Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Happy Days Online / Happy Days links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Happy Days Photo Gallery

Happy Days - The Complete First Season

Buy Happy Days - The Complete First Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Second Season

Buy Happy Days - The Second Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Third Season

Buy Happy Days - The Third Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fourth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fourth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fifth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fifth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Sixth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Sixth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Happy Days
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Rare Game Show on GSN with TV Veterans; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of October 27, 2014)
Steve Coogan Tapped for Happyish Pilot for Showtime; Lifetime's Lizzie Borden Movie Turning Into Limited Series
CBS to Launch Decades, A New Digital Subchannel; The CW Orders Full Seasons of The Flash, Jane the Virgin
COZI TV Goes One Step Beyond on Halloween; FX Unveils Simpsons World
Hogan's Heroes Returns to TV Land; CBS All Access Service Includes Classic TV
Week 4 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: CBS Introduces CBS All Access; Even More Remakes of Classic TV Series Under Consideration; New Family Guy DVDs

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series Sgt. Bilko - The Phil Silvers Show - The Complete Series Family Ties - The Complete Series Happy Days - The Sixth Season The Jeffersons - The Complete Series Mork & Mindy - The Complete Series

10/07 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Christmas Episodes
10/07 - The Flying Nun - The Complete First and Second Seasons (Mill Creek)
10/07 - The Middle - The Complete Fifth Season (Warner Archive)
10/07 - The Office - The Complete Series
10/07 - The Wonder Years - Season One
10/10 - The Wonder Years - The Complete Series - Read Our Review / The Signature Edition / Seasons 1-3
10/14 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Third Season
10/14 - Two and a Half Men - The Complete Eleventh Season
10/21 - Married with Children - Seasons 5 and 6 (Mill Crek)
10/21 - The Soul Man - The Complete Second Season
10/21 - Square Pegs - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/28 - WKRP in Cincinnati - The Complete Series
11/04 - Hot in Cleveland - Season Five
11/04 - Napoleon Dynamite - The Complete Animated Series
11/04 - Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show) - The Complete Series
11/11 - Dads - The Complete Series
11/11 - Family Ties - The Complete Series
11/11 - My Favorite Martian - Best of Collection
11/11 - Taxi - The Complete Series
11/11 - Wings - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/18 - King of the Hill - The Complete Seventh Season / The Complete Eighth Season
11/25 - Better Off Ted - The Complete Second Season
12/02 - Happy Days - The Sixth Season
12/09 - Barney Miller - The Complete Sixth Season
12/09 - The Jeffersons - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mister Ed - The Complete Series
12/09 - Mork & Mindy - The Fourth Season / The Complete Series
12/16 - The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis - The Final (Fourth) Season
12/23 - My Favorite Martian - Season Two - Collector's Edition
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-27-2004, 12:16 AM   #1
Corleone23
Occasional Poster

Default Fonzi's clothing transition

Has anyone else noticed how the Fonz's cloths change from early in the show to the later years?

Originally, he had a darker leatheer jacket, a white t-shirt, darker straight-ended jeans, and black boots.

Later, he wore a lighter leather jacket, a black t-shirt, lighter bell-bottomed jeans, and pointier boots.

I far prefer the earlier Fonz. That was the real 50's style, and I think the styles of the show got too 70's/80's in the later years.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:40 AM   #2
wayne

He wore a windbreaker jacket during the 1st season instead of a leather one because Garry Marshall was doing a film somewhere, but when he came back, the leather was there to stay. Some people say its blue, but it looks grey to me, anyway it looks ugly!
Old 07-27-2004, 06:50 AM   #3
ponytail

I think he wore the black t-shirt because he had gained weight. I didn't care for the bell-bottomed jeans. I perferred the earlier Fonz, black leathered jacket, dark blue jeans and white t-shirt.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:53 AM   #4
Bea
Banned!!
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Bea
Default Fonzie's clothing translation

The Fonz has a great sense of fashion if you ask me.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:18 AM   #5
TheGreatPretender
just because

Quote:
Originally posted by ponytail
I didn't care for the bell-bottomed jeans.

ew neither did I. i didn't like how the leather jacket was suddenly brown too.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:31 PM   #6
Orville Kruger
Frequent Poster

He wore the windbreaker because the network didn't want a guy in a leather jacket.

They told Garry Marshall that he could only wear the leather jacket when he was with his motorcycle. So started staging a lot of Fonzie's scenes with him leaning against his bike.

Classic TV link
Old 07-29-2004, 02:24 AM   #7
Corleone23
Occasional Poster

Default re

Yeah we know about the windbreaker jacket...

but I meant more the change from early leather jacket to later epsiodes...
Old 07-30-2004, 07:06 PM   #8
Orville Kruger
Frequent Poster

I think Fonzie eventually switched to the black t-shirt because, being close to 40, he was getting a bit of a spare tire.

And of course everyone's hair got longer. The actors were living in the 70's and weren't committed enough to cut their hair to the period they were trying to portray.

Hey Corleone, here's a Godfather link you might be interested in. Enjoy.
Old 08-01-2004, 03:58 PM   #9
hawaii five-o
Book 'Em, Dano

Fonzie's original leather jacket was donated to the Smithsonian. That's why his jacket changed from black to brown.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:05 PM   #10
Artfiore1
Forum Regular

Hi all,
This is something I have been wondering for quite some time, and would like to know if any of you folks know. Just exactly how many different Fonzie leather jackets there were?

