Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms Questions and Discussion

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: The Conners Second Season Looking Likely; Apple to Produce New Peanuts Content
Fri-Yay: Where Will The Good Place Go Next?; Everything's Gonna Be Okay at Freeform
ABC Mid-Season 2019 Schedule; Amy Sedaris Laffer Returns Feb. 19 on truTV
ABC Picks Up Comedy Starring Lake Bell, Dax Shepard; EPIX Dark Comedy Gets 3rd Season
Lifetime Brings in the Stars for Winter Movies; Celebs Line Up for CBS All Access' Twilight Zone
HBO Comedy Crashing Returns for Season 3; Nick Sitcom Starts Jan. 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 10, 2018)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection Alice - The Complete Eighth Season Step by Step - The Complete Third Season

10/02 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 6th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 7th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 8th Season
10/02 - Ghosted - The Complete First Season
10/02 - The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One / Volume Two
10/02 - Police Squad! - TV and Movie Collection
10/02 - Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection
10/16 - Community - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/23 - Alice - The Complete Eighth Season
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Two
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Three
10/31 - The Bad News Bears - The Complete Series - All 26 Episodes
11/01 - Episodes - Season 5
11/05 - Robin Williams - Comic Genius (includes Mork & Mindy)
11/06 - American Dad! - Volume 13
11/16 - Man with a Plan - Season One
11/20 - Step by Step - The Complete Third Season
11/27 - What I Like About You - The Complete Third Season
12/04 - Family Guy - Season Sixteen
12/04 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Sixth Season
12/18 - Our Cartoon President - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-01-2017, 03:08 AM   #166
danderson400
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETTERL
Yup...being a huge, "Murder, She Wrote" fan, I always found it a treat to hear Summerall belt out the promo for "Murder, She Wrote". Sometimes, the games would run really late (until almost 8 pm), and MSW would get pre-empted; I was visiting my sister one time when that happened and Summerall did his 60 Minutes promo, followed by the one for the movie...and my sister looked at me like I was going to explode and said "Uh, oh...no "Murder, She Wrote" tonight!"

I especially remember the very last NFL telecast for CBS. Summerall waxed nostalgic, going on and on for what seemed like several minutes about leaving CBS and all the memories and finished his spiel by saying "...and I'm going to miss saying 'Stay tuned for 60 Minutes and Murder, She Wrote after that". I loved every second of his little soliloquy -- a piece of television history that would never be repeated.

I don't know if that little speech can be found on YouTube or not but I'm gonna go look right now!
I remember once when MSW was preempted: it was the Eagles-Raiders game in 1986. It wasn't Summerall doing it though, it was Gary Bender and Hank Stram doing that game. I remember as the game entered the OT period, Gary Bender was doing the 60 Minutes promo, followed by the one for the movie...and I knew that MSW wasn't going to be on that night because it listed only 60 Minutes and the movie.
danderson400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:32 AM   #167
Jamey Greek
Forum Regular

Cancelling the crazy ones!
Old 02-19-2017, 11:07 PM   #168
Jamey Greek
Forum Regular

Pat Sajak wanted his talk show to be like Jack Paar's old show. However, CBS made it too much like Carson's.
Jamey Greek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:29 PM   #169
NCRavensFan86
Frequent Poster

The way CBS handled "Unsolved Mysteries" on it's schedule is worthy of a mess-up mention.

"UM" was picked up by CBS after NBC had canceled it despite rising ratings in the 1996-1997 TV Season.

CBS debuted "UM" on a Thursday Night at 10 PM in November 1997 with hardly any promotion.

Then after airing just one episode, CBS put the series on hiatus until April 1998.

When the show resumed airing in April 1998, CBS aired the show at 9 PM. For the first time in its 10 year history, the show did not air at 8 PM. Which would have been fine if it's lead-in had strong ratings and was stable in it's timeslot.

The perfect lead-ins show were canceled two years prior "Rescue 911" and "Murder She Wrote"

UM's lead in for April 1998 were "Kids Say the Darndest Things" and "Candid Camera" This two shows were mid-season fillers that were used to try to patch up the colossal BUST known as "The CBS Friday Night Block Party."

