Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Andy Griffith Show (Sitcoms Online) / The Andy Griffith Show links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Andy Griffith Show Photo Gallery

The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete First Season

Buy The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete First Season DVD
The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Second Season

Buy The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Second Season DVD
The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Third Season

Buy The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Third Season DVD
The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Fourth Season DVD
The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Fifth Season DVD
The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Sixth Season DVD
The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Seventh Season

Buy The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Seventh Season DVD
The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Eighth Season

Buy The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Eighth Season DVD
The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Series

Buy The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Series on DVD
The Andy Griffith Show 50th Anniversary - The Best of Mayberry

Buy The Andy Griffith Show 50th Anniversary - The Best of Mayberry on DVD
The Andy Griffith Show - Season 1 (Blu-ray)

Buy The Andy Griffith Show - Season 1 on Blu-ray

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > The Andy Griffith Show
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

FX and FXX January Has Many Premieres; Cougar Town Celebrates 100th Episode
Week 9 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: Hot in Cleveland to End; Netflix Picks up Tina Fey Comedy; Wonder Years Season 2 DVDs
Fox Mid-Season 2015 Schedule; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of November 24, 2014)
INSP Gets Walker, Texas Ranger; ABC, Fox Mid-Season New Show Premieres
TBS Orders 22 More Episodes for American Dad!; Hulu Orders Amy Poehler Comedy
Pop Launches Jan. 14, 2015 with 90210, Melrose Place; Mike & Molly Returns Monday, Dec. 8 on CBS

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series Sgt. Bilko - The Phil Silvers Show - The Complete Series Family Ties - The Complete Series Happy Days - The Sixth Season The Jeffersons - The Complete Series Mork & Mindy - The Complete Series

10/07 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Christmas Episodes
10/07 - The Flying Nun - The Complete First and Second Seasons (Mill Creek)
10/07 - The Middle - The Complete Fifth Season (Warner Archive)
10/07 - The Office - The Complete Series
10/07 - The Wonder Years - Season One
10/10 - The Wonder Years - The Complete Series - Review / The Signature Edition / Seasons 1-3
10/14 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Third Season
10/14 - Two and a Half Men - The Complete Eleventh Season
10/21 - Married with Children - Seasons 5 and 6 (Mill Crek)
10/21 - The Soul Man - The Complete Second Season
10/21 - Square Pegs - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/28 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series / Review
11/04 - Hot in Cleveland - Season Five
11/04 - Napoleon Dynamite - The Complete Animated Series
11/04 - Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The Complete Series
11/11 - Dads - The Complete Series
11/11 - Family Ties - The Complete Series
11/11 - My Favorite Martian - Best of Collection
11/11 - Taxi - The Complete Series
11/11 - Wings - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/18 - King of the Hill - The Complete Seventh Season / The Complete Eighth Season
11/25 - Better Off Ted - The Complete Second Season
12/02 - Happy Days - The Sixth Season
12/09 - Barney Miller - The Complete Sixth Season
12/09 - The Jeffersons - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mister Ed - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mork & Mindy - The Fourth Season / The Complete Series
12/16 - The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis - The Final (Fourth) Season
12/23 - My Favorite Martian - Season Two - Collector's Edition
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-18-2005, 04:45 AM   #1
senor boogie woogi
Banned!!
Banned

Default Was (Is) Andy Griffith a jerk?

Hola!

I have heard rumors in the past that Andy Griffith was not that nice of a person, at least during the TAGS TV series. I have heard that he was very demanding, unfriendly, and somewhat of a jerk. Has anybody ever heard this before?

Mr. Griffith plays a wide range of character, some of which were quite dark, moody, arrogant and even murderous characters. Really TAGS is the only time I remember him ever playing a nice, friendly character. (I forgot No Time for Sargeants, one of the funniest movies of the 1950s w/ Don Knotts)

My third hand information was from an interview and/or a book by George Lindsey (Goober). I do know that Mr. Griffith does not go to the reunions of his old TV show, nor does he mingle or do anything else anymore. Granted, he is over 80 now (how's his general health?)

Anything to add?

Senor
Old 03-19-2005, 11:40 PM   #2
snl75

ive never met him but ive herd many stories about him being not too friendly with fans or some of the people hes worked with some of the kid actors who have worked with him have said he was pretty friendly with them however.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:05 AM   #3
Pus$y Galore
Forum Veteran
In God's Arms Now

I've actually heard the opposite. That he was for the most part, a very friendly, gracious person. Ron Howard has often said he was like a father to him and I've seen home movies taken on the set where it shows that. I'm sure almost everyone in Hollywood has worked with someone they didn't get along with fully or that wasn't overly friendly.
Guess its the same in Hollywood as it is at anybody's place of work - rarely do you get along with everyone.

I've also seen him on every reunion show and with the cast and writers at the T.V. Land Awards a year or two ago.

I do know he's had several health problems - even before he started acting. Forget what the condition is called, but he was crippled when he was younger and had to learn to walk all over again. Think it was something like Gilliume-Barr syndrome or something (excuse the lousy spelling)!

