Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms Questions and Discussion

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

The Dick Van Dyke Show and I Love Lucy in Color on Dec. 14; The CW Sets January 2019 Premiere Dates
getTV 2018 Holiday Marathons Schedule; truTV Comedy Returns for 3rd Season
Freeform and ABC's 2018 25 Days of Christmas Schedule; The CW Orders Full Seasons of All Freshman Series
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 12, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Vanessa Bayer Set to Co-Create and Star in Showtime Comedy; Orange is the New Black Sequel in Discussions
Fri-Yay: When Is It Time to Stop Looking at Live Ratings?; NBC Sets and Shifts January 2019 Lineup
COZI TV's Unexpected Guests Thanksgiving Marathon; ABC Tuesday Comedies Get Full Seasons

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)

The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection Alice - The Complete Eighth Season Step by Step - The Complete Third Season

10/02 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 6th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 7th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 8th Season
10/02 - Ghosted - The Complete First Season
10/02 - The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One / Volume Two
10/02 - Police Squad! - TV and Movie Collection
10/02 - Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection
10/16 - Community - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/23 - Alice - The Complete Eighth Season
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Two
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Three
10/31 - The Bad News Bears - The Complete Series - All 26 Episodes
11/01 - Episodes - Season 5
11/05 - Robin Williams - Comic Genius (includes Mork & Mindy)
11/06 - American Dad! - Volume 13
11/20 - Step by Step - The Complete Third Season
11/27 - What I Like About You - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-11-2018, 09:16 PM   #1
Frank Gannucci

Default Did your cable system ever get these superstations?

...before the FCC made the Sydnex Rule which caused cable systems to black out shows on those stations that could be seen on your local channels?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syndication_exclusivity

Basically, the stations I am referring to are WWOR-Tv from NYC, WGN from Chicago and WSBK from Boston.

When I lived in Bergen County, NJ, my candle system (the future Altice USA of Northern, NJ) had WSBK until 1988. I remember it got replaced with the just debuted at the time, TNT. (On a side note, hard to believe that that network just celebrated 30 years on the air). My sister was upset because she liked on their shows and didn't understand for a time why she couldn't watch it. Shortly thereafter, WSBK was started to be dropped from cable systems in the USA outside of New England. As late as 1993, I remember reading from my newspaper TV Guide that one of the cable systems in my area (can't remember which one) was the lone holdout as they still carried WSBK (blackouts and all.)

I was told that this system had the national feed of WGN but I never saw it. It wasn't until 2014 that this cable system finally carried the national feed of WGN (aka WGN America). So if this system dropped the national feed of WGN, it was a whopping 24 plus years before they brought it back. By the time they did, WGN America had long since started having no programs that needed blacking out. The only things that were simulcasted were local sports and news. Now no shows (except for the McDonalds Thanksgivign Parade) are simulcasted on both stations.

This system never carried the now defunct national feed of WWOR because it carried the local feed.

I moved down to southwest Florida in 2006 and my cable provider (Comcast) has carried WGN America ever since I have been down here. I am wondering if this provider (.back when it was owned by a different company) carried the now defunct national feed of WWOR. It would be ironic for me at least if it did.
Frank Gannucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:08 AM   #2
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever

In the 1980s, our local cable company carried WGN in Chicago, WTBS in Atlanta, and (I'm pretty sure) WTTV in Indianapolis and KMSP-TV in Minneapolis.

In the late 1990s, Dish Network carried WGN, KTLA in Los Angeles, WPIX in New York, and the network affiliates in NYC and Los Angeles.
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:28 AM   #3
MikaelaArsenault
Susan Lucci & Taran Noah Smith
Forum Veteran

I have WSBK in New Hampshire.

And many others too.

"Ciao, baby!" - John Larroquette as Dan Fielding

Goodnight, sweet prince. Harry Anderson 1952-2018

Errrrrrruuuuuuuuahhh?? - Tim Allen
MikaelaArsenault is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:07 PM   #4
Mr. Television
15 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend

We used to have WGN TV in Chicago in the 80's. Great channel then.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:04 PM   #5
Regulus

TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Television View Post
We used to have WGN TV in Chicago in the 80's. Great channel then.
In Redford, Mi. we had WTBS, WOR and WGN in the 1980s. Since it's been nearly 18 years since I moved to Florida I have no idea what they carry today, but I'm pretty certain they probably have fewer customers today than in 2000. In the past three months 750,000 households have cancelled Pay TV across the fruited plain. Cheaper alternatives exist, with NO blackouts to contend with. As for me I watch whatever I want to watch when I want to, and no one tells me I can't watch something because a local station has "rights" to it. : An added bonus, No commercials!

