Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Patty Duke Show links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Patty Duke Show Photo Gallery

The Patty Duke Show - The Complete First Season

Buy The Patty Duke Show - The Complete First Season on DVD
The Patty Duke Show - The Complete Second Season

Buy The Patty Duke Show - The Complete Second Season on DVD
The Patty Duke Show - The Complete Third Season

Buy The Patty Duke Show - The Complete Third Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > The Patty Duke Show

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

NBC Fall 2018 Premiere Dates; Season 4 of Bounce Sitcom Premieres July 2
The History of Comedy Returns to CNN; Showtime Gets First Late Night Talk Show
Showtime Gets Don Cheadle Comedy; HBO Special Directed by Jerrod Carmichael Coming Soon
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 18, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Roseanne Spinoff One Step Closer to Reality; Netflix to Air New Season of Lucifer
Fri-Yay: Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Finally Finds Its Best Self; All About the Washingtons with Rev Run Coming to Netflix
Paramount Network Comedy Scores in Ratings; Stan Against Evil Returns on Halloween for Season 3
WGN America Picks Up Two Original Series; Pop TV Orders New Comedy Florida Girls
Seinfeld's Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee Returns; Canceled CBS Sitcoms Return on Saturday Nights
Jim Carrey Comedy and Shameless Premiere Sept. 9; Sabrina Star Gets GSN Game Show

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June)

Living Single - The Complete Fifth Season Step by Step - The Complete First Season Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season One Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fourth Season Last Man Standing - The Complete Sixth Season

06/05 - Living Single - The Complete Fifth Season
06/05 - New Girl - The Complete Sixth Season
06/05 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-First Season (Blu-ray)
06/12 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fourth Season
06/12 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Third Season
06/12 - The Office - The Complete Series
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete Second Season
06/12 - Step by Step - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season One (Blu-ray)
06/19 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fourth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Fifth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Sixth Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete First Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete Second Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-14-2011, 02:40 PM   #1
OH Nuts!
WINGing it on a Sandpiper!
Forum Legend

Default "The Perfect Hostess (Wonderful Ep from S#2!)

Just when you think Patty Duke can't outdo herself - she does! In this ep, there are THREE Patties - Patty, Cathy and "Betsy" - the southern belle from h*ll. Woww whee - Patty looks AMAZING as a blonde. And what a treat to see her playing a third character--the conniving Betsy who ends up getting the tables turned on her. Also very nice is seeing Patty do the switch into Cathy - because she is such a FANTASTIC actress I can sometimes forget its one person playing the two parts.

If you haven't seen this ep go to it! It's wonderful.

I'm still going through all the eps - I've probably watched 1/2 of the series by now. But I bet this is likely the best ep of the series. Your thoughts?

xxoo You both Rock!!
OH Nuts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:41 AM   #2
retroTVfan4ever

Just my opinion, but to me this is one of the weaker episodes. I think they went too far this time with the "look alike" gimmick, just how many look alikes did she have anyway? There aren't any really bad episodes of the Patty Duke Show, but this one isn't among my favorites.
retroTVfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:52 PM   #3
OH Nuts!
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroTVfan4ever
Just my opinion, but to me this is one of the weaker episodes. I think they went too far this time with the "look alike" gimmick, just how many look alikes did she have anyway? There aren't any really bad episodes of the Patty Duke Show, but this one isn't among my favorites.
Well, the one thing we DO seem to agree on is there are NO really bad eps. I was esp. taken by how different she looked as a blonde.

What I like about this forum is we can all agree to disagree. And of course it comes down to personal likes. But I liked seeing her do three characters in one show, and do them all well. More than four, or more eps playing off Patty doing multiple personalities, would have begun going into overkill.

On a slightly different note, I also really liked the ep where Cathy tells Aunt Paulina to pretty much bite it. (an S#1 ep near the beginning of the season)
Old 03-15-2011, 04:19 PM   #4
retroTVfan4ever

Patty's a great actress, no doubt about that. The early 1st season episode where Cathy tells off Aunt Pauline is not one of my favorites either but I like it a little better than The Perfect Hostess episode.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:31 PM   #5
biffbronson
"My Three Sons" Fan

Location: In my dreams, back at age 15 in Erin Moran's bedroom in 1980, making passionate love...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH Nuts!
Woww whee - Patty looks AMAZING as a blonde.
I'm in full agreement on that. I just watched the episode again. For a lot of actresses, I actually prefer their natural or darker haircolor. But I think Patty's blonde look was fantastic.

She also later had much longer hair when she did an episode of Hawaii Five-O -- not bright blonde though.

"For you are beautiful ~ And I have loved you dearly ~ More dearly than the spoken word can tell..."

