Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Laverne & Shirley links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Laverne & Shirley Photo Gallery

Laverne & Shirley - The Complete First Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Complete First Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Second Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Second Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Third Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Third Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Fourth Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Fourth Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Fifth Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Fifth Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Sixth Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Sixth Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Seventh Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Seventh Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Eighth and Final Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Eighth and Final Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Complete Series

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Laverne & Shirley
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: The Year in Sitcoms; NBC Sets Premiere for A.P. Bio
MeTV January 2018 Schedule Has Diff'rent Strokes; HBO Hit Comedy Returns for 2nd Year
getTV Acquires Norman Lear Sitcoms; Comedy Central Gets Scripted Comedy
Brooklyn Nine-Nine Starts on TBS Jan. 4; Fuller House Season 3, Part 2 Premieres Just in Time for the Holidays!
American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-02-2005, 11:07 PM   #31
GeminiX1985
Forum Regular
Laverne Defazio @ <3

Send a message via AIM to GeminiX1985 Send a message via MSN to GeminiX1985 Send a message via Yahoo to GeminiX1985

Yes, Cindy is getting a lot of that Military crap; she gets sick of it after awhile but there's no way she can stop it And her site is www.cindywilliams.com from the last time I checked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edster2973
You're most welcome, and nope, I am not the same Ed. What is Cindy's webpage? I'd like to re-visit it. The poor thing's guest book has every other response lambasting her for nasty comments about paid military. Of course, we know it's not our Cindy Williams who made those nasty remarks, but would that the general public knew that. She must be sick of responding to it by now. Perhaps she should have a caption on the mainpage that addresses the matter so that people know about it first thing.

In any case, I'm glad I was able to help clear up the DVD confusion...

Ed
Old 10-02-2005, 11:25 PM   #32
Edster2973
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiX1985
Yes, Cindy is getting a lot of that Military crap; she gets sick of it after awhile but there's no way she can stop it And her site is www.cindywilliams.com from the last time I checked

Thanks for the URL. I feel kind of silly for not even knowing it.

As for the military thing, I really feel Cindy should have a message on the mainpage of her site so that people going in know right away that she is not 'that' Cindy Williams. I know it'd be a tad drastic but I think in the long run it'd be better than having to address it every time some uninformed but well-meaning person attacks her for it. It wouldn't have to be put in lights or anything. Just a disclaimer of sorts that's visible enough so that she'd be spared more verbal onslaughts.

Ed
Old 10-02-2005, 11:36 PM   #33
GeminiX1985
Forum Regular
Laverne Defazio @ <3

Send a message via AIM to GeminiX1985 Send a message via MSN to GeminiX1985 Send a message via Yahoo to GeminiX1985

You're welcome! And with the Military thing, I don't think that they would even see the message; they just post on her guest book right away before really looking at the other posts to know that there's just been a mix up with the two women.

Quote:
Thanks for the URL. I feel kind of silly for not even knowing it.

As for the military thing, I really feel Cindy should have a message on the mainpage of her site so that people going in know right away that she is not 'that' Cindy Williams. I know it'd be a tad drastic but I think in the long run it'd be better than having to address it every time some uninformed but well-meaning person attacks her for it. It wouldn't have to be put in lights or anything. Just a disclaimer of sorts that's visible enough so that she'd be spared more verbal onslaughts.

Ed
Old 10-07-2005, 01:38 PM   #34
Moondance
MCR

Poor Cindy. I haven't been to her site in a long time. Maybe I should stop by and take a look.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:08 PM   #35
retarrdgrrl
Frequent Poster

Fans of these shows tend to be much older

I have been watching Laverene and Shirley since I was 4, 5,6 years old. I'm only 21
Old 10-07-2005, 08:56 PM   #36
Edster2973
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by retarrdgrrl
Fans of these shows tend to be much older

I have been watching Laverene and Shirley since I was 4, 5,6 years old. I'm only 21

So? What's your point? I said that 'Fans of these shows TEND to be much older.' Did I say that ALL fans of these shows are older? No I did not.

There are always exceptions. My point in saying so was to explain why sales for Laverne & Shirley are NOT a sure thing, and I still stand by that. Most people your age would be more inclined to spend $45/$50 on Friends and Seinfeld Season sets than they would on older shows like Laverne & Shirley. That is a fact. Just because you would doesn't change that. There are always some who prove to be the exception, and I'm glad you're one of them, but they're not nearly enough in number to justify Paramount's expense in working out music licenses and royalty contracts along with the costs of touching up the old episodes. Older releases like Laverne & Shirley, Happy Days and the like have to be a bit more strategic in how they go about selling the DVDs. Sometimes that means skimping down on extras (which, let's face it, extras do cost money).

