Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Spin-offs and One-Year Wonders

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Drunk History and Corporate Return in January; Jim Gaffigan Returns with Comedy Central Special
The Dick Van Dyke Show and I Love Lucy in Color on Dec. 14; The CW Sets January 2019 Premiere Dates
getTV 2018 Holiday Marathons Schedule; truTV Comedy Returns for 3rd Season
Freeform and ABC's 2018 25 Days of Christmas Schedule; The CW Orders Full Seasons of All Freshman Series
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 12, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Vanessa Bayer Set to Co-Create and Star in Showtime Comedy; Orange is the New Black Sequel in Discussions
Fri-Yay: When Is It Time to Stop Looking at Live Ratings?; NBC Sets and Shifts January 2019 Lineup

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)

The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection Alice - The Complete Eighth Season Step by Step - The Complete Third Season

10/02 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 6th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 7th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 8th Season
10/02 - Ghosted - The Complete First Season
10/02 - The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One / Volume Two
10/02 - Police Squad! - TV and Movie Collection
10/02 - Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection
10/16 - Community - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/23 - Alice - The Complete Eighth Season
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Two
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Three
10/31 - The Bad News Bears - The Complete Series - All 26 Episodes
11/01 - Episodes - Season 5
11/05 - Robin Williams - Comic Genius (includes Mork & Mindy)
11/06 - American Dad! - Volume 13
11/20 - Step by Step - The Complete Third Season
11/27 - What I Like About You - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-06-2011, 06:32 PM   #31
jehobden

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencasey
That's why this book really is without much coherency. You could honestly call 2 and 3 season shows like Pete and Gladys, People's Choice and Henessey as lost since they all were syndicated. To put them in the same category as shows like My Living Doll and Grindl which ran one season and have never aired anywhere since makes no sense. He certainly could have filled the book with successful shows that are no longer being seen anywhere. Shows like The Gale Storm Show, Beulah and Life of Riley for instance have not been seen in decades.
I remember seeing The Life of Riley on CBN (now ABC Family Channel) back in the mid-to-late 80s and hating it. It was mostly about what an idiot Chester A. Riley was and how much his family members told him he was an idiot but still loved him. (This reminds me of what Bob Newhart said was a type of sitcom he never wanted to do: "Daddy's the dummy but we love him!".) I also briefly saw Blondie on CBN but honestly changed the channel as soon as Dagwood opened his mouth; he was that obnoxious! I did enjoy Hazel on CBN though at about the same time, and I saw The Farmer's Daughter there & thought it was ok too.
jehobden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:10 PM   #32
retroTVfan4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencasey
That's why this book really is without much coherency. You could honestly call 2 and 3 season shows like Pete and Gladys, People's Choice and Henessey as lost since they all were syndicated. To put them in the same category as shows like My Living Doll and Grindl which ran one season and have never aired anywhere since makes no sense. He certainly could have filled the book with successful shows that are no longer being seen anywhere. Shows like The Gale Storm Show, Beulah and Life of Riley for instance have not been seen in decades.
I put shows into 2 categories, shows that lasted 1 season or less, and shows that lasted 2 seasons or more. Regarding these old TV shows that haven't aired in a long time, I wouldn't mind seeing many of them again, although retro TV stations might be reluctant to air series like these because they want to air shows that people request, shows that still have a following. The longer an old show goes unaired, the more forgotten it becomes and increase the chance stations won't want to air it. Some old shows, especially the shortest lived ones one season or less, might not be available anymore even if a TV station wanted to air it.

Antenna TV is currently airing a few long unseen shows, Adventures Of Rin Tin Tin, Circus Boy, and Iron Horse. Hopefully they will add more long unseen shows to their schedule in the future.

Last edited by retroTVfan4ever; 10-07-2011 at 03:23 PM.
retroTVfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:28 AM   #33
bencasey

Availability is a problem these days. Syndicators used to have 16mm prints of all of their shows and could send them out if a show was sold, even an obscure show. But when stations stopped running shows from off film and only wanted tape, the studios tossed their film prints out. Now, unless tape masters have been struck, its cost prohibitive to go back to the 35s and master to tape. So even though these shows exist, no one will pay the transfer costs and many shows will never see the light of day again. That was the real reason why Antenna TV changed their mind about Farmer's Daughter. Sony couldn't find the 1-inch transfers they struck in the 80s and they aren't getting a high enough price to re-transfer.
bencasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:53 AM   #34
Cincy Guy
Frequent Poster

Just wondering if a show called "Harry's Girls" got a mention in that book? The 30-minute program, which starred Larry Blyden, was on NBC-TV on Fridays at 9:30 P.M. for the 1963-64 season but was cancelled in early January, 1964.

The reason that I mention this show is not from watching it (as apparently very few did), but because it is the only show I know of that was bashed on the show which followed it. The Jack Paar Program aired from 10:00 - 11:00 P.M. on NBC on Friday nights. In its opening during the fall, the announcer began by saying, "Now...as millions of Americans tune back to NBC...We present The Jack Paar Program". I'm not sure whose idea it was to open with that or how it went over with the network brass, but I've always remembered it.
Cincy Guy is offline   Reply With Quote