If CBS was DEAD SET on airing UM at 9 PM, they should have used "48 Hours" or "60 Minutes" as a lead in. UM is the kind of show that I feel is a MAIN EVENT. An event in which you should have NO LEAD-IN show but if you do make it something related to the UM format.

The poor ratings of UM in 1998 reflected the poor 9 PM Friday timeslot. Miraculously, CBS renewed the show for another season in the Spring of 1999, but once again CBS repeated the 9 PM Friday timeslot with the pathetic Kids Say/Candid Camera lead in.
NCRavensFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 03:39 AM   #170
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by danderson400
I remember once when MSW was preempted: it was the Eagles-Raiders game in 1986. It wasn't Summerall doing it though, it was Gary Bender and Hank Stram doing that game. I remember as the game entered the OT period, Gary Bender was doing the 60 Minutes promo, followed by the one for the movie...and I knew that MSW wasn't going to be on that night because it listed only 60 Minutes and the movie.
By the time CBS lost the National Football Conference package to Fox in 1993, they were a shear and utter mess. To put things into proper perspective, they barely had any hit sitcoms in the 1980s other than Newhart, Kate & Allie and Designing Women. And after most of the prime time soaps (i.e. Dallas, Knots Landing, and Falcon Crest) were dead or had reached zombie status, they thought The Golden Palace (the spin-off/continuation of The Golden Girls sans Bea Arthur) would revitalize Friday night and head off a two-hour block of sitcoms that was basically like TGIF for grown-ups, even moving DW there and hammering another nail in its coffin in the process. There's also the fact that Family Matters was a top-rated show at the time. But it still lasted longer than The Bradys (Sherwood Schwartz biting off more than he could chew) did in that time slot, just two years earlier.

With all of that being said, losing the NFL just flat out exposed how bad the programming was for CBS at the time as well. While in the meantime, there were some very good shows like Chicago Hope, The Nanny, Walker, Texas Ranger, Picket Fences and Touched by an Angel as well as Murphy Brown and Murder, She Wrote, they were all slated towards older viewers.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 04:10 PM   #171
70s show watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
By the time CBS lost the National Football Conference package to Fox in 1993, they were a shear and utter mess. To put things into proper perspective, they barely had any hit sitcoms in the 1980s other than Newhart, Kate & Allie and Designing Women. And after most of the prime time soaps (i.e. Dallas, Knots Landing, and Falcon Crest) were dead or had reached zombie status, they thought The Golden Palace (the spin-off/continuation of The Golden Girls sans Bea Arthur) would revitalize Friday night and head off a two-hour block of sitcoms that was basically like TGIF for grown-ups, even moving DW there and hammering another nail in its coffin in the process. There's also the fact that Family Matters was a top-rated show at the time. But it still lasted longer than The Bradys (Sherwood Schwartz biting off more than he could chew) did in that time slot, just two years earlier.

With all of that being said, losing the NFL just flat out exposed how bad the programming was for CBS at the time as well. While in the meantime, there were some very good shows like Chicago Hope, The Nanny, Walker, Texas Ranger, Picket Fences and Touched by an Angel as well as Murphy Brown and Murder, She Wrote, they were all slated towards older viewers.
very well said
70s show watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:30 PM   #172
danderson400
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC

It does make me wonder; if CBS hadn't lost the National Football Conference package to Fox in 1993, how much shape they would have been in?
danderson400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:14 PM   #173
Jamey Greek
Forum Regular

Laying off Scott Pelley
Old 06-05-2017, 09:48 PM   #174
James28
Michael Jackson - DCS Leader

The cancellation of 2 Broke Girls.

CBS gives 2BG a one-hour season premiere last October. Then, once Superior Donuts premieres in February after having been ordered to series immediately after the season begins, CBS demotes 2BG from the 9:00 PM anchor slot to the 9:30 PM hammock slot to make room for SD (I don't understand why it couldn't have been the other way around). 2BG's season finale airs in mid-April,and its showrunner promises us that it wouldn't be the last episode. And then 2BG is abruptly cancelled when negotiations for a potential final season broke down between CBS and Warner Bros. TV, and then Warner Bros. TV all of a sudden decided not to shop 2BG around to other outlets. And unlike Two and a Half Men and Mike & Molly (which were also produced by WBTV), 2 Broke Girls didn't even get a proper wrap-up episode,which is just plain unfair. Fans of 2BG will be left hanging forever after its sixth-season finale.