"What's the word?" (Paul Martin) ~~ "I don't want money for nothing." (Timmy Martin) -- Lassie ROCKS! WORD UP

"It's just a dugout that my dad built... In case the reds decide to push the button down..."
biffbronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:11 PM   #6
OH Nuts!
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroTVfan4ever
Patty's a great actress, no doubt about that. The early 1st season episode where Cathy tells off Aunt Pauline is not one of my favorites either but I like it a little better than The Perfect Hostess episode.
Hi retroTVfan4ever, just curious, what ep's from the show are your favorite? I'm still going thru the series (have seen roughly 1/2). The one where Patty thinks her parents are trying to marry her off is kind of funny (in a Lucy-esque kind of way)
Old 03-16-2011, 11:25 PM   #7
retroTVfan4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH Nuts!
Hi retroTVfan4ever, just curious, what ep's from the show are your favorite? I'm still going thru the series (have seen roughly 1/2). The one where Patty thinks her parents are trying to marry her off is kind of funny (in a Lucy-esque kind of way)
A few favorite episodes are:

The Elopement
Slumber Party
How To Be Popular
Song Writers
Let Em Eat Cake
Con Artists
Slight Case Of Disaster
Leave It To Patty
Patty And The Newspaper Game
Little Brother Is Watching You
Patty The Practical Joker
The Daughter Bit
Partying Is Such Sweet Sorrow (Patty singing Funny Little Butterflies is a classic TV moment)
Girl From NEPHEW
Patty The Candy Striper
History Paper Caper
Very Phon-y Situation
Ross Runs Away But Not Far
Patty Leads A Dogs Life
Do You Trust Your Daughter
Don't Bank On It
Three Little Kittens
Old 03-17-2011, 12:38 PM   #8
MickeyMac
Forum Veteran

I like this episode myself.
MickeyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:15 AM   #9
Cathy_Lane
Identical Cousin
Frequent Poster

I don't think that this was a weak episode, but a rather strong one, because of how Betsy gets both Patty and Cathy to look at each other differently with her attempt to break up their friendship, and try to convince Cathy to leave. It explores how the two girls see each other, and how, despite their differing personalities, they are still very close. We should all be as fortunate to have as close a friendship with someone as Patty and Cathy have. I also like how they found a good way to resolve it without just banishing cousin Betsy from the Lane household as persona non grata. People may make mistakes, but they deserve a second chance, especially family. It is a shame Betsy never made a return appearance on The Patty Duke Show, although I'll admit that is is likely because it would have been difficult to find a good reason to bring her back,
Old 03-19-2011, 04:38 PM   #10
OH Nuts!
Forum Legend

Yes!!! That too! So far its my favorite ep (out of the 50 or so I've seen)
Old 04-17-2011, 02:32 PM   #11
broadmoor
Forum Regular

It's a fine episode. Quite a feat, one actress portraying three distinct characters, all interacting to one another, done so adeptly that you can't help but totally buy into the proceedings. Of course, I'm always partial to episodes in which Patty or Cathy switch identities (although it was wise that the writers didn't do this 'too' much, as its inherently gimmicky nature could have easily worn thin from constant repetition). I wish, however, there might have been a few more instances in which Cathy, perhaps reluctantly, was recruited into disguising herself as Patty. Could have been a goodly amount of humor to be mined in such situations. We expect such precocious shenanigans from Patty, after all!
broadmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:27 PM   #12
OH Nuts!
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadmoor
It's a fine episode. Quite a feat, one actress portraying three distinct characters, all interacting to one another, done so adeptly that you can't help but totally buy into the proceedings. Of course, I'm always partial to episodes in which Patty or Cathy switch identities (although it was wise that the writers didn't do this 'too' much, as its inherently gimmicky nature could have easily worn thin from constant repetition). I wish, however, there might have been a few more instances in which Cathy, perhaps reluctantly, was recruited into disguising herself as Patty. Could have been a goodly amount of humor to be mined in such situations. We expect such precocious shenanigans from Patty, after all!
I like it when they do the ol swictheroo too! I was really taken aback by how gorgeous she was as a blonde. Patty was attractive alright but as Betsey she was ravishing. For me there is no such thing as too much Patty. Love her then and love her now. She really is a lovely woman - so free of all the attitude and hoity-toitedness of many celebs.

Last edited by OH Nuts!; 05-12-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:59 AM   #13
Ronny G
Forum Regular

I like this episode, too. It's one of my favorites. Yes, the idea of a third identical cousin suspends belief, but its fun to see Patty play another character. Love the blonde hair so she's not as easily recognizable.
Ronny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:57 PM   #14
MickeyMac
Forum Veteran

Another thing about this episode is on the DVD it mentiones one of the guest starts is Scott Glenn. His name is listed in the credits of the epidose but I cant seem to find him anywhere. Does anybody know what scene he is in.

I know I probably wouldnt recoginize him because he was so young back then.
MickeyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:25 PM   #15
OH Nuts!
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronny G
I like this episode, too. It's one of my favorites. Yes, the idea of a third identical cousin suspends belief, but its fun to see Patty play another character. Love the blonde hair so she's not as easily recognizable.
She is wonderful! Truly one of the most versatile talents around! Then & now