Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board


Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Spin-offs and One-Year Wonders

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Netflix's Atypical Returns Sept. 7; GSN Brings Back John Michael Higgins Game Show
Antenna TV's Alice Labor Day Marathon; NBC App Adds Saved by the Bell and Heroes
Fresh off the Boat Launches Sept. 1 on UPtv; New Sabrina Begins Oct. 26 on Netflix
Netflix Gets Paul Rudd Comedy from IFC; Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj Coming to Netflix
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 13, 2018)
SitcomOnline Digest: Discussions Underway for New Seasons of The Big Bang Theory and Modern Family; Trial & Error Looking for Home for Third Season
Fri-Yay: Orange Is the New Black Season 6: A Tightrope Between Comedy and Drama; King of the Hill Labor Day Marathon on Comedy Central
Antenna TV's Coach Back-to-Football Bowl; Nick Drama Returns for Season 2 in September


New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July/August)

Alice - The Complete Seventh Season Green Acres - The Final (Sixth) Season The Last Man on Earth - The Complete Fourth Season The Good Place - The Complete Second Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Five

06/05 - Living Single - The Complete Fifth Season
06/05 - New Girl - The Complete Sixth Season
06/05 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-First Season (Blu-ray)
06/12 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fourth Season
06/12 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Third Season
06/12 - The Office - The Complete Series
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete Second Season
06/12 - Step by Step - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season One (Blu-ray)
06/19 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fourth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Fifth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Sixth Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete First Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete Second Season
07/03 - New Girl - The Final (Seventh) Season
07/10 - Alice - The Complete Seventh Season (WBShop.com)
07/10 - The Bill Engvall Show - The Complete First Season (WBShop.com)
07/10 - Green Acres - The Final (Sixth) Season
07/10 - The Last Man on Earth - The Complete Fourth Season
07/17 - Cooper Barrett's Guide to Surviving Life - The Complete Series
07/17 - The Good Place - The Complete Second Season
07/17 - Son of Zorn - The Complete Series
08/07 - Happy Endings - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
08/28 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Five
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-06-2013, 03:10 AM   #1
ARL123
ARL123
Frequent Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 12, 2013
Location: Chatham, NJ
Posts: 95
Default Questions - "Bridget Loves Bernie"

While reading posts this evening I have learned that "Bridget Loves Bernie" was the highest rated show ever to get cancelled. Does anybody know exactly why it was cancelled, it was the 5th highest rated show during the 1972 TV season.

The two reasons that I have read are:

1. Protests from Religious Groups - In those days interrelitious marriage would have been a very controversial topic.

2. The show wasn't really that good. - Perhaps it rated well out of curiosity or because it was shown in between "All in the Family" and "Mary Tyler Moore".

Does anybody know what exactly happned to this show? Also, for those of you who ever saw it, I never did, do you think it would have lasted a few seasons? I'm just wondering if it did well due to it's subject matter rather than the quality of the show's episodes?
ARL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:32 AM   #2
Mr. Television
15 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend
 
Mr. Television's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 06, 2003
Location: Were you're not
Posts: 60,861
Default

Considering that The Mary Tyler Moore Show was ranked lower than it, I think it was the religious aspect that got it canceled. Both MASH and Maude were ranked 4th after AITF and they stayed on the air. That was only one spot above BLB. Funny Face was ranked 8th after AITF during the 1971-72 season. Although the show was canceled, it was because of Sandy Duncan's eye surgery. The show was then retooled and brought back the following year as The Sandy Duncan Show. The one show that did flop after AITF was Paul Sand in Friends and Lovers. It was ranked at #25 during the 1974-75 season and was canceled in mid-season. All in the Family really fell in 1976-77. It went from #1 to #12. The show that followed it was a little show called Alice. It was ranked all the way down at #30. It was given time to grow and eventually became a top 10 hit so CBS was patient with it.
__________________
Sonny
Mr. Television is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
loaferman
Member
Forum Regular
 
loaferman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 23, 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 565
Default

Here is a good article that explains it:
http://thiswastv.com/2012/09/25/1970...-loves-bernie/

Wikipedia claims it was controversial but I don't recall that. The article does refer to Jewish people not liking it. But the behind the scenes stuff seems far more likely. They wanted to re-tool the show and the network did not like the idea, plus Birney reportedly thought he was too good for TV and probably created some drama for the producers.
__________________
“It was ‘Will and Grace,’ it was the social media. Literally. That’s what changed peoples’ attitudes. That’s why I was so certain that the vast majority of people would embrace and rapidly embrace” gay marriage, Biden said.