If the cancellation of 2 Broke Girls were a very real possibility beforehand, then WBTV should have thought about moving the sitcom to TBS for future seasons if CBS can't air them.

Also, CBS ended Mike & Molly in 2015 after the network opted not to renew its licensing agreement with Warner Bros. TV after its sixth season. Will the same thing happen with Mom after its sixth season (in 2018-19) ends? Three of the new sitcoms that will premiere on CBS during the 2017-18 season come from Warner Bros. TV: Me, Myself and I, By the Book, and The Big Bang Theory's spinoff/prequel Young Sheldon. I think the cycle of ending a WBTV-produced CBS sitcom after six seasons will eventually just repeat itself with those shows, regardless of whether they have a proper send-off or not.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:44 AM   #175
70s show watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by James28
The cancellation of 2 Broke Girls.

CBS gives 2BG a one-hour season premiere last October. Then, once Superior Donuts premieres in February after having been ordered to series immediately after the season begins, CBS demotes 2BG from the 9:00 PM anchor slot to the 9:30 PM hammock slot to make room for SD (I don't understand why it couldn't have been the other way around). 2BG's season finale airs in mid-April,and its showrunner promises us that it wouldn't be the last episode. And then 2BG is abruptly cancelled when negotiations for a potential final season broke down between CBS and Warner Bros. TV, and then Warner Bros. TV all of a sudden decided not to shop 2BG around to other outlets. And unlike Two and a Half Men and Mike & Molly (which were also produced by WBTV), 2 Broke Girls didn't even get a proper wrap-up episode,which is just plain unfair. Fans of 2BG will be left hanging forever after its sixth-season finale.

If the cancellation of 2 Broke Girls were a very real possibility beforehand, then WBTV should have thought about moving the sitcom to TBS for future seasons if CBS can't air them.

Also, CBS ended Mike & Molly in 2015 after the network opted not to renew its licensing agreement with Warner Bros. TV after its sixth season. Will the same thing happen with Mom after its sixth season (in 2018-19) ends? Three of the new sitcoms that will premiere on CBS during the 2017-18 season come from Warner Bros. TV: Me, Myself and I, By the Book, and The Big Bang Theory's spinoff/prequel Young Sheldon. I think the cycle of ending a WBTV-produced CBS sitcom after six seasons will eventually just repeat itself with those shows, regardless of whether they have a proper send-off or not.
you know i like superior donuts but i do get sick of cbs acting like its the next all in the family or big bang theory even most of the people like myself who like the show for what it is do not seem to be as ga ga about this show as the cbs exces seem to be
70s show watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:54 PM   #176
bmasters9

Per what I said about The Prudential College Football Report w/Jim Nantz and how it used not only a version of the theme song of The NCAA Today (this for the first two seasons [1985 and '86]), but also today's CBS college football music (this not only for the last two seasons w/Jim Nantz [1987 and '88], and one w/Greg Gumbel [1989]), here's a mini-vid I made showing the evolution of the billboards of that CBS college football studio halftime segment (Don Robertson was the announcer on all of these, BTW). What I'd like to know is, which music did/do you like better?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp-kH8t0aro
"CBS Sports presents...The Prudential College Football Report, sponsored by The Prudential, offering a full range of insurance and other financial services. The Prudential: the Rock...it's strong, it's on the move, it's bigger than life."

(Don Robertson's spiel for The Prudential College Football Report in the 1986 season; modified from what it was in 1985)
bmasters9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:51 PM   #177
simmytbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by megamanj2004
1990 - Outside of picking up Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and the rest of their Saturday Morning fare and their daytime programming (save for Wheel of Fortune, which was one of their big blemishes and mistakes in the daytime ratings) 1990 was a nightmare year for CBS. Their 1990-91 campaign slogan ad they called a Dream Season was actually a Nightmare Season for them.

1990 was the beginning of their massive slide in the sports department when they lost longtime stalwart Brent Musberger to ABC Sports (following the April Fools' Day telecast of the NBA Playoffs). They would eventually lose the rights to the NBA over to NBC Sports after their telecast of the 1990 NBA Finals. Then they severely overpaid for MLB and bombed after 3 years, only for FOX to snatch it up and air MLB ever since.

