Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Golden Girls Central / The Golden Girls links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Golden Girls Photo Gallery

The Golden Girls - Season 1

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 1 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 2

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 2 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 3

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 3 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 4

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 4 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 5

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 5 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 6

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 6 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 7

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 7 on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Golden Girls
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sony Crackle 2018 Upfront; Megan Fox Heads to Travel Channel Series
Decades Gets Rose Marie Documentary; TBS Orders More Last O.G. and Search Party
CBS Pulls Living Biblically; First Wives Club Comedy Series Coming to Paramount Network
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of April 23, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Goldbergs Spinoff Happening After All; Grey's Anatomy Renewed for Fifteenth Season
Fri-Yay: Superstore is Doing the Will They/Won't They Story Arc Right; Laff Pays Tribute to Harry Anderson
CBS Picks Up 11 More Returning Series for 2018-19; BET 2018 Upfront
Carol Burnett Gets Netflix Series; Futurama on Syfy, Marathon on 4/20
The Goldbergs 1990s Spinoff Ordered for ABC; Remembering Harry Anderson of Night Court
It's a Living Coming to Logo on April 21; Hollywood Darlings Returns Wednesday on Pop

New on DVD/Blu-ray (February/March/April)

Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Seventh Season Green Acres - The Complete Fifth Season Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season One Day at a Time - Season Two Perfect Strangers  - The Complete Third Season

02/06 - All in the Family - Seasons 1-5
02/06 - Bosom Buddies - The Complete Series
02/06 - Women of the House - Complete 12 Episode Series
02/13 - Broad City - Season 4
02/13 - Three's Company - The Complete Series - Come and Knock on Our Door Collection
02/27 - Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Seventh Season
02/27 - Green Acres - The Complete Fifth Season
02/27 - Mayberry R.F.D. - The Complete First Season
03/06 - Atlanta - The Complete First Season
03/06 - Curb Your Enthusiasm - The Complete Ninth Season
03/13 - The New Adventures of Old Christine - The Complete First Season
03/27 - One Day at a Time - Season Two
04/03 - Ballers - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/03 - 90's Sitcom (Just Shoot Me!/The Larry Sanders Show/Wings) Starter Set - Season 1 & 2 Bundle
04/10 - Vice Principals - The Compelte Series
04/17 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-03-2017, 02:21 AM   #16
Superbatboy
Forum Regular
The Brandon Show

Every episode for the first 5 seasons was top notch, while seasons 6 and 7 were great...there were a few clunkers.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:56 AM   #17
mets82

The whole series was good. But I definitely like certain episodes more than others throughout the series.

Please check out my blog. I vent on all things. TV, sports etc. you name it. Its also a work in progress. Check out and see what you think.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:27 PM   #18
bandonurse
Forum Regular

"I definitely like certain episodes more than others throughout the series."

I agree mets82

For instance, I really didn't like the story arcs when Dorothy slept with Stan, and later almost remarried him. I get that she had unresolved feelings, but really? After all he did? And all the bad things she said about him, she suddenly softened toward him that much?
Old 02-06-2017, 01:42 AM   #19
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasey
Sorry, but I prefer the last two seasons over the earlier ones. I didn't like all the 'visiting relative' episodes from the early years. And I loved the over-the-top name calling they did in those later seasons--so catty and nasty. The later ones seemed more lively and fast-paced too with lots of zingers.
I'm with you all the way. I loved the last few seasons. They are my favorite seasons as well. Very enjoyable to me.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:46 AM   #20
schmave
Forum Regular

I liked all of the Stan episodes and thought he was on just enough. His presence represented some extra continuity in a series that was all too lacking in that area (one of the few things in which Golden Girls lacked).
As for the original topic, the first two seasons are my favorite of the show. I think those are the best and most relatable episodes, definitely the least outlandish. All of the seasons have great episodes, but the fourth season was probably my least favorite overall. The last season was decent with a few exceptions.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:57 AM   #21
GGFan51
Occasional Poster

I definitely agree that the later seasons were not quite as strong and that yes, you can definitely tell that the writers were different.

The first three seasons are great and the 4th is great too.

The 5th is fairly strong, although is not as good as the first 4.

Season 6 is the one where things get ridiculous- Miles being in the witness protection program was idiotic and a big misstep. Snap Out Of It was just too much. Once In St. Olaf (Rose meeting her monk father) was a bit too much too, but it was handled quite well by the actors. Stand By Your Man was a waste of an episode. Ebbtide's Revenge offered an amazing moment for Estelle Getty and was overall a strong episode, but the inconsistencies with the episode and previous ones were irritating. Sophia had gone to visit Phil twice, the first time for a graduation which ended up not happening and the second time when her granddaughter got married, so Angela stating that she "wouldn't set foot in my house" just didn't make any sense to me.

The episodes I like the most from that season are Melodrama, Ebbtide's Revenge, Blanche Delivers, Sister Of The Bride, Mrs. George Devereaux, Feelings, Zborn Again, If At Last You Do Succeed, How Do You Solve A Problem Like Sophia, There Goes The Bride 1/2, Older And Wiser, and Love For Sale.

Season 7 is a mixed bag for the most part, but has some great stuff in there too. It's just a little sad that it's the last season and you can tell that the actors are aware of that.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:04 AM   #22
GGFan51
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmave
I liked all of the Stan episodes and thought he was on just enough. His presence represented some extra continuity in a series that was all too lacking in that area (one of the few things in which Golden Girls lacked).
As for the original topic, the first two seasons are my favorite of the show. I think those are the best and most relatable episodes, definitely the least outlandish. All of the seasons have great episodes, but the fourth season was probably my least favorite overall. The last season was decent with a few exceptions.

Agree, I always have a soft spot for Stan just like Dorothy did on the show. Why was Season 4 your least favorite overall?
Old 04-16-2018, 12:16 PM   #23
schmave
Forum Regular

Largely because the second half of that season contains most of my least favorite episodes (including my absolute least favorite, "You Gotta Have Hope"). The first half of Season 4 is pretty good, but from "Valentine's Day" on, I like only 1-2 episodes the rest of that season.
I want to say that's around the time the new writing crew took over.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:16 AM   #24
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbatboy
Every episode for the first 5 seasons was top notch, while seasons 6 and 7 were great...there were a few clunkers.

Didn't Betty White once say that by Season 6 (where the show argabuly lost much of its energy and vitality), Bea Arthur was really didn't want to really do the show anymore, and it really shows in her performance?
Old 04-23-2018, 04:23 AM   #25
GGFan51
Occasional Poster

I'm not sure, but I personally feel that you get that impression in Season 5.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:26 AM   #26
tlc38tlc38
Knock! Knock!

My favorite is season 2 but all seasons are fun.