Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Welcome Back, Kotter links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Welcome Back, Kotter Photo Gallery

Welcome Back, Kotter - The Complete First Season

Buy Welcome Back, Kotter - The Complete First Season on DVD
Welcome Back, Kotter - Television Favorites

Buy Welcome Back, Kotter - Television Favorites on DVD
Welcome Back, Kotter - The Complete Series

Buy Welcome Back, Kotter - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Welcome Back, Kotter
User Name
Password

Headlines / New on DVD/Blu-ray
SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines:

TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: FX, Includes 12-Day Simpsons Marathon on FXX; TCM Remembers James Garner
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: Fox, The CW; Remembering TV Legend James Garner
Summer 2014 Week 8 Sitcom Ratings
SitcomsOnline Digest: Enlisted to Return as Online Series?; Batman and Wonder Years DVD Updates
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: CBS; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of July 21, 2014)
TV Land's Candid Camera Premieres Aug. 11; NBC Gives Debra Messing Series a Preview Airing
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: ABC, Includes Fall 2014 Premiere Dates; Hot in Cleveland Animated Episode to Air July 30 on TV Land
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: NBC Networks; More Info on Apt. 23 on Logo, With 8 Unaired Episodes
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: NBC; Entourage Coming to VH1 Classic
Summer 2014 Week 7 Sitcom Ratings
SitcomsOnline Digest: HBO Continues to Lead in Emmy Nominations; WKRP and Wonder Years DVD Updates
Blog Book Review - George Burns Television Productions: The Series and Pilots, 1950-1981; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of July 14, 2014)
The 66th Primetime Emmy Awards Nominations; Hallmark Channel at 2014 TCA Summer Press Tour
Sean Hayes Joining The Millers; Remembering Bob Hastings of McHale's Navy
Hallmark Movie Channel Rebranding to Hallmark Movies & Mysteries; Disney Orders Second Season of Sitcom I Didn't Do It
'60s Batman Now on IFC; Wayans Brothers to Reunite in NJ

New on DVD/Blu-ray (July)

07/01 - American Dad! - Volume 9
07/08 - The Soul Man - The Complete First Season
07/15 - Diff'rent Strokes - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 and 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-04-2005, 07:03 PM   #1
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Thumbs up SNL sketch: "Quentin Tarantino's 'Welcome Back Kotter'"

Anybody remember the 1994 Saturday Night Live show hosted by John Travolta, where they did a sketch titled "Quentin Tarantino's 'Welcome Back, Kotter'"??

The "opening credits" were done in Reservoir Dogs style, which each character's name imposed over a close-up shot as they walked tough through the streets of Brooklyn.

In the sketch Kotter tries to talk the Sweathogs out of setting a tied-up Mr. Woodman on fire. Our tried-and-true Sweathogs got a Tarantinoesque makeover and it was a very funny sketch.

It also featured a cameo by David Lander and Michael McKean (then an SNL cast member) as Lenny & Squiggy. Pure old-timers TV heaven!!

I found a transcript of the sketch at snltranscripts.jt.org:

Mr. Kotter.....Mike Myers
Julie Kotter.....Janene Garofalo
Hit Man #1.....Chris Farley
Hit Man #2.....Chris Elliot
Barbarino.....John Travolta
Epstein.....Adam Sandler
Horshak.....David Spade
Washington.....Tim Meadows
Mr. Woodman.....Jay Mohr
Lenny.....Michael McKean
Squiggy.....David L. Lander
Mr. Pink.....Steve Buscemi

[ open on interior, Mr. Kotter's apartment, breakfast nook ]

Mr. Kotter: Hey, Julie, did I ever tell you about my Uncle Herbie Kotter from Poughkeepsie?

Julie Kotter: [ unenthused ] Why, no, Gabe. Tell me about your Uncle Herbie from Poughkeepsie.

Mr. Kotter: Well, Uncle Herbie was sort of a hippie. He decided to go hitchhiking across the country. But no one would ever pick him up, so he decided to walk! He walked across New York.. he walked across Pennsylvania.. halfway across Ohio..

Julie Kotter: Why only halfway?

Mr. Kotter: Well.. one day this van pulls up with these two guys. They throw him into the van, and they give Herbie the most savage beating I ever heard. They.. they go medieval on his ass, with a pair of pliers! And the whole time, they're singing that song by The Archies..

Julie Kotter: "Sugar, Sugar"?

Mr. Kotter: Yeah, yeah. So, the whole time Herbie's laying there, it's like: "Sugar.." [ mimicks punching ] "Sugar, Sugar.." [ mimicks more punching ]

[ suddenly, a pair of Hit Men rush into the apartment and point their guns at Mr. Kotter's face ]

Hit Man #1: Funny story, Kotter!

