Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 23, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-29-2005, 01:14 PM   #31
D-Dey
Win The War!

Talking

Hey, better yet, try this rare VW Notchback Convertible!!

http://home.flash.net/~mikeh74/T3vert.html
Old 01-29-2005, 02:51 PM   #32
Steve M.
Forum Celebrity
Holding the compass

Inexplicably, the Type 3 Notchback was never officially sold here; VW of America didn't think it would sell. That didn't stop some Americans from importing a few through the "gray market," which is probably how that blue Sharan I saw in Manhattan got here.VWoA still needed a family car to supplement the Beetles, and it finally brought over the Type 3 Fastback, a picture of which I already posted.

But you're right; the Jetta isn't the first car to be created from an existing Volkswagen. In fact, there was a new Beetle model created from the existing Beetle. . .

Miscellaneous Musings

Pictures of Beautiful Women

WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE:

REPUBLICAN GOVERNORS CHRIS CHRISTIE - SCOTT WALKER - RICK SNYDER - JOHN KASICH - RICK SCOTT - PAUL LEPAGE

ON THE CHARGE OF IMPERSONATING AN OFFICE!!
Old 01-29-2005, 03:03 PM   #33
Steve M.
Forum Celebrity
Holding the compass

Exclamation Faster than a speeding Microbus, more powerful than a dune buggy, it's. . .

The Super Beetle!

As a family car, the Type 3 was the Passat of its day, but the Type 113 - a.k.a. the Super Beetle - was the Jetta of its time. Bigger than the standard Beetle, the Super Beetle offered more interior room and cargo room. But while it still offered an aircooled engine, it replaced front torsion bar suspension with MacPherson struts to allow for more trunk space. The room gained was at the cost of the Bug's unique handling, and purists - don't you hate purists? - wouldn't go near the 113.

Pictured above is a 1973 model. Note the convex windshield. Super Beetles from 1971 and 1972 - I had a `72 - had flat windshields in the VW tradition, but all Super Beetles from 1973 on had wraparound windshields, giving them an unorthodox, un-Volkswagen look - and a dashboard sill!

Last edited by Steve M. : 01-30-2005 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:02 PM   #34
Steve M.
Forum Celebrity
Holding the compass

Cool The Volkswagen Gol

Not the Golf. The Gol.

The Gol is a Volkswagen model VW produces in South America; it's especially aimed at the Brazilian market. Here's one, a 2000 model, and it's a real beauty!

Last edited by Steve M. : 02-01-2005 at 10:14 PM.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:11 PM   #35
Steve M.
Forum Celebrity
Holding the compass

Talking A Gol-den Oldie!

Here's a 1982 Gol model!

Old 02-01-2005, 02:12 PM   #36
Steve M.
Forum Celebrity
Holding the compass

Exclamation 28 IF?

Here's one of the most famous Volkswagens ever.

This VW Beetle appeared on the cover of the Beatles's Abbey Road album; it belonged to a fellow who lived across the street from Abbey Road Studios. A bunch of maniacs, however, suggested that is was a "clue" pertaining to the idea that Paul McCartney was dead. The VW's license plate allegedly spelled out his age - 28 IF Paul had lived.

Actually, Paul McCartney was 27 IF still alive. The "I" is in fact a "1" - number ones on British license plates have no serifs on them - and the letter "F" indicates that that car was registered in 1968. A close look at the Volkswagen - the bumpers, the absence of louvers on the hood - will show that it is indeed a '68 Bug.

Its mere presence on a Beatles album cover, death rumors or not, made it perhaps the most valuable VW in history. It sold for $2300 at auction in 1986; it's currently on display at a museum in Germany.

Last edited by Steve M. : 02-01-2005 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:18 PM   #37
Steve M.
Forum Celebrity
Holding the compass

Talking Off to the Derby!

The Volkswagen Derby was basically a Polo with a trunk, but it sure was cute.

The cat in the lower-right-hand corner of this picture seems to agree!

Like the Polo, the Derby never reached the North American market, but a Brazilian variation of it - the Fox - did.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:27 PM   #38
Steve M.
Forum Celebrity
Holding the compass

Cool Fox On the Run!

