Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Laverne & Shirley links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Laverne & Shirley Photo Gallery

Laverne & Shirley - The Complete First Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Complete First Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Second Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Second Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Third Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Third Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Fourth Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Fourth Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Fifth Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Fifth Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Sixth Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Sixth Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Seventh Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Seventh Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Eighth and Final Season

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Eighth and Final Season on DVD
Laverne & Shirley - The Complete Series

Buy Laverne & Shirley - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Laverne & Shirley
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-22-2000, 02:32 PM   #1
silentbri
Forum Regular

Send a message via ICQ to silentbri
Smile Segregation of the episodes of Laverne & Shirley

My room mates and I have begun seperating the episodes of Laverne & Shirley into 3 distinct categories, all based on Shirley; Sexy Shirley, Sucky Shirley, and Non Shirley.

Sexy Shirley episodes are the earliest ones, where she has the cute pixie-ish haircut that is such a dark brown that it's almost black. I would give *anything* to date a woman who looked like Sexy Shirley!

Sucky Shirley episodes are the ones where for some weird reason Shirley decided to grow her hair longer and start dying it a lighter color. In some Sucky Shirley episodes, her hair is nearly the same color as Laverne's!

And then we come to the Non Shirley Episodes, which have more testicular fortitude than any show in the history of television. How can you kep the title "Laverne & Shirley" without Shirley present? It's like Sanford without Son... Chico without The Man... Rocky without Bullwinkle!

My room mates refuse to watch the Non-Shirley episodes, but I will occasionally force myself to watch them. I think it is important to watch these episodes, just to remind ourselves that no matter how good a concept is, sometimes you should just let it go...
Old 06-23-2000, 09:19 PM   #2
The T

Thumbs down

I totally agree withy your "Sexy Shirley" "Sucky Shirley" and "No Shirley". I hate it when she dies her hair! She looks like such a geek! Did you notice that they didn't have lenny when shirley left too? I like Squigy better anyway but that's just weird. They should have just quit the show once shirl left.

Later~The T.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``

wa wa wa-chachi

I know you know but he dont haveta know-fonz

live fast love hard and don't let anybody use your comb.-fonz

I'm a ten year man!-sargeany belcher

I've been a man all my life-fonz

What does that mean?-marion

Sit on it!-howard cunningham

Hello-Squigy
Old 06-23-2000, 09:19 PM   #3
The T

Thumbs down

I totally agree withy your "Sexy Shirley" "Sucky Shirley" and "No Shirley". I hate it when she dies her hair! She looks like such a geek! Did you notice that they didn't have lenny when shirley left too? I like Squigy better anyway but that's just weird. They should have just quit the show once shirl left.

Later~The T.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``

wa wa wa-chachi

I know you know but he dont haveta know-fonz

live fast love hard and don't let anybody use your comb.-fonz

I'm a ten year man!-sargeany belcher

I've been a man all my life-fonz

What does that mean?-marion

Sit on it!-howard cunningham

Hello-Squigy

------------------
Old 06-24-2000, 12:22 PM   #4
silentbri
Forum Regular

Smile

I think that all sitcom writers should be required to watch the entire run of the last season of L&S to see how NOT to end a series. Did they even have a series finale, or did the show just kind of slip into non-existence?

------------------
Be sure to click here and check out my web page! What else are you gonna do?
Old 06-28-2000, 04:45 PM   #5
Freakzilla
Forum Regular

Smile

[This message has been edited by Freakzilla (edited 06-29-2000).]
Old 06-28-2000, 04:49 PM   #6
Freakzilla
Forum Regular

Smile

I think the last episode of Laverne and Shirley, oddly enough, was an episode about Carmine making his way on Broadway. Weird that they would end a show named Laverne and Shirley with an episode with no Shirley and very little Laverne.

I think the reason why they kept the name Laverne and Shirley was so they could sell the Laverne episodes into syndication. Business-wise, it makes sense. The more episodes they could offer, the more stations would pay for the show.
Old 07-02-2000, 04:33 PM   #7
Boo Boo Kitty

Smile

Yes, Freakzilla is correct that the last episode was when Carmine went to Brodway to try to make it big ("Here Today, Hair Tomorrow" is the official episode name). As far as series finales go, I think they could have done so much better - maybe bringing Shirley back or something. It is definatly true that the show died a slow and painful death - at first it was great, and then starting with around when they moved to California, it became not-so-good. As for Lenny leaving, yes Michael McKean (who plays Lenny) did leave the show around the same time as Cindy Williams (Shirley) to go work on a movie. I sometimes watch the ones with just Laverne, but for the most part, they're all about Squiggy, Mr. DeFazio, or Carmine - who were okay supporting characters, but the show wasn't named "Carmine and Frank" for a reason. It was like "Laverne and Shirley" starring all of their friends. It was Penny and Cindy's great chemistry that made them such a great duo - and that made L&S such a good show.
Old 07-02-2000, 06:12 PM   #8
Freakzilla
Forum Regular

