Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Gimme a Break! Online / Gimme a Break! links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Gimme a Break! Photo Gallery


Gimme a Break! - Season One (US Release by Universal)

Buy Gimme a Break! - Season One (US Release by Universal) on DVD
Gimme a Break! - The Complete First Season (Canadian Release by VEI)

Buy Gimme a Break! - The Complete First Season (Canadian Release by VEI) on DVD
Gimme a Break! - The Complete Second Season (Canadian Release by VEI)

Buy Gimme a Break! - The Complete Second Season (Canadian Release by VEI) on DVD if you are in the US
/ Buy in Canada
Gimme a Break! - The Complete Series (Canadian Release by VEI)

Buy Gimme a Break! - The Complete Series (Canadian Release by VEI) on DVD
/ Buy in Canada

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > Gimme a Break!

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Antenna TV Adds More Affiliates; Paramount Network Invites You to Catch Up on Heathers
Fox Picks Up Sitcom The Cool Kids for Full Season; CBS and ABC Back Nine Pickups
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 22, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Is Alice Next in Line for a Reboot?; CBS Gives Full Season to Three New Series
Fri-Yay: New Sitcoms - What's Working and What's Not?; Brockmire Season 3 Brings Out the Stars
ABC Picks Up Single Parents for Full Year; Netflix Gets Tia Mowry and Loretta Devine Sitcom
Showtime Comedy Gets More Stars; Netflix Orders New Comedy from Novel Writer


New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October)

The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season Step by Step - The Complete Second Season Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season

09/04 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season 12
09/04 - Mom - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Superstore - Season Three
09/04 - Young Sheldon - The Complete First Season
09/11 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
09/11 - The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - People of Earth - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - Community - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
09/18 - Step by Step - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fourth Season
09/25 - Blondie - The Complete 1957 Television Series
09/25 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season
10/02 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season
10/02 - The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One / Volume Two
10/02 - Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection
10/16 - Police Squad! - TV and Movie Collection
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-15-2018, 05:44 PM   #1
Svenfan1234
Carole King = Queen of Music
Senior Member
 
Svenfan1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 12, 2015
Location: In Berwyn hitting Svengoolie with rubber chickens!
Posts: 9,818
Default This sitcom portrayed its dramatic moments rather poorly

Gimme a Break is a great sitcom and I like it upon seeing the re runs on Antenna TV. The only thing I would change would be to change the focus from 80% of the Chief's poorly acted melodrama to more of Nell's comedic antics. What , did this show think it was a cross between Barney Miller and Hill Street Blues? The police stories are so painfully and poorly acted it's hard to watch them. Take for example, "Your Prisoner Is Dead". Terrible episode. How did Chief know that that guy was going to pull out a gun? Why didn't Chief leave his gun at his office? Some fetish for killing people, I guess?

I did not feel bad for Chief in one way in that episode. One bullet? One. Freaking. Bullet. Really? And they crossed the line for me when they were pretending to be SO serious. Give ME a break! You are a freaking comedy. Every other sitcoms did very special episodes far better, like Diff'rent Strokes. Even Empty Nest, which had Barbara as a cop (admittedly not a chief of police) did not feel the urge to have her be some arrogant cop who felt herself much more important. Why didn't we see way less of Chief? Those episodes drive me crazy, why not have the show be a drama if you wanted that much drama in it? Oh, well. I guess at the end of the day, we have to consider how this IS only a TV show, but Nell is truly a star on this show. such a classy lady, so funny and I love seeing her. Her episodes are great.

Thoughts?
__________________
Now, ain't it good to know that you've got a friend
When people can be so cold?
They'll hurt you, yes, and desert you
And take your soul if you let them,
Oh, but don't you let them


Carole King, You've Got a Friend
Svenfan1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:41 PM   #2
Smartboy
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 06, 2007
Location: South Orange, NJ
Posts: 3,798
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svenfan1234
Gimme a Break is a great sitcom and I like it upon seeing the re runs on Antenna TV. The only thing I would change would be to change the focus from 80% of the Chief's poorly acted melodrama to more of Nell's comedic antics. What , did this show think it was a cross between Barney Miller and Hill Street Blues? The police stories are so painfully and poorly acted it's hard to watch them. Take for example, "Your Prisoner Is Dead". Terrible episode. How did Chief know that that guy was going to pull out a gun? Why didn't Chief leave his gun at his office? Some fetish for killing people, I guess?

I did not feel bad for Chief in one way in that episode. One bullet? One. Freaking. Bullet. Really? And they crossed the line for me when they were pretending to be SO serious. Give ME a break! You are a freaking comedy. Every other sitcoms did very special episodes far better, like Diff'rent Strokes. Even Empty Nest, which had Barbara as a cop (admittedly not a chief of police) did not feel the urge to have her be some arrogant cop who felt herself much more important. Why didn't we see way less of Chief? Those episodes drive me crazy, why not have the show be a drama if you wanted that much drama in it? Oh, well. I guess at the end of the day, we have to consider how this IS only a TV show, but Nell is truly a star on this show. such a classy lady, so funny and I love seeing her. Her episodes are great.

Thoughts?

