Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Golden Girls Central / The Golden Girls links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Golden Girls Photo Gallery


The Golden Girls - Season 1

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 1 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 2

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 2 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 3

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 3 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 4

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 4 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 5

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 5 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 6

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 6 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 7

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 7 on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Golden Girls

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Lifetime Orders TV Movies, Including One with Alyssa Milano; Dear White People Gets 3rd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 25, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Roseanne Without Roseanne is Official; Is a Revival of The Nanny in the Works?
Fri-Yay: Shows to Catch Up on This Summer; The Conners Coming to ABC Tuesdays This Fall
3rd Rock from the Sun Launches on Laff in July; The CW Fall 2018 Premiere Dates
NBC Fall 2018 Premiere Dates; Season 4 of Bounce Sitcom Premieres July 2
The History of Comedy Returns to CNN; Showtime Gets First Late Night Talk Show
Showtime Gets Don Cheadle Comedy; HBO Special Directed by Jerrod Carmichael Coming Soon
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 18, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Roseanne Spinoff One Step Closer to Reality; Netflix to Air New Season of Lucifer


New on DVD/Blu-ray (June)

Living Single - The Complete Fifth Season Step by Step - The Complete First Season Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season One Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fourth Season Last Man Standing - The Complete Sixth Season

06/05 - Living Single - The Complete Fifth Season
06/05 - New Girl - The Complete Sixth Season
06/05 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-First Season (Blu-ray)
06/12 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fourth Season
06/12 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Third Season
06/12 - The Office - The Complete Series
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete Second Season
06/12 - Step by Step - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season One (Blu-ray)
06/19 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fourth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Fifth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Sixth Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete First Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete Second Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-24-2013, 03:08 AM   #1
Wildchats
Me
Forum Regular
 
Wildchats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 15, 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 948
Default Extended theme song question...

On Lifetime, I recall in a few select shows, especially in Bringing up Baby, they extended the theme to include another verse of "And if you threw a party"...



Quick question...on the DVD releases, we see the original season 1 intro...


However, they only sing one verse of "and if you threw a party" for the remainder of seasons 2 through 7.


Did Lifetime do that to the theme in select few shows? Or was that an actual original intro they used in a season that they didn't care to use on the DVD? Makes no sense, as they are trying to make it look exactly the way it aired.


I know on Lifetime the episode Bringing Up Baby definitely has that extended theme. It has the full theme song, then it has that jingle and Da-da-da music as they show a few classic clips of such like Blanche jogging in her suit and Rose walking through the door, then Rose and Blanche dancing in the livingroom before they went back to the theme song and that extra verse at the end.

Not sure if that was an original thing, of if lifetime just did that and if it was original, why was it dropped on the DVD?
Wildchats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:54 PM   #2
Kasey
Member
Forum Regular
 
Kasey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 22, 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 987
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildchats
On Lifetime, I recall in a few select shows, especially in Bringing up Baby, they extended the theme to include another verse of "And if you threw a party"...



Quick question...on the DVD releases, we see the original season 1 intro...


However, they only sing one verse of "and if you threw a party" for the remainder of seasons 2 through 7.


Did Lifetime do that to the theme in select few shows? Or was that an actual original intro they used in a season that they didn't care to use on the DVD? Makes no sense, as they are trying to make it look exactly the way it aired.


I know on Lifetime the episode Bringing Up Baby definitely has that extended theme. It has the full theme song, then it has that jingle and Da-da-da music as they show a few classic clips of such like Blanche jogging in her suit and Rose walking through the door, then Rose and Blanche dancing in the livingroom before they went back to the theme song and that extra verse at the end.

Not sure if that was an original thing, of if lifetime just did that and if it was original, why was it dropped on the DVD?

It was probably because the episode itself ran a little short so they had a rare extended intro to make up the time. I remember Three's Company did this a few times during the Chrissy years where the theme had an extra instrumental part in the middle with a few extra clips added to pad time.
__________________
Still waiting for an enterprising retro network to air IT'S A LIVING

Top 10 Shows I Want Completed on DVD: It's a Living, Alice, The Donna Reed Show, Phyllis, Petticoat Junction, My Three Sons, Murphy Brown, The Hogan Family, Julia, 227
Kasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:18 PM   #3
CDThe1
Member
Frequent Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 26, 2009
Location: MS
Posts: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildchats
On Lifetime, I recall in a few select shows, especially in Bringing up Baby, they extended the theme to include another verse of "And if you threw a party"...



Quick question...on the DVD releases, we see the original season 1 intro...


However, they only sing one verse of "and if you threw a party" for the remainder of seasons 2 through 7.


Did Lifetime do that to the theme in select few shows? Or was that an actual original intro they used in a season that they didn't care to use on the DVD? Makes no sense, as they are trying to make it look exactly the way it aired.


I know on Lifetime the episode Bringing Up Baby definitely has that extended theme. It has the full theme song, then it has that jingle and Da-da-da music as they show a few classic clips of such like Blanche jogging in her suit and Rose walking through the door, then Rose and Blanche dancing in the livingroom before they went back to the theme song and that extra verse at the end.

