Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Golden Girls Central / The Golden Girls links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Golden Girls Photo Gallery

The Golden Girls - Season 1

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 1 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 2

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 2 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 3

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 3 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 4

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 4 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 5

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 5 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 6

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 6 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 7

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 7 on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Golden Girls
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Pilot Season at Amazon to Come to an End?; CBS Plans "Winter Games" with Celebrity Big Brother
Fri-Yay: Search Party, Creating a New Kind of Sitcom; Remembering Jim Nabors, MeTV and Decades TV Network to Pay Tribute
ABC Faves Head to Hulu; SMILF Gets 2nd Season on Showtime
CBS Orders Full Seasons of Sophomore Sitcoms; Desperate Housewives Star Heads to Dynasty

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-21-2015, 04:39 PM   #16
Dianne3
Forum Regular

It was mostly in year 3 when the original writers wrote current events into the dialogue. I believe it started in the 2nd half of year 2.

Somewhere I read that Bea Arthur didn't like that because viewers in the future won't understand the references.

Did you know that when Rose wrote a letter to someone in Russia, it was out of the headlines?
I think the Gary Hart/Donna Rice scandal was mentioned in year 3.
Also some evangelist - maybe Jimmy Swaggert?
The Jacksons, especially Michael were mentioned a lot.

By year 4, the current events dialogue was gone.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:08 AM   #17
schmave
Frequent Poster

Howie Mandel and Thirtysomething got a fair amount of mentions, but those were all insults.
I don't mind the references. It's like a quick throwback to that time.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:24 AM   #18
'80sSitcoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianne3

I don't know about that, it seems then-current references to pop culture and politics were always sprinkled in throughout the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmave
Howie Mandel and Thirtysomething got a fair amount of
mentions, but those were all insults.

A "fair amount"? I can think of maybe one each, unless someone can think of more.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:05 AM   #19
Yong Fang

Golden Girls is a great show, but some of the humor is dated for the times, which were the mid 1980's, so some of the people they talked about are now obscure people.

Much like older 1950's shows when they talk about people "before my time" like Walter Winchell or Bishop Sheen for example. All in the Family was a lot about political humor and debate of the 1970's, Nixon, Agnew, Watergate, McGovern, etc., if you are unfamilar with these people (Nixon is famous but the others) if you do not know who they are.

I am 48, almost 49 years old, I do not know what is popular with the "youngins", which is why I dont get into Two Broke Girls. But the womder of history and these reruns is hearing a name that got a laugh 40 years ago (like Bebe Rebezo) and the person might be interested in seeing who thst person was. TV shows are a history lesson.
Old 01-16-2016, 01:44 PM   #20
bandonurse
Forum Regular

Just thought of a very ironic one:

In the "Mr. Pfeiffer" dialog at the funeral home, the GG's refuse to do Mrs. Claxton's funeral on a Thursday night, implying they wouldn't want to miss The Cosby Show.

Today, any "fond" reference to him turns my stomach. But how could they possibly have known? If only they could have seen into the future, huh?
Old 01-16-2016, 05:13 PM   #21
schmave
Frequent Poster

There was no implication about it ... it was flat out stated that "The Cosby Show" took precedence.
I think it's humorous no matter what we've learned since then. Like I said in my earlier post, it's a throwback to those times, and I see nothing wrong with it.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:56 PM   #22
bandonurse
Forum Regular

Never said I thought there was something "wrong with" the show making that reference back then. I specifically used the word "ironic", didn't I? I also pointed out the obvious....that they couldn't have possibly known what would come to light decades later. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:18 AM   #23
'80sSitcoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianne3
It was mostly in year 3 when the original writers wrote current events into the dialogue. I believe it started in the 2nd half of year 2.

Somewhere I read that Bea Arthur didn't like that because viewers in the future won't understand the references.

This is untrue. The Golden Girls always had pop culture/current event references in it, all throughout the series. Just this weekend I finished watching season 4 and these sorts of references were sprinkled all throughout the season.
Old 07-03-2016, 04:02 PM   #24
bandonurse
Forum Regular

"God's very busy these days....most of his time is spent talking to Pat Robertson"

Even *I* don't remember who Pat Robertson was. A televangelist, perhaps?