Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms Questions and Discussion

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: An Appreciation for Mike Schur's Comedies; IFC Acquires Pee-wee's Playhouse
Drunk History and Corporate Return in January; Jim Gaffigan Returns with Comedy Central Special
The Dick Van Dyke Show and I Love Lucy in Color on Dec. 14; The CW Sets January 2019 Premiere Dates
getTV 2018 Holiday Marathons Schedule; truTV Comedy Returns for 3rd Season
Freeform and ABC's 2018 25 Days of Christmas Schedule; The CW Orders Full Seasons of All Freshman Series
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 12, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Vanessa Bayer Set to Co-Create and Star in Showtime Comedy; Orange is the New Black Sequel in Discussions

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)

The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection Alice - The Complete Eighth Season Step by Step - The Complete Third Season

10/02 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 6th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 7th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 8th Season
10/02 - Ghosted - The Complete First Season
10/02 - The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One / Volume Two
10/02 - Police Squad! - TV and Movie Collection
10/02 - Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection
10/16 - Community - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/23 - Alice - The Complete Eighth Season
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Two
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Three
10/31 - The Bad News Bears - The Complete Series - All 26 Episodes
11/01 - Episodes - Season 5
11/05 - Robin Williams - Comic Genius (includes Mork & Mindy)
11/06 - American Dad! - Volume 13
11/20 - Step by Step - The Complete Third Season
11/27 - What I Like About You - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-16-2017, 05:56 PM   #196
jimpickens
Forum Regular

Where's Ted Nugent when you need him.
jimpickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:55 AM   #197
Mario500
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsrule
I don't think that is CBS. Bob Barker hates a lot of the models that were on his show and refuses to let it be seen again.
What gave you this idea?
Mario500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:02 AM   #198
Mario500
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamey Greek
He's an ******* and also his hang-ups on animal rights.
Terrible comment.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:04 AM   #199
Mario500
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtfromPitts
I second that about Barker and his animal rights stand. Wish someone would challenge him on that.
Could you explain the reason for this comment?
Old 08-17-2017, 10:26 AM   #200
catsrule
Cat-tastic and Whiskerlicious
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario500
What gave you this idea?
I used to be a member of the GSN boards. This topic came up a few times about Bob Barker's control issues.
FRASIER: As usual Frasier has to save the day.
MARTIN: As usual Martin has to hear about it.
Is Christ the cornerstone of your life? If not, he should be.

catsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:34 AM   #201
Mario500
Forum Regular

^He may had not liked some of them (most likely the ones who sued him), but I do not believe he "hated a lot of them". I also do not believe he would want certain editions of the program banned from being seen again because of some of these "models" (I had always preferred to call them "helpers").
Old 09-09-2017, 12:27 PM   #202
Jamey Greek
Forum Regular

Hiring Phyllis George for CBS Morning News and passing over qualified candidates in Jane Wallace and Meredith Vierira. Kurtis and George didn't have chemistry on the air and there was a big debacle in her interview with a false accuser of rape and her accusee
Old 09-09-2017, 12:28 PM   #203
Jamey Greek
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtfromPitts
I second that about Barker and his animal rights stand. Wish someone would challenge him on that.
Betty White did in 2009. Over an Elephant. He wanted that elephant moved near the San Andreas fault line so it could have fun with the earthquakes while Betty believed in building a bigger cage for it.
Jamey Greek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:10 PM   #204
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamey Greek
Hiring Phyllis George for CBS Morning News and passing over qualified candidates in Jane Wallace and Meredith Vierira. Kurtis and George didn't have chemistry on the air and there was a big debacle in her interview with a false accuser of rape and her accusee
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSrxWm8JQAo

http://tv.avclub.com/cbs-this-morning-1798171137

Quote:
This actually established a pattern at CBS, where the news division would do the best it could to turn out a program worthy of the memories of Edward R. Murow and Walter Cronkite with what it had to work with, and then, periodically, some higher-up who seemed to have never met a woman but had been told that they class up a joint, and also that women watch TV and like to watch shows featuring members of their own gender, would put out a press release announcing that they were bringing a woman on board. Although CBS has had access to a fair number of intelligent, ambitious, and talented TV journalists who happened to be women, the woman hired to make the morning shows more like Today have tended to be women who have distinguished themselves in other fields. For instance, the biggest "get" in the time slot's history since Sally Quinn was Phyllis George, who joined the show in 1985, at a time when her greatest accomplishments included winning the Miss America pageant and not throwing up while sitting next to Jimmy the Greek. George's tenure is best remembered for her interview with Gary Dotson, a man who had just been released from prison after serving six years on the basis of a false charge of rape, and Cathleen Crowell, the woman who had accused him when she was sixteen and then recanted. The atmosphere in that room must have been pretty tense, but George smiled all the way through the interview and seemed to get through it without anything too embarrassing or awkward. An entire nation sighed in relief. Then George leaned in and, her smile going nuclear, said to Dotson and Crowell, "How about a hug?"

