Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Spin-offs and One-Year Wonders

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Is Alice Next in Line for a Reboot?; CBS Gives Full Season to Three New Series
Fri-Yay: New Sitcoms - What's Working and What's Not?; Brockmire Season 3 Brings Out the Stars
ABC Picks Up Single Parents for Full Year; Netflix Gets Tia Mowry and Loretta Devine Sitcom
Showtime Comedy Gets More Stars; Netflix Orders New Comedy from Novel Writer
NBC Sets January 2019 Lineup; Team Coco Heads to New York Comedy Festival
ABC Fall Pilot Review: The Kids Are Alright - Premieres Tuesday (Oct. 16); FX Gets New Comedy for 2020
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 15, 2018)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October)

The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season Step by Step - The Complete Second Season Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season

09/04 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season 12
09/04 - Mom - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Superstore - Season Three
09/04 - Young Sheldon - The Complete First Season
09/11 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
09/11 - The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - People of Earth - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - Community - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
09/18 - Step by Step - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fourth Season
09/25 - Blondie - The Complete 1957 Television Series
09/25 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season
10/02 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season
10/02 - The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One / Volume Two
10/02 - Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection
10/16 - Police Squad! - TV and Movie Collection
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-17-2018, 12:26 AM   #1
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Default Here are the most notorious failed spinoffs based on characters from hit shows

https://tv.avclub.com/solo-a-cancele...-ch-1826054983

Friends spinoff Joey, Party of Five spinoff Time of Your Life and Columbo spinoff Mrs. Columbo are among the failed spinoffs developed from hit show characters.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:08 PM   #2
king of comedy

2 I saw with regrets. The Tortellies and The lone Gunmen. Pebbles and Bam Bam wasn't bad. The others I didn't see and I was glad I didn't.
king of comedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 02:19 PM   #3
Duster76
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
https://tv.avclub.com/solo-a-cancele...-ch-1826054983

Friends spinoff Joey, Party of Five spinoff Time of Your Life and Columbo spinoff Mrs. Columbo are among the failed spinoffs developed from hit show characters.
You mentioned Mrs. Columbo, and the link to your post accurately describes this train wreck, unquestionably this series is the worst spin off of all time. Nothing even comes close. Two completely different ideas colliding, let's do a series with a star on the rise, 23 year old Kate Mulgrew; let's get some additional mileage from the Columbo series by spinning off Mrs. Columbo. What drugs must have been ingested, or booze consumed in the conference room where these two ideas came together. It's Herve Villechaize cast as Abe Lincoln, it's Don Knotts cast as James Bond, it's Selma Diamond cast as Marilyn Monroe, it's something out of Mad Magazine.
Duster76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:33 PM   #4
Coffeecup
coffeecup.

I did see Mrs Columbo and thought the show was pretty good. But having it linked to Peter Falk Columbo, it lost something. The whole thing about Columbo was the gimmick of NOT showing his wife. The series did changed name? Mrs Callahan something like that. Mrs Callahan might have done better but the image of Mrs Columbo was already there.
Coffeecup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:04 AM   #5
Edward216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeecup View Post
I did see Mrs Columbo and thought the show was pretty good. But having it linked to Peter Falk Columbo, it lost something. The whole thing about Columbo was the gimmick of NOT showing his wife. The series did changed name? Mrs Callahan something like that. Mrs Callahan might have done better but the image of Mrs Columbo was already there.

You're close but not quite. The show was struggling so they retooled it some. They had Kate and Columbo get divorced, she went back to her maiden name (which was Callahan), and the show was renamed Kate Loves A Mystery. But it didn't help, the ratings were still bad so it got cancelled.

Ed.
Edward216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:09 PM   #6
Coffeecup
coffeecup.

You are good Ed, it did have name changes and it did struggle and puttered along. But I did kind of liked it.
Coffeecup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:27 PM   #7
Mr. Television
15 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend

Kate Mulgrew talks about Mrs. Columbo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxaHAkRpzxw
Old 07-06-2018, 02:17 AM   #8
Edward216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeecup View Post
You are good Ed, it did have name changes and it did struggle and puttered along. But I did kind of liked it.
Thanks. But I only know that fact because it's mentioned in a book I've got called The Uncle John's Bathroom Reader Tunes In To TV. LOL. I was a young kid when the Columbo spinoff would've been on and I'm pretty sure it's not something my family would've watched anyways.

Ed.
Edward216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:36 PM   #9
mets82

I never saw any of them.

Please check out my blog. I vent on all things. TV, sports etc. you name it. Its also a work in progress. Check out and see what you think.
mets82 is offline   Reply With Quote