Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Life of Riley links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Life of Riley Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1950s Sitcoms > The Life of Riley
User Name
Password

Headlines / New on DVD/Blu-ray
SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines:

TV Land Orders New Sitcom Starring Jim Gaffigan; FX Laughs It Up on Monday Nights with Sheen, Grammer and Lawrence
Melissa Joan Hart Explains It All On truTV Tonight; Comedy Central Renews Two Series for 3rd Seasons
FX Fall 2014: Mike & Molly Reruns Premiere; Jerry Seinfeld's Single Shots on Crackle
Summer 2014 Week 9 Sitcom Ratings
SitcomsOnline Digest: Community Season 6 Plans; The Equalizer Complete Series on DVD
Blossom, Big Bang Theory Star Hosting Candid Camera; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of July 28, 2014)
Here's Lucy Heading to Cozi TV; The CW Drops Comedies Seed, Backpackers
TVGN Adds Love Boat, Wings, Family Ties, and More; Hallmark's Lisa Whelchel/Kim Fields Movie Scores
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: FX, Includes 12-Day Simpsons Marathon on FXX; TCM Remembers James Garner
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: Fox, The CW; Remembering TV Legend James Garner
Summer 2014 Week 8 Sitcom Ratings
SitcomsOnline Digest: Enlisted to Return as Online Series?; Batman and Wonder Years DVD Updates
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: CBS; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of July 21, 2014)
TV Land's Candid Camera Premieres Aug. 11; NBC Gives Debra Messing Series a Preview Airing
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: ABC, Includes Fall 2014 Premiere Dates; Hot in Cleveland Animated Episode to Air July 30 on TV Land
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: NBC Networks; More Info on Apt. 23 on Logo, With 8 Unaired Episodes

New on DVD/Blu-ray (July)

07/01 - American Dad! - Volume 9
07/08 - The Soul Man - The Complete First Season
07/15 - Diff'rent Strokes - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 and 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-26-2001, 03:49 AM   #1
Will
Frequent Poster

Question What was this series about?

What was the series about? Who was in it? How long did it run for? Any other info?
Old 10-03-2001, 10:21 PM   #2
dawsongirl
Forum Legend

Ah, so many questions!

Oct 1949-Mar 1950
Jan 1953-Aug 1958

The first version had Jackie Gleason as Chester A. Riley and his wife was played by Rosemary DeCamp. The second version starred William Bendix (who did it on radio) and Marjorie Reynolds.

Chester was what sounds like to me a male Lucy (without the physical comedy). Good heart, but messed things up alot.
Old 10-04-2001, 11:21 AM   #3
moofomoo
Forum Regular
#1 Hans Conried fan

Location: land of Liberty and Justice for ALL...you got a problem with that?
Question

Was it anything like the radio show by the same name? I wish I had seen it.

**Gracie**
Old 08-11-2002, 12:37 PM   #4
KJH278
I LOVE STEPH McMAHON

Hey that william Bendix is the same actor that played Babe Ruth- in the Babe Ruth Movie way back in 1948
Old 10-13-2002, 02:10 AM   #5
Fan of old shows
Forum Regular

this sounds like a good show. i love screw up comedy. especally when someone ends up in all these situations and they cant handle them all.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:19 AM   #6
tv star collector
I Love Susie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moofomoo
Was it anything like the radio show by the same name? I wish I had seen it.

**Gracie**
Like many early TV shows, THE LIFE OF RILEY began on radio. The TV series
had two versions (both on NBC): the first one starred Jackie Gleason as Riley,
Rosemary DeCamp as his wife Peg, Gloria Winters as his daughter Babs and
Lanny Rees as his son Junior. It only ran from 1949 to 1950. In 1953, radio's
Riley, the great William Bendix, returned to play Riley for five seasons. Marjorie
Reynolds was Peg, Lugene Sanders was Babs and Wesley Morgan was Junior.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:50 AM   #7
treky
Forum Veteran
star trek fan

I read that when they first decided to bring it to TV in 1949, the reason William Bendix (who played the role on the radio series) couldn't do it was because he, and the other actors on the radio series, had it written into their contracts that they couldn't perform on TV. Remember, TV was still new at the time and many people in radio considered it an "evil upstart" or a "flash in the pan" that wouldn't last. So, that's why they cast Jackie Gleason in the lead.

from CHEERS-
Coach: "Norm, how come you & Vera never had any kids?"
Norm: "I can't Coach."
Coach: "Oh gee, I'm sorry"
Norm: "I look at Vera and I just...can't."
Old 10-24-2005, 09:01 AM   #8
Pilor
Occasional Poster

Good comparision, Riley to Lucy. William Bendix was the show. All I remember as a kid was laughing for a half hour watching this guy get into one predictment after another!
"What a revolting development this is" was his saying I think.

