Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Spin-offs and One-Year Wonders

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Rugrats Revived on Nickelodeon; Vanilla Ice Project Returns Aug. 11
Guests Line Up for Caroline Rhea Series; UnREAL Season 4 Premieres on Hulu
Celebrities Get Animated on Animal Planet; Freeform Drama Pilot Underway
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 16, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Game of Thrones Leads Emmy Nominations; New Beverly Hillbillies DVDs Coming in October
Fri-Yay: What Was the Best Decade for Sitcoms?; The 70th Primetime Emmy Awards Nominations
Netflix Gets Christina Applegate Comedy; South Park Returns Sept. 26 for Season 22

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July)

New Girl - The Complete Seventh Season Alice - The Complete Seventh Season Green Acres - The Final (Sixth) Season The Last Man on Earth - The Complete Fourth Season The Good Place - The Complete Second Season

06/05 - Living Single - The Complete Fifth Season
06/05 - New Girl - The Complete Sixth Season
06/05 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-First Season (Blu-ray)
06/12 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fourth Season
06/12 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Third Season
06/12 - The Office - The Complete Series
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete Second Season
06/12 - Step by Step - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season One (Blu-ray)
06/19 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fourth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Fifth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Sixth Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete First Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete Second Season
07/03 - New Girl - The Final (Seventh) Season
07/10 - Alice - The Complete Seventh Season (WBShop.com)
07/10 - The Bill Engvall Show - The Complete First Season (WBShop.com)
07/10 - Green Acres - The Final (Sixth) Season
07/10 - The Last Man on Earth - The Complete Fourth Season
07/17 - Cooper Barrett's Guide to Surviving Life - The Complete Series
07/17 - The Good Place - The Complete Second Season
07/17 - Son of Zorn - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-29-2014, 10:10 PM   #1
upperco
Forum Regular

Default Single Season Sitcom Shout-Out: GOOD MORNING, WORLD

Read my thoughts on GOOD MORNING, WORLD (1967-1968, CBS) and check out the web's first ever guide to the best episodes here: http://jacksonupperco.com/2014/04/30...morning-world/
upperco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:57 PM   #2
TeeVeeCloset

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperco
Read my thoughts on GOOD MORNING, WORLD (1967-1968, CBS) and check out the web's first ever guide to the best episodes here: http://jacksonupperco.com/2014/04/30...morning-world/
I always enjoyed this very underrated one season wonder when I first discovered it in the 80's when it ran on the USA Network, never to be seen again until Arnie Shore's company "S'more Entertainment" released the full season on DVD in brillant color and prints, he also released the long lost gem 70's "Lotsa Luck" with Dom Deluise (NBC) along with other forever never seen specials and gems.

Was also shocked to find out that Bear Media also published a book (though thin) on "Good Morning World", so though it has a small cult following, we are strong! The biggest oddity is that it was Goldie Hawn's TV debut and the rest is history as they say, it also explains why actor Ronnie Shell was absent for a season of "Gomer Pyle U.S.M.C." and then returned when the series was cancelled.

In my opinion "Good Morning World" was basically the 6th never made season of "The Dick Van Dyke Show" only now in color, with basically all of the same crew, writers, etc involved in the creative process, though the premise was a coupling of two male radio DJ's they missed the boat on casting the females, except for Goldie & Ronnie....otherwise the series could have made it.

Well those are my thoughts and now I will read yours!

PS....My Fav episode......Laurel & Hardy S&P shakers argument
Old 08-10-2014, 08:54 PM   #3
missy's pop pop
Hooray for "Hazel!"
Forum Regular

Lightbulb

Wonder where I can find that DVD? The few things I remember about "Good Morning World" were in the opening sequence; not sure if it was Lewis or Clarke, but one of the shots show an Austin-Healey 3000 roadster tearing out of a driveway in the early A.M. And the closing credits were shown over a spinning Columbia stereo LP record (I remember trying to keep up with the red label with its "360 Sound" callout on the bottom of the disk)!

As a show about radio, I have read it was no "WKRP in Cincinnati"...
missy's pop pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:47 AM   #4
treky
star trek fan
Forum Veteran

it's available on amazon.com

Granny: "How much fer one o' them red diamonds?"
clerk: "Madam, those are rubies."
Granny: "OK ask her kin we buy one offa her."
clerk: " The ruby I am talking about is not a lady."
Granny: "Lissen, how she got them diamonds is her business. I'm just sayin' ask her kin we buy one from her."
treky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:32 AM   #5
Alan Brady's Hair

A good little show! Billy de Wolfe is always funny!
Alan Brady's Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:25 AM   #6
TeeVeeCloset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Brady's Hair
A good little show! Billy de Wolfe is always funny!
"Give me that hat!"
TeeVeeCloset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:05 PM   #7
Alan Brady's Hair