They also lost or was about to lose longtime stalwart shows in Newhart, Falcon Crest and Dallas, the latter would enter its final season in that Fall of 1990. They picked up the rights to The Hogan Family and paired it up with another Miller-Boyett show in The Family Man and neither struck gold for them, thanks to the terrible moves they made with both shows, especially the former.

Their CBS News post-Walter Cronkite era wasn't very kind to them, especially during Dan Rather's tenure with the CBS Evening News in particular.

During Dan Rather's time with The CBS Evening News, it slid to 3rd Place behind The NBC Nightly News w/ Tom Brokaw and ABC World Evening News Tonight w/ the late Peter Jennings where it stayed for years. Outside of 60 Minutes since, CBS was the weakest of the original Big 3 Networks in the News Department. Also, the George W. Bush Documents controversy also caused Dan Rather to get sacked as anchor of the CBS Evening News and from his post on 60 Minutes Two and CBS as a whole.
1990 also saw the birth of CBS KID TV on Saturday Mornings 4 consecutive seasons and the 2 flagship shows for that block were Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Garfield & Friends

For those that don't know, The Family Man was a Sitcom Produced by Miller-Boyett the Producers of such shows as Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, Perfect Strangers, Full House, Family Matters and Step By Step

The title role to The Family Man was played by CBS Veteran Gregory Harrison best known for his dramatic roles in CBS Shows such as the 70's Cult Classic Sci-Fi Drama Series Logan's Run (based on the 1976 Film of the same name Starring Michael York, Jenny Agutter & ex-Charlie's Angel in the late Farrah Fawcett) Trapper John, M.D. as Dr. George Alonzo Gates and he even starred in the Final Season of another LORIMAR Series Falcon Crest

This was Gregory Harrison's 1st starring role in a Television Sitcom, the series also stars Scott Weinger of Full House and the voice of Disney's Aladdin, the late Ed Winter of M*A*S*H, the late Al Molinaro of The Odd Couple and Happy Days and Gail Edwards of the 80's series It's a Living

Harrison would also host the Reality Drama Series True Detectives a series from the producer of Rescue 911

The Family Man finished #113 out of 141 prime time shows for the 1990-91 season Nielsen rankings.

Not only that, but putting The Family Man and The Hogan Family to Saturday Nights was a HUGE Mess-Up by the networks

I personally didn't care for The Hogan Family, I liked it when it was Valerie, but when they killed off her character, Valerie sued LORIMAR for over $1.75 Million Dollars and won her case

But that's another story on another thread

But also, speaking of CBS News being in 3rd place in the News Dept., CBS News FIRED Kathleen Sullivan (formally of ABC News World News This Morning) from CBS This Morning and they replaced her with Future CNN News Anchor Paula Zhan and that was the same year that NBC News paired Bryant Gumbel w/Deborah Norville (formally of NBC NEWS SUNRISE and now currently of Inside Edition) on The TODAY Show and both CBS This Morning and The TODAY Show suffered ratings @ the hands of Good Morning America (which celebrated their 15th Anniversary)

Joan Lunden (who celebrated her 10th Anniversary) and Charles Gibson (who replaced longtime anchor and former actor 6'5" David Hartman) were a tough team to beat

and Lunden & Gibson kicked everyone's butt in the ratings including the team of Gumbel & Norville and Smith & Zhan and GMA would be the #1 Morning News Show in america from 1990-1995

Now, other than CBS Daytime being #1 thanks in part to Family Feud w/the late Ray Combs, The Price is Right w/Bob Barker, The Young & the Restless, The Bold & the Beautiful, As the World Turns and Guiding Light, CBS was in 3rd place in both the News Dept. and their Prime Time Line-Up

Their only Hit Shows on that network are their Sunday Night Juggernauts in 60 Minutes and Prime Time's #1 Drama Murder, She Wrote as well as Murphy Brown and Designing Women which were Top 10 Hits in the Nielsen Ratings and Rescue 911 was also in the Nielsen Ratings Top 30

Atlanta Falcons: RISE UP

Last edited by simmytbone; 06-12-2017 at 04:42 PM.
simmytbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 01:18 PM   #178
Jamey Greek
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmytbone
1990 also saw the birth of CBS KID TV on Saturday Mornings 4 consecutive seasons and the 2 flagship shows for that block were Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Garfield & Friends

