Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Brady Bunch (Sitcoms Online) / The Brady Bunch links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Brady Bunch Photo Gallery

The Brady Bunch - The Complete First Season

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete First Season on DVD
The Brady Bunch - The Complete Second Season

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Second Season on DVD
The Brady Bunch - The Complete Third Season

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Third Season on DVD
The Brady Bunch - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
The Brady Bunch - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
The Brady Bunch - The Complete Series

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Series on DVD

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Series (Seasons 1-5; Shag Carpet Cover;
Bonus Disc with A Very Brady Christmas, The Brady 500 and The Brady Kids cartoon episodes) on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > The Brady Bunch

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

The Goldbergs Coming to TV Land; grown-ish Returns in January on Freeform
South Park 8 Day Marathon on Comedy Central; Classic Adult Swim Comedy Returns with Special
NBC Fall Pilot Review: I Feel Bad - Premieres Wednesday (Sept. 19); 70th Annual Primetime Emmy Award Winners
Married with Children Now on WGN America; black-ish Enters National Syndication and Free Sneakers Contest
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 17, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: ABC Orders Script for Designing Women Reboot; James Marsden and Ed Asner Cast in Netflix Series
Fri-Yay: A Look at the Upcoming Sitcom Slate; TV Guide's 1st Annual 100 Best Shows List
Dancing with the Stars Season 27 Cast Has Sitcom Stars; The Young Sheldon STEM Initiative

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September)

The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season Step by Step - The Complete Second Season Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season

08/07 - Happy Endings - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
08/15 - A.P. Bio - Season One
08/28 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Five
08/28 - Man Seeking Woman - The Complete Third Season
09/04 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season 12
09/04 - Mom - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Superstore - Season Three
09/04 - Young Sheldon - The Complete First Season
09/11 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
09/11 - The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - People of Earth - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - Community - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
09/18 - Step by Step - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fourth Season
09/25 - Blondie - The Complete 1957 Television Series
09/25 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-27-2007, 10:42 PM   #1
caladon

Default Member of the family, my foot

I always thought it extremely hypocritical of the Bradys to keep telling Alice how they considered her a member of the family and still never felt the need to stop her from addressing them as Mr. and Mrs. Brady and call them Mike or Carol.

Anybody out there address any members of their own family as Mr. or Mrs.?

And even after Alice had long since stopped working for the Bradys, she still addressed them as Mr. & Mrs.. Member of the family: yeah right.
caladon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 10:01 AM   #2
bluthree
Forum Regular

Default Alice

I have to agree.Also if Alice was apart of The Brady Family why did she have to wear a uniform? Also you never see Alice having supper with The Bradys.And when they all went to The Grand Canyon,and the whole bunch was sitting around a camp fire singing,how come Alice was not sitting with them?Some vacation Alice gets to go with them to The Grand Canyon and shes the one doing the cooking.Also since she was living with The Bradys did she have to pay Mike and Carol rent? Also why did they need a housekeeper?Carol did not work.What did Carol do while Alice was doing all the house work?
bluthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 01:34 PM   #3
kooky12

She sure was a member of the family, they let her live in their house, they took her on vacations, she didn't sue them after tripping on the Chinese checkers, she didn't sue after they scared the hell out of her with the ghost, the family gave her boyfriend all of their meat business, they let her aunt stay with them, and the kids even tried to get back at her after she snitched, just like they would any other family member.
kooky12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 05:53 PM   #4
caladon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooky12
She sure was a member of the family, they let her live in their house,
As a live in maid. Where she was available night and day.

Quote:
they took her on vacations.
Where she did the cooking and cleaning up; the location changed but the job didn't.

Quote:
She didn't sue them after tripping on the Chinese checkers, she didn't sue after they scared the hell out of her with the ghost.
That was just her being a decent person who wasn't malicious or greedy.

Quote:
The family gave her boyfriend all of their meat business.
Where the family benefitted by getting better cuts of meat because Sam was her boyfriend.

Quote:
they let her aunt stay with them.
I don't recall Alice's Aunt staying with the family. However if you're referring to her cousin Emma, she was filling in for Alice while she was away. Apparently, the Brady's were helpless without a maid, if even for a little while.