“Think behind of all that, I bet you 85 percent of those changes, whether it’s in Hollywood or social media are a consequence of Jewish leaders in the industry. The influence is immense, the influence is immense."
-Vice President Joe Biden May 2013
loaferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
bencasey
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 29, 2001
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 1,528
Default

Me and every one of my Jewish friends loved it and that was the problem. Jewish groups were up in arms over the fact that it made interfaith marriage so appealing. Every Jewish guy I know dreamed about being Bernie and finding a rich, blonde, gorgeous Catholic girl like Meredith Baxter. CBS received a lot of pressure about the show and if you watch some of the later episodes, the religious aspects of the show start to get toned down a good deal. Whatever bull**** reason CBS gave is false. It was due to pressure from the religious groups.
bencasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:55 PM   #5
treky
star trek fan
Forum Veteran
 
treky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 25, 2002
Location: Conshohocken, pennsylvania
Posts: 12,809
Default

that's right; it was due to pressere from religious groups. I'm 55 and still remember hearing all the controversy surrounding it.

As for the show itself, I haven't seen it in30 years since it first aired, but as I recall it was pretty good and could have lasted a few years.
__________________
the Clampetts are in a fancy Beverly Hills jewelry store.

Granny: "How much fer one o' them red diamonds?"
clerk: "Madam, those are rubies."
Granny: "OK ask her kin we buy one offa her."
clerk: " The ruby I am talking about is not a lady."
Granny: "Lissen, how she got them diamonds is her business. I'm just sayin' ask her kin we buy one from her."
treky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:06 AM   #6
dakert
Member
Senior Member
 
dakert's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 10, 2007
Location: altoona PA
Posts: 2,576
Default

Hey treky its been "40 years" since the show aired I have the show on DVD and wish it had gone on for a few more years. It was a cute show!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by treky
that's right; it was due to pressere from religious groups. I'm 55 and still remember hearing all the controversy surrounding it.

As for the show itself, I haven't seen it in30 years since it first aired, but as I recall it was pretty good and could have lasted a few years.
dakert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #7
ARL123
ARL123
Frequent Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 12, 2013
Location: Chatham, NJ
Posts: 95
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakert
Hey treky its been "40 years" since the show aired I have the show on DVD and wish it had gone on for a few more years. It was a cute show!!
After reading about this series on several sites, this is my hypothesis for why the show was cancelled:

1. Religious Protests - Not only was intermarraige a controversial issue back then, but CBS didn't seem to be prepared for the controversy it generated.

2. General Presentation - "All in the Family" another controversial show was much better written and the network and it's producers were ready for the reaction it might get from the general public. The show was not as funny as "All in the Family" either, which has been named as one of the best written shows ever.

3. From what I have read CBS, nor the producers audience tested the show, which from my research was not as popular back then. The testing would have given the network and creators an idea of what to expect.

4. Ratings - Yes, the ratings were very high. However, it could not fail going between "All in the Family" and "Mary Tyler Moore". I also would think that people tuned in out of curiosity and once that curiosity died the show would die as well.

These are just some of my thoughts after doing some reseach on it.
ARL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #8
installLSC
Member
Frequent Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 19, 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 242
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loaferman
They wanted to re-tool the show and the network did not like the idea, plus Birney reportedly thought he was too good for TV and probably created some drama for the producers.
Birney probably had a lot to do with it. I read a TV Guide story about Birney from 1976, and said he'd earned a "difficult" reputation in the industry. Basically if the script wasn't Shakespeare he would rip the script both behind the scenes and in interviews.
installLSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:29 AM   #9
bencasey
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 29, 2001
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 1,528
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARL123
After reading about this series on several sites, this is my hypothesis for why the show was cancelled:

1. Religious Protests - Not only was intermarraige a controversial issue back then, but CBS didn't seem to be prepared for the controversy it generated.

