Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Spin-offs and One-Year Wonders

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Netflix Gets 2 More Comedies; YouTube Orders Wayne, a New Comedy
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 24, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Netflix Orders Multi-Camera Sitcom with Melissa Joan Hart and Sean Astin; Three New Seasons of Bob's Burgers on DVD
Fri-Yay: BoJack Horseman is as Delightfully Sad as Ever in Season 5; The Guest Book Returns Oct. 23 on TBS with More Guests
The Goldbergs Coming to TV Land; grown-ish Returns in January on Freeform
South Park 8 Day Marathon on Comedy Central; Classic Adult Swim Comedy Returns with Special
NBC Fall Pilot Review: I Feel Bad - Premieres Wednesday (Sept. 19); 70th Annual Primetime Emmy Award Winners
Married with Children Now on WGN America; black-ish Enters National Syndication and Free Sneakers Contest

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September)

The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season Step by Step - The Complete Second Season Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season

08/07 - Happy Endings - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
08/15 - A.P. Bio - Season One
08/28 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Five
08/28 - Man Seeking Woman - The Complete Third Season
09/04 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season 12
09/04 - Mom - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Superstore - Season Three
09/04 - Young Sheldon - The Complete First Season
09/11 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
09/11 - The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - People of Earth - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - Community - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
09/18 - Step by Step - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fourth Season
09/25 - Blondie - The Complete 1957 Television Series
09/25 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-30-2018, 12:42 PM   #1
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Default Carol Burnett blames ABC network meddling for killing off her Amy Poehler-produced si

...tcom pilot

http://deadline.com/2018/04/carol-bu...ng-1202379040/

“The pilot was very funny and the audience and everyone seemed to think “whee!,”” Burnett told the New York Post of her pilot, titled Household Name. “Then the network wanted to recast a couple of main parts … and wanted (creator) Michael Saltzman to add extra stuff they thought was funny — more of the family stuff and less of the oddball situation we were in.”
TMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:00 AM   #2
Yong Fang

Hate to tell everyone, but Carol Burnett is 85 years old. Which show wants to bank an 85 year old woman to the grind of a weekly television series? How much would the insurance be on an 85 year old woman? Cloris Leachman did "Raising Hope" probably in her late 70's, early 80's, but she was also a side character and not a lead.

She is also really from another era, basically the late 1960's to the 1970's was her heyday. She has always worked doing something since, but really for people under 50, I doubt many would know who she is. I could see another "Life with Lucy" with an ancient Lucille Ball trying to do another show in the late 1980's. Problem was that Lucy was old fashioned by the end of her last show in 1974. The show really wasn't good and it bombed, and Lucy spent the rest of her short life depressed thinking her audience forgot her (well, most died and moved to the home).

The only ones who would watch Carol Burnett in a show now would be some old Baby Boomer like people, and they will lose interest quickly after learning that Harvey Koreman was dead and Tim Conway is asleep.

Carol needs to go back to her mansion, watch Dr. Phil, burn a roast and be in bed at 10:00.
Yong Fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:55 PM   #3
WilliamHBonney
Frequent Poster

Cloris Leachman was actually *84-88 during the run of Raising Hope and Betty White was *88-93 while the lead of Hot In Cleveland and in White's case they filmed 128 episodes over that period. *Depending on the actual date of filming you might be able to subtract a year.
WilliamHBonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:07 PM   #4
SitcomsHeydayfan
Frequent Poster

Was Carol Burnett actually going to act in "Household Name" or just create/produce it?
SitcomsHeydayfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:24 PM   #5
rcbrad
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yong Fang
Hate to tell everyone, but Carol Burnett is 85 years old. Which show wants to bank an 85 year old woman to the grind of a weekly television series? How much would the insurance be on an 85 year old woman? Cloris Leachman did "Raising Hope" probably in her late 70's, early 80's, but she was also a side character and not a lead.

She is also really from another era, basically the late 1960's to the 1970's was her heyday. She has always worked doing something since, but really for people under 50, I doubt many would know who she is. I could see another "Life with Lucy" with an ancient Lucille Ball trying to do another show in the late 1980's. Problem was that Lucy was old fashioned by the end of her last show in 1974. The show really wasn't good and it bombed, and Lucy spent the rest of her short life depressed thinking her audience forgot her (well, most died and moved to the home).