Quote:
and the kids even tried to get back at her after she snitched, just like they would any other family member.
Actually the kids assumed she snitched and rather than try to learn the whole truth, decided to give her the cold shoulder; in effect shutting her out. Apparently all those years of loyal service and kindness she gave them, meant nothing to them. Yeah, real nice family.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:24 PM   #5
Ireneparalegal
LEGAL SPICE ;)
Forum Celebrity

Location: OXNARD, CA - WHERE THE DALLAS COWBOYS TRAIN & PRACTICE

^^^^^nice response caladon.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:34 AM   #6
Madame X

Excellent points, caladon!

I always thought having her call Mike & Carol "Mr. & Mrs." was strange. I got the feeling she was one level below the Bradys even though she was "part of the family."

She even got to scrub Tiger's @ss!
Madame X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:12 AM   #7
kooky12

You convinced me too, what a bunch of meanies ! I think I'm switching over to the Partridges.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:53 PM   #8
Ireneparalegal
LEGAL SPICE ;)
Forum Celebrity

Location: OXNARD, CA - WHERE THE DALLAS COWBOYS TRAIN & PRACTICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame X
Excellent points, caladon!

I always thought having her call Mike & Carol "Mr. & Mrs." was strange. I got the feeling she was one level below the Bradys even though she was "part of the family."

She even got to scrub Tiger's @ss!
Bingo!
Ireneparalegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:37 PM   #9
caladon

Thanks folks, I'm glad you liked the posts.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:47 AM   #10
Tweety

Quote:
You convinced me too, what a bunch of meanies ! I think I'm switching over to the Partridges.
Speaking of that, did you ever see the Saturday Night Live sketch (from a show hosted by Susan Dey, sometime around 1991 or 1992)?

In one sketch, Susan Dey played Laurie Partridge, Dana Carvey played Keith ... it starts off with the "Partridge Family" 'rehearsing' in their garage... "Jan Brady" (Melanie Hutsell) discovers that the Partridges only lip-synch on their songs, so she brings all of her brothers and sisters over, and they engage in a "battle of the garage bands"...

Kevin Nealon played Greg, I think Adam Sandler played Peter, I forget who played Bobby... I'm not sure who played Marcia, but Victoria Jackson played Cindy... I think Mike Meyers was in there too, he played either Bobby or Danny Bonaduce's character... I'm thinking that David Spade was in there too, maybe he played the youngest boy from the Partridges...

Anyway, Susan Dey, as Laurie, makes a snide comment about how the Bradys treat Alice "like crap" because "you don't even let her eat DINNER with you!" ... to which Cindy (Victoria Jackson, speaking with a lisp) replies "that's not true, we LOVE Alith"

Great sketch! If you haven't seen it, and you ever notice that a SNL rerun (shown on "E") has Susan Dey as the host, that's an episode to watch!

Last edited by Tweety; 11-05-2007 at 07:58 PM.
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:04 PM   #11
kooky12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasCowboy
no comment....................
I meant that the Bradys were meanies for treating Alice in that manner, so I would watch the Partridges instead, not anything else, forgive me if it seemed otherwise !!
Old 11-01-2007, 02:27 PM   #12
catlover79
God Bless Val
Forum Legend

Everyone has made some very good points. I don't even see why they needed Alice in the first place (after the marriage, that is). Carol didn't have a job, and the older kids didn't need as much supervision, so maybe they could've freed up Alice's salary to build a few more rooms!!

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
catlover79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:58 PM   #13
Madame X

Alice was the glue of the family. They were helpless without her. What the hell did Carol do, anyway? She "helped" with meals and drove kids around sometimes.

Mike should have married Alice!
Madame X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:10 PM   #14
WonderYearsfan
Frequent Poster

I think her calling them Mr. and Mrs. Brady was just something she did out of respect. Though it doesn't make a whole lot of sense since they were either the same age or younger than her. Different times I guess... different times.
WonderYearsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:19 PM   #15
rcbrad
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderYearsfan
I think her calling them Mr. and Mrs. Brady was just something she did out of respect. Though it doesn't make a whole lot of sense since they were either the same age or younger than her. Different times I guess... different times.
Yes! This was what I was going to say. Times were different back during 1969-1974.
rcbrad is offline   Reply With Quote