Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms Questions and Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Disney to Acquire Much of Fox; Roseanne Debut Date Set for ABC
Fri-Yay: The Year in Sitcoms; NBC Sets Premiere for A.P. Bio
MeTV January 2018 Schedule Has Diff'rent Strokes; HBO Hit Comedy Returns for 2nd Year
getTV Acquires Norman Lear Sitcoms; Comedy Central Gets Scripted Comedy
Brooklyn Nine-Nine Starts on TBS Jan. 4; Fuller House Season 3, Part 2 Premieres Just in Time for the Holidays!
American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-20-2017, 11:06 AM   #376
danderson400
Forum Regular

I wonder if NBC would have made a preemptive move to grab The Price is Right from CBS? If so, that creates a pretty good lineup.
10am The Price is Right
11am Wheel of Fortune
11:30 Scruples
Old 09-25-2017, 09:44 PM   #377
danderson400
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnnbcbs
Keeping Another World at 2pm after Texas was cancelled. AW was never successful at 2pm, all of its success in the 70s was in the 3:00 hour. Santa Barbara probably would've weathered better at 2pm sandwiched between the established Days of Our Lives and AW.

NBC Daytime passing on Scruples in 1982. The Scruples mini-series was a ratings-getter in prime-time and a daytime continuation/adaptation was pitched. I would've had Scruples replace Texas instead of a forgettable block of game shows. Scruples could've aired at 2, 3 or as a half-hour at 11:30 after Wheel.

NBC also considered moving Flamingo Road to daytime around the same time. That would've been difficult because that show had 'prime-time' people in key roles that would be lost in the move to five-day-a-week daytime.

Passing on the Teen Titans in 1983 and X-Men in 1989. Teen Titans would've gelled well in the late-morning with Mister T and Kidd Video. The 1989 X-Men cartoon had a nice animation and a better cast than the 1992 Fox Kids series. I would've picked up X-Men instead of Karate Kid or pair X-Men with Karate Kid and reduce the disappointing, final season of Smurfs to 30-minutes.

Not sure how my NBC affiliate might have handled X-Men, given that they still had wrestling on Saturday mornings. Maybe they would have aired the wrestling after SNL or aired X-Men in a earlier slot.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:20 PM   #378
mets82

There was wrestling on your local NBC affiliate? What was it?

Please check out my blog. I vent on all things. TV, sports etc. you name it. Its also a work in progress. Check out and see what you think.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:39 PM   #379
TMC
Forum Celebrity

"Megyn Kelly Today" Is Not Going Well

A Partial Autopsy of Megyn Kelly's First Week on NBC's Today Show

Last edited by TMC : 10-02-2017 at 02:59 AM.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:23 PM   #380
Steve M.
Forum Celebrity
Holding the compass

divesting from sitcoms after "Friends" and "Frasier" ended their runs and stuffing the schedule with reality shows, hence the 2004-05 season landed NBC in the basement for, as it turned out, nine seasons

Miscellaneous Musings

Pictures of Beautiful Women

WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE:

REPUBLICAN GOVERNORS CHRIS CHRISTIE - SCOTT WALKER - RICK SNYDER - JOHN KASICH - RICK SCOTT - PAUL LEPAGE

ON THE CHARGE OF IMPERSONATING AN OFFICE!!
Old 10-02-2017, 12:31 AM   #381
Jamey Greek
Forum Regular

Canceling you don't say in the late 60s when Tom Kennedy and his family just moved into a new house
Old 10-02-2017, 10:28 AM   #382
Steve M.
Forum Celebrity
Holding the compass

Making KYW-TV (on Channel 3) its Philadelphia affiliate. When I was a kid, living in southeastern Pennsylvania, KYW would show local programming in prime time, so some of NBC shows were either aired on another Philadelphia channel or not aired in Philly at all. WCAU-TV (on Channel 10) was the CBS affiliate in Philadelphia. In the mid-nineties, the two stations switched networks.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:41 PM   #383
70s show watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M.
divesting from sitcoms after "Friends" and "Frasier" ended their runs and stuffing the schedule with reality shows, hence the 2004-05 season landed NBC in the basement for, as it turned out, nine seasons
i agree 100 percent i am so glad that the jeff zucker manging for margibs era is over and that nbc under robert greeenblatt jennifer salke abd ther team really seems to be turning things around
Old 10-02-2017, 09:29 PM   #384
Steve M.
Forum Celebrity
Holding the compass

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70s show watcher
i agree 100 percent i am so glad that the jeff zucker manging for margibs era is over and that nbc under robert greeenblatt jennifer salke abd ther team really seems to be turning things around