For those that don't know, The Family Man was a Sitcom Produced by Miller-Boyett the Producers of such shows as Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, Perfect Strangers, Full House, Family Matters and Step By Step

The title role to The Family Man was played by CBS Veteran Gregory Harrison best known for his dramatic roles in CBS Shows such as the 70's Cult Classic Sci-Fi Drama Series Logan's Run (based on the 1976 Film of the same name Starring Michael York, Jenny Agutter & ex-Charlie's Angel in the late Farrah Fawcett)

This was Gregory Harrison's 1st starring role in a Television Sitcom, the series also stars Scott Weinger of Full House and the voice of Disney's Aladdin, the late Ed Winter of M*A*S*H, the late Al Molinaro of The Odd Couple and Happy Days and Gail Edwards of the 80's series It's a Living

Harrison would also host the Reality Drama Series True Detectives a series from the producer of Rescue 911

The Family Man finished #113 out of 141 prime time shows for the 1990-91 season Nielsen rankings.

Not only that, but putting The Family Man and The Hogan Family to Saturday Nights was a HUGE Mess-Up by the networks

I personally didn't care for The Hogan Family, I liked it when it was Valerie, but when they killed off her character, Valerie sued LORIMAR for over $1.75 Million Dollars and won her case

But that's another story on another thread

But also, speaking of CBS News being in 3rd place in the News Dept., CBS News FIRED Kathleen Sullivan (formally of ABC News World News This Morning) from CBS This Morning and they replaced her with Future CNN News Anchor Paula Zhan and that was the same year that NBC News paired Bryant Gumbel w/Deborah Norville (formally of NBC NEWS SUNRISE and now currently of Inside Edition) on The TODAY Show and both CBS This Morning and The TODAY Show suffered ratings @ the hands of Good Morning America (which celebrated their 15th Anniversary)

Joan Lunden (who celebrated her 10th Anniversary) and Charles Gibson (who replaced longtime anchor and former actor 6'5" David Hartman) were a tough team to beat

and Lunden & Gibson kicked everyone's butt in the ratings including the team of Gumbel & Norville and Smith & Zhan and GMA would be the #1 Morning News Show in america from 1990-1995

Now, other than CBS Daytime being #1 thanks in part to Family Feud w/the late Ray Combs, The Price is Right w/Bob Barker, The Young & the Restless, The Bold & the Beautiful, As the World Turns and Guiding Light, CBS was in 3rd place in both the News Dept. and their Prime Time Line-Up

Their only Hit Shows on that network are their Sunday Night Juggernauts in 60 Minutes and Prime Time's #1 Drama Murder, She Wrote as well as Murphy Brown and Designing Women which were Top 10 Hits in the Nielsen Ratings and Rescue 911 was also in the Nielsen Ratings Top 30
Well CBS had good reason to fire her. They caught her insulting their network on the air! She didn't realize the mic was on she called CBS the cheap broadcasting system on the air!

I don't blame her for calling it that. Because CBS cheapened the hell out of daytime Wheel of Fortune when they bought it from NBC in 1989.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:39 PM   #179
simmytbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamey Greek
Well CBS had good reason to fire her. They caught her insulting their network on the air! She didn't realize the mic was on she called CBS the cheap broadcasting system on the air!

I don't blame her for calling it that. Because CBS cheapened the hell out of daytime Wheel of Fortune when they bought it from NBC in 1989.
That I agree with

I mean, Bob Goen was a good host for Daytime Wheel and Pat Sajak also hosted the show in the same studio CBS Television City in HOLLYWOOD and he was even doin' his Late Night Talk Show

When I watched the Daytime Wheel, I saw they had spaces like $50 $75 $100 $125 $150 $175 and when I think of that, I'm like what the heck?

and it also made Bob Goen look bad, I'll bet Sajak was probably happy that he didn't have to host Daytime Wheel with those kinda payoffs

Vanna White was still busy doin' both Daytime Wheel and Nighttime Wheel
simmytbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:09 AM   #180
Jamey Greek
Forum Regular

cancelling The Jeffersons without letting the cast and crew know. Sherman Hemsley had to read it in the newspaper.