Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

American Dreams Online / American Dreams Photo Gallery

American Dreams - Season One (Extended Music Edition)

Buy American Dreams - Season One (Extended Music Edition) on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Classic Dramas/Dramedies > American Dreams
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama
Hallmark's Holly Robinson Peete Series Coming in February; Remembering Sitcom Writer Bob Schiller

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-07-2005, 06:04 PM   #1
MMA003
Occasional Poster

Default News: American Dreams moving to Wednesdays

Just read a press release that says American Dreams will be moving to Wednesday starting March 9. You can read it here.
Why do it now when there are only 4 episodes left? Of course, it's to make room for "The Contender," one show that I can tell you that I will not be watching. However, American Dreams might benefit as the lead-in for the West Wing. I hope this change is intended to help save the show rather than let it run its course. All I have to say is that NBC better air a lot of promos to let viewers know about this change, otherwise, it will all have been for nothing.

There's also another release that says they have announced the semi-finalists of the Campbell's Soup Essay Contest. You can read that here.

Someone on another board mentioned this article where Tom Verica is interviewed. He discusses the status of the show.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:09 PM   #2
Pavan
Administrator
Forum Celebrity
SO News/Reviews Director

Location: Linden, NJ (Where Hal Linden got his last name from!)
Send a message via ICQ to Pavan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMA003
Just read a press release that says American Dreams will be moving to Wednesday starting March 9. You can read it here.
Why do it now when there are only 4 episodes left? Of course, it's to make room for "The Contender," one show that I can tell you that I will not be watching. However, American Dreams might benefit as the lead-in for the West Wing. I hope this change is intended to help save the show rather than let it run its course. All I have to say is that NBC better air a lot of promos to let viewers know about this change, otherwise, it will all have been for nothing.

There's also another release that says they have announced the semi-finalists of the Campbell's Soup Essay Contest. You can read that here.

Someone on another board mentioned this article where Tom Verica is interviewed. He discusses the status of the show.

Wednesdays at 8:00pm will be tough with Lost airing, and at times American Idol. NBC is probably trying to kill the show, I think. I think Fridays would have been better for the show.
SitcomsOnline.com DVD Reviews -- We are #1 in reviews!
Old 02-07-2005, 06:19 PM   #3
LuV2DreeM
Frequent Poster

CBS - "60 minutes Wednesday"
ABC - "Lost"
FOX - "That 70's Show"

Moving to Wednesday against these shows is the answer?

I guess time will tell.

Peace.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:22 PM   #4
Brent88
Forum Veteran

Well... it can't do any worse than those stupid specials they have been airing.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:59 PM   #5
TeeVeeCloset

I personally have always loved the show and have been with it since episode #1, but I'm afraid to announce that ALL true NBC insiders know that the program has already been cancelled, it just hasn't been announced...NBC did all it could, they heavily promoted each seasons launch, tried getting big product placement bucks to help the costs....released season one dvd & soundtrack cd to promote the show, TV Land honored the show during its first TV Land awards. The main problem with the show was that it is an episodic hour drama which doesn't invite new viewers to join in....some people prefer a standard open and finish to every episode and not a continuing storyline....its sad because it also barely has enough episodes for proper syndication...the plan is to probably rerun it on PAX or another cable outlet to recoup some of the investment....It will start appearing as a "repurposed" show by September.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:22 PM   #6
TVJunkie101
Member...you 'member?

Send a message via AIM to TVJunkie101

Wow, what a completely idiotic move on NBC's part.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:48 PM   #7
Storywriter
Tcha! You Know What.

Default Well

Well at least its on at 8pm and now I wouldn't have to stop watching it for King Of queens which is on at 9pm so I'm glad its 8pm so I can watch both AD and KOQ .It should have stayed put on Sunday what morons oh well nothing we can do about it except continue to watch it..Mel

Proud Adult Disney channel and Nickelodeon fan in her 30's

Last edited by Storywriter : 02-08-2005 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:49 PM   #8
Great8
Frequent Poster

What does "repurposed" mean? Why is Jonathan Prince telling us to write letters of support if he knows it's already canceled? Seems kinda pointless!
Old 02-08-2005, 10:55 AM   #9
Great8
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeVeeCloset
I personally have always loved the show and have been with it since episode #1, but I'm afraid to announce that ALL true NBC insiders know that the program has already been cancelled, it just hasn't been announced...NBC did all it could, they heavily promoted each seasons launch, tried getting big product placement bucks to help the costs....released season one dvd & soundtrack cd to promote the show, TV Land honored the show during its first TV Land awards. The main problem with the show was that it is an episodic hour drama which doesn't invite new viewers to join in....some people prefer a standard open and finish to every episode and not a continuing storyline....its sad because it also barely has enough episodes for proper syndication...the plan is to probably rerun it on PAX or another cable outlet to recoup some of the investment....It will start appearing as a "repurposed" show by September.