On the day that Phyllis George was practicing relationship counseling between two people whose most fervent shared hope must have been that neither of them would ever be reminded again of the other's existence, the show was called CBS Morning News.
By the time Gumbel took the reins, it was called The Early Show, the title that it stuck with up to the end of last week. (Gumbel left in 2002. After he was gone, the show settled into a not unpleasant, snoozy groove, practically making a solemn vow that it would only make news if someone who had just been voted off Survivor showed up for his interview drunk.) As of this past Monday, when it kicked off its latest reboot, it is called CBS This Morning. But whatever you call it, it always feels like the latest tinkering with the same basic commodity, with the same built-in contradiction: the new division wants to do solid, hard-news show, so they can hold their heads high when they're with their drinking buddies, and the people who sign their checks want a show that can compete with the happy-happy-joy-joy shows on NBC and ABC. The desire to find a compromise is the same impulse that led to the hiring of Katie Couric to anchor the CBS Evening News. If that show was a disappointment for all involved, it's not so much because of anything Couric did wrong but because nobody could figure out a way to make a network evening news broadcast relevant in the era of the Internet and 24-hour cable news channels. (Though it might have helped if CBS News weren't ridiculously underfunded, which means that it might have helped if Couric had told the network, "That's okay, I don't really need fifteen million dollars a year to live on, why don't you take most of that and plow it into correspondents and research teams and overseas bureaus—which I guess means there was something she could have done.)
Phyllis George Resigns Post On `Morning News`

PHYLLIS GEORGE QUITS 'CBS MORNING NEWS'

Invitation to a Hug Phyllis George's Gaffe With Dotson &

Cbs And Phyllis George: It Just Didn't Work Out

Phyllis George, the former Miss America whose eight months...

'Incredibly Poor Taste' : Suggestion To Embrace Puts George On Hot Seat
TMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:06 AM   #205
Jamey Greek
Forum Regular

-replacing WKRP with House Calls. 9:30 was the perfect time slot for it on Monday's to boot. CBS should have kept WKRP on Monday's.

- passing over bachelor at law a show with Harold Gould and John Ritter in what would have been his first breakout role. For a show called Roll Out. Roll out lasted thirteen weeks and was replaced by Good Times. John Ritter eventually got his breakout role as Jack Tripper in Three's Company
Old 09-17-2017, 01:21 AM   #206
cnnbcbs
Frequent Poster

Cancelling Evening Shade when it was still in the top 30. The ugliness surrounding the Burt Reynolds-Loni Anderson divorce caused both their shows to be cancelled that year. Over on NBC, Nurses actually built-on its Empty Nest lead-in that season.

Last edited by cnnbcbs; 09-17-2017 at 02:15 AM.
cnnbcbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 02:14 AM   #207
cnnbcbs
Frequent Poster

Not picking up Beanes of Boston, the 1979 US adaptation of Are You Being Served. Powerhouse producer Garry Marshall was behind it and it had a strong cast. AYBS co-creator Jeremy Lloyd was involved with the project and they adapted the classic German-day episode for the pilot.

AYBS is my favorite brit-com, hands down. 'Allo 'Allo and Faulty Towers are pretty good too. My uncle and aunt love Keeping Up Appearances but I never cared for that.

Charlotte Rae as Miss Slocombe and John Hillerman as Peacock! Mr Humphries was comparably weak but I've recently got into Laugh-In and I think Alan Sues would've grown in the role. Of course Lorna Patterson was lovely on the eyes as the equivalent of Miss Brahms. It could've been a classic!
cnnbcbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 10:35 AM   #208
Jamey Greek
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnnbcbs
Cancelling Evening Shade when it was still in the top 30. The ugliness surrounding the Burt Reynolds-Loni Anderson divorce caused both their shows to be cancelled that year. Over on NBC, Nurses actually built-on its Empty Nest lead-in that season.
What's more passing over Loni Anderson for Marilu Henner. Loni Anderson attempted to co star alongside him but they chose Marilu Henner instead.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:35 AM   #209
Jamey Greek
Forum Regular

Passing on Wink Martindale's game show Top Secret at the eleventh hour
Old 09-22-2017, 08:46 AM   #210
Jamey Greek
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnnbcbs
Not picking up Beanes of Boston, the 1979 US adaptation of Are You Being Served. Powerhouse producer Garry Marshall was behind it and it had a strong cast. AYBS co-creator Jeremy Lloyd was involved with the project and they adapted the classic German-day episode for the pilot.

AYBS is my favorite brit-com, hands down. 'Allo 'Allo and Faulty Towers are pretty good too. My uncle and aunt love Keeping Up Appearances but I never cared for that.

Charlotte Rae as Miss Slocombe and John Hillerman as Peacock! Mr Humphries was comparably weak but I've recently got into Laugh-In and I think Alan Sues would've grown in the role. Of course Lorna Patterson was lovely on the eyes as the equivalent of Miss Brahms. It could've been a classic!
If they picked it up, sho would have played Mrs. Garrett?