Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Three's Company (Sitcoms Online) / PB's Three's Company Page: Jack's Bistro / Three's Company links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Three's Company Photo Gallery

Three's Company - Season 1

Buy Three's Company - Season 1 on DVD
Three's Company - Season 2

Buy Three's Company - Season 2 on DVD
Three's Company - Season 3

Buy Three's Company - Season 3 on DVD
Three's Company - Season 4

Buy Three's Company - Season 4 on DVD
Three's Company - Season 5

Buy Three's Company - Season 5 on DVD
Three's Company - Season 6

Buy Three's Company - Season 6 on DVD
Three's Company - Season 7

Buy Three's Company - Season 7 on DVD
Three's Company - Season 8

Buy Three's Company - Season 8 on DVD
Three's Company - Capturing the Laughter - Jack's Favroties

Buy Three's Company - Capturing the Laughter - Jack's Favorites on DVD
Three's Company - Capturing the Laughter - Janet's Favroties

Buy Three's Company - Capturing the Laughter - Janet's Favorites on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Three's Company
User Name
Password

Headlines / New on DVD/Blu-ray
SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines:

CBS Midseason Pilot Review: Bad Teacher - Premieres Thursday, April 24; Rookie Blue Coming to ION Television in Fall 2014
Bill Cosby to Be Honored with Johnny Carson Award; SNL Celebrates 40th Anniversary in 2015
Sullivan & Son Returns with All-Star Guests; George Lopez Developing Animated Series
Review of Tonight's Devious Maids Premiere; Week 30 TV Ratings and Analysis; How the Sitcoms Did
SitcomsOnline Digest: SNL Looking to 40th Anniversary; New Mill Creek DVD Releases
The CW Summer 2014 Schedule; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of April 21, 2014)
Episodic Review: Community - "Basic Sandwich" Airing Tonight on NBC; FX Orders 3rd Season of The Americans, Solid Start for Fargo

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April)

The Class - The Complete Series Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season Anger Management - Volume Three The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fourth Season Petticoat Junction - The Official Third Season Newhart - The Complete Third Season

04/01 - The Class - The Complete Series
04/01 - The Cosby Show - Seasons 3 and 4 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - The Dick Van Dyke Show - Classic Mary Tyler Moore Episodes
04/01 - I Dream of Jeannie - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - Married with Children - Seasons 3 and 4 (Mill Creek)
04/01 - NewsRadio - Seasons 1 and 2 (Mill Creek)
04/08 - Holliston - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
04/08 - Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season
04/15 - Anger Management - Volume Three (Blu-ray)
04/15 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fourth Season
04/15 - Petticoat Junction - The Official First and Second Seasons
04/15 - Petticoat Junction - The Official Third Season
04/22 - Newhart - The Complete Third Season
04/29 - Dynasty - The Eighth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-04-2013, 09:50 PM   #31
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroTVfan4ever
I watched Lee Aint Heavy also, and I didn't notice anyplace where something might be cut, nothing looks unusual, everything seems to be there. So I'll go with the assumption that the episode is complete and just runs a tad short. The only known edit in the season 4 DVD is the missing tag scene from Ralph's Rival. I believe the other episodes are all complete.

All it takes it one edited episode to believe that other eps may have been cut too.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:42 AM   #32
Colonel Hogan
Frequent Poster

For those of you that own all the sets, is it only Season 4 that has edit(s)? Are all other seasons from Seasons 5-8 consistent in their run time? I have 1-3 and they seemed complete with fairly consistent 25+ minute running times. Like TVFactFan, I get suspicious when suddenly, after consistently 25+ minute times, you get the 24:?? episode.

Last edited by Colonel Hogan : 01-31-2014 at 07:20 AM.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:15 PM   #33
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breather
For those of you that own all the sets, is it only Season 4 that has edit(s)? Are all other seasons from Seasons 5-8 consistent in their run time? I have 1-3 and they seemed complete with fairly consistent 25+ minute running times. Like TVFactFan, I get suspicious when suddenly, after consistently 25+ minute times, you get the 24:?? episode.

Yes season 4 is the only one who has edits. Mighty Mouth and Ralph Rivals
Old 01-31-2014, 11:50 PM   #34
Colonel Hogan
Frequent Poster

Thanks for the information. I hate edited episodes but I'm glad it's only 2 episodes out of 8 seasons. I was concerned about the episode "Lee Ain't Heavy..." because I came across a thread on here where you or another poster mentioned its under 25-minute run time. It's good to know that it's not edited.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:04 AM   #35
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Thanks for the information. I hate edited episodes but I'm glad it's only 2 episodes out of 8 seasons. I was concerned about the episode "Lee Ain't Heavy..." because I came across a thread on here where you or another poster mentioned its under 25-minute run time. It's good to know that it's not edited.

