Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Laverne & Shirley links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Laverne & Shirley Photo Gallery

Laverne & Shirley - The Complete First Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Complete First Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Second Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Second Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Third Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Third Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Fourth Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Fourth Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Fifth Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Fifth Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Sixth Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Sixth Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Seventh Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Seventh Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Eighth and Final Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Eighth and Final Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Complete Series

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Laverne & Shirley
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 23, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-23-2000, 06:41 PM   #1
ProffesorFan
Frequent Poster

Unhappy I just don't like it.

THERE IS NO MESSAGE HERE, I repeat there is no message here. And the title, well it doesn't really matter. All just one big huge mistake. I never meant to insult the show. Sorry!
------------------
Thurston: Now the first thing you use, darling, is your driver.
Lovey: My driver? Don't be silly, darling, you know our chauffeur is back home. I believe his name was Charles, wasn't it?
Thurston: No, darling, I'm talking about clubs.
Lovey: Of course, he drove us to all the very best clubs.

[This message has been edited by ProffesorFan (edited 08-23-2000).]
Old 08-23-2000, 09:56 PM   #2
The T

Smile

Just forget I said this! I didn't mean it rudely at all!

OKAY ! HERE IT COMES! YOU REALLY DID IT GOOD THIS TIME!!!! YOU JUST wait until Laverne&Shirley reads this! Holy cow are you gonna have a prob on your hands!!!!! Woah! I admit some of the shows (like 10) were so boring I turned it off but everyone (Except you) loves L&S cause it is so different and things happen that you know would never happen in real life and thats what makes it so funny! Dig? good. Just wait for L&S she will give you a good explain.

------------------
See ya~The T
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Butler-Your Coat?

Fonz-Yeah it's my coat, are those your pants?

[This message has been edited by The T (edited 08-24-2000).]
Old 08-23-2000, 11:16 PM   #3
ProffesorFan
Frequent Poster

Talking

All i tried to do was bring this board back from the dead. But I guess I went a bit too far. And now I'm to chicken to keep the message there, so I'm gonna delete it. And T, er... could you please not tell LS what I wrote.
Old 08-23-2000, 11:18 PM   #4
LaverneShirley
Mission Doll

Smile

T, I hope you're not implying that I get mad if people don't like the show. I don't get MAD, I just wonder why it's not a good show. My reasons for liking it? It's funny, it has a great cast, original characters (some people say L&S are just like Lucy and Ethel and I'll admit there are similarities, but they aren't rip-offs of them!). It broke the mold for shows with blue-collar workers. L&S were the first blue-collar women portrayed in television (I think. There may have been others that I just don't know about.). Laverne & Shirley holds sentimental and emotional issues with me as well. It's helped me deal with some problems. L&S may not have that with you, and that's fine with me. Even if someday it's all of a sudden not my favorite anymore (which I seriously, seriously doubt), it'll forever be special to me and I'll always have the upmost respect for it. I know someone who I used to be good friends with who all of a sudden stopped liking the show, and now doesn't watch it and only speaks to a select few of the L&S people from the AOL L&S message boards. Hopefully, she still respects the show, it's characters, and the actors (She even has a fictional journal on her site that has characters named Len, Penny, Garry, and Ron). A lot of the other L&S people I've known have started to like other shows like the Honeymooners and DALLAS, and Gilligan's Island, but they still love L&S as much, maybe just a teensy bit less. It all depends on the respect you have for it, and how attached to are to it. I feel like I know the characters and actors personally, I know so much about them. I understand completely why you don't like the show, quite a few people don't. Sometimes (especially at friends' houses) I act shocked when I say something about Michael McKean or Garry Marshall and they have no idea who I'm talking about, but I'm really not. I hope maybe someday you'll learn to like it, and if not, that's your loss (in my opinion). I really hope that you still respect the show whether you like it or not, like how I respect I Love Lucy even though I don't like it anymore.

------------------
"Well, Laverne is sort of childish"

"Childish? Childish? COming from a grown woman who throws tea parties for her stuffed cat!"

"Well at least I don't sew L's on everything I wear!"

"Well that would be pretty stupid considering your name's Shirley!"
Old 08-23-2000, 11:21 PM   #5
LaverneShirley
Mission Doll

Smile

Well that was weird... I saw the message PrffesorFan origanally posted, wrote a reply, and when it came back up she had changed it! Oh well. ProffesorFan, you were the teensiest bit late...

