Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Wings links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Wings Photo Gallery

Wings - The Complete First and Second Seasons

Buy Wings - The Complete First and Second Seasons on DVD
Wings - The Complete First and Second Seasons (Mill Creek)

Buy Wings - The Complete First and Second Seasons (Mill Creek) on DVD
Wings - The Complete Third Season

Buy Wings - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Wings - The Fourth Season

Buy Wings - The Fourth Season on DVD
Wings - The Fifth Season

Buy Wings - The Fifth Season on DVD
Wings - The Sixth Season

Buy Wings - The Sixth Season on DVD
Wings - The Seventh Season

Buy Wings - The Seventh Season on DVD
Wings - The Final (Eighth) Season

Buy Wings - The Final (Eighth) Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1990s Sitcoms > Wings

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Netflix Gets 2 More Comedies; YouTube Orders Wayne, a New Comedy
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 24, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Netflix Orders Multi-Camera Sitcom with Melissa Joan Hart and Sean Astin; Three New Seasons of Bob's Burgers on DVD
Fri-Yay: BoJack Horseman is as Delightfully Sad as Ever in Season 5; The Guest Book Returns Oct. 23 on TBS with More Guests
The Goldbergs Coming to TV Land; grown-ish Returns in January on Freeform
South Park 8 Day Marathon on Comedy Central; Classic Adult Swim Comedy Returns with Special
NBC Fall Pilot Review: I Feel Bad - Premieres Wednesday (Sept. 19); 70th Annual Primetime Emmy Award Winners
Married with Children Now on WGN America; black-ish Enters National Syndication and Free Sneakers Contest

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September)

The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season Step by Step - The Complete Second Season Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season

08/07 - Happy Endings - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
08/15 - A.P. Bio - Season One
08/28 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Five
08/28 - Man Seeking Woman - The Complete Third Season
09/04 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season 12
09/04 - Mom - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Superstore - Season Three
09/04 - Young Sheldon - The Complete First Season
09/11 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
09/11 - The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - People of Earth - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - Community - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
09/18 - Step by Step - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fourth Season
09/25 - Blondie - The Complete 1957 Television Series
09/25 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 12-02-2004, 10:46 AM   #1
blackbeard
B.O.G.
Forum Regular

Default Crystal Bernard in Hallmark movie

Our favorite lunch counter lady stars with Steve Guttenberg, Thomas Calabro, and Armin Shimerman in a movie titled Single Santa Seeks Mrs. Claus. It premiers on the Hallmark Channel Dec 11 at 9 pm eastern time. It is also shown on Dec 16, 19 and 25

Stressed-out single mom Beth Marshall has little time for a relationship. But her son would like nothing more than a complete family - and writes a letter to Santa telling him so.

In no time, an enchanting man named Nick appears in their lives. Although he seems like an average Joe, he's actually Santa's son. But before he can take over the family business, he has to find the perfect Mrs. Claus. This charming Kris Kringle can melt the frostiest of people with his warmth. But he just might need a miracle to melt Beth's heart.
blackbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 11:14 AM   #2
phoebe7165
Pop Culture Goddess
Forum Veteran

Thanks, Blackbeard!! I'll definitely be setting my VCR.

Rescued animals make the best pets. Opt to Adopt!!
phoebe7165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 02:25 PM   #3
AngeFaitore
This Week's Logo
Forum Regular

Location: Something somewhere, in some way at some point and time
Send a message via ICQ to AngeFaitore Send a message via Yahoo to AngeFaitore

Crystal, Guttenberg AND Quark.
*CHA-CHING* I think we've hit the jackpot!
Actually, I've been waiting for this movie for a while now. I used to be a huge Steve Guttenberg fan when I was in middle school and I still like to watch his stuff.

The Closing Logo of the Week:
The Viacom "V" of Death.

Thomas Haden Church: The Power of a Laugh
http://www.geocities.com/thc3_31_60/Thomas.html
AngeFaitore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 08:34 PM   #4
pilotguy

Crystal Bernard as Santa's wife...now THAT sounds like it has possibilities!

Couldn't you just see it now? The elves are hard at working making toys and other gifts...and in walks Crystal as Mrs. Claus, carrying a big tray of homemade cookies and a pitcher of cold milk...and saying (in her best "Helen Chappel" drawl), "You boys have been workin' SO hard that I thought that I'd bring you some milk and cookies! Now don't mind ME, just keep goin' on with your work!"

Ah, those lucky elves!
pilotguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 04:02 PM   #5
Chocoholic
Banned
Banned!!
Forum Veteran

That sounds good, but unfortunately for me, my cable company doesn't have Hallmark. I hear they're supposed to add it soon though. Unfortunately, we're losing WE
Chocoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 02:56 AM   #6
pilotguy

I watched the Hallmark movie tonight. It was OK...not GREAT, but OK in a pleasant sort of way. It had kind of a "Disney TV Movie" quality about it.

While Steve Guttenberg's "Ho Ho Ho" laugh was getting on my nerves after awhile, it was so nice to see Crystal for a long stretch....starring in a two-hour movie instead of those quickie sitcom guest appearances that she's been doing lately.

I'm happy to say that our Crystal was in top form....that same special combination of warmth and feistiness. Like watching new TV shows and movies with Tim Daly, Steven Weber, Tony Shalhoub, Thomas Haden Church, Amy Yasbeck and other "Wings" cast members, this Hallmark movie was a nice visit with an "old friend".
Old 12-12-2004, 11:20 AM   #7
kellynch
Frequent Poster

I'd forgotten to set my DVR to record it last night but, since it was replayed all night long, I was able to record one of those repeats.