James Marshall Hendrix
Voodoo Chile

The Forum Legend formerly known as TripperFan

"religion is for people who are afraid of hell--spirituality is for people who have been through hell"---anonymous
Old 03-20-2005, 10:10 AM   #4
gilligan fanatic
Born to Be Bad

Send a message via AIM to gilligan fanatic

on the Biography of Andy Griffith nobody ever said anything bad about him.

Filmaf ~ Twitter ~ Last.FM
Old 03-20-2005, 02:28 PM   #5
snl75

altough to be fair i though george lindseys book was a big whine feast its written from the point of view of poor me everybody was mean to me thaat i ever worked with wahhhh so you have to take what he at least what he said about andy with a grain of salt even george said he wished he had written a better book
Old 03-25-2005, 12:44 AM   #6
Samme
Forum Regular

I've wondered if this might be true about Andy Griffith too and have read enough to believe it isn't. I think as he's grown older and had many health problems Andy probably has grown grumpier
and might not want to deal with constant and probably sometimes foolish fan attention. Don Knotts said Andy seemed more tense when he was working on Matlock than the old show. Andy himself said he had a bad temper and was a SOB to be around when he was unhappy. But he told it on himself. He was also best friends with Don Knotts, who has a reputation as a very nice guy. Ron Howard has the same type of reputation and has always spoken very highly of Griffith as a person. I read a book by Alan Rafkin who directed many,
many classic tv shows and who told the dirt on which stars were the easiest and worst to work with and I was surprised to see his opinion of Andy. He did a lot of TAGS. He said of all the shows he worked on, TAGS was the most fun and professional with never any signs of temperment from any of the cast. (I just grabbed the book
from under my bed. I'm a slob.) "Andy was one of the most decent people I've ever known. He was perpetually smiling and usually it was because of something Don Knotts had done to make him laugh.
In fact the only person I ever knew that Andy didn't get along with was Jack Burns..." (That's
also where Andy mentioned being a SOB when he was uptight about the Jack Burns stuff not working.)
I might as well finish what Rafkin wrote. "Andy showed me what it could be like to work on a series and really enjoy myself. We did our work and we did it as a real team, taking our cues from Andy who was gentle sweet and very considerate. If I sound overly complimentary it's only because those qualities are not the kind you find in the stars of most television series." That's what sold me finally. I liked Lindsey's book but he also pointed out he got very arrogant when he became
famous as Goober. In another interview he was very annoyed that he wasn't asked to be on Matlock when others from the old show were. And when asked who
complained on the old show, one time he said it probably was him. George is probably nicer now,
and Andy might be somewhat grumpier but that's how it goes. Sorry for the long post. I got wound up.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:01 AM   #7
David
Forum Celebrity
mcphee.

Hmmm. I would be surprised to find out that he was a mean person.

v. 39 - katharine and chris

elliott, you rock.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:20 AM   #8
snl75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samme
I've wondered if this might be true about Andy Griffith too and have read enough to believe it isn't. I think as he's grown older and had many health problems Andy probably has grown grumpier
and might not want to deal with constant and probably sometimes foolish fan attention. Don Knotts said Andy seemed more tense when he was working on Matlock than the old show. Andy himself said he had a bad temper and was a SOB to be around when he was unhappy. But he told it on himself. He was also best friends with Don Knotts, who has a reputation as a very nice guy. Ron Howard has the same type of reputation and has always spoken very highly of Griffith as a person. I read a book by Alan Rafkin who directed many,
many classic tv shows and who told the dirt on which stars were the easiest and worst to work with and I was surprised to see his opinion of Andy. He did a lot of TAGS. He said of all the shows he worked on, TAGS was the most fun and professional with never any signs of temperment from any of the cast. (I just grabbed the book
from under my bed. I'm a slob.) "Andy was one of the most decent people I've ever known. He was perpetually smiling and usually it was because of something Don Knotts had done to make him laugh.
In fact the only person I ever knew that Andy didn't get along with was Jack Burns..." (That's
also where Andy mentioned being a SOB when he was uptight about the Jack Burns stuff not working.)
I might as well finish what Rafkin wrote. "Andy showed me what it could be like to work on a series and really enjoy myself. We did our work and we did it as a real team, taking our cues from Andy who was gentle sweet and very considerate. If I sound overly complimentary it's only because those qualities are not the kind you find in the stars of most television series." That's what sold me finally. I liked Lindsey's book but he also pointed out he got very arrogant when he became
famous as Goober. In another interview he was very annoyed that he wasn't asked to be on Matlock when others from the old show were. And when asked who
complained on the old show, one time he said it probably was him. George is probably nicer now,
and Andy might be somewhat grumpier but that's how it goes. Sorry for the long post. I got wound up.
i have that same book by alan rafkin cue the bunny on the rainbow if you like jucy gossipy stuff about tv stars this is the book for you
Old 03-26-2005, 06:47 AM   #9
senor boogie woogi
Banned!!
Banned

Hola!