------------------

"Childish? Childish? COming from a grown woman who throws tea parties for her stuffed cat!"

Old 08-23-2000, 11:34 PM   #6
ProffesorFan
Frequent Poster

Thumbs up

That's really cool how you respect other people's opinions and shows. I never said I didn't respect Laverene and Shirley. It's just been done so many times... roommates, living together. I didn't think it's original. Like Friends or Three's Company. But... was this the first show of that kind? I don't know that. I totally respect the show. My main intentions were to bring this board back from the dead, and I hope I didn't hurt anyone. Perhaps I shouldn't have changed my original post, but I don't even remember what I wrote there now. Still... there are two main reason that this show isn't appealing to me:
1. Beer factory. Alchahol. Not a good thing for kids to watch. And there were "Drunk" jokes, i think. Not that Lucy didn't have them... in one episode. But L&S worked at the factory for quite a few episodes, I'm pretty sure.
2. Their accents. Yes, it's kinda stupid, but I think it's REALLY important to hear the way a person speaks. I almost cry(from happiness) when I hear someone speak with a british accent. It's so beautiful! So... you can see how all of their accents (except Shirley's) annoy me. I'm just that kind of person.
Oh, and by the way... I think I led you to believe that "I Love Lucy" is my favorite show, but really "Gilligan's Island" is.

------------------
Thurston: Now the first thing you use, darling, is your driver.
Lovey: My driver? Don't be silly, darling, you know our chauffeur is back home. I believe his name was Charles, wasn't it?
Thurston: No, darling, I'm talking about clubs.
Lovey: Of course, he drove us to all the very best clubs.

[This message has been edited by ProffesorFan (edited 08-24-2000).]
Old 08-24-2000, 10:19 AM   #7
LaverneShirley
Mission Doll

Smile

No, I figured Gilligan's Island is, I said I Love Lucy as an example because I love Gilligan's Island. Anyway, I love Laverne's accent. I don't know why... As for the beer thing, maybe that isn't a great thing to put in a family show, but I think it showed how real they were. A lot of real people drink alcohol, there's nothing wrong with it if you're old enough. I personally wouldn't want to, but if other people want to, I can't tell them they can't. And there was an episode where Laverne got so drunk she passed out and couldn't remember what happened, and ended up thinking she was pregnant. If you ask me, that would make it look like drinking is a BAD thing. And that episode how much you can rely on your friends in your time of need (Lenny proposed to her, it was so sweet...). Anyway, what it all comes down to is this :You don't really like the show, and it's my favorite show in the whole world. (And we DID need brought back from the dead over here...)

------------------

Old 08-24-2000, 09:46 PM   #8
The T

Smile

Oh no I wasn't implying anything at all! I just knew that you would have a really good explanation and stuff. Don't worry profan I didn't mean to make you afraid I just meant that she was going to give a great explanation...one alot better than I could give, so sorry if it came off that way! Just forget everything I said!

------------------
See ya~The T
Butler-Your Coat?

Fonz-Yeah it's my coat, are those your pants?
Old 08-24-2000, 11:28 PM   #9
ProffesorFan
Frequent Poster

Wink

Of course I wasn't afraid, I just thought LS might be mad at me and I didn't want that to happen because I think she's a great person and I love talking to her. Anyways, this whole topic is a big, FAT, headache. Skipper would say: Well, thanks a lot, Gilligan!

------------------
^*!!^*!!^*!!^*!!^*!!^*!!^
Gilligan: One Skipper, two Skipper, three Professor, four.

Professor: Five Professor, six Professor, seven Professor more.

Professor: I hope that medicine works.

Gilligan: What if it doesn't?

Professor: Well, we'll just have to find another cure. You can't go through life like that.

Gilligan: Yeah. Imagine going through life without knowing which end is up!

Professor: Gilligan, I shall refrain from comment.

[This message has been edited by ProffesorFan (edited 08-24-2000).]
Old 09-04-2000, 08:18 PM   #10
Titania
a part of that

Send a message via AIM to Titania
Smile

Going along with what has been said about the alchohol issue, we must remeber that L&S originally ran in the 1970s and that people today are a lot more aware of health issues due to it. And also, remembering back to their debut on Happy Days, no one knew the show would become a spin off and Shirley's line to Richie about working in a brewery was simply for laughs not because they wanted to make the show about alchohol.