Fact was in the 1950's there was not alot of movies on TV and the ones that were shown were OLD. So it was a susprise when you ocassionally got to see someone like Bendix in one of his earlier movies (playing a serious role).
Old 10-24-2005, 07:20 PM   #9
tv star collector
I Love Susie

Quote:
Originally Posted by treky
I read that when they first decided to bring it to TV in 1949, the reason William Bendix (who played the role on the radio series) couldn't do it was because he, and the other actors on the radio series, had it written into their contracts that they couldn't perform on TV. Remember, TV was still new at the time and many people in radio considered it an "evil upstart" or a "flash in the pan" that wouldn't last. So, that's why they cast Jackie Gleason in the lead.
No, that wasn't the reason. In fact, many radio shows did make the transition to TV with the original stars (Jack Webb on DRAGNET, for instance). Others were recast for obvious reasons (William Conrad sounded right for the radio version of GUNSMOKE, but would anyone want to watch a fat Marshall Dillon?). Actually, in the case of THE LIFE OF RILEY, when the time came for the move to television, Bendix was tied up with movie commitments, and the chance went to a young Jackie Gleason, his first TV series.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:23 PM   #10
tv star collector
I Love Susie

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEPH_McMAHON_FAN
Hey that william Bendix is the same actor that played Babe Ruth- in the Babe Ruth Movie way back in 1948
Bendix was perfect for the part of Babe Ruth. So was John Goodman decades
later. (In fact, it's easy to picture Goodman as Chester A. Riley. After all,
Fred Flintstone was basically a stone-age Chester Riley/Ralph Kramden.)
Old 04-12-2006, 09:30 PM   #11
TV Knowledge Fan

Default What "THE LIFE OF RILEY" was about...

was, what could be called the first of the "Father is an idiot" brand of situation comedy on radio (and early TV). All right, Chester A. Riley wasn't
a complete idiot. But he usually opened his big mouth and was too stubborn for his own good and jumped to too many conclusions and tried to do what HE thought was the right thing...and usually wound up on the losing end of every situation he found himself in {"What a revoltin' development this is!!!"} despite his better judgment {"Don't talk me outta this, Peg- my head is made up!!"}. And Mrs. Riley- Peg- could only take so much {"'Psychology'! What do you know about psychology?"/"Well, that's where one guy outsmarts another.."/"So?"/"Well...I've been outsmarted by many a guy.."/"YOU SURE HAVE, and Junior's one of them!!!"}. But William Bendix was so "lovable" and
sympathetic as Riley that the audience welcomed him into their homes as one of "their" family. Plus the fact that Riley was a transported Brooklynite living in California made his background even more favorable to the listener and viewer.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:17 AM   #12
treky
Forum Veteran
star trek fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv star collector
Bendix was perfect for the part of Babe Ruth. So was John Goodman decades
later. (In fact, it's easy to picture Goodman as Chester A. Riley. After all,
Fred Flintstone was basically a stone-age Chester Riley/Ralph Kramden.)
acculey, "THE FLINSTONES" was loosely based on "THE HONEYMOONERS", in fact, when "THE FLINTSTONES" started Jackie Gleason was thinking of suing Hanna-Barbera (the creators) but his lawyer talked him out of it.

(OK, TV KNOWLEDGE FAN, you probably know the whole story, so tell me if I'm wrong! )

Last edited by treky : 04-20-2006 at 01:43 AM.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:53 PM   #13
TV Knowledge Fan

Default Well, yes..

"THE FLINTSTONES" WAS loosely based on "THE HONEYMOONERS", but Gleason decided to not sue Hanna-Barbera over it. In fact, Joe Barbera wanted Mel Blanc to give an Art Carney-ish tone of voice for Barney, but Blanc refused. He thought up his own idea of how Barney should sound..but didn't arrive at "the voice" until the end of the first season (just before his near-fatal auto accident).

ALAN REED, "the" Fred Flintstone, actually worked on the radio AND TV versions of "THE LIFE OF RILEY" (usually appearing as "Mr. Stevenson" on radio) AND opposite Jackie Gleason twice in 1950. Henry Corden, the "other" Fred, also appeared with Gleason in a 1949 TV episode...and dubbed Gleason's voice for the "sanitized" version of "Smokey And The Bandit" for network TV!
Old 04-14-2006, 12:47 AM   #14
treky
Forum Veteran
star trek fan

Talking

I KNEW you'd have something to add to my post!!
Old 04-19-2006, 04:37 PM   #15
TV Knowledge Fan

..my pleasure, 'treky'.