Smile

What they should have done in the 8th season was have a story at the beginning where Shirley meets the man of her dreams and have them get married. It could have been a 4 part episode. In the first part, Laverne and Shirley are on a cruise, Shirley meets a guy she really likes. In second part, the cruise is about end, neither Shirley or the guy can imagine being apart, so the guy proposes to Shirley or vice versa. In the 3rd part, Shirley and the guy get married. And in the 4th part, after they've moved into an apartment near Laverne's, Shirley finds out she's pregnant. That would have provided a plot for the entire season and kept Cindy Williams on the show. Plus, I think that Shirley's labor scene would probably have been funny. Just imagine, Shirley's in labor, and Lenny and Squiggy come running into the room wearing hospital scrubs.

[This message has been edited by Freakzilla (edited 07-02-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Freakzilla (edited 07-02-2000).]
Old 07-02-2000, 07:11 PM   #9
silentbri
Forum Regular

Smile

It's been a long time, and I try to avoid the California episodes... why did Shirley leave, and why did Lenny leave? Did they do special episodes around the characters leaving, or was it just "Oh, Lenny and Shirley are gone"? Can someone *please* post a synopsis of these episodes to refresh my memory? Thank you!

------------------
Old 07-02-2000, 10:38 PM   #10
The T

Thumbs up

I thought that Carmine episode was the last one. And Shirley left becuase she got pregnant and Lenny left to do a movie. I didn't see the exact episode where Shirl left but I do remember the one where Laverne finds the one page note from shirl and thinks that she was really rood. Gimme your e-mail and I'll give ya some more info on the ep.

See ya~The T.

------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wa Wa Wa - Chachi

Hey Blue eyes - Chachi
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 07-05-2000, 01:54 PM   #11
silentbri
Forum Regular

Smile

My e-mail address is all over the place! You can click on the link to my web page to contact me through that, if you like. I would definately like some more information! When did Shirley get Knocked-up? Was it a doctor? Man, this sucks!

------------------
Old 07-26-2000, 10:39 PM   #12
LaverneShirley
Mission Doll

Smile

Michael McKean left to work on the movie "This is Spinal Tap" Cindy WIlliams left because she felt they were trying to force her off the show. She was going to take off for 10 episodes while they were going to pay her in full for those 10 episodes, then she was going to come back. Since she felt she was being forced off the show, she sued Paramount for $20 million. She eventually dropped the lawsuit, but she quit the show to raise her baby. They wrote her off by having her marry some army medic wrapped up like a mummy, getting pregnant, and moving overseas with her new family. They kept the name Laverne & Shirley because Penny Marshall didn't want people to think she forced Cindy Williams off the show.

------------------
"Well, Laverne is sort of childish"

"Childish? Childish? COming from a grown woman who throws tea parties for her stuffed cat!"

"Well at least I don't sew L's on everything I wear!"

"Well that would be pretty stupid considering your name's Shirley!"
Old 07-27-2000, 01:31 PM   #13
silentbri
Forum Regular

Smile

WOw... thank you L&S! That's *exactly* the information I was looking for! I never knew that tthere was such bad blood between Shirley and the studio... I wonder why they decided to write her out of those 10 episodes? Perhaps we will never know...

So how did they write off the character of Lenny?
Old 07-27-2000, 05:28 PM   #14
LaverneShirley
Mission Doll

Smile

Cindy Williams was supposed to be out of those 10 episodes because in real life she actually was pregnant, and she needed to be with her baby (obviouslly). hey didn't really write Lenny out of the series. He just never showed up, but they did mention him all the time (Such as, in "The Ghost Story", Squiggy says "I'm gonna hide where no ghost will ever look. Underneath Lenny's bed!")

------------------
"Well, Laverne is sort of childish"

"Childish? Childish? COming from a grown woman who throws tea parties for her stuffed cat!"

"Well at least I don't sew L's on everything I wear!"

"Well that would be pretty stupid considering your name's Shirley!"
Old 07-28-2000, 03:04 PM   #15
silentbri
Forum Regular

Smile

Laverneshirley, you ROCK! May I ask how old you are?

------------------