTvU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAYel8dKDtw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yen3IPFjuTg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INjTI0mismg

Quote:
While there are plenty of shows both new and old hitting Blu-ray and DVD every week, somehow many still fall through the cracks. Such was the case with the 80s TV series, Hooperman. It was created by Steven Bochco, who was enjoying of hugely successful runs on the shows Hill Street Blues (1981-87) and L.A. Law (1986-94). These programs (in particular, Hill Street Blues) stood out a bit from the norm by addressing heavier subject matter.

Hooperman was an attempt to straddle the line between the serious and the funny. Interestingly, it became one of the first major network programs to be classified under the newly coined term, ďdramedyĒ. The program won an Emmy in its first season but always had a hard time finding a following. In fact, it only lasted two seasons on ABC before it was canceled in 1989. It received a brief airing on cable in the 90s, but since then the show has never been seen. Olive Films have rescued the program from the vaults of complete obscurity and are now releasing both seasons on DVD.

Yes, in some respects itís a very dated 80s experience, especially notable when seeing the big hair on display and hearing the blaring, saxophone-heavy score. However, upon watching the Season One for the very first time, I found that despite a few minor caveats itís actually quite good. The show is certainly unique for its bold attempts to integrate and mix socially relevant issues and humor into its storylines. Admittedly, this probably wouldnít have worked at all without the benefit of casting; mainly, the likability of its leading man.

Hooperman (John Ritter) is a working class, San Francisco cop. However, heís a bit different from your typical, tough-guy officer. More often than not, he spends his time trying to talk down suicidal jumpers from building ledges and getting results through mediation rather than bashing in heads. His life is complicated when his elderly apartment landlord passes away and leaves him not only in possession of the complex, but also her ill-tempered terrier. Unfortunately, the building is in disrepair, adding more to his full schedule. He finds some help after hiring building manager Susan Smith (Debrah Farentino), whom he develops feelings for.

As mentioned, the show attempts to tackle a lot more in each 24-minute episode than a typical sit-com. There are typically two main plotlines and in many of the shows one arc deals with a serious issue. It does seem a bit rushed at times and resolutions come quickly and are simplified (particularly some of the leadís tactics), but thereís more than enough charm on display to make up for its shortcomings. While the producers really milk the on-again, off-again relationship between Hooperman and Smith for all itís worth, there is a lot of onscreen chemistry present between the stars.

One also must give credit for the showís wide and diverse cast of characters. While it may seem commonplace today, many of the roles presented were unique for their time. Hoopermanís romantic interest is an exceptional plumber, his Captain (Barbara Bosson) is a recently divorced woman and a co-worker (Joseph Gian) is gay. The gay cop is being pursued by a fellow officer (Sydney Walsh) who wants to sway him away from his orientation and canít seem to take a hint. Another inspector (Felton Perry) is a trivia show fanatic. Of course, thereís also an grizzled, macho, old-fashioned policeman (Clarence Felder) for the characters to butt heads with. This character often ends up with egg on his face as a result of his outdated views.

Over a period of 22 episodes, the characters are fleshed out more and more. And as expected, Ritterís comic timing is phenomenal. Thereís at least one great quip or comment from the actor in every episode, even in the more serious tales. There are some really funny interactions with his snippy dog in early episodes. And some of the continued storylines (like the Captainís ongoing divorce proceedings) running through the series result in some amusing gags and turns down the line. Thereís even a Christmas-themed episode that juggles multiple stories effectively. Not everything works, but more of it is successful than many might expect.

While the discs themselves donít offer any extra material, itís fantastic to be able to see the show at all. After this programís brief run, Bochco moved on to create many other notable shows, including Doogie Howser, M.D. (1989-93), NYPD Blue (1993-2005) and Murder in the First (2014-16). Based on the first season, this series deserved to last longer than it did. Honestly, by todayís standards itís far more engaging than the exaggerated antics of the L.A. Law solicitors. This was a nervy series that set its sights a little bit higher than most of its colleagues of the era. If you remember the show or were a fan of Hooperman, youíll be very happy.