I knew right away that Ralph's Rival was edited because the Tag scene was missing
Old 02-02-2014, 03:55 AM   #36
Colonel Hogan
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFactFan
I knew right away that Ralph's Rival was edited because the Tag scene was missing

That's a shame that was left off. I found a thread here where a member, Mr.Pitt, posted that transcript and he said the audio was bad. It's odd that all the other episodes have their tag scenes and just that one was missing. It almost makes you wonder if Anchor Bay used the original ABC masters? Unless the tag was on the master they used and its audio is damaged even on that source, and they didn't want to invest the time or money to improve it. Although, if it's damaged on the original master, it may not be repairable. I still wish we would have got it, crackling audio and all.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:08 PM   #37
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
That's a shame that was left off. I found a thread here where a member, Mr.Pitt, posted that transcript and he said the audio was bad. It's odd that all the other episodes have their tag scenes and just that one was missing. It almost makes you wonder if Anchor Bay used the original ABC masters? Unless the tag was on the master they used and its audio is damaged even on that source, and they didn't want to invest the time or money to improve it. Although, if it's damaged on the original master, it may not be repairable. I still wish we would have got it, crackling audio and all.

I know it sucked that out of all the eps on the DVD, ralph's rival was the only one with the missing tag scene
Old 02-03-2014, 06:10 AM   #38
Colonel Hogan
Frequent Poster

Quote:
I know it sucked that out of all the eps on the DVD, ralph's rival was the only one with the missing tag scene

I went back today and watched the 6-episode Season 1 DVD. None of those episodes have tag scenes except "Roper's Niece" and almost all of them run in the 24-minute range instead of the 25+ minute range.

Are they definitely uncut? It's strange that only one Season 1 episode would have a tag scene, and also runs only 24:?? as well. The running times seem 30 to 60 seconds shorter than the Seasons 2 and 3 episodes too. Usually, TV networks sell a finite number of minutes in ads to be run in a television show. That's why many shows on DVD have such consistent running times. When I start seeing episodes that are more than 10 seconds off, I start to wonder about edits.

You mentioned only two episodes being uncut. I've been reading through the Three's Company and The Ropers threads here during the last few days. In one thread, you or someone else mentioned the shorter running time of "Lee Ain't Heavy...". I just came across an old thread in The Ropers section here. In it, you mention having an ABC version of "Lee Ain't Heavy" on VHS. You were talking to someone about a trade. Just for the heck of it, have you ever compared your ABC recording to the DVD since the DVD version has that shorter run time compared to many other episodes?

Finally, I realize The Ropers has never had an official DVD release. Is there anywhere that I can find all the episodes, uncut from their original airings, on DVD-r?
Old 02-03-2014, 01:13 PM   #39
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
I went back today and watched the 6-episode Season 1 DVD. None of those episodes have tag scenes except "Roper's Niece" and almost all of them run in the 24-minute range instead of the 25+ minute range.

Are they definitely uncut? It's strange that only one Season 1 episode would have a tag scene, and also runs only 24:?? as well. The running times seem 30 to 60 seconds shorter than the Seasons 2 and 3 episodes too. Usually, TV networks sell a finite number of minutes in ads to be run in a television show. That's why many shows on DVD have such consistent running times. When I start seeing episodes that are more than 10 seconds off, I start to wonder about edits.

You mentioned only two episodes being uncut. I've been reading through the Three's Company and The Ropers threads here during the last few days. In one thread, you or someone else mentioned the shorter running time of "Lee Ain't Heavy...". I just came across an old thread in The Ropers section here. In it, you mention having an ABC version of "Lee Ain't Heavy" on VHS. You were talking to someone about a trade. Just for the heck of it, have you ever compared your ABC recording to the DVD since the DVD version has that shorter run time compared to many other episodes?

Finally, I realize The Ropers has never had an official DVD release. Is there anywhere that I can find all the episodes, uncut from their original airings, on DVD-r?

Ropers used to air on Antenna TV in 2012 but they removed it. It's available on the trading board but not sure if it's uncut. It's been so long since I had that ABC episode that I don't remember. I think that was in 2005
Old 02-03-2014, 11:23 PM   #40
Colonel Hogan
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Ropers used to air on Antenna TV in 2012 but they removed it. It's available on the trading board but not sure if it's uncut. It's been so long since I had that ABC episode that I don't remember. I think that was in 2005

Oh, I didn't realize you got rid of that tape. Time flies. 2005 doesn't seem like 9 years ago already.

I'm wondering on those Season 1 episodes now. Maybe we'll come across someone with the ABC airings on those so we can find out for sure if they're complete. The lack of tag scenes on 5 out of 6 and shorter run times have made me suspicious.

