Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

My Favorite Martian (Sitcoms Online) / My Favorite Martian links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / My Favorite Martian Photo Gallery

My Favorite Martian - The Complete First Season

Buy My Favorite Martian - The Complete First Season on DVD
My Favorite Martian - Season One - Collector's Edition

Buy My Favorite Martian - Season One - Collector's Edition on DVD
My Favorite Martian - The Complete Second Season

Buy My Favorite Martian - The Complete Second Season on DVD
My Favorite Martian - Season Two - Collector's Edition

Buy My Favorite Martian - Season Two - Collector's Edition on DVD
My Favorite Martian - Season Three - Collector's Edition (US Release)

Buy My Favorite Martian - Season Three - Collector's Edition (US Release) on DVD
My Favorite Martian - The Complete Series

Buy My Favorite Martian - The Complete Series on DVD
My Favorite Martian - The Complete Third Season (Australian Release)

Buy My Favorite Martian - The Complete Third Season (Australian Release) on DVD
My Favorite Martian - Time Travelers

Buy My Favorite Martian - Time Travelers (4 Episodes) on DVD
My Favorite Martian - Best of Collection

Buy My Favorite Martian - Best of Collection (7 Episodes) on DVD
My Favorite Martian Soundtrack CD

Buy My Favorite Martian Soundtrack CD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > My Favorite Martian
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama
Hallmark's Holly Robinson Peete Series Coming in February; Remembering Sitcom Writer Bob Schiller
Disney Picks Up 2nd Season of Raven Sitcom; Family Matters Cast Reunites
ION Television Gets Festive for Holidays; USA Schedules Psych: The Movie

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-14-2005, 06:47 PM   #1
jharison
Frequent Poster

Default Good news. Season 2 dvd IS complete and uncut

There are no cut episodes on the MFM season 2 dvd.

As posted earlier on another thread, I have viewed the 4 episodes which RHINO stated to be "..shorter syndicated" versions.. because "the original masters could not be located".

Happily,upon viewing, no footage is missing.

RHINO must have used the time-compressed prints from the 1984-94 syndication run. These prints have been time-compressed to allow stations to run more commercials, but no scenes have been cut.

I am speculating that when RHINO timed these episodes and found that they ran shorter than the others, they assumed that it was because they had missing scenes,not that they had been time compressed.

This is why they printed the disclaimer.

It is unfortunate that their statements resulted in confusion about the content of the shows.

Hopefully, this will serve to set the record straight.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:24 PM   #2
Munsters#1
Banned!!
Happy Holidays!

What the hell's time compressed?
Old 05-14-2005, 07:36 PM   #3
jharison
Frequent Poster

Basically it involves using a computer to very subtly speed up the film. It is most noticable during the opening and closing credits when the music runs slightly faster than normal.

I am by no means an expert at explaining how it works. I might have read somewhere that the film may be speeded up more during certain transitional scenes,like a establishing shot or landscape. Every little bit helps,apparently, and close to 2 minutes can be compressed off a tv show by using this method.

This is as much as I know about the subject.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:59 PM   #4
Munsters#1
Banned!!
Happy Holidays!

You know, you're right! The Munsters Season 2 opening credits on TV Land are subtly sped-up. I guess it does save time!
Old 05-15-2005, 09:50 AM   #5
jharison
Frequent Poster

Having said how good it is to have all the footage intact, it should be noted that there are technical glitches in some episodes.

I have not watched all 38 shows,but so far, I can report that there is triangular distortion in the tag scene of Martin's Favorite Martian and the picture has vertical shaking in several spots in the Miss Pringle episode.
Old 05-15-2005, 04:04 PM   #6
Munsters#1
Banned!!
Happy Holidays!

The Munsters Season 1 DVD doesn't have any of that. But there are a lot of minor white and black "snowflakes", 1 film crack, and a slight sound glitch. But the overall quality of a 40 year show is superb!

-----

But back to MFM, is the Season 2 DVD in color or B&W?
Old 05-15-2005, 10:37 PM   #7
jharison
Frequent Poster

MFM season 2 is in Black and White.

I think, for some strange reason, Amazon.com advertised it as being in color.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:49 PM   #8
TV Knowledge Fan

Default One of the devices that...

...can compress any TV show or movie is called a 'Lexicon'. It can electronically compress a 26 minute TV episode into 22 minutes by "speeding" up the picture without audio distortion (and that's why everything sounds "a bit faster"). At the same time, the device can also "expand" any movie by slowing the picture down (again, without any noticeable distortion- but it looks AND sounds "a bit slower")...so if a movie runs, say, 90 minutes, it can be "expanded" to 100 minutes to fit a two-hour time period (with commercials, of course!).

As for "MY FAVORITE MARTIAN" being in black & white during its first two seaons (1963-'65), keep in mind that CBS did NOT telecast any shows in color during that period. When the network began a partial schedule of color telecasts in September 1965, "MY FAVORITE MARTIAN" was one of the network's few filmed series to "convert" to color for its third (and final) season. Even "GUNSMOKE" didn't start filming their color episodes until a year later (in 1966)!
Old 11-04-2010, 11:48 AM   #9
retroTVfan4ever

There is an error on back of the season 2 DVD case. "Never Trust A Naked Martian" is NOT one of the time compressed episodes. "The Great Brain Robbery", not mentioned on the case as one of the time compressed episodes, IS in fact time compressed. At least the four time compressed shows are all together on the same side of a disc. Episodes 1, 4, 6, and 8 on disc 1 side A are the four time compressed shows in this DVD set.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:58 PM   #10
jharison
Frequent Poster

Thank you for noting the error that RHINO made.

Then those 4 episodes (1,4,6 and 8) on disc 1 side A are the ones that were time compressed for syndication. However, they do not appear to be missing any footage, correct? It is just that the rate of the film had been speeded up to allow time for an extra commericial when shown in syndication.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:48 PM   #11
retroTVfan4ever

I watched those four episodes and I didn't notice anything irregular where something might be cut. So yes I think it's safe to say that these are complete shows time compressed down to 22 1/2 minutes. It's slightly noticeable, the dialog and music goes a little faster than normal. I have seen other shows where syndicated versions were time compressed down to 24 minutes, and 1 1/2 minutes of the episode is cut. But that doesn't appear to be the case here.

I read early this year that MPI was going to release the 3rd season DVD. Haven't heard a thing about it since then. I wonder what the reason is for the delay?

Last edited by retroTVfan4ever : 11-07-2010 at 10:55 AM.