Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms Questions and Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-08-2015, 11:49 PM   #76
Jamey Greek
Forum Regular

Passing up a Chevy Chase-Beverly D'Angelo sitcom for Uncle Buck. Are you kidding me? I'd rather watch Chev and Bev than an 80s movie butchering sitcom!
Old 05-09-2015, 12:54 AM   #77
TMC
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamey Greek
Passing up a Chevy Chase-Beverly D'Angelo sitcom for Uncle Buck. Are you kidding me? I'd rather watch Chev and Bev than an 80s movie butchering sitcom!

Like Uncle Buck couldn't sink lower than the first TV adaptation w/ Kevin Meaney!
Old 05-09-2015, 05:30 PM   #78
Jamey Greek
Forum Regular

I know right?
Old 05-11-2015, 03:34 AM   #79
Jamey Greek
Forum Regular

Moving Full House to Tuesday night's. When it was a school night!
Old 05-11-2015, 07:08 AM   #80
Frenky
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Moving Full House to Tuesday night's. When it was a school night!

I think that was done because Who's the Boss has been losing audience and ABC needed something that can attract audience at Tuesday 8pm, it was good move for FH but bad for Friday night, Family Matters wasn't strong as FH.

I don't know if had written this before but biggest mistake for ABC was moving Laverne & Shirley to Thursday night, but still how can #1 show fell below top 30 just because of change of time-slot. Mork & Mindy should have stayed on Thursday 8pm and L&S maybe on Thursday 9pm.

The Ropers - either on Tuesday or Thursday night in S2.

All those changes in late 70s made ABC lose its #1 place.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:10 PM   #81
catsrule
Cat-tastic and Whiskerlicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenky
I think that was done because Who's the Boss has been losing audience and ABC needed something that can attract audience at Tuesday 8pm, it was good move for FH but bad for Friday night, Family Matters wasn't strong as FH.

I don't know if had written this before but biggest mistake for ABC was moving Laverne & Shirley to Thursday night, but still how can #1 show fell below top 30 just because of change of time-slot. Mork & Mindy should have stayed on Thursday 8pm and L&S maybe on Thursday 9pm.

The Ropers - either on Tuesday or Thursday night in S2.

All those changes in late 70s made ABC lose its #1 place.
Laverne and Shirley must have been a timeslot hit being sandwiched between Happy Days and Three's Company. Once moved away from a protected slot it suffered.
MARTIN: As usual Martin has to hear about it.
Is Christ the cornerstone of your life? If not, he should be.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:39 PM   #82
Jamey Greek
Forum Regular

Yea, but in tbe process, Full House killed Quantum Leap.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:48 AM   #83
TMC
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mets82
I thought ESPN getting MNF was good. I thought MNF had gotten stale on ABC and ESPN provided a much needed breath of fresh air.

I can see Zucker's point. I mean you lose the NFL, MLB and then NBA, you figure your teflon. Boy, was he wrong. Just proves how much sports plays a role on network tv.

From page 379 of Dan Rapak's book "Brought to You by . . ."

Quote:
A sports broadcaster that tries to save money by not acquiring rights to sporting events is like an auto maker that tries to save money by not acquiring steel. The short term bottom line looks real good, but before long you look around and realize you have no inventory to sell.

Last edited by TMC : 05-12-2015 at 02:32 AM.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:27 AM   #84
Frenky
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Yea, but in tbe process, Full House killed Quantum Leap.

It didn't, Full House was on Friday 8pm while QL was on Friday 9pm in S1 and Wednesday 10pm in S2, only in S3 and S5 both shows ran against each other.

Rescue 911 didn't have trouble competing with FH.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:49 AM   #85
TMC
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
From page 379 of Dan Rapak's book "Brought to You by . . ."

And speaking of "the bottom-line" regarding ABC under the Disney regime:
Editorial: Eisner strategy won’t save ABC
Old 05-25-2015, 02:27 AM   #86
James28
Michael Jackson - DCS Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenky

I think that would have meant Barney Miller being shifted to Sundays at 8pm. But what do you think about having Laverne & Shirley at 8pm and Mork & Mindy at 9pm if a move like that happened?

#FantasyScheduling
Old 05-25-2015, 07:00 AM   #87
Frenky
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by James28
I think that would have meant Barney Miller being shifted to Sundays at 8pm. But what do you think about having Laverne & Shirley at 8pm and Mork & Mindy at 9pm if a move like that happened?

#FantasyScheduling

My ABC Thursday 1979-80 schedule:

8:00pm - Mork & Mindy
8:30pm - Benson
9:00pm - Laverne & Shirley
9:30pm - The Ropers
10:00pm - 20/20

Barney and Soap on Sunday 8pm.

L&S had no competition on Thursday night, CBS was airing 8th season of The Waltons and NBC sci-fi flop Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, even new comedy Benson managed to land in top 25.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:29 AM   #88
Jamey Greek
Forum Regular

Turning away Gene Rayburn when he auditioned to host Match Game 1990.
Old 06-01-2015, 05:43 PM   #89
mets82

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
Like Uncle Buck couldn't sink lower than the first TV adaptation w/ Kevin Meaney!

Wait, Chevy and Bev were going to have a tv sitcom? I never knew that.

I never saw the Uncle Buck tv show. It was THAT bad???

Also, I would never turn away Gene Rayburn. How do you turn away the guy who helped built the original Match Game??

Please check out my blog. I vent on all things. TV, sports etc. you name it. Its also a work in progress. Check out and see what you think.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:54 AM   #90
Jamey Greek
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mets82
Wait, Chevy and Bev were going to have a tv sitcom? I never knew that.

I never saw the Uncle Buck tv show. It was THAT bad???

Also, I would never turn away Gene Rayburn. How do you turn away the guy who helped built the original Match Game??

Two words: Age discrimination. Rayburn was 72 at the time but could still run circles around the younger hosts!

Also, in their defense about The Chevy Chase-Beverly D'Angelo sitcom, Chevy Chase seemed to not be with the program. If you watched the SNL 40th anniversary special, you'll know what I'm talking about.