There was, of course, the classic dark brown, grainy leather, collar-turned-up Fonzie leather jacket, which was seen in the first two or three seasons of Happy Days . . . after the producers decided that leather didn't mean "crime" and ditched the cotton jacket. Then some time in or around 1977 -- around the time of Spunky runnng away -- Fonz went to a jacket which was noticeably larger. (I've always assumed that the "Fonziemania" of 1975 & '76 had led to Henry Winkler eating better and outgrowing the original jacket. Plus, he was getting older.) In either case, he could no longer wear a jacket which fit Joanie perfectly. That second Fonzie jacket had a lighter (sort of tan) trim around the waist and cuffs. It also appeared to be a slightly lighter shade of brown, and looked like it had a smoother texture to it. He went on wearing that same one, or one like it, except it had *dark brown* trim around the waist and cuffs, instead of that tan trim. This darker trim was also MUCH thicker than the other(s). This makes me wonder -- was this still the same second jacket just with different trim on it or was it a whole new jacket? We're, at this point, talking about two, possibly three, different leather jackets.

Then came the period during which the Fonz wore the jacket with the collar flat down and zippered up higher in the front, over a *black* T-shirt instead of a white one. (Did someone think a black T-shirt would make him look thinner?) To me, it made the jacket appear an even *lighter* shade of brown . . . . or was *that* another jacket, which actually *was* a lighter brown? Now, we're up to three, possibly four leather jackets.

Eventually near the end of the series, he went back to the collar-turned-up, jacket zippered lower, white T-shirt look. This jacket seemed darker, just like the one he wore in the early years of the show. But, it also appeared to have that smoother texture to it, AND it had the darker, thicker trim. So, my next question is -- was this jacket he wore at the end of the series the same one he'd been wearing since '77, just looking darker because he'd gone back to a white T-shirt, or in actuality was it about the fifth or sixth different jacket?

Does anyone know for sure?

How many jackets were there? And, when they say the Fonz's leather jacket is in the Smithsonian Institution, which one is there? Somebody here (hawaii five-o) mentioned that the original jacket being donated to the Smithsonian was the reason he changed jackets on the show. But actually, I'm pretty sure that the first, possibly the only, jacket change on the show had occurred something like 5 years prior to the Smithsonian induction.

Just curious.

Later,
Art
Old 08-24-2004, 01:56 AM   #11
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to TJ

From what I've heard, there were atleast 3 of the classic leather jackets. The first one got stolen. Then there was another one that was used and is in the Smithsonian I believe and there was one that was specially made with lining for the Jump The Shark episode.

Scott Baio mentions the leather jackets in this article also:

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/...threadid=98187
Old 08-24-2004, 10:44 AM   #12
Artfiore1
Forum Regular

TJ,
Thanks for the info and the link. Interesting to see Scott making reference to some of the same things I did in my earlier reply -- just in different words.

It appears that what I called a "second jacket" with "a lighter (sort of tan) trim around the waist and cuffs, which "appeared to be a slightly lighter shade of brown, and looked like it had a smoother texture to it", to Scott, was "another leather jacket, which is more realistic."

I also made reference to a jacket Fonz wore "with the collar flat down and zippered up higher in the front, over a *black* T-shirt instead of a white one", which appeared to be "an even *lighter* shade of brown." I guess this is what Scott means when he says "third jacket which was, in my opinion, a little wimpy."

And, what I called "dark brown trim around the waist and cuffs, (instead of that tan trim) which was also "MUCH thicker than the other(s)," Scott referred to as "elastic armbands" on a jacket which "wasn't black, it was brown."

We still don't *really* know for sure. There were at least three -- that's for sure. There may have only been three. There may have been five. There may have even been six.

Later,
Art
Old 08-24-2004, 06:40 PM   #13
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Default Re: Fonzi's clothing transition

Quote:
Originally posted by Corleone23
Has anyone else noticed how the Fonz's cloths change from early in the show to the later years?

Originally, he had a darker leatheer jacket, a white t-shirt, darker straight-ended jeans, and black boots.

Later, he wore a lighter leather jacket, a black t-shirt, lighter bell-bottomed jeans, and pointier boots.

I far prefer the earlier Fonz. That was the real 50's style, and I think the styles of the show got too 70's/80's in the later years.

Fonz worst outfit was

Brown Leather Jacket
Vanilla Jeans
Black T-Shirt

What a mess
Old 08-24-2004, 07:42 PM   #14
Artfiore1
Forum Regular

Corleone23,
The late 1950s can only last so long, As the Fonz and the Cunninghams moved into the 1960s, and the cast and crew, in real life, moved through the disco era and into the 1980s, changes had to occur. I'd imagine it's awfully difficult to produce a TV show the setting of which began some time around 1957 and then ended 11 years later in the mid '60s. Fonz ditched the "wet look" when most of the country did, but he never gave up the D.A. He also started wearing the kinds of pants an aging greaser might in the '60s, rather than what a Mr. Cool of the '50s would.

To me, however, the thing that made the least amount of sense throughout the series -- was Chachi's hair.

Later,
Art
Old 09-19-2004, 07:21 PM   #15
Corleone23
Occasional Poster

Yeah, they should have kept the 50's clothes. The 50's were so much better than the 60's.