Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Spin-offs and One-Year Wonders

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Netflix Gets 2 More Comedies; YouTube Orders Wayne, a New Comedy
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 24, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Netflix Orders Multi-Camera Sitcom with Melissa Joan Hart and Sean Astin; Three New Seasons of Bob's Burgers on DVD
Fri-Yay: BoJack Horseman is as Delightfully Sad as Ever in Season 5; The Guest Book Returns Oct. 23 on TBS with More Guests
The Goldbergs Coming to TV Land; grown-ish Returns in January on Freeform
South Park 8 Day Marathon on Comedy Central; Classic Adult Swim Comedy Returns with Special
NBC Fall Pilot Review: I Feel Bad - Premieres Wednesday (Sept. 19); 70th Annual Primetime Emmy Award Winners
Married with Children Now on WGN America; black-ish Enters National Syndication and Free Sneakers Contest

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September)

The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season Step by Step - The Complete Second Season Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season

08/07 - Happy Endings - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
08/15 - A.P. Bio - Season One
08/28 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Five
08/28 - Man Seeking Woman - The Complete Third Season
09/04 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season 12
09/04 - Mom - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Superstore - Season Three
09/04 - Young Sheldon - The Complete First Season
09/11 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
09/11 - The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - People of Earth - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - Community - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
09/18 - Step by Step - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fourth Season
09/25 - Blondie - The Complete 1957 Television Series
09/25 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-25-2015, 10:08 AM   #61
KurtPikachu2001
Frequent Poster

The Good Guys, Alcatraz, Gracepoint, Futurama, and Brickleberry.
KurtPikachu2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:29 PM   #62
king of comedy

The Critic
king of comedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:55 PM   #63
danderson400
Forum Regular

do you think china beach would have lasted longer maybe on Monday nights?
danderson400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 09:20 PM   #64
JO Sweet Heart

I want The Glades back!

God bless you always!!!

Holly
Old 04-14-2015, 02:42 AM   #65
veggie-tari-jenn
SARCASTIC COUPON PRINCESS!!

The Soap Opera Titans it was on Oct 2000 to Dec 2000 and only aired 11 of the 13 episodes filmed.
veggie-tari-jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:43 PM   #66
kclj520
Frequent Poster

I just loved "Back to You" with Patricia Heaton and Kelsey Grammer 2007-08. Writers strike ended that one, but it was very funny and could have really been great I think!
kclj520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:51 PM   #67
opus
VB
Forum Veteran

Location: New York; but ideally Apt. 402 in Indy (for 8 years)

MULANEY should have gone 14 episodes.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 03:03 AM   #68
Edison

The Powers That Be, The Middleman, Cupid, Movie Stars, Frank's Place, The Tick, Max Headroom, Wonderfalls, My So-Called Life, Freaks And Geeks, Square Pegs, Pushing Daisies, Maniac Mansion, China Beach, Camp Runamuck, Maybe It's Me, Police Squad, The Education Of Max Bickford, I'll Fly Away, The Torkelsons, Nothing Sacred, Joan Of Arcadia, The Good Guys, The John Larroquette Show, Maximum Bob, The Pursuit Of Happiness, Way Out...Grand, The Adventures Of Brisco County, Jr., Mann & Machine, Firefly, My World And Welcome To It, Slings & Arrows, When Things Were Rotten.

Last edited by Edison; 01-07-2016 at 04:21 PM.
Edison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 06:55 PM   #69
king of comedy

They all should have lasted longer.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:38 AM   #70
irehtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edison
The Powers That Be, The Middleman, Cupid, Movie Stars, Frank's Place, The Tick, Max Headroom, Wonderfalls, My So-Called Life, Freaks And Geeks, Square Pegs, Pushing Daisies, Maniac Mansion, China Beach, Camp Runamuck, Maybe It's Me, Police Squad, The Education Of Max Bickford, I'll Fly Away, The Torkelsons, Nothing Sacred, Joan Of Arcadia, The Good Guys, The John Larroquette Show, Maximum Bob, The Pursuit Of Happiness, Way Out...Grand, The Adventures Of Brisco County, Jr., Mann & Machine, Firefly, My World And Welcome To It, Slings & Arrows, When Things Were Rotten.
Don't forget about "Do Over", "Popular", "Pointman" and "Fortune Hunter".
irehtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:17 PM   #71
Edison

Indeed. Thanks.
Edison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 03:11 PM   #72
EccentricGenius
Forum Regular

"Police Squad!" and "Square Pegs" definitely come to mind for me..."Squad!" lasted only six measly episodes, and "Pegs" limped through nineteen episodes. Oh, well...at least I own them both on DVD; I can watch them anytime and wonder "what could've been" had they both lasted longer.
EccentricGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:21 PM   #73
king of comedy

I loved Police Squad and the Naked Gun films. I got to get Square Pegs.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:32 AM   #74
Edward216

I'll put in a vote for Square Pegs too. I was 13 years old when it started so I was just starting my teens and going into adolescence and starting to relate to a lot of the stuff that was going on with the characters. Very funny show with likable characters that didn't get the chance it deserved.

I also want to add Still Standing. I mean it was on for 4 season but should've been on longer. Again another funny show with a likable family and lots of hilarious situations. And I thought Mark Addy and Jami Gertz had very good chemistry together. And even though Mark Addy is English he did a very good job sounding like a regular American guy. The show was cancelled way too soon.

Ed.
Edward216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 06:15 PM   #75
EccentricGenius
Forum Regular

Here's another one-season wonder, guys: the short-lived 1980 detective comedy/drama "Tenspeed and Brown Shoe," starring Ben Vereen and Jeff Goldblum! It's a travesty that ABC pulled it after only thirteen episodes...from what I understand, "TS&BS" was hugely successful at first (it even ranked in 29th place during the 1979-80 season, tied with "The ABC Sunday Movie" and "Vega$," and ahead of "Knots Landing"), due to the series being heavily promoted by ABC prior to its debut.

My theory was that the reason "TS&BS" was prematurely cancelled by ABC was because of heavy competition in its original timeslot, Sunday nights at 8 pm (it was scheduled opposite CBS's hit sitcoms "Archie Bunker's Place" and "One Day At A Time," and NBC's "The Big Event" [an "umbrella title" for special programming, such as "The Godfather Saga" {NBC edited "The Godfather" and "The Godfather, Part II" into a single film, incorporating unseen footage from both films, for television in the late 1970s**]).

Despite its early success, ratings for "TS&BS" quickly plummeted, and ABC put it on hiatus in late March 1980. "TS&BS" returned two months later (in late May) in a new timeslot, Friday nights at 10 pm. The bad news was that the series was now scheduled opposite CBS's smash hit "Dallas." Needless to say, ratings for "TS&BS" nosedived even further, and ABC cancelled it permanently in late June 1980 after thirteen episodes.

Thankfully, the entire run was released on DVD by Mill Creek Entertainment in 2010--well, almost...sadly, Mill Creek couldn't obtain the rights to the pilot episode due to a disagreement from CBS Television Distribution (formerly Paramount Television); ergo, the Mill Creek DVD box set contains every episode of "TS&BS" except for the pilot. Oh, well...it would've been terrific had the pilot been included in the DVD box set, though; fortunately, the pilot is available for viewing on YouTube, so it's not a complete loss.

My final verdict for "TS&BS" is that it was yet another short-lived series that was "cancelled too soon" (there's been a lot of THAT going around for more than a half-century now); thankfully, I own the "almost complete" DVD box set, and I watch it occasionally. I've even watched the pilot on YouTube, and it is a gem.
EccentricGenius is offline   Reply With Quote