I also read that Francis Bavier disliked Andy Griffith, but have heard that she was very difficult to work with and was demanding and bull headed.

Senor
Old 03-26-2005, 12:45 PM   #10
Pus$y Galore
Forum Veteran
In God's Arms Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by senor boogie woogi
Hola!

I also read that Francis Bavier disliked Andy Griffith, but have heard that she was very difficult to work with and was demanding and bull headed.

Senor

Yes - I've heard nasty things about Francis too. She felt the role of Aunt Bea was "beneath" her. Seems odd because the character was so sweet.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:05 PM   #11
mozark
Occasional Poster

Default An AG Story

My cousin Mary Ann and her husband Michael were story editors on some very popular shows in the 1980s. They also wrote for other series, including Matlock.

Sadly, I have nothing good to report concerning Andy Griffith's on-set personality. It really wasn't(according to Mary Ann) a question of "professionalism", because everyone is always trying to do his or her best. It was a question of AG being a "starhead" -- someone who just thought he was better, more talented, wiser, and more professional than anyone else. He was rude to all non-regular cast members and to most of the crew.

My cousin was also good friends with Elinor Donahue, who had nothing good to say about her experience with AGS's first season. Donahue is as kind as she is professional(and pretty). But it was his show and he didn't give a hoot about what she thought was right. He saw her as nothing more than someone who lucked out because of her good looks, someone who rode the coattails of Robert Young during the successful 6 seasons of "Father Knows Best". Basically, a piece of fluff. Anyone who has seen Elinor Donahue on FKB or AGS would know damn straight that the last thing she is is an airhead. But Andy-boy treated that way, and because of that she couldn't wait to get out of her contract. Too bad, because Ellie Walker was -- IMHO -- easily the best babe Sheriff Taylor ever had.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:43 PM   #12
Flora Malherbe
Frequent Poster

Default Andy Griffith

I actually had the chance to meet Andy a couple of years ago at a BMI reception in Nashville. Not that this gives me tremendous insight into the man, but during that brief moment when I shook his hand and exchanged a few comments with him, he made me feel like I was the only person in hte room. He grippeb my hand, and paid me his full attention while I stammered out how much I enjoyed the shows and his contributions to the entertainment world.

I have read a lot about Andy, including many things he wrote. I also have met George Lindsey on numerous occasions and think highly of him. I know George much better than I will ever know Andy. So... who was right?

Both of them.

You guys go to school, have jobs, live in families. Everyone has their good days and their bad days. Some of the nicest people you know also have a bit of temper when they are under pressure, and some equally nice folks struggle with a chip on their shoulder. Most of you do, too, as well as myself. Andy and George both cme from poverty and the wrong side of the tracks. Both of them struggled hard to pull out of poverty and to find acceptance. George turned to alcohol. Andy had a temper. They were and remain fine men who struggled with the same kinds of problems you and I do. They were niether one perfect - they still aren't perfect. But Andy wanted badly to create something good, honest, even noble when he created a small town full of quirky people who managed to pull together more times than not to make something good out of a bad situation... much like Andy and George both tried to do with their own lives.

Most people who acieve celebrity do get tired of insensitive fans who want the celebrity to perform on the spot. It would be nice to think they would drop everything to greet every fan, perform every impromptu line or song, sign every autograph with a hige smile plastered on their face, no matter how busy they are, no matter if they are trying to have a private conversation with a friend over a meal, or are trying to get to their next meeting or the doctor's office - whatever. But NONE OF US could live that way - be on call to drop everything for fans at the drop of a hat and put real life on hold while we smile, sign, and pose for pictures.

We don't want to be judged on our worst moments and want people to see us as we really are. We want everyone to give us a break and understand our motives are good even if we do get tired and frustrated and our tempers flare at times.

On set Andy is remembered by most as a kind and generous mentor, who gave even young Ronnie Howard a say in how things went on the show. Did Andy have a tember at times? Yes. Is the sum total of the man much, much greater then the times his temper showed? Yes.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:42 AM   #13
Monterey
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by senor boogie woogi
Hola!

Senor

I had read this also. I don't believe everything I read though.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:45 AM   #14
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

My dad once worked with a guy whose brother worked as a gaffer in Hollywood. He did work with Andy Griffith and said AG was a big jerk - demanding and rude. On the other hand, he said Bruce Willis was a terrific guy - down to earth, funny, and treated everyone great. It's a shame about AG, though.

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
Old 08-08-2007, 11:04 AM   #15
My Favorite Martian
Frequent Poster

Default for whatever it's worth

Many years ago I meet the props master from the show, he had nothing but nice things to say about AG.
He did however point out that from time to time he became a little frustrated with his complete lack of control of elements of the show.
But for anyone who has worked on a set, these shows were pumped out fast so you really had no chance to be bratty.
All actors have their moments, after all your playing with your mind at all times..so sometimes when your trying to get it down you can be a little snappy.
Don Knotts loved Andy and made no bones about it in a private conversation we once had, and Don was a honest straight shooter..I would beleave him.