Special thanks to Dan Fogelman for "This Is Us."
Old 10-03-2017, 08:42 PM   #385
Jamey Greek
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danderson400
I wonder if NBC would have made a preemptive move to grab The Price is Right from CBS? If so, that creates a pretty good lineup.
10am The Price is Right
11am Wheel of Fortune
11:30 Scruples

I think at one point Mark Goodson threatened to move TPIR to NBC
Old 10-04-2017, 11:46 PM   #386
cnnbcbs
Frequent Poster

^^^ That would've been cool.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:27 PM   #387
TMC
Forum Celebrity

EXCLUSIVE: NBC's '$69 MILLION mistake!' Network execs slam floundering Megyn Kelly as they reveal she is making $23M yearly in a three-year deal

Here are the factors to why NBC wanted her
  • Attacked by Trump and was given sympathy card. Played the damsel in distress role. Mainstream media ate it up.
    Increase star power at NBC. Andy Lack wanted a well known presence on NBC.
    Try to get conservative viewership. NBC wants to get conservative viewers to their network and they though Megyn's work at FOX would work in getting them there.
    Asthetics, blonde, well spoken and outspoken
    Possibly being groomed to replace Matt Lauer or Savannah Guthrie. Today Show's ratings are on the decline they want to slowly push some of the hosts out.

Last edited by TMC : 10-06-2017 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:47 PM   #388
glickmam
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M.
Making KYW-TV (on Channel 3) its Philadelphia affiliate. When I was a kid, living in southeastern Pennsylvania, KYW would show local programming in prime time, so some of NBC shows were either aired on another Philadelphia channel or not aired in Philly at all. WCAU-TV (on Channel 10) was the CBS affiliate in Philadelphia. In the mid-nineties, the two stations switched networks.

Actually, KYW was not alone in preempting programming. All stations owned by Westinghouse Broadcasting at the time, like KYW, preempted certain hours of programming content, in favor of local or syndicated programming. Personally, I actually somewhat like it when network affiliates preempt certain hours of network programs in favor of local content, as it shows that they actually care about what goes on in their communities and don't just think about trying to be a generic station that only shows syndicated programming outside of network hours.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:00 PM   #389
Steve M.
Forum Celebrity
Holding the compass

Quote:
Originally Posted by glickmam
Actually, KYW was not alone in preempting programming. All stations owned by Westinghouse Broadcasting at the time, like KYW, preempted certain hours of programming content, in favor of local or syndicated programming. Personally, I actually somewhat like it when network affiliates preempt certain hours of network programs in favor of local content, as it shows that they actually care about what goes on in their communities and don't just think about trying to be a generic station that only shows syndicated programming outside of network hours.

There was this one NBC show on Tuesday nights I always wanted to watch that was pre-empted by KYW and thus shown in the Philadelphia area on a local UHF station on Sunday evenings before prime time. It was almost impossible to catch it then. This was in the late 1970s, before VCRs. The show was canceled after one season, so ultimately it didn't matter. Still, the local UHF station should have been the one involved with local programming.
Old 10-29-2017, 06:05 AM   #390
simmytbone

Here's another one

NBC not pickin' up Good Morning Miss Bliss after The Facts of Life was cancelled and The Disney Channel picked up the show and then, NBC picked up the show and was retooled to Saved by the Bell

I use to watch SBTB back in the day and even TBS & WGN aired'em in reruns, but now, I don't hardly watch it anymore as I thought that the show is overrated (along with The Cosby Show)

another BIG Mess-Up was lettin' Saved by the Bell lasted as long as it did even after 1993 with The College Years which lasted only 1 season thanks to Warren Littlefield putting the show on Prime Time on Tuesday Nights competing against Full House & Rescue 911 and then adding The New Class which aired for 7 seasons was another big mistake

I mean, Season 1 was more like a clone to the Original Series and then, when The New Class was renewed for a 2nd Season, Screech returns to Bayside and becomes the Administrative Assistant to Mr. Belding and they turned Screech & Belding into more of a Modern Day Laurel & Hardy

Not to mention, they were changing too many characters

also, the same thing can be said about Hang Time

I enjoyed the very 1st season, it was the best, but then, when Peter Engel producer of Saved by the Bell, California Dreams and City Guys took over as Executive Producer, they introduced us to the Stadium and the Basketball Jerseys have changed

Even though Season 2 was cool, Season 3 was okay, but not the best, Season 4 I liked better than Season 3 mainly b/c of Rico, Hammer & Silk, but the last 2 seasons was HORRIBLE

Plus, the show Jumped the Shark if you will when Reggie Theus left the show and was replaced by Dick Butkus

Plus, I wasn't sold on Michael Manning being hooked up with Julie Connor, after they broke up, I was SO happy about it, but then by Season 5, they got back together....BIG MISTAKE

Not to mention, they wrote off Amy Wright and Josh Sanders as like they didn't exist

Atlanta Falcons: RISE UP