Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Lifetime Site / Lifetime Schedule / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Brooklyn Nine-Nine Starts on TBS Jan. 4; Fuller House Season 3, Part 2 Premieres Just in Time for the Holidays!
American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Pilot Season at Amazon to Come to an End?; CBS Plans "Winter Games" with Celebrity Big Brother
Fri-Yay: Search Party, Creating a New Kind of Sitcom; Remembering Jim Nabors, MeTV and Decades TV Network to Pay Tribute
ABC Faves Head to Hulu; SMILF Gets 2nd Season on Showtime

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-29-2014, 12:52 PM   #16
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

It's kind of odd, but back in the late 60's to early 90's it was a hotly contested debate as to whether or not Weiss was responsible for Long's death. It seems like since then it has been universally accepted that Weiss was the assassin.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:13 PM   #17
justins5256

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
It's kind of odd, but back in the late 60's to early 90's it was a hotly contested debate as to whether or not Weiss was responsible for Long's death. It seems like since then it has been universally accepted that Weiss was the assassin.

I don't know that it has always been so much a mystery. Granted, I don't know a ton about this, but according to wikki (last time I checked) there were witnesses who reported that Weiss did shoot Long, and that the alternate theories fly in the face of eyewitness testimony.

To play devil's advocate though, there are people who claim that a second gunman unloaded on RFK, yet, in an extremely and tightly packed room, no one saw that occur.

I used to have a book I bought in Washington DC over 20 years ago that had psychological profiles of several assassins and would-be assassins. The author was a psychologist and he broke them down in to categories based on what he thought they suffered from, or what their motives were.

The only two he couldn't "profile" were James Earl Ray and Carl Weiss. But, there has always been a lot of doubt about whether they were guilty anyway.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:58 PM   #18
LilMissKryssy
Forum Regular
" & every sinner has a future"

Well the problem with history in certain cases is the accused goes down in history as the assassin as if he were tried and convicted. Lee Harvey Oswald never got a trial and neither did the man who killed him. Any they really had no evidence that would hold any water in a court of law to convict someone of murder. I'm by no means a "conspiracy theorist" in general but I will always believe he was a patsy. Also, the family of Martin Luther won a wrongful death civil suit again the US government in 1999. So, back to the whole Weiss/Long, the problem is Weiss never got a trial as he was killed too. To me, unless its proven beyond a reasonable doubt in a trial that is open to the public (not behind closed doors), its not fair for anyone to go down as the assassin period. Could Weiss have done it? Yes, but it really doesn't make sense that he went there to kill him intentionally. I confrontation could've got out of hand. Who knows but like I said I have a problem when the accused dies at the incident or just after and never gets their day in court.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:04 PM   #19
LilMissKryssy
Forum Regular

Sorry about the spelling errors, it was on my phone lol
Old 10-29-2014, 04:29 PM   #20
irehtman

It reminds of that Harvey Milk assassination.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:54 AM   #21
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by justins5256
I don't know that it has always been so much a mystery. Granted, I don't know a ton about this, but according to wikki (last time I checked) there were witnesses who reported that Weiss did shoot Long, and that the alternate theories fly in the face of eyewitness testimony.

This was even contested shortly after Long was shot. An insurance investigator looking into Long's death concluded (despite testimony from bodyguards of Long) that Long's death was accidental, and the result of his trigger happy bodyguards. That was pretty telling considering this investigation was the most thorough at the time (Long pretty much controlled the state, so it wouldn't be that hard for there to be some sort of coverup).

Quote:
Originally Posted by justins5256
I used to have a book I bought in Washington DC over 20 years ago that had psychological profiles of several assassins and would-be assassins. The author was a psychologist and he broke them down in to categories based on what he thought they suffered from, or what their motives were.

I've read two Huey Long assassination books (one was a staunch defender of Weiss the other was more balanced in terms of whether or not Weiss was guilty), and both reference the fact that Weiss had made plans on installing a floor heater later in the week as well as phoning a patient of his approximately 20 minutes before he left for the capitol building to make sure their appointment for the next day was still on. This doesn't strike me as an enraged man bent on assassination. It seems like Weiss had every intention of returning to his home after he left for the capitol building.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:17 AM   #22
LilMissKryssy
Forum Regular

Cars, I agree with you. Also, it would've been a disadvantage to the insurance company to find it as an accident anyways (as there was a double indemnity clause, so they had to pay double if it was ruled an accident.)

In all probability Weiss went to talk to Long on behalf of his father in law. Given the security that night, I double he brought his gun with him rather left it in the car. Also, he was wearing a white suit, not very good at concealing a weapon. Long, who was known as abrasive and obnoxious, probably said something nasty or insulting to Weiss at some point and a physical confrontation occurred. Weiss maybe getting the better of Long and the bodyguards (untrained) started recklessly shooting at Weiss. Long was hit. His doctors missed a critical wound and he died.

I sincerely doubt Weiss ever went there with the intention to kill Long. 1) He would've also had to be suicidal given the security measures. 2)Nothing points to him not planning on resuming his life the next day. If anything if was a fight that got out of hand (most likely bc of the bodyguards)
Old 11-20-2017, 06:02 PM   #23
Spanish Lotto
Frequent Poster

It was a bodyguard. The gun being found with a used she'll that did not match the gun tells me the investigators tampered with the evidence.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:54 AM   #24
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

When they did the autopsy on Weiss in the 90's, there was a bullet hole to the head that had white cloth in it. They surmised that as Weiss was being shot by Long's bodyguards, he reached his arm up in a defensive position and the bullet shot through his arm and into his head, which is where the cloth came from. If Weiss was armed, why would he feel the need to put his arm up into a defensive position instead of unloading his gun at the bodyguards?
Old 11-21-2017, 07:05 AM   #25
Spanish Lotto
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
When they did the autopsy on Weiss in the 90's, there was a bullet hole to the head that had white cloth in it. They surmised that as Weiss was being shot by Long's bodyguards, he reached his arm up in a defensive position and the bullet shot through his arm and into his head, which is where the cloth came from. If Weiss was armed, why would he feel the need to put his arm up into a defensive position instead of unloading his gun at the bodyguards?
Good info. Exactly. I feel bad for his family. No one wants to be the widow or kids of an assassin. But, to be viewed as that and it not be true to begin with is horrible!
Old 11-21-2017, 08:07 AM   #26
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

There was a documentary that came out about 3 years ago called "61 Bullets". I can't seem to find an actual release of this or where it's for sale anywhere. But the trailer is up on the forbidden site and it looks really interesting.
Old 11-24-2017, 03:14 PM   #27
jOHnNyD
Occasional Poster

I always thought this one was unintentionally funny. Clearly Huey Long was a raging megalomaniac and tyrant. His entourage seemed like they were on constant edge around him, so when Weiss finally snapped at this pile, this unstable group of scared yesmen reacted in that mode. I will say the cinomentography in this episode is amongst the best however.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:55 AM   #28
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jOHnNyD
I will say the cinomentography in this episode is amongst the best however.

Agreed. Also think it's one of the best acted segments.