Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Facts of Life Online / The Facts of Life links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Facts of Life Photo Gallery / The Facts of Life - Fan Fiction Board / The Division Board


The Facts of Life - The Complete First and Second Seasons

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete First and Second Seasons on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Third Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Third Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - Season Six

Buy The Facts of Life - Season Six on DVD
The Facts of Life - Season Seven

Buy The Facts of Life - Season Seven on DVD
The Facts of Life - Season Eight

Buy The Facts of Life - Season Eight on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Series

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Series on DVD (Amazon.com)

(Shout! Factory)

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Facts of Life

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: One Day at a Time Is As Charming As Ever in Its 3rd Season; Bounce Acquires Moesha and The Game
HGTV Looking for Brady Fans for A Very Brady Renovation; truTV Sets Date for Tacoma FD Comedy
TBS Gets Nasim Pedrad Comedy; Lucy Liu to Star in Marc Cherry Dark Comedy on CBS All Access
Antenna TV Hears Wedding Bells on Valentine's Day; Comedy Central Gets David Spade Late Night Talk Show
Hallmark Channel Highlights at TCA Winter 2019 Press Tour; HBO's New Comedy Los Espookys and Final Season of Veep
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of February 11, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: ABC Orders Pair of Comedy Pilots; NBC Cancels Hair Musical
Fri-Yay: Modern Family Announces Next Season Will Be Its Last; The Kominsky Method Gets Three Veterans for Season 2


New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February)

Fuller House - The Complete Third Season The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Fourth Season The Game - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fourth Season What I Like About You - The Complete Fourth Season

01/08 - Family Guy - 20 Greatest Hits
01/22 - Fuller House - The Complete Third Season
01/22 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Fourth Season (WBShop.com)
01/29 - Ballers - The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
01/29 - Crashing - The Complete Second Season
01/29 - The Game - The Complete Series
01/29 - Kidding - Season One
02/05 - Family Guy - Part 1 - Volumes 1-5
02/05 - Family Guy - Part 2 - Volumes 6-10
02/05 - Family Guy - Part 3 - Seasons 10-14
02/05 - First Lady of Television - Betty White Collection (40 rare and acclaimed episodes from her early days in television)
02/05 - Mama's Family - Seasons 1-6 - The Complete Series
02/12 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-3 (Blu-ray)
02/12 - Step by Step - The Complete Fourth Season
02/26 - What I Like About You - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


View Poll Results: What do you think of Eddie?
I love him! 0 0%
I like him 2 25.00%
I don't really care one way or the other 2 25.00%
Not a fan 4 50.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-11-2019, 09:47 AM   #31
'80sSitcoms
Member
Senior Member
 
'80sSitcoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 30, 2013
Posts: 4,278
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
I was definitely shocked when I saw the ages of Blair's boyfriends in Season One. At the time Lisa was 16, Blair's boyfriends were about ten years older.
And Blair was 15!
'80sSitcoms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:44 PM   #32
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever
Senior Member
 
RetroGuy2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 27, 2013
Posts: 3,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by '80sSitcoms View Post
And Blair was 15!
Yep. Why would they cast like that?!

...I suspect it's because they never considered that IMDB would be invented in a decade, where anyone could look up an actor's age at the click of a mouse or the swipe of a tablet.
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:13 PM   #33
'80sSitcoms
Member
Senior Member
 
'80sSitcoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 30, 2013
Posts: 4,278
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
Yep. Why would they cast like that?!

...I suspect it's because they never considered that IMDB would be invented in a decade, where anyone could look up an actor's age at the click of a mouse or the swipe of a tablet.
Haha, they thought computers were only for company headquarters and primitive "games".

But, to their credit, I would never have dreamed that some of these "boys" were actually "men"! They were very youthful-looking! lol
'80sSitcoms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:05 PM   #34
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever
Senior Member
 
RetroGuy2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 27, 2013
Posts: 3,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by '80sSitcoms View Post
Haha, they thought computers were only for company headquarters and primitive "games".
Hey, Pong was very popular at the time!

Quote:
But, to their credit, I would never have dreamed that some of these "boys" were actually "men"! They were very youthful-looking! lol
That's true, but still. It's not as if there were no 18-year-old guys in Hollywood looking for work at that time.
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:21 AM   #35
Impressions
She died the way she lived
Senior Member
 
Impressions's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 08, 2002
Posts: 4,232
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
With as little money as he had, where was he supposed to take her? Remember he bought his ring for her at K-Mart on a payment plan. He wasn't exactly rolling in dough. Rewatching the scene where he opens the door to the room, the look on his face wasn't "I'm getting lucky tonight". It was horrid and thankful for a warm place to sleep. The writers were trying to make it as realistic as they could on how troubling it is for teens who want to run off and get married. They don't live it up at places like The Hilton. They're in scuzzy places with dirty sheets like this episode represented, if they're even lucky at all to afford something like that for the night. Jo getting raped by him is something I've never gotten from this episode or from the character Eddie. He never forced her to be with him. He even walked away when he saw she was growing as a person and moved on from him. That's not what a rapist does.
I disagree. I'm not saying it wasn't realistic scenario that teens would find themselves in, I just think it wasn't a very a believable storyline for this show and the way that they portrayed teenage marriage was poorly conceived. I mean, on the contrary, there's really no really good way to portray it, but it could have been better handled with the storyline and the Facts characters.

