Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Leave it to Beaver Online / Leave it to Beaver links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Leave it to Beaver Photo Gallery

Leave it to Beaver - The Complete First Season

Buy Leave it to Beaver - The Complete First Season on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - The Complete First Season (Limited Edition Gift Set)

Buy Leave it to Beaver - The Complete First Season (Limited Edition Gift Set with Cleaver Family Photo Album) on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Second Season

Buy Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - Season Three

Buy Leave it to Beaver - Season Three on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - Season Four

Buy Leave it to Beaver - Season Four on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - Season Five

Buy Leave it to Beaver - Season Five on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - Season Six

Buy Leave it to Beaver - Season Six on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series

Buy Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1950s Sitcoms > Leave it to Beaver

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: One Day at a Time Is As Charming As Ever in Its 3rd Season; Bounce Acquires Moesha and The Game
HGTV Looking for Brady Fans for A Very Brady Renovation; truTV Sets Date for Tacoma FD Comedy
TBS Gets Nasim Pedrad Comedy; Lucy Liu to Star in Marc Cherry Dark Comedy on CBS All Access
Antenna TV Hears Wedding Bells on Valentine's Day; Comedy Central Gets David Spade Late Night Talk Show
Hallmark Channel Highlights at TCA Winter 2019 Press Tour; HBO's New Comedy Los Espookys and Final Season of Veep
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of February 11, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: ABC Orders Pair of Comedy Pilots; NBC Cancels Hair Musical
Fri-Yay: Modern Family Announces Next Season Will Be Its Last; The Kominsky Method Gets Three Veterans for Season 2

New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February)

Fuller House - The Complete Third Season The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Fourth Season The Game - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fourth Season What I Like About You - The Complete Fourth Season

01/08 - Family Guy - 20 Greatest Hits
01/22 - Fuller House - The Complete Third Season
01/22 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Fourth Season (WBShop.com)
01/29 - Ballers - The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
01/29 - Crashing - The Complete Second Season
01/29 - The Game - The Complete Series
01/29 - Kidding - Season One
02/05 - Family Guy - Part 1 - Volumes 1-5
02/05 - Family Guy - Part 2 - Volumes 6-10
02/05 - Family Guy - Part 3 - Seasons 10-14
02/05 - First Lady of Television - Betty White Collection (40 rare and acclaimed episodes from her early days in television)
02/05 - Mama's Family - Seasons 1-6 - The Complete Series
02/12 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-3 (Blu-ray)
02/12 - Step by Step - The Complete Fourth Season
02/26 - What I Like About You - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-22-2019, 12:12 PM   #1
Scrabjan1

Default Fourth Season

I feel the 4th season of Beaver wasnít one of the best. The writing was rather mediocre and the plots left much to be desired. The one with Jackie Waters and Beaverís Tonsils were almost like the writers were on vacation. I did like Beaverís Poster. The Jackie Waters episode wasnít believable to me. Two boys would find something in common like sports, TV shows and hobbies. Kids can always find things to do. Play monopoly or Parcheesi. Get some comic books and talk about the movies youíve seen. Iím sure going to Vampire Valley would be fun too. They initially liked each other so play games in your age group.
Scrabjan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 03:28 PM   #2
stevea

If Beaver was short on comic books, he could always go see Lumpy (but call him Clarence).

I agree, and the writing in this season showed up several of the inconsistencies. Like the reference to Gilbert as Mr. Harrison first showed up in this season. I was also going to mention the reference to Mrs. Bronson as a sitter, but that may be season 5.

I don't consider any Beaver episode unwatchable, but Jackie Waters, Chuckie's Shoes, and the tonsils episode come close. (In that tonsils episode--IMO I don't care how much you build up the positives of getting an operation, no kid is gonna run upstairs crying if the doctor says, hey, you don't have to have them taken out. And what with these house calls? In the 60s doctors didn't make house calls! Gee, they even had a house-calling veterinarian for Stanley!)
stevea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 04:44 PM   #3
MichaelMartinD
Frequent Poster

I think Season Four was a cut above Season 5 (probably the weakest season overall). Season 4 had Beaver's House Guest and In the Soup, both classic episodes.
MichaelMartinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:01 PM   #4
stevea

You have a point--these 2 seasons are about a wash, but the classic episodes push season 4 ahead. I'd add Beaver Won't Eat as a classic episode. I think mostly everyone knows the Brussels Sprouts episode.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:08 AM   #5
Scrabjan1

I think I was right. Mother’s Helper and The Dramatic Club were both a couple of duds. That unwatchable scene when Wally drinks water in the kitchen just to visit with Margie was inane. June acted like an airhead throughout. Hey in Beaver’s Play if June was captain of her basketball team in boarding school why not tell Beaver when he wrote his composition about mothers. It would have been more interesting than being a dental nurse.

Did you notice in Mother’s Helper Margie is using a sponge mop and when Wally comes in you see the mop and it’s a string mop.

Last edited by Scrabjan1; 01-23-2019 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:11 AM   #6
stevea

Funny you should mention the Candy Moore episode. Once that came on, I thought (with my bad episodes mentioned), oops, forgot that one.

Yeah, the basketball thing is a bit more interesting than getting fired for not keeping the books straight.

A couple of more thoughts on the Jackie Waters episode:

One funny set of lines:

Wally: Is he the one with the teeth?

Beaver: Most o' my friends got teeth.

Also, with all those different theaters Ward was mentioning (none of which were mentioned in the earlier Pinocchio episode), I was thinking, along with pet stores and drug stores, Mayfield sure has a lot of theaters.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:32 PM   #7
Scrabjan1

I think this time they mentioned the Orpheum where Wayward Girls Come to Town. I missed the theater where Vampire Valley was playing. They also had Globe, Valencia, Mayfield Theater, Olympic and Madison in Boxoffice Attraction.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:06 PM   #8
stevea

I also remember one called the Bose-Arts. Maybe that was where Kong-Gorilla was. Beaver says Ward would have really liked that one. It had more blood than any pitcher he'd ever seen.