In the first place, I am not sure what your point is in regards to one bullet. When the chief took out his gun, he took one shot at the bad guy causing him to fall. He was a good enough shot so that the one bullet that went into the bad guy's body ended up killing him. Things like that happen. Furthermore, there was one line in that episode that I was especially fond of. This line relates to Julie being my favorite character. The fact that the chief had to go to the store in the first place was because of Katie's absent-mindedness. The things that Katie forgot to pick up included cream rinse for Julie's hair and a pair of pantyhose for Nell. Julie responded to this situation with "it is just like you Katie to put your own personal lust ahead of Nell's pantyhose"! This was in reference to the boy who worked in the store distracting Katie's mind from the things that she was asked to pick up. For a cutie pie like Julie to use pantyhose in her sarcasm really made me drool!
Smartboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:11 PM   #3
Svenfan1234
Carole King = Queen of Music
Senior Member
 
Svenfan1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 12, 2015
Location: In Berwyn hitting Svengoolie with rubber chickens!
Posts: 9,818
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartboy
In the first place, I am not sure what your point is in regards to one bullet. When the chief took out his gun, he took one shot at the bad guy causing him to fall. He was a good enough shot so that the one bullet that went into the bad guy's body ended up killing him. Things like that happen. Furthermore, there was one line in that episode that I was especially fond of. This line relates to Julie being my favorite character. The fact that the chief had to go to the store in the first place was because of Katie's absent-mindedness. The things that Katie forgot to pick up included cream rinse for Julie's hair and a pair of pantyhose for Nell. Julie responded to this situation with "it is just like you Katie to put your own personal lust ahead of Nell's pantyhose"! This was in reference to the boy who worked in the store distracting Katie's mind from the things that she was asked to pick up. For a cutie pie like Julie to use pantyhose in her sarcasm really made me drool!
I don't think it caused him to fall. Anyway, they wrote a very, very poor episode. They were NOT Hill Street Blues. They were NOT CHiPs. I don't understand why they felt the need to sloppily write an episode unless it was close to Emmy submission time. All shows pulled out the Very Special Episodes either a) After an event or B) Before Emmy submission time. It was obvious that this was written not to tell a story, but to win an award, which they didn't. They weren't even nominated. Horrible episode that I will never, ever , ever watch again. Also Julie was a crappy character. Nobody cared about her, and she was given practically no character. Lol. Oh, how I wish she had been taken out by Joey without any explanation. But she stayed like a bad flu.
Svenfan1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:20 PM   #4
Smartboy
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 06, 2007
Location: South Orange, NJ
Posts: 3,798
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svenfan1234
I don't think it caused him to fall. Anyway, they wrote a very, very poor episode. They were NOT Hill Street Blues. They were NOT CHiPs. I don't understand why they felt the need to sloppily write an episode unless it was close to Emmy submission time. All shows pulled out the Very Special Episodes either a) After an event or B) Before Emmy submission time. It was obvious that this was written not to tell a story, but to win an award, which they didn't. They weren't even nominated. Horrible episode that I will never, ever , ever watch again. Also Julie was a crappy character. Nobody cared about her, and she was given practically no character. Lol. Oh, how I wish she had been taken out by Joey without any explanation. But she stayed like a bad flu.

I find it hard to picture anyone finding fault with Julie! In the first place, I thought she was so cute! On top of that, she was very smart and used her intelligence in very attractive ways. I was twelve-years-old when I first developed a crush on her!
Smartboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:23 PM   #5
Svenfan1234
Carole King = Queen of Music
Senior Member
 
Svenfan1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 12, 2015
Location: In Berwyn hitting Svengoolie with rubber chickens!
Posts: 9,818
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartboy
I find it hard to picture anyone finding fault with Julie! In the first place, I thought she was so cute! On top of that, she was very smart and used her intelligence in very attractive ways. I was twelve-years-old when I first developed a crush on her!
Well, I find fault with her. But that's cool that you like her. Anyway, I think Samantha's kinda cute when she was little and Katie was always very attractive...I'm surprised it wasn't her that got married. But you know, new writers...Julie should've been written off to college in another state, or off to live with another relative, anything. She wasn't needed.
Svenfan1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 01:03 PM   #6
Svenfan1234
Carole King = Queen of Music
Senior Member
 
Svenfan1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 12, 2015
Location: In Berwyn hitting Svengoolie with rubber chickens!
Posts: 9,818
Default

The "dramatic episodes" were obviously written for an Emmy, nothing else. However, nobody but Nell was ever nominated for any award -- the cast OR crew. Nell was the true star of "Gimme a Break!", because honestly, if it weren't for her, this show would be as fondly remembered as "Carter Country" or "She's the Sheriff". I wish Gimme a Break had stuck to innocent comedy instead of trying to be Hill Street Blues. I mean, come on, even The Andy Griffith Show did the whole police stories BETTER. They should've had Chief retire after they realized they weren't winning any awards from it.
Svenfan1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:31 PM   #7
70s show watcher
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 20, 2008
Location: between point place and studio 8 h
Posts: 4,220
Default

the dramatic for me were some of the high points of the whole series dolph sweet was a great and imho very underretted actor
70s show watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:03 PM   #8
Svenfan1234
Carole King = Queen of Music
Senior Member
 
Svenfan1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 12, 2015
Location: In Berwyn hitting Svengoolie with rubber chickens!
Posts: 9,818
Default

Dolph Sweet was a horrible OVERactor. I cannot stand his constant yelling. That is not acting. Literally just him yelling and acting as if he's just reading words off a page. Nell is the saving grace of the show. Love her, and I do enjoy Gimme a Break just not when they try to rip off Barney Miller.
Svenfan1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 12:27 AM   #9
70s show watcher
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 20, 2008
Location: between point place and studio 8 h
Posts: 4,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svenfan1234
Dolph Sweet was a horrible OVERactor. I cannot stand his constant yelling. That is not acting. Literally just him yelling and acting as if he's just reading words off a page. Nell is the saving grace of the show. Love her, and I do enjoy Gimme a Break just not when they try to rip off Barney Miller.
we will just have to agree to disagree on this topic
70s show watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:32 PM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

VigLink badge

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.