2. General Presentation - "All in the Family" another controversial show was much better written and the network and it's producers were ready for the reaction it might get from the general public. The show was not as funny as "All in the Family" either, which has been named as one of the best written shows ever.

3. From what I have read CBS, nor the producers audience tested the show, which from my research was not as popular back then. The testing would have given the network and creators an idea of what to expect.

4. Ratings - Yes, the ratings were very high. However, it could not fail going between "All in the Family" and "Mary Tyler Moore". I also would think that people tuned in out of curiosity and once that curiosity died the show would die as well.

These are just some of my thoughts after doing some reseach on it.
Reason number one was the one and only reason. The other 3 things are a bunch of hooey. The show wasn't meant to be nor trying to be All In The Family and was not in the least bit intended to be controversial. Comparing the two shows is asinine. BLB was a typical cute Screen Gems young couples comedy, which if you were around then you would know instead of coming to the table 40 years later. They had gotten too much crap from religious groups and that's the sole reason. Everything else you said, you're just talking out of your ass.
bencasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #10
ARL123
ARL123
Frequent Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 12, 2013
Location: Chatham, NJ
Posts: 95
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencasey
Reason number one was the one and only reason. The other 3 things are a bunch of hooey. The show wasn't meant to be nor trying to be All In The Family and was not in the least bit intended to be controversial. Comparing the two shows is asinine. BLB was a typical cute Screen Gems young couples comedy, which if you were around then you would know instead of coming to the table 40 years later. They had gotten too much crap from religious groups and that's the sole reason. Everything else you said, you're just talking out of your ass.
Reaon number one was the major reason for the cancelation, however, all the others had something to do with it from what I have read online regarding "Bridget Loves Bernie". You might be right that it was meant to be a cute Screen Gems comedy, however, enough people saw the topic of religious intermarrage seriously enough that it became a controversial show. Remember, this was 40 years ago, not today where people accept the concept more openly.
ARL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #11
bencasey
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 29, 2001
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 1,528
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARL123
Reaon number one was the major reason for the cancelation, however, all the others had something to do with it from what I have read online regarding "Bridget Loves Bernie". You might be right that it was meant to be a cute Screen Gems comedy, however, enough people saw the topic of religious intermarrage seriously enough that it became a controversial show. Remember, this was 40 years ago, not today where people accept the concept more openly.
What you "read online". That's your source of information? I was alive and a big fan of the show so I think I know more about it than your third generation sources of information.
bencasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:55 PM   #12
ARL123
ARL123
Frequent Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 12, 2013
Location: Chatham, NJ
Posts: 95
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencasey
What you "read online". That's your source of information? I was alive and a big fan of the show so I think I know more about it than your third generation sources of information.
Besides your sarcastic tone, I was alive at that time too....maybe a bit younger than you.....but I remember when the show was on the air.
ARL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #13
loaferman
Member
Forum Regular
 
loaferman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 23, 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 565
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencasey
What you "read online". That's your source of information? I was alive and a big fan of the show so I think I know more about it than your third generation sources of information.
I was alive then too and saw the show. I apparently did not have inside sources at CBS in the 70's. I have read interviews with people who were in the know and there were multiple problems but as stated a very powerful minority especially in the entertainment industry (and I have sources) were offended and once they were heard nothing was going to save that show.
loaferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:59 PM   #14
bencasey
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 29, 2001
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 1,528
Default

Regardless, reasons 2, 3 and 4 are bull****.
bencasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 04:36 PM   #15
omg65
Member
Forum Regular
 
omg65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 05, 2006
Location: hilliard oh
Posts: 257
Default

Big Bump !

Decades will be airing this show on their Weekend Binge 6/23 and 6/24
omg65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:14 PM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

VigLink badge

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.