It felt like a forced "very special" episode. This is the first time we hear of Eddie, and already, he wants to marry Jo? To me, that tells me that Eddie wreaks of desperation and is really not concerned in Jo's best interests. Sure, Jo was a rebel in these early seasons, but it just didn't seem like something Jo would do. Her body language just told me that she didn't want to be there in that motel scene. I also didn't believe that Eddie really loved Jo, maybe it was the actor's performance, their lack of chemistry, or in general his behavior and actions that made me feel this way. Then again, it could have been that he was was much older than Jo, which is why I found his character to be predatory and pedophilic, so that's probably where it crossed my mind that this was not a consensual relationship.

I also don't care if he was low on money, that doesn't excuse for him to act like a total creep or act trashy and take her to a seedy hotel. That's not love, that's a desperate attempt to show affection.

I think if we got to know Eddie as a character better and could better understand and see that there was actual chemistry between them and also, had the writers chose an actor much closer to her in age, it would have been more more believable. Because let's be honest, the writers chose a 22 year old actor with a 15 year old actress? Really? At that point, it's no longer about teenage marriage or eloping, it's about a lack of consent and pedophilia.
Impressions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:58 AM   #36
Christopher
Member
Forum Veteran
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 14, 2001
Posts: 13,688
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impressions View Post
I disagree. I'm not saying it wasn't realistic scenario that teens would find themselves in, I just think it wasn't a very a believable storyline for this show and the way that they portrayed teenage marriage was poorly conceived. I mean, on the contrary, there's really no really good way to portray it, but it could have been better handled with the storyline and the Facts characters.

It felt like a forced "very special" episode. This is the first time we hear of Eddie, and already, he wants to marry Jo? To me, that tells me that Eddie wreaks of desperation and is really not concerned in Jo's best interests. Sure, Jo was a rebel in these early seasons, but it just didn't seem like something Jo would do. Her body language just told me that she didn't want to be there in that motel scene. I also didn't believe that Eddie really loved Jo, maybe it was the actor's performance, their lack of chemistry, or in general his behavior and actions that made me feel this way. Then again, it could have been that he was was much older than Jo, which is why I found his character to be predatory and pedophilic, so that's probably where it crossed my mind that this was not a consensual relationship.

I also don't care if he was low on money, that doesn't excuse for him to act like a total creep or act trashy and take her to a seedy hotel. That's not love, that's a desperate attempt to show affection.

I think if we got to know Eddie as a character better and could better understand and see that there was actual chemistry between them and also, had the writers chose an actor much closer to her in age, it would have been more more believable. Because let's be honest, the writers chose a 22 year old actor with a 15 year old actress? Really? At that point, it's no longer about teenage marriage or eloping, it's about a lack of consent and pedophilia.

Teenage Marriage isn't the first time we hear of Eddie. Eddie was mentioned in Jo's first two episodes. He's the reason Jo was sent to Eastland. She was spending too much time with him and Rose was concerned about that. There's a scene in New Girl part 2 where Jo is holding his picture and Blair teases her about it. So there was a little hearsay backstory to Eddie and Jo before Eddie appeared.

I will give you this. The actor who played Eddie looked like a goofball I think it was his cheeks. He resembled a chipmunk at times. It was hard picturing Jo wanting to be with him, but she was a kid when she met him. At a young age, people are overwhelmed by their emotions. It's very easy for Jo to be head over heels about him, especially if he treated her nice.

Would it have been better if they spent the night at a bus station or a 24 hour store? Did they even have 24 hour stores back then? Thankfully I'm not that old to know Where would you have accepted Eddie taking Jo since he wasn't able to afford better conditions for her? That's one of the aspects teens face when they want to get married and try being adults at their age. I work at a high school and see this so many times. They have no idea the work it takes to be an adult and how easy it is to enjoy kid years without the stress of financial issues.

You and Retro bring up good points about the guys they had the girls date on the show. They were fine with getting female kids to play the parts of the four main, why didn't they feel fine to do so with their dates? I do find that aspect disturbing now that you guys have brought it up.
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:03 AM   #37
Heenan Fan
Member
Senior Member
 
Heenan Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 19, 2016
Posts: 1,135
Default

Nay. All those beautiful girls at Eastland, and he chooses Jo? This schyster was obviously working an angle.
Heenan Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:30 PM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

VigLink badge

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.