The only ones who would watch Carol Burnett in a show now would be some old Baby Boomer like people, and they will lose interest quickly after learning that Harvey Koreman was dead and Tim Conway is asleep.

Carol needs to go back to her mansion, watch Dr. Phil, burn a roast and be in bed at 10:00.
WOW Sounds kind of harsh and mean spirited, especially the last sentence. You rarely (if ever) hear anyone talk that way about Carol. She is a legend and an icon. (regardless of your age)

Just remember, one day you will be an old Millennial like person.
rcbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:26 AM   #6
Yong Fang

True, never really liked Carol Burnett. As far as I am concerned, Tim Conway and Harvey Korman were the stars.

I do stand by that she is 85 years old. My father is her age and has been very active all of his life, but now sticks around the house and sleeps a lot. Because he is 85 years old.

Her heyday was the late 1960's to the late 1970's. She tried to revive her show on another network in the 1990's and failed. This is why I brought up Lucy. She was very rich, but missed her audience. Problem is that most of her audience were older people. I am now 51 and remembered watching her show as a grade school child, which actually premiered the year of my birth. So any fans of hers are way way past the target demographic of any network outside of FOX News.

The story sounds stupid, a young couple buys a house, but the geriatric ancient actress gets to live there to cause trouble, or something. The show doesn't sound too great to begin with. But, Let's say for argument the show would be a hit, are you going to bank on an 85 year old to carry a show for five plus years until she is in her 90's?

Her best friend Jim Nabors rode out into the sunset with his spouse in the Hawaiian sunshine picking macadamia nuts. Ken Berry has long retired, Tim Comway too. There is just a time to hang it up, and prepare for eternity.
Yong Fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:20 AM   #7
Edward216

Madderest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yong Fang View Post
True, never really liked Carol Burnett. As far as I am concerned, Tim Conway and Harvey Korman were the stars.

I do stand by that she is 85 years old. My father is her age and has been very active all of his life, but now sticks around the house and sleeps a lot. Because he is 85 years old.

Her heyday was the late 1960's to the late 1970's. She tried to revive her show on another network in the 1990's and failed. This is why I brought up Lucy. She was very rich, but missed her audience. Problem is that most of her audience were older people. I am now 51 and remembered watching her show as a grade school child, which actually premiered the year of my birth. So any fans of hers are way way past the target demographic of any network outside of FOX News.

The story sounds stupid, a young couple buys a house, but the geriatric ancient actress gets to live there to cause trouble, or something. The show doesn't sound too great to begin with. But, Let's say for argument the show would be a hit, are you going to bank on an 85 year old to carry a show for five plus years until she is in her 90's?

Her best friend Jim Nabors rode out into the sunset with his spouse in the Hawaiian sunshine picking macadamia nuts. Ken Berry has long retired, Tim Comway too. There is just a time to hang it up, and prepare for eternity.
I'm only 49 and I know who Carol Burnett is and I'm a big fan of hers. My family watched The Carol Burnett Show all the time when I was growing up. She's talented and hilarious. And you're just a big jerk by the way.

Ed.
Edward216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 02:40 AM   #8
jimpickens
Forum Regular

Would love to find a way to extend life expectancy and the proverbial fountain of youth because it would be a hoot to see how these millennials handle life past 40.
jimpickens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:33 PM   #9
Videoranger007
Forum Regular

The plot to this literally sounds like one of the worst sitcoms of modern times. Im in my late 30s and I know who Carol Burnett is, use to watch reruns of her show as a kid and was never really all that impressed. I agree with the majority of what Yong Fang has stated.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:04 PM   #10
Coffeecup
coffeecup.

Yong Fang that is a bit harsh. As for saying no one under 50 knows her, I hardly know anyone under 40 that acts. We all can get to know actors. I say give her a try. Sure the show may flop. Betty White did great in Hot in Cleveland. Was Carol going to be another Angela Lansbury in every scene or a supporting role. I tend to think a supporting role. Carol should have shopped for another network say Tvland like Betty's production company did.
Coffeecup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:02 PM   #11
Mr. Television
15 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend

Carol Burnett is a legend. Nobody on TV comes close to her.