Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Laverne & Shirley links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Laverne & Shirley Photo Gallery

Laverne & Shirley - The Complete First Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Complete First Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Second Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Second Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Third Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Third Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Fourth Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Fourth Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Fifth Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Fifth Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Sixth Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Sixth Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Seventh Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Seventh Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Eighth and Final Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Eighth and Final Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Complete Series

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Laverne & Shirley
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama
Hallmark's Holly Robinson Peete Series Coming in February; Remembering Sitcom Writer Bob Schiller

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-07-2001, 07:13 PM   #1
James

Question Last Season

During all but the first two episodes of the last season of L&S (1982-83) in the opening sequence the first scene shifted from L&S walking out of their condo to Laverne carrying a bag of groceries amongst a bunch of kids (who counted to eight and said "Schlemeil! Schlemeizel! Hassenpheffer Incorporated" or whatever). This was after Shirley/Cindy Williams left the show.

Who were these kids?
Old 05-19-2001, 08:31 PM   #2
callmetootie

Send a message via AIM to callmetootie
I'm willing to bet that they were iether a bunch of kids that they took off of the streets, or that they were the children of the directors and producers of the show. I thought that the fact that Laverne was singing with a bunch of kids instead of Shirley was really stupid, although the last season was one of the best seasons.

------------------
Andrew Carden
Old 03-04-2007, 02:49 PM   #3
wayman
Frequent Poster

Lifetime Real Women is currently showing 'Laverne and Shirley' 4 times a day. Right now they are showing the final season episodes. I've noticed they have dubbed Penny Marshall and Cindy Williams doing the "Schlemeil! Schlemeizel!" over the kids' voices in the opening credits. I thought that was strange they would do that.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:09 PM   #4
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayman
Lifetime Real Women is currently showing 'Laverne and Shirley' 4 times a day. Right now they are showing the final season episodes. I've noticed they have dubbed Penny Marshall and Cindy Williams doing the "Schlemeil! Schlemeizel!" over the kids' voices in the opening credits. I thought that was strange they would do that.

But if Cindy Williams left the show while would that still be in the opening credits? She was no longer apart of the show so it makes since that she was removed from the opening credits
Old 03-04-2007, 10:19 PM   #5
wayman
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVResearcher
But if Cindy Williams left the show while would that still be in the opening credits? She was no longer apart of the show so it makes since that she was removed from the opening credits

Cindy Williams is removed from the opening credits, but when these episodes originally aired, it was the kids' voices doing the "Schlemeil! Schlemeizel!" Now you can tell it is Penny Marshall's and Cindy Williams's voices dubbed over the kids' voices.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:07 AM   #6
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayman
Cindy Williams is removed from the opening credits, but when these episodes originally aired, it was the kids' voices doing the "Schlemeil! Schlemeizel!" Now you can tell it is Penny Marshall's and Cindy Williams's voices dubbed over the kids' voices.

What Kids?
Old 03-05-2007, 02:52 PM   #7
wayman
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVResearcher
What Kids?

After Cindy Williams left the show and she was removed from the opening credits, they showed kids marching past Laverne doing the "Schlemeil! Schlemeizel!" at the beginning of the theme song. Laverne is carrying a grocery bag.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:32 PM   #8
tiff7
wdwdisneylandnut4life

Send a message via AIM to tiff7 Send a message via Yahoo to tiff7

When is it on?

http://www.myspace.com/wdwdancetwirlnut
http://www.twitter.com/wdwdisneyland7
Tiff Prendergast on Facebook
http://www.youtube.com/svhwdwnut
Old 03-05-2007, 10:18 PM   #9
wayman
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiff7
When is it on?

It airs every afternoon on Lifetime Real Women at 2:00, 2:30, 3:00, and 3:30 Central Time. That would be 3:00, 3:30, 4:00, and 4:30 Eastern. Airing 4 times a day, they get through each season in about a week.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:17 PM   #10
tiff7
wdwdisneylandnut4life

Send a message via AIM to tiff7 Send a message via Yahoo to tiff7

Thanks! 4 times a day, wow! Too bad I'm online then! I need 2 watch L&S again!
Old 03-07-2007, 02:17 AM   #11
treky
Forum Veteran
star trek fan

so THAT'S what they did with the opening in that HORRIBLE last season. I've always wondered what they did, since Cindy Williams had left the show then; and they unfortunately tried to keep it going with just Penny Marrshal.

Granny: "How much fer one o' them red diamonds?"
clerk: "Madam, those are rubies."
Granny: "OK ask her kin we buy one offa her."
clerk: " The ruby I am talking about is not a lady."
Granny: "Lissen, how she got them diamonds is her business. I'm just sayin' ask her kin we buy one from her."
Old 04-21-2007, 01:11 PM   #12
Edster2973
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by treky
so THAT'S what they did with the opening in that HORRIBLE last season. I've always wondered what they did, since Cindy Williams had left the show then; and they unfortunately tried to keep it going with just Penny Marrshal.

In all fairness, the last season wasn't terrible. It wasn't as good as with Cindy Williams of course, and I'm not about to claim that it was, but I don't dismiss the last season as garbage either. Penny Marshall held her own and some of the episodes were actually quite funny.

The show's ratings were already in decline (as were the ratings for other ABC hits, such as Happy Days and Three's Company). The audiences were getting into cartoon violent shows at the time (like The A Team, Simon & Simon, and Magnum P.I.) and comedies were just being fazed out. It had nothing to do with the quality of the shows.

Granted, me personally, I prefer Laverne & Shirley with both actresses, but there were other contributing factors besides Cindy's departure that caused the show to sink. Betty Garrett, who had assumed that the previous season would be the last, had committed herself to appear in a play and had to leave the show as well. Her absence didn't help matters. The same with Michael McKeon's Lenny, who also left. The reasons for their absences were weak and definitely not satisfying. Edna's leaving Frank tainted my image of her, for one (Michael Stivick anyone?).

But when viewing the last season episodes by themselves, Penny Marshall, and Laverne as a character, were strong enough to carry most of it. The last season deserves a lot more credit than it has been given.

Ed

Last edited by Edster2973 : 04-21-2007 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:46 PM   #13
AB
Forum Celebrity
The Orville

Did they ever say what happened to Lenny that last season? I did hear Frank say that Edna had left him but I can't remember if anything was ever said about Lenny. Just wondering!
Old 04-23-2007, 09:27 AM   #14
Edster2973
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by annball1957
Did they ever say what happened to Lenny that last season? I did hear Frank say that Edna had left him but I can't remember if anything was ever said about Lenny. Just wondering!

Not to my knowledge. I think they didn't bother explaining his absence because he wasn't really off the show. He did make several guest appearances during the last season (if I recall correctly); he just wasn't a regular anymore. So there was no reason to come up with a way to explain his leaving.

Ed