I've have a pretty good chance to see this since Antenna moved it to Saturday mornings, and I think it holds up pretty well. Billy De Wolfe is great, Goldie is used just enough, Baker and Shell are fine as the leads. Julie Parrish's character is a little dull - I think they may have been shooting for Mary Tyler Moore 2.0 with her. It certainly seems like there was enough to work with here, if they wanted to move on to a second season.
Alan Brady's Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 05:14 PM   #8
retroTVfan4ever

I've watched this series on Antenna TV, it's OK but overall doesn't really appeal to me, I can see why it didn't get renewed for a 2nd season. Weak scripts, not really much chemistry between the actors, Billy DeWolfe is annoying, Julie Parrish is cute looking though. It's a sitcom from the 1960's, my favorite decade for sitcoms so at least it has that much going for it. I'll watch almost any 1960's sitcom, even those that aren't on my list of favorites.

One thing I've really enjoyed on Antenna TV are the repeats of The Joey Bishop Show. Such a fun show, well made and well done. The 1st season is just so-so, some episodes are better than others, but the format was changed and improved in season 2 and that's when the show found it's groove. Joe Besser is so zany , he's the perfect counter balance to Joey Bishop's deadpan style. The two of them are always funny together in scenes that they share. Abby Dalton has the role of Joey's wife Ellie, Mary Treen has the role of Joey's housekeeper and she and Joey frequently exchange barbs/insults, but it's all in good fun. Corbett Monica has the role of Joey's writer/manager, taking over during mid 2nd season for Guy Marks who was let go, supposedly Joey Bishop fired him, if so I can see why he did it, I don't like Guy Marks that much either, I think Corbett Monica is much better in the role. Too bad the show didn't have a 5th season, I would have liked to see a 5th season, but unfortunately the series got the ax after season 4.

I just wish Antenna TV would air the episodes uncut, they trim off a few minutes from the episodes so they can fit in all their commercials.
retroTVfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 05:29 PM   #9
treky
star trek fan
Forum Veteran

the only thing I watch on Antenna TV anymore is ALL IN THE FAMILY every once in a while because Antenna TV crunches the closing credits.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:37 PM   #10
Torgo
Art by me
Forum Veteran

Have the complete series DVD. Very funny show. Great cast. Like said above Billy de Wolfe is always funny. And he's great as the boss. Goldie Hawn is cute as the upstairs neighbor.

"I am the literary equivalent of a Big Mac and Fries." - Stephen King

"There's nothing wrong with G-rated movies, as long as there's lots of sex and violence." - Elvira
Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:44 PM   #11
retroTVfan4ever

I like the episode about the football game, also the episode about the salt and pepper shakers, and the episode about the sweater. But aside from those three, that's about it.
retroTVfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:55 PM   #12
Duster76
Frequent Poster

I watched the series when Antenna TV ran it early Sunday mornings at the the beginning of 2017. The show lasted only one season and was beset by problems.

The show was on Tuesday nights scheduled at 9:30 behind Red Skelton, the two show were a demographically mismatched pair with the Skelton
show leaning much older than Good Morning World.

One of the original proposed stars of the series, Ron Rifkin, was dumped by the network as being too Jewish for the part.

Julie Parrish played Linda Lewis (female lead) struggled with health issues during the season, and her performance at times just lacked energy.

Joby Baker (Dave Lewis) the male lead, had trouble remembering lines. If you get a chance to view the series and DVR the episodes you can see him from time to time reading his lines off a cue card (watch his eyes). He also did not have the timing and performance skills necessary for the lead in a comedy series. Retrotvfan in his post mentioned the football episode, there is a funny bit in that episode where Baker keeps changing his plea (guilty to not gulty back to guilty...) in front of a judge (one of the best bits in the series), but Baker was unable to get the most out of that material (well written not well played). In another episode, Baker and his wife (Parrish) are house sitting in the mansion of his exceeding fussy boss Billy DeWolfe, the pride of DeWolfe's art positions is a bust of himself, we all know what's going to happen it's just a matter of when. Baker tips the bit too soon,again failing to get the most out of the material. Bill Persky, who was a big part of both the Dick Van Dyke Show and Good Morning World commented that Van Dyke could take material that was a 7 (on a one to 10 scale0 and make it into a 10, Baker was the opposite.

Ronnie Schell indicated that if the series had been renewed there was talk of replacing both Parrish and Baker.

Goldie Hawn was the major series discovery, by the time they realized what they had on their hands it was too late to take advantage of her talent.

I thought Ronny Schell was underutilized, in addition more episodes should have focused on the radio station (possibly adding another character at the station to interact with).

I love that Antenna TV carries shows like this from time to time, I would love to see He and She, Occasional Wife, My Living Doll and Run Buddy Run, just to name a few.
Duster76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:18 AM   #13
treky
star trek fan
Forum Veteran

like I said before, the only thing I watch on Antenna TV anymore is AITF. Oh yea, also Johnny Carson.