I read this again, and this just doesn't fly with me. First of all, MANY hour-long dramas have continuing storylines. On NBC alone, there's "ER", "Third Watch", and "Las Vegas", just off the top of my head. Some of the most popular dramas on television have continuing storylines: "Lost", "Alias", "Desperate Housewives", "24", "NYPD Blue", the list goes on. The only dramas on TV that have storylines that start and finish in an hour are the crime shows like the "Law and Order" franchise. That's why at the beginning of almost all the shows I listed, there's a "previously on ____" recap. So I certainly don't buy that the show isn't popular because it doesn't have self-contained episodes.

As for the heavy promotion, aside from before the premiere season, I never saw anything resembling heavy promotion, and believe me, I looked for it. The only promos I saw this season were for the commercial-free episode. No pop-ups at the bottom of the screen during other shows, no promos, no appearances on "The Tonight Show." It's like the red-headed step-child or something, and I really can't figure out why.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:29 PM   #10
TeeVeeCloset

I'll clarify...again I am a HUGE fan and supporter of the show, so as they say "don't kill the messenger"........In "most cases" continuing episodic one hour dramas that aren't hits right from the starting gate have problems gaining audiences......i know all about the recaps, but it is a perception from the "average" viewer that they have no interest in joining a show "in the middle"....I didn't say I agree......Desperate Housewives, Lost, etc were popular from the start and gained each week with word of mouth. I saw many promos each season on NBC for the show, Miss Snow & others did many daytime talk shows.....you can't count Leno, that is a place for really big shows and established stars. As for cancellation, historically the cast and production crew are the LAST to find out, many stars tell of learning about their shows cancellation while reporting to work! just consider this...When the networks announce their fall line-ups to the media and affiliates at the upfronts in May, do you really think the top network brass just figured out the schedule the week before??????? This is BIG business, pilots are ordered, looked at, considered and reconsidered.....the decisions of plotting and arranging what nights work best are looked at and decided months before it is announced to the general public.....we are the last considered & told in the food chain of television. As for "repurposing" it is a term used for running repeats of a show in a short amount of time since their original broadcast before traditional syndication. Pax & Trio (If it is still on the air) are being considered for American Dreams. If NBC made any missteps in promoting the show maybe they should have made some sort of "rerun window" shortly thereafter on TV Land (even though it is owned by CBS/Viacom) and tried to forcefeed the public the show and maybe it would have caught on....cable marathons are an incredible way to create buzz....of course TV Land would've had to stop running Bonanza every hour on the weekends to make it work...my tongue firmly planted in cheek......won't have time to check in again but regards to everyone!
Old 02-08-2005, 04:12 PM   #11
Great8
Frequent Poster

Didn't mean to shoot the messenger, but thanks for the clarification. I disagree with your assertion that Leno is for big stars/shows only; if NBC wanted to promote the show, they could've had one of the cast members do a segment once in a blue moon. They do that kind of cross-promotion all the time. I mean, I've even seen some kid star from a rival network show on there, so I think they could've squeezed an "AD" cast member in there if they wanted to.

I work during the day, so I have no way of knowing who's on what daytime talk show. I certainly believe you if you say Brittany Snow has done them. I just wish it were more frequent.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:06 PM   #12
AD FAN
Forum Regular
American Dreams

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuV2DreeM
CBS - "60 minutes Wednesday"
ABC - "Lost"
FOX - "That 70's Show"

Moving to Wednesday against these shows is the answer?

I guess time will tell.

Peace.

I agree that NBC could have picked another night. However I read on tvtome.com that ABC is airing repeats of Lost during most of March. (When AD comes back.) So maybe it won't be that bad after all.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:22 PM   #13
Brent88
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD FAN
I agree that NBC could have picked another night. However I read on tvtome.com that ABC is airing repeats of Lost during most of March. (When AD comes back.) So maybe it won't be that bad after all.

March and April is rerun season for most shows.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:38 PM   #14
Pavan
Administrator
Forum Celebrity
SO News/Reviews Director

Location: Linden, NJ (Where Hal Linden got his last name from!)
Send a message via ICQ to Pavan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD FAN

While that is true, even reruns of Lost so far have done much higher than any AD episode this season.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:37 AM   #15
Trish Marie
Frequent Poster
Lover of Jack Pryor

Quote:
What does "repurposed" mean? Why is Jonathan Prince telling us to write letters of support if he knows it's already canceled? Seems kinda pointless!

That's showbiz...

Time is money and money is time.

American Dreams being jerked around just proves that America has no taste and NBC is made up of a bunch of money grubbing losers. Par for the course I suppose.

Sorry NBC, right now you s*ck.

Trish