So that was my point. What was yours?

Ed
Old 10-13-2005, 06:26 PM   #37
Moondance
MCR

This makes me wonder, how are sales for the show "Taxi" going? I would think they'd be pretty darn good since Tony Danza promotes it a lot on his show.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:22 PM   #38
robyrob
Forum Legend
certified wackball#3

well, its NOT news from Paramount, but there was a recent story that shed's some light on the situation:

story here: http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6273056.html

corresponding www.TVShowsonDVD.com story here: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=4309

Quote:
Delay for some TV DVD season sets
When season-one discs underperform

By Susanne Ault 10/14/2005

OCT. 14 |
Many TV series are now into their fifth or sixth seasons of DVD release, but several shows seem stuck in first gear.

20th Century Fox Home Entertainment has yet to roll out a second set of Malcolm in the Middle after launching the first-season set in 2002. After much hoopla over the mid-2004 launch of Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley and Mork & Mindy, Paramount Home Entertainment has yet to bow subsequent seasons.

High costs and low sales seem to be the culprit in most such cases, as music clearances on TV titles can get prohibitively pricey with no guarantees of big sales.

One mid-sized chain brought in 900 copies of Happy Days and failed to sell more than 100 in the first week, said a retail source.

“If it doesn’t sell off 30% to 40% in the first week, you know it’s not going to happen,” a chain exec said.

At Amazon.com, the most requested title these days is a second-season set of Twin Peaks, a DVD franchise Lions Gate Home Entertainment launched in 2001.

Lions Gate licensed Twin Peaks from Spelling Entertainment, which has since been purchased by Viacom. That placed the title at Paramount Home Entertainment, which has yet to re-activate the franchise.

To get around high costs, studios commonly have subbed in cheaper TV soundtracks for subsequent-season sets, but that practice has drawn some consumer ire. So retailers suggest studios consider other cost-shaving practices, such as packaging two seasons in one for some of the dormant titles.

“It’s healthy to have a decent lag time between discs, but if there’s too much time in between, there might be a drop off in interest,” Virgin Entertainment Group buyer Chris Anstey said. “What amazes me is that no matter how obscure or generic a TV show might be, there’s always someone who’ll buy it. As long as the studios recognize this, they can manufacture modest quantities and generate respectable sales.”

Gord Lacey, creator of TVShowsOnDVD.com, said some consumers hold off buying first-season TV DVD sets until further sets are announced.

“If season one doesn’t sell, the studio won’t release season two, but the problem with fans is that they’ll say they won’t buy something until a studio seems committed,” Lacey said.

Fred Meyer buyer Randy Schaff would love to see combo packaging of separate but related TV shows, such as Laverne & Shirley and Happy Days, the stars of which each appeared on both shows.

“I think you have to change the concept if the first one doesn’t work,” Schaff said. “Combine Happy Days and Laverne & Shirley at a different price point … [or] take the best episodes of certain seasons and put them into something at a lesser price point.”

Fox had slow sales with its first 2002 release of The Mary Tyler Moore Show. But a second-season set came out this past July and a third-season set is scheduled for January.

“We went out there ahead of everyone else with classic TV,” Fox senior VP marketing communications Steve Feldstein said. “And it took awhile for people in the industry to catch up.”

As for potential future sets of Malcolm in the Middle, he noted, “We’re constantly evaluating everything in our library.”

Tower believes it sold less than 500 copies each of Happy Days and Laverne & Shirley. But the chain would like to see future episodes on disc.

“Why can’t they cram as many [episodes] as possible on as few DVDs as they can?” Tower national advertising manager Terrel Porter-Smith said. “They can release it complete and it’s done for some of these lesser shows. Not only are we running out of room, but consumers are running out of shelf space in their homes.”

Currently, the most popular way to release TV DVD is individual full-season sets.

Paramount did not comment on potential subsequent sets for Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, Mork & Mindy or Twin Peaks.

Newbury Comics suggests iffy TV series be released during Christmas. Even sales of popular series, such as Seinfeld, have stifled when released outside of heavy purchasing periods.

“Season four [of Seinfeld] sold between a third to a half of what the second box set [holding season three] did,” Newbury buyer Ian Leshin said. “Those first two boxes sold at Christmas [2004] and were huge. The fourth was in May. But with season five, I’ve ordered more copies than four, because I’m sure we’ll get extra business.”