Bucket List Shows: Hot Wheels, Skyhawks, Run Joe Run, Westwood
Regulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:58 PM   #6
stevea

Here in Indy we got WGN. For years it was the local Chicago feed, with the Cubs games and their local Chicago news.
stevea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:02 PM   #7
Sal

Today I get all the standard superstations (WGN, WPIX, WSBK, and KTLA) plus the 4 main networks from both Buffalo and Seattle but in my area I get PeachTree TV in Atlanta instead of TBS. TBS used to be offered in Canada in the 1980s when they used to have good shows on like "The Brady Bunch", "Andy Griffith", "The Beverly Hillbillies", "Gilligan's Island", "Bewitched", and "Gomer Pyle", yet sometime during the early 1990s, TBS left for good to be replaced by PeachTree and I can never figure out why that is. I have a very sneaky suspicion that it was because Ted Turner's babies, the Atlanta Braves, were beaten in the 1992 World Series by the Toronto Blue Jays, and Billionaire Ted couldn't let it go, but that reason was never confirmed or denied. I honestly don't see much difference between the 2 stations since PeachTree tends to offer the same types of programs as TBS except that we are spared from watching the Braves every day, so maybe Turner made the right call after all.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:04 PM   #8
bgva
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus View Post
As for me I watch whatever I want to watch when I want to, and no one tells me I can't watch something because a local station has "rights" to it. : An added bonus, No commercials!
We know.

I think my area had just about all the superstations: WDCA out of DC, WGN, (W)WOR, and (W)TBS. IIRC, WGN is the only one that remains on our local cable system.
bgva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:29 PM   #9
catsrule
Cat-tastic and Whiskerlicious
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
I honestly don't see much difference between the 2 stations since PeachTree tends to offer the same types of programs as TBS except that we are spared from watching the Braves every day, so maybe Turner made the right call after all.
I don't think TBS airs Braves baseball nationwide anymore, just some playoff rounds.
FRASIER: As usual Frasier has to save the day.
MARTIN: As usual Martin has to hear about it.
Is Christ the cornerstone of your life? If not, he should be.

catsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:44 PM   #10
opus
VB
Forum Veteran

Location: New York; but ideally Apt. 402 in Indy (for 8 years)

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsrule View Post
I don't think TBS airs Braves baseball nationwide anymore, just some playoff rounds.
TBS definitely doesn't carry the Braves anymore. They have some playoff games as you mentioned, and during the regular season they have a package of Sunday afternoon games.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:30 PM   #11
Tubehead

we also had wgn!! then we got upn now know as cw!!
Tubehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:50 PM   #12
Alan Brady's Hair

WWOR and WGN were on in Western Pennsylvania, along with WUAB out of Cleveland.
Alan Brady's Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:10 AM   #13
factsoflife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Gannucci View Post
...before the FCC made the Sydnex Rule which caused cable systems to black out shows on those stations that could be seen on your local channels?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syndication_exclusivity

Basically, the stations I am referring to are WWOR-Tv from NYC, WGN from Chicago and WSBK from Boston.

When I lived in Bergen County, NJ, my candle system (the future Altice USA of Northern, NJ) had WSBK until 1988. I remember it got replaced with the just debuted at the time, TNT. (On a side note, hard to believe that that network just celebrated 30 years on the air). My sister was upset because she liked on their shows and didn't understand for a time why she couldn't watch it. Shortly thereafter, WSBK was started to be dropped from cable systems in the USA outside of New England. As late as 1993, I remember reading from my newspaper TV Guide that one of the cable systems in my area (can't remember which one) was the lone holdout as they still carried WSBK (blackouts and all.)

I was told that this system had the national feed of WGN but I never saw it. It wasn't until 2014 that this cable system finally carried the national feed of WGN (aka WGN America). So if this system dropped the national feed of WGN, it was a whopping 24 plus years before they brought it back. By the time they did, WGN America had long since started having no programs that needed blacking out. The only things that were simulcasted were local sports and news. Now no shows (except for the McDonalds Thanksgivign Parade) are simulcasted on both stations.

This system never carried the now defunct national feed of WWOR because it carried the local feed.

I moved down to southwest Florida in 2006 and my cable provider (Comcast) has carried WGN America ever since I have been down here. I am wondering if this provider (.back when it was owned by a different company) carried the now defunct national feed of WWOR. It would be ironic for me at least if it did.

Yes, in Rhode Island we got WSBK and WLVI from Boston, WPIX from New York and WGN from Chicago. I was pretty sad when the Syndex Rules began blocking out these stations because they were near and dear to my heart; especially WSBK and WLVI from Boston.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:40 AM   #14
MrCleveland
Drew Carey from Hell
Forum Veteran

I got WTBS and WGN, I never got WWOR.

Cleveland almost had a superstation...WUAB. But now that station is just an infomercial station.

If Superstations had a comeback in multiples cities, I can see Cleveland's CW Affiliate WBNX make a Superstation.

Lee Hazlewood (1929-2007)
MrCleveland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:32 AM   #15
installLSC
Frequent Poster

Lived in eastern Washington state. My hometown had WGN, WWOR, and KSTW (Seattle station). All three were local feeds, at least until we dropped cable in 1992. By the time I went to college in Spokane in 1994, the local system only had KSTW--and it got blocked out so often there was barely any point in airing it. Interestingly, both systems also carried CBC (Canadian TV) affiliates.
installLSC is offline   Reply With Quote