I'm going to go back and check the run times of those 6. If they're consistent with each other, the shorter run times compared to Season 2-onward could be explained away by this theory: a new, unproven show getting a small, 6-episode order from the network; the network's desire to keep costs to a minimum on an unproven show leads them to sell an extra minute of advertising per episode compared to typical 70's run times, and thus, shorter episodes. An extra 60 seconds of ad time is a significant difference in revenue for a network. Maybe wishful thinking on my part, but it sounds good.

Last edited by Colonel Hogan : 02-04-2014 at 12:06 AM.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:02 AM   #41
Colonel Hogan
Frequent Poster

Here are the running times on the Season 1 episodes:
  • A Man About The House (24:08)
  • And Mother Makes Four (24:52)
  • Roper's Niece* (24:17)
  • No Children, No Dogs (24:25)
  • Jack The Giant Killer (24:17)
  • It's Only Money (24:26)

*Roper's Niece is the only episode of the 6 with a tag scene, yet its run time is consistent with all but "And Mother Makes Four".

Five of the six episodes have a run time difference of 18 seconds or less, with two being identical and two being within 1 second of each other. The outlier is the second episode "And Mother Makes Four", which is 44 seconds longer than the first episode and is the only one not consistent with the others. With the exception of "And Mother...", these episodes average almost a 1 minute difference in run times compared to Seasons 2 and 3, which I have.

The run times I've posted include the DLT logo at the end. In case anyone ever turns up the ABC airings and wants to compare, the DLT logo adds only 6 seconds to the run time.

Conclusion: I don't know. The lack of tag scenes on all but Roper's Niece and the big difference compared to "And Mother Makes Four" kind of leads me to think edited. Maybe Anchor Bay wasn't sure how they would sell so they initially looked for a cheap source for the episodes. To tell you the truth, I'm not sure at all.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:22 AM   #42
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Here are the running times on the Season 1 episodes:
  • A Man About The House (24:08)
  • And Mother Makes Four (24:52)
  • Roper's Niece* (24:17)
  • No Children, No Dogs (24:25)
  • Jack The Giant Killer (24:17)
  • It's Only Money (24:26)

*Roper's Niece is the only episode of the 6 with a tag scene, yet its run time is consistent with all but "And Mother Makes Four".

Five of the six episodes have a run time difference of 18 seconds or less, with two being identical and two being within 1 second of each other. The outlier is the second episode "And Mother Makes Four", which is 44 seconds longer than the first episode and is the only one not consistent with the others. With the exception of "And Mother...", these episodes average almost a 1 minute difference in run times compared to Seasons 2 and 3, which I have.

The run times I've posted include the DLT logo at the end. In case anyone ever turns up the ABC airings and wants to compare, the DLT logo adds only 6 seconds to the run time.

Conclusion: I don't know. The lack of tag scenes on all but Roper's Niece and the big difference compared to "And Mother Makes Four" kind of leads me to think edited. Maybe Anchor Bay wasn't sure how they would sell so they initially looked for a cheap source for the episodes. To tell you the truth, I'm not sure at all.

Did you buy the season 1 DVD that is show above?
Old 02-04-2014, 12:57 AM   #43
Colonel Hogan
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Did you buy the season 1 DVD that is show above?

Yeah, on release day all those years ago. It's got the little, 4-page slip inside with the publicity shots and episode screenshots mixed in.

I bought the first 3 seasons on their respective release dates years ago and then a new girlfriend distracted me and I never picked up the final 5 seasons. We'd watch the reruns on TV almost nightly and back in 2009, I found all the thicker style sets of 4-8, new for $15 each. She talked me out of it. To this day, I can't believe I listened to her. Now I'm rounding up the final 5 and I want the same, thicker case. I've found 7 and 8 easily but 4-6 are proving more difficult in the thicker style.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:29 PM   #44
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Yeah, on release day all those years ago. It's got the little, 4-page slip inside with the publicity shots and episode screenshots mixed in.

I bought the first 3 seasons on their respective release dates years ago and then a new girlfriend distracted me and I never picked up the final 5 seasons. We'd watch the reruns on TV almost nightly and back in 2009, I found all the thicker style sets of 4-8, new for $15 each. She talked me out of it. To this day, I can't believe I listened to her. Now I'm rounding up the final 5 and I want the same, thicker case. I've found 7 and 8 easily but 4-6 are proving more difficult in the thicker style.

It's on ebay
Old 02-05-2014, 03:56 AM   #45
Colonel Hogan
Frequent Poster

Quote:
It's on ebay

Yeah, I found 7 and 8 on there and grabbed those. I'm looking for new and sealed. When it comes to the thicker style sets on 4-6, so far I've had less luck. I've found those used in the thick style and plenty of new copies that use stock photos that don't make it obvious whether it's the thick or the thin set. I've emailed two sellers selling new copies of 4 and 6 with stock photos, asking which packaging they have. Not a single response yet.