Hit Man #2: Yeah! Hilarious!

Julie Kotter: [ panicking ] Gabe! What's happening?!

Hit Man #2: Cool it, bitch! [ holds out his gun, but him and his buddy are suddenly gunned down from the window ]

[ the Sweathogs appear at the window, guns smoking fresh from the attack ]

Barbarino: [ near-hyperventilating ] Oh, my God, Mr. Kotter, I thought you was gonna die, I swear!

[ cut to standard "Welcome Back Kotter" opening sequence, John Sebastian singing "Welcome Back" ]

[ INTERTITLE: Quentin Tarantino's Welcome Back Kotter ]

[ "Welcome Back" scratches off, replaced by George Baker Selection's "Little Green Bag" from the movie "Reservoir Dogs" ]

[ cut to the Sweathogs and Mr. Kotter walking through their Brooklyn neighborhood like street punks, introduced one by one: Barbarino, Horshack, Washington, Epstein, and Mr. Kotter ]

[ music fades, cut to exterior, Brooklyn High School ]

[ fade to interior, Mr. Kotter's classroom ]

Mr. Kotter: [ entering ] Good morning! Good morning! I want to thank you Sweathogs for saving my life this morning..

Epstein: Hey there! It's the least we could do, there, Mr. Kotter!

Horshak: [ raises his hand, gun packed tight ] Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! Ooh!

Mr. Kotter: Yes, Horshak.

Horshak: Mr. Kot-tare. We've got a sur-prise for you. Look! [ the Sweathogs move towards a cloth-covered lump in the middle of the classroom ] Frederick?

Washington: [ peels off the cloth to reveal Mr. Woodman underneath ] Hi, there!

Horshak: It's Mr. Wood-man! [ smacks the struggling Mr. Woodman across the face ]

Mr. Kotter: Listen.. you can't tie up your principal!

Epstein: It's okay, there, Mr. Kotter! [ dances to the front of the classroom ] I got a note!

Mr. Kotter: [ takes the note and reads ] "Dear, Mr. Kot-tare. Please allow Juan and his friends to tie up Mr. Woodman, and go medieval on his ass. Signed, Epstein's Mother." [ to Woodman ] He's got a note. Barbarino, take off his gag.

Barbarino: What?

Mr. Kotter: His gag.

Barbarino: Where?

Mr. Kotter: His mouth!! Take off the gag.

Barbarino: Who?

Mr. Kotter: Mr. Woodman!

Barbarino: Alright! You don't hafta shout. [ removes Woodman's gag ]

Mr. Woodman: You'll pay for this, Kotter! You and your Sweathogs! You better let me go, or I'll kill you, Kotter!

Barbarino: Are you finished? [ puts gag back over Woodman's mouth, ignoring his muffled screams ] Washington.

Washington: [ reaches down, picks up a container of gasoline, and pours it over the screaming Woodman ] Hi, there!

Mr. Kotter: You can't light Mr. Woodman on fire! You'll burn down the whole school!

Epstein: It's okay, Mr. Kotter, I got another note!

Mr. Kotter: Would you get out of here with your notes!

[ Barbarino starts dancing to Stealer's Wheel's "Stuck in the Middle With You" ]

Barbarino: You can scream all you want, Mr. Woodman.. but you're gonna die! I swear! [ singing ] I said, "Bar-bar-bar, bar-barbarino.." Hit it, Horshak.

Horshak: Mr. Wood-man. You don't look so good! [ does his laugh ]

Mr. Kotter: [ lights match ] Sorry, Woodman. School's out.

Epstein: Goodbye, there, Mr. Woodman. If there's a bigger, more disgusting person on this planet, I'd like to see it.

[ suddenly, Lenny and Squiggy from "Laverne & Shirley" enter the classroom, brandishing weapons of their own ]

Squiggy: Hello!

Lenny: Alright, nobody move! If one of you walks to me, everybody dies!

Barbarino: Hey! Up your nose with a rubber hoses!

Squiggy: Yeah? Well, up your gizzard with a rubber lizard!

Lenny: That's good. Did you just make that up?

Squiggy: I made it up in the car..

[ Mr. Pink from "Reservoir Dogs" suddenly makes his entrance into the classroom, pointing his gun at all of them ]

Mr. Pink: Okay! Up your hole with a mellow roll!

[ gunfire breaks loose everywhere, sending everyone to the floor, as the title superimposes onto the screen, and the show fades to black ]