Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Golden Girls Central / The Golden Girls links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Golden Girls Photo Gallery

The Golden Girls - Season 1

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 1 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 2

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 2 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 3

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 3 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 4

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 4 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 5

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 5 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 6

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 6 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 7

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 7 on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Golden Girls

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

WLNY's The Odd Couple Marathon on New Year's; ABC Orders More Episodes of Most Comedies
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 17, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: The Conners Second Season Looking Likely; Apple to Produce New Peanuts Content
Fri-Yay: Where Will The Good Place Go Next?; Everything's Gonna Be Okay at Freeform
ABC Mid-Season 2019 Schedule; Amy Sedaris Laffer Returns Feb. 19 on truTV
ABC Picks Up Comedy Starring Lake Bell, Dax Shepard; EPIX Dark Comedy Gets 3rd Season
Lifetime Brings in the Stars for Winter Movies; Celebs Line Up for CBS All Access' Twilight Zone

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection Alice - The Complete Eighth Season Step by Step - The Complete Third Season

10/02 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 6th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 7th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 8th Season
10/02 - Ghosted - The Complete First Season
10/02 - The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One / Volume Two
10/02 - Police Squad! - TV and Movie Collection
10/02 - Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection
10/16 - Community - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/23 - Alice - The Complete Eighth Season
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Two
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Three
10/31 - The Bad News Bears - The Complete Series - All 26 Episodes
11/01 - Episodes - Season 5
11/05 - Robin Williams - Comic Genius (includes Mork & Mindy)
11/06 - American Dad! - Volume 13
11/16 - Man with a Plan - Season One
11/20 - Step by Step - The Complete Third Season
11/27 - What I Like About You - The Complete Third Season
12/04 - Family Guy - Season Sixteen
12/04 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Sixth Season
12/18 - Our Cartoon President - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-27-2018, 03:24 PM   #1
'80sSitcoms

Default I disagree with Rue's take on Blanche

It bothers me in interviews (or, at least one interview that has been reprinted in more than book about The Golden Girls) Rue says that Blanche "had the least going going on sexually than anybody" and that "even Sophia had more sex than Blanche". She even says "Go back and look" and we'll see this, as if what she's saying is true. This is anything but true. All watching the show does is prove the opposite! lol...there's a reason there are all those slut jokes. I mean for Pete's sake, in "End of the Curse" she slept with 5 different men in one week (Sophia read the names in her diary). Granted she did say that was "a particularly active time" for her, but even for Blanche 5 men in one week does sound like a lot! lol

There are many remarks about the sounds coming from Blanche's room, about Blanche's sexual times with men being interrupted (when the roof caved in and knocked the Zorro mask out of one man's hand, and when another man almost fell off the trapeze on another night, etc.,), and seeing dates of Blanche's coming and going. Not to mention those times when the girls go somewhere and a chorus of men see her and greet her with, "Blanche!" (and occasionally she pretends not to have been to those locales before, but has to admit it when several men come and greet her by name). And there are the cops in the "Monkey Show" episode when one asks to show the junior cop Blanche's room, but then says something like, "Nah, let him discover it for himself one day".

It's pretty amazing someone can be so wrong about their own character. But I guess it's like Deems Taylor says of Tchaikovsky in "Fantasia", "Sometimes an artist can be wrong about their own work".

Maybe she hadn't watched the show in so long and somehow just thought this was how it was? I don't know why she developed that skewed view of Blanche or how she could claim to back it up by telling us to "Go back and look", but it's pretty clear to me Blanche was very promiscuous and obviously had sex with more different men than any of the other girls combined.

Last edited by '80sSitcoms; 03-27-2018 at 04:42 PM.
'80sSitcoms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 04:16 PM   #2
tlc38tlc38
Did I do that?
Forum Veteran

I think Blanche was more talk than walk.
Deuteronomy 15:10
In loving memory of my best friend, my Mama.
tlc38tlc38 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 04:25 PM   #3
Steve_uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by '80sSitcoms
It bothers me in interviews (or, at least one interview that has been reprinted in more than book about The Golden Girls) Rue says that Blanche "had the least going going on sexually than anybody" and that "even Sophia had more sex than Blanche". She even says "Go back and look" and we'll see this, as if what she's saying is true. This is anything but true. All watching the show does is prove the opposite! lol...there's a reason there are all those slut jokes. I mean for Pete's sake, in "End of the Curse" she slept with 5 different men in one week. Granted she did say that was "a particularly active time" for her, but even for Blanche 5 men in one week does sound like a lot! lol