Personally, Leshin is crossing his fingers for a second Twin Peaks set.
“It can upset consumers, because they view it as, ‘You release season one, so you owe us to release the rest of it,” TVShowsOnDVD’s Lacey said. “It’s a fact that TV shows bring people all these feelings and emotions. They aren’t thinking of it as a business but just something to enjoy.”
Old 10-16-2005, 02:09 PM   #39
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
So? What's your point? I said that 'Fans of these shows TEND to be much older.' Did I say that ALL fans of these shows are older? No I did not.

There are always exceptions. My point in saying so was to explain why sales for Laverne & Shirley are NOT a sure thing, and I still stand by that. Most people your age would be more inclined to spend $45/$50 on Friends and Seinfeld Season sets than they would on older shows like Laverne & Shirley. That is a fact. Just because you would doesn't change that. There are always some who prove to be the exception, and I'm glad you're one of them, but they're not nearly enough in number to justify Paramount's expense in working out music licenses and royalty contracts along with the costs of touching up the old episodes. Older releases like Laverne & Shirley, Happy Days and the like have to be a bit more strategic in how they go about selling the DVDs. Sometimes that means skimping down on extras (which, let's face it, extras do cost money).

So that was my point. What was yours?

Ed

Ed do u think another reason for low sales can be L&S never being aired locally in some States? Plus combine that with the fact that this show hasn't been on cable in years and that lots of tv fans who are in the 15-25 age bracket never ever seen the show in their life. I think that can be another reason on why not a lot of copies were sold
Old 10-17-2005, 09:32 AM   #40
SoapFan71
Forum Regular
AbFabFan

Send a message via AIM to SoapFan71 Send a message via Yahoo to SoapFan71

L&S needs to be released at a CHEAPER price!
Old 10-17-2005, 01:59 PM   #41
tiff7
wdwdisneylandnut4life

Send a message via AIM to tiff7 Send a message via Yahoo to tiff7
Music

I wish they'd release the dvds already! This is annoying! I have L&S on video from Columbia House but haven't watched the dvd's in ages!

Tiff7
http://www.freewebs.com/tiff_lisatony7/
I updated my site last week, it looks awesome! Please sign the guestbook! Thanks! Luv y'all! Post some pics y'all, this board needs some!

http://www.myspace.com/wdwdancetwirlnut
http://www.twitter.com/wdwdisneyland7
Tiff Prendergast on Facebook
http://www.youtube.com/svhwdwnut
Old 02-03-2006, 04:54 PM   #42
skullboyxxx
Occasional Poster

If everyone will call Paramount @ 323.956.5000 and ask for the Home Entertainment Dept and BOMBARD them with calls, they will make a note of it and if the pressure is there, enough calls come in, the demand is high, I believe we can get them to move on it and release L&S Season 2, 3, etc. The guy I spoke with was very nice but he said to please call in. It does make a difference! They need to know the demand is there!!! Bombard them weekly!!! We can do it!
Old 02-04-2006, 02:08 AM   #43
treky
Forum Veteran
star trek fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by robyrob
well, its NOT news from Paramount, but there was a recent story that shed's some light on the situation:

story here: http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6273056.html

corresponding www.TVShowsonDVD.com story here: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=4309
this also explains why some companys release "BEST OF" sets.

Granny: "How much fer one o' them red diamonds?"
clerk: "Madam, those are rubies."
Granny: "OK ask her kin we buy one offa her."
clerk: " The ruby I am talking about is not a lady."
Granny: "Lissen, how she got them diamonds is her business. I'm just sayin' ask her kin we buy one from her."
Old 02-05-2006, 05:19 AM   #44
shotzette
De Facto Queen of Everything

Isn't there also an issue with Paramount/Viacom/Whoever not having complete rights to the music used in some of the eps ( a reason why many are not shown in syndication or on LRW)? Since the royalties laws changed several years ago, some VHS and DVD versions of older shows (case in point, the beloved WKRP) have been released with re-recorded music in the back grounds since TPTB didn't want to pay any additional royalties.

Has anyone else heard about this?

Shotzette
Old 03-16-2006, 02:18 PM   #45
kooky12

Quoted from above:
"do u think another reason for low sales can be L&S never being aired locally in some States?"
This question was not aimed at me, but I would like to add, what about stations that seem to show the later L&S episodes more ? In Chicago, it seems like they show the eps based in Hollywood more than the Milwuakee ones - is it cheaper for the station to show these ?????? (I usually flip it off when I see all Laverne in the opening credits, and no Shirley.)

Also, I liked the comment from above article:
"Not only are we running out of room, but consumers are running out of shelf space in their homes.”
---Could you imagine the shelf space if these were VHS tapes ?