I'm glad to hear it wasn't too painful. I'm heading out for brunch momentarily, so I hope to watch it after the Jets game ends at 7.
kellynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 01:29 PM   #8
AngeFaitore
This Week's Logo
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by pilotguy
I watched the Hallmark movie tonight. It was OK...not GREAT, but OK in a pleasant sort of way. It had kind of a "Disney TV Movie" quality about it.

While Steve Guttenberg's "Ho Ho Ho" laugh was getting on my nerves after awhile, it was so nice to see Crystal for a long stretch....starring in a two-hour movie instead of those quickie sitcom guest appearances that she's been doing lately.
I also noticed that like many of Hallmark's movies, it had a slight Christian angle to it.
Example: The video game that was like Sim City meets Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. It was a "Will someone think of the children!?!" moment.

Steve Guttenberg just doesn't strike me as a Santa Claus. I enjoyed Kelsey Grammer's take on Santa's son in the movie Mr. St. Nick better.
Seeing Guttenberg with Crystal made me really wish that Thomas Haden Church was also in the movie, because I've always wanted to see Guttenberg and Thomas do a movie together.
Steve Guttenberg was -thisclose- to being with Thomas in a movie!
Old 12-12-2004, 02:56 PM   #9
pilotguy

Quote:
Originally posted by AngeFaitore
I also noticed that like many of Hallmark's movies, it had a slight Christian angle to it.
Example: The video game that was like Sim City meets Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. It was a "Will someone think of the children!?!" moment.

Steve Guttenberg just doesn't strike me as a Santa Claus. I enjoyed Kelsey Grammer's take on Santa's son in the movie Mr. St. Nick better.
Seeing Guttenberg with Crystal made me really wish that Thomas Haden Church was also in the movie, because I've always wanted to see Guttenberg and Thomas do a movie together.
Steve Guttenberg was -thisclose- to being with Thomas in a movie!
Oh Ange, you'd like to see Thomas Haden Church and ANYBODY do a movie together!

This is going to sound crazy, but I think that Steven Weber would have been PERFECT as the "new" Santa Claus. He has that "big kid" quality about him, but he could also take the job seriously enough where the children would get their presents.

Of course, having Steven and Crystal together as a romantic couple (even as other characters) would freak out a lot of "Wings" fans, so it wouldn't happen.....but again, Steven would make a GREAT "new" Santa!
Old 12-12-2004, 03:03 PM   #10
spunkygirl
Forum Veteran

Ooh sounds good, I'll have to catch a repeat of it. Thanks
spunkygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 03:08 PM   #11
kellynch
Frequent Poster

I think it'll be on again later in the week.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:17 AM   #12
kellynch
Frequent Poster

I double-checked, and it looks as if the movie will be repeated on Thursday night at 9 Eastern.

I did get to watch it yesterday, and thought Crystal didn't look so good. Her hair occasionally looked stringy and unwashed and the cut just isn't flattering for a woman in her 40s.

Steve Guttenberg isn't aging well either, I have to say.

*sigh*
Old 12-13-2004, 11:25 AM   #13
AngeFaitore
This Week's Logo
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by kellynch

I did get to watch it yesterday, and thought Crystal didn't look so good. Her hair occasionally looked stringy and unwashed and the cut just isn't flattering for a woman in her 40s.

*sigh*
Crystal actually looks in better shape than Steve!
I used to have a HUGE crush on Steve Guttenberg and I watched the movie Short Circuit at least four times a week (This was from the time I was in 4th grade until late middle school).
It's too bad that his looks are deteriorating because he used to be so CUTE!
Old 12-13-2004, 12:47 PM   #14
pilotguy

Quote:
Originally posted by kellynch
I double-checked, and it looks as if the movie will be repeated on Thursday night at 9 Eastern.

*sigh*
Hey, give Crystal a break....time marches on! I think some of us watch these new appearances by "Wings" members and expect them to look just like they did on "Wings". That show was about ten years ago. Steven Weber looks quite a bit older now than he did when he played Brian Hackett....that's because he IS older!

I think what may have made Crystal look "not so good" to you was that she wore her hair in the style and color of Helen Chappel, which only reinforced the changes in her face. If she had appeared with brown hair, or wore her blonde hair in a shorter style (like she did a few years ago), she probably wouldn't have looked so much like an older version of Helen.

Plus her character was a single mother who was trying to juggle raising a son and a VERY demanding career with long, ridiculous hours....so maybe it was realistic if she looked a bit tired!

Personally, ANY time that I see Crystal Bernard, it's a treat for my eyes!
Old 12-13-2004, 12:57 PM   #15
kellynch
Frequent Poster

I'm 10 years older too (same age as Steven Weber), but I do try to age gracefully. I don't wear mini skirts anymore, I try to keep my hair cut in a way that doesn't make me look as if I'm 25, and I don't wear flashy makeup. I'm not a frump, but I'm also not a kid, and frankly, I think that middle-aged women who try to look their daughters' age look pathetic. There are far too many 40-something-trying-to-look-like-20-something women out there, and I really don't think it's a good look.

I fully expected Crystal to look older. I just didn't expect her to look as if she were still trying to look like Helen Chappell Scarpacci Hackett. And, in my opinion, that's exactly what she is doing.

PS -- this does not excuse the stringy hair.