The Volkswagen Fox is not to be confused with the Audi Fox of the seventies. VW's model was the same thing as the Brazilian Voyage (pronounced voy-AJ) model.

This 1987 model, kept company by a Volkswagen camper, was one of the first Foxes sold in in this country. VW inrtoduced it as an entry-level car below the Golf. It came as a two-door sedan, a four-door sedan, and a three-door wagon. Though it sparked some interest, the lack of an optional automatic transmission kept sales low. The Fox lasted in VW's U.S./Canada lineup through 1993.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:29 PM   #39
Fleet
Forum Veteran
Mansions, limousines & H-ween

Send a message via AIM to Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M.
Here's one of the most famous Volkswagens ever.

Its mere presence on a Beatles album cover, death rumors or not, made it perhaps the most valuable VW in history. It sold for $2300 at auction in 1986; it's currently on display at a museum in Germany.
You would think it would be worth more than that. I mean, a 1970 Plymouth Hemicuda recently sold for $250,000 (and I don't think it was on an album cover). Of course, the Hemicudas are much more sought out and desired. Still, I would have guessed at least $10,000 for a famous VW. I wonder why the price was so low? Probably needed a complete restoration.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:18 PM   #40
Steve M.
Forum Celebrity
Holding the compass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet
You would think it would be worth more than that. I mean, a 1970 Plymouth Hemicuda recently sold for $250,000 (and I don't think it was on an album cover). Of course, the Hemicudas are much more sought out and desired. Still, I would have guessed at least $10,000 for a famous VW. I wonder why the price was so low? Probably needed a complete restoration.

Oh, drat - I forgot, 2300 was the figure in British pounds! Still, when you convert 2300 pounds into U.S. dollars by the exchange rates of the time, it comes to $3700 - and that's still a ridiculously low figure. I think you're right - that VW was in need of restoration! An auction on another Beatles car, the Apple Corps Bentley, was a complete dud because the Beatles had done so much damage to the interior, it was hardly worth anything! John Lennon's psychedelic Rolls-Royce was the real Fab Four automotive prize.

Last edited by Steve M. : 02-01-2005 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:43 PM   #41
Steve M.
Forum Celebrity
Holding the compass

Here's a nice 1981 Rabbit.

In May of that year, General Motors introduced its J-cars (the Chevrolet Cavalier and the Pontiac Sunbird) as 1982 models, and Volkswagen ran ads welcoming GM's competition. VW had every reason to be confident; after all, the first Cavalier/Sunbird models lacked 5-speed manual transmissions, optional diesel engines, and even fuel injection, all of which could be found on a 1981 Rabbit.

Long live the bunny!
Old 02-01-2005, 08:51 PM   #42
Fleet
Forum Veteran
Mansions, limousines & H-ween

Send a message via AIM to Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M.
Oh, drat - I forgot, 2300 was the figure in British pounds! Still, when you convert 2300 pounds into U.S. dollars by the exchange rates of the time, it comes to $3700 - and that's still a ridiculously low figure. I think you're right - that VW was in need of restoration! An auction on another Beatles car, the Apple Corps Bentley, was a complete dud becasue the Beatles had done so much damage to the interior, it was hardly worth anything! John Lennon's psychedelic Rolls-Royce was the real Fab Four automotive prize.
Okay, the conversion you did makes more sense.
As we both have concluded, it probably does need work done. I've seen cars like that for sale in Hemmings for more than $3,700, and they were not on albums or anything like that.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:37 PM   #43
Steve M.
Forum Celebrity
Holding the compass

Oh yeah, the museum you can see the Abbey Road VW at is the Volkswagen Autostadt museum in Wolfsburg, Germany.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:05 PM   #44
Steve M.
Forum Celebrity
Holding the compass

One more pic, and I'm calling it a night:

Here's a really nice Bug!

Old 02-04-2005, 10:22 PM   #45
Steve M.
Forum Celebrity
Holding the compass

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Dey
Hey, better yet, try this rare VW Notchback Convertible!!

By the way, D-Dey, the VW Notchback convertible was never actually produced. Why? VW couldn't find a way to increase body rigidity - a problem for any convertible - and they had to abandon the idea. Looked great, though.