There are many remarks about the sounds coming from Blanche's room, about Blanche's sexual times with men being interrupted (when the roof caved in and knocked the Zorro mask out of one man's hand, and when another man almost fell off the trapeze on another night, etc.,), and seeing dates of Blanche's coming and going. Not to mention those times when the girls go somewhere and a chorus of men see her and greet her with, "Blanche!" (and occasionally she pretends not to have been to those locales before, but has to admit it when several men come and greet her by name). And there are the cops in the "Monkey Show" episode when one asks to show the junior cop Blanche's room, but then says something like, "Nah, let him discover it for himself one day".

It's pretty amazing someone can be so wrong about their own character. But I guess it's like Deems Taylor says of Tchaikovsky in "Fantasia", "Sometimes an artist can be wrong about their own work".

Maybe she hadn't watched the show in so long and somehow just thought this was how it was? I don't know why she developed that skewed view of Blanche or how she could claim to back it up by telling us to "Go back and look", but it's pretty clear to me Blanche was very promiscuous and obviously had sex with more different men than any of the other girls combined.
Do you mean that Blanche's lovemaking was synonymous with Tchaikovsky's self-assessment of the work, namely that " it was very loud and noisy without artistic merit, obviously written without warmth or love.."
Steve_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 04:42 PM   #4
'80sSitcoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc38tlc38
I think Blanche was more talk than walk.
To a degree, but certainly not how Rue came to think of it. There was too much evidence throughout 7 years that she was very sexually active; sometimes seen, sometimes referenced.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:47 PM   #5
Steve_uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by '80sSitcoms
To a degree, but certainly not how Rue came to think of it. There was too much evidence throughout 7 years that she was very sexually active; sometimes seen, sometimes referenced.
Wasn't that a combination of bluster from the character to get a reaction and the bad continuity from writers facing a deadline more focused on the paycheck than vérité..
Steve_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 04:52 PM   #6
'80sSitcoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_uk
Wasn't that a combination of bluster from the character to get a reaction and the bad continuity from writers facing a deadline more focused on the paycheck than vérité..
But it wasn't always her bluster; her roommates and many, many men in Miami who knew her by name corroborated her promiscuity. And sometimes she corroborated it herself, though some of it was bluster, yes. But I think it's ludicrous to say Blanche "had the least going on sexually" and that "Sophia had more dates than Blanche", lol.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:35 PM   #7
bandonurse
Forum Regular

I never knew Rue said that, but I agree. It's quite obvious that she had lots of men in her life. And I'm not talking about all the bragging she did in between the escapades we saw, and heard confirmed by other people.
bandonurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:41 PM   #8
KatieAnn
Forum Regular

Maybe Rue didn't like the idea of a character she played as being a "slut" so she decided that the character, behind closed doors, didn't have the amount of sex that people thought she did.

I seem to remember the ladies having a discussion about sex and Rose saying something like in her experience people who talk about all the sex they have don't really do it much, and Blanche looked angry, offended, but also maybe like she'd been caught in her lies. That was really the only time I thought that maybe Blanche's known behavior of "dating" many men was meant to look like an act and not the truth of who she was.
KatieAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:45 PM   #9
'80sSitcoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieAnn
Maybe Rue didn't like the idea of a character she played as being a "slut" so she decided that the character, behind closed doors, didn't have the amount of sex that people thought she did.

I seem to remember the ladies having a discussion about sex and Rose saying something like in her experience people who talk about all the sex they have don't really do it much, and Blanche looked angry, offended, but also maybe like she'd been caught in her lies. That was really the only time I thought that maybe Blanche's known behavior of "dating" many men was meant to look like an act and not the truth of who she was.
Blanche did exaggerate and embellish, she admitted that when she was named as having had the affair with Councilman Gil in that one episode where she denied the affair (which never happened). But she still had sex obviously way more than the other three girls combined; this is obvious just from binge-watching the show and watching for details on this (I've binge-watched the series again recently, currently starting season 7).

I think she exaggerated/embellished the fabulousness and intensity of many of her dates and hook-ups, but she still did have plenty of true enough experiences for good stories.