Not sure if that was an original thing, of if lifetime just did that and if it was original, why was it dropped on the DVD?
The DVD's have the original aired version of the theme song. There was never an extended theme song during the original run in prime time. In syndication, they always cut out some for more commercials. The theme was extended in some episodes for syndication to meet time requirements.
CDThe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 05:36 PM   #4
tmac81s
Member
Frequent Poster
 
tmac81s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 06, 2011
Location: Kalispell, MT, USA
Posts: 188
Default Extended intro

I remember first seeing this when NBC aired reruns in its daytime lineup in the late 80s. I was always excited when this version would air. I haven't seen it on tv since the Lifetime airings. I wish it could have been included on some of the DVDs, even if only as a bonus feature !
__________________
"Aaaaayyy"~~The Fonz, "Happy Days"

"I've Heard it Both Ways"~~Shawn Spencer, "Psych"

"Well how the hell should I know?”~~Thelma Harper, “Mama’s Family”/“Carol Burnett Show”
tmac81s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:19 PM   #5
'80sSitcoms
Member
Senior Member
 
'80sSitcoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 30, 2013
Posts: 1,219
Default

It's kind of ridicuulous they would cut the episodes, and then extendthe theme song to make the time match up. Why not just leave in some of what you cut out of the episode iteself?
'80sSitcoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:50 PM   #6
TV Tan
Member
Frequent Poster
 
TV Tan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 31, 2016
Posts: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by '80sSitcoms
It's kind of ridicuulous they would cut the episodes, and then extendthe theme song to make the time match up. Why not just leave in some of what you cut out of the episode iteself?
It wasn't just Lifetime, many other networks had this too. I used to have a VHS full of episodes from some local channel, so I know it's not Lifetime. It's just how the distribution decided to cut the syndicated run for buying networks.
I do agree it's silly to extend the song, if you're cutting a scene in the same process, but more than likely, that small time from the scenes in question wouldn't make sense without the rest. That extra 20 seconds (did a count in my head on that part) for a 1.5 to 2 minute cut... nothing 20 seconds from that cut would resonate without the rest of it left in... so let's make a remix of Thank You for being a Friend.
Anyway, that was how I interpreted it when I got the DVDs and they didn't have themes extended... but the content was original cut runs.
TV Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:27 PM   #7
bandonurse
Member
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 17, 2015
Location: Mentor, Ohio
Posts: 288
Default

I've never heard the extended version of the theme song, but I'd love to.

My guess is, since most of the extra scenes we enjoy on our DVD's are much longer than the extra seconds in an extended theme song would be, it's not possible to make an even exchange, time wise.

Think about the extra scene where we actually meet the girl the GG's were catering for, who abandoned them the night before her wedding to elope, instead of paying them to cater her wedding the next day. Dorothy then "gifted" her with a vase, immediately calling the police to report it being stolen, to pay her back. That involved several minutes, not several seconds.

Same thing with the episode involving "Jake" the caterer, when they showed an entire scene at a restaurant with Jake drinking his soup right out of the bowl, instead of eating it with a spoon. That extra scene was also relatively lengthy.
bandonurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:04 AM   #8
'80sSitcoms
Member
Senior Member
 
'80sSitcoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 30, 2013
Posts: 1,219
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandonurse
My guess is, since most of the extra scenes we enjoy on our DVD's are much longer than the extra seconds in an extended theme song would be, it's not possible to make an even exchange, time wise.
But there are instances where a they simply cut a joke or a comment or two of extraneous lines that are just several seconds. That's what makes it so interesting they would bother to simply extend the theme song.


Quote:
Originally Posted by bandonurse
Think about the extra scene where we actually meet the girl the GG's were catering for, who abandoned them the night before her wedding to elope, instead of paying them to cater her wedding the next day. Dorothy then "gifted" her with a vase, immediately calling the police to report it being stolen, to pay her back. That involved several minutes, not several seconds.
That's not an extra scene, that was always shown in the reruns on Lifetime.
'80sSitcoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:17 PM   #9
bandonurse
Member
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 17, 2015
Location: Mentor, Ohio
Posts: 288
Default

I don't get GG on my Lifetime Channel. In northeast Ohio, I watch it on Hallmark Channel, or on the TVLand Channel. Neither of which show the segment I described.

Interesting to learn they do show it on Lifetime in some parts of the country. From your info, I gather that channels vary their programming options from place to place.
bandonurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:05 PM   #10
'80sSitcoms
Member
Senior Member
 
'80sSitcoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 30, 2013
Posts: 1,219
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandonurse
I don't get GG on my Lifetime Channel. In northeast Ohio, I watch it on Hallmark Channel, or on the TVLand Channel. Neither of which show the segment I described.
Wow, that's amazing that they cut that whole scene out on those stations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandonurse
Interesting to learn they do show it on Lifetime in some parts of the country. From your info, I gather that channels vary their programming options from place to place.
Oh they don't show it on Lifetime now (as far as I know), but I meant back in the day when they showed GG and Designing Women back-to-back in 2-hour blocks (now that was Must-See TV!). I used to watch GG on Lifetime, and they did have that scene in their airings.
'80sSitcoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:48 PM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

VigLink badge

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.