Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fox Midseason 2018 Schedule Has New Comedy; Remembering David Cassidy
CBS Gives 9JKL More Episodes; Remembering Della Reese of Touched by an Angel, Chico and the Man
COZI TV's 4th Annual Holidozi Schedule; Remembering Ann Wedgeworth and Earle Hyman
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 20, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fox Producing Retirement Home Comedy Starring Vicki Lawrence and David Alan Grier; Nashville and Still the King Cancelled
Fri-Yay: Is Hulu Moving Away From Comedy?; Antenna TV to Air New Year Kickoff with Coach Marathon
You're the Worst Renewed for Final Season on FXX; New Stana Katic Drama Heads to Amazon

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-30-2012, 04:19 PM   #61
Liza
BestYearsofOurLives

Send a message via AIM to Liza

Okay, I've tried to explain my side, but I see my posts from yesterday's meltdown are now being used in another fight. Please don't put me in the middle here, I'm gonna leave this thread. If you two want to fight, feel free, but don't bring up my posts from yesterday, please.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:30 PM   #62
Janice
Administrator
Forum Celebrity
My Sweet Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liza
I didn't mean to call him disgusting, I called his views disgusting, which you could see if you'd bothered to read all of the posts. And I still think what you said was low, but as I've said I was really worked up yesterday and was being extremely touchy about things that I normally wouldn't have been.
You clearly called him a disgusting person. You may regret it, but there's no way you typed it wrong. It was a complete sentence. Own your words. I believe that's the third time you told me don't like what I said. I got it, and again, I don't care what you think.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:45 PM   #63
Janice
Administrator
Forum Celebrity
My Sweet Lily

Default Back on topic...

http://www.wfmz.com/news/news-region...4/-/fnovxyz/-/

VIDEO IN LINK

Family says teen didn't have to die

Family members of a 16-year-old boy who was shot while committing a robbery in Berks County say he didn't have to die.

CUMRU TWP., Pa. - Julius Johnson was killed and his friend was wounded last week when police say the man they were attacking in Cumru Township shot them both.

In his family's home a single candle burns in memory of Julius Johnson.

It all happened last Wednesday.

Prosecutors say Johnson, who was already on probation for aggravated assault, robbed two men in West Reading and was attempting to rob a third along a bike path in Cumru Township in Berks County.

But the would-be victim was carrying a licensed firearm, and shot two of his attackers.

Johnson was killed. A friend is now in the hospital.

Johnson's mother, Idella Hopkins George, said, "Do I believe he was justified in shooting my son? I would say no."

The family acknowledges Johnson's actions were wrong, but they question why a warning shot couldn't have been fired first.

Johnson's sister, Ashley Jones, said, "He's a kid. His actions-- I don't approve of his actions at all, but he didn't deserve to have his life taken."

In recent days a Facebook memorial page has been flooded with sometimes hateful posts -- referring to Johnson as a "thug" who died like the dog he was.

For his family, dealing with a tragedy and questions about what more they could have done, the words have been painful.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:48 PM   #64
Janice
Administrator
Forum Celebrity
My Sweet Lily

http://www.pottsmerc.com/article/201...-path-shooting

Berks D.A.: Pa. man justified in fatal bike path shooting

READING (AP) — Authorities in eastern Pennsylvania say a 65-year-old man was justified in shooting two teenagers — one fatally — who tried to rob him as he rode his bike along a popular river trail.

Berks County District Attorney John Adams says the bicyclist acted in self-defense after three teens knocked him off his bicycle in Cumru Township on Wednesday.
Police say two of the teens were assaulting the man when he pulled out a gun and shot them.

Officials say 16-year-old Julius Johnson died and a 15-year-old was hospitalized. The third teen was uninjured and sent to a youth detention center.

Adams said at a news conference Thursday that it was the teens’ third random robbery attempt in about an hour. He noted the man is licensed to carry a gun.

Last edited by Janice : 01-30-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:08 PM   #65
Mr. Television
Forum Legend

It looks like they just picked the wrong person to rob this time. I hope other thugs get the message.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:06 PM   #66
robyrob
Forum Legend
certified wackball#3

it seems like some of these thugs honestly believe that they are immortal and untouchable because they are under 18; they have no respect for human life whatsoever and sending them to juvenile detention and eventually prison just makes them better criminals. the culture glorifies the violence, getting shot or getting locked up just gives them more street cred. (i'm not saying that they deserve to die, or that I have any idea what to do with them, just that it is hard to feel a lot of sympathy for those that have no respect for human life in general when it catches up with them)

about 3-1/2 hours ago someone was randomly shooting at cars on the highway about 10 blocks from my house - 3 cars were hit but no one was injured apparently, cops and dogs are searching the neighborhood for him now.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:28 PM   #67
Yooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by robyrob
it seems like some of these thugs honestly believe that they are immortal and untouchable because they are under 18; they have no respect for human life whatsoever and sending them to juvenile detention and eventually prison just makes them better criminals. the culture glorifies the violence, getting shot or getting locked up just gives them more street cred. (i'm not saying that they deserve to die, or that I have any idea what to do with them, just that it is hard to feel a lot of sympathy for those that have no respect for human life in general when it catches up with them)

about 3-1/2 hours ago someone was randomly shooting at cars on the highway about 10 blocks from my house - 3 cars were hit but no one was injured apparently, cops and dogs are searching the neighborhood for him now.

Well said.
"The true meaning of America, you ask? It's in a Texas rodeo, in a policeman's badge, in the sound of laughing children, in a political rally, in a newspaper...In all these things and many more, you'll find freedom. And freedom is what America means to the world. And to me."
--Audie Leon Murphy
June 20, 1924--
May 28, 1971

Old 01-30-2012, 10:38 PM   #68
retrofan05

I have never been in a situation like this, so obviously I have no right to judge the man for his actions. However, generally speaking, if we ever want to end this vicious cycle of violence among our youth, more violence is not the solution. With a mindset like that, are we really any better than the kids? What kids like this need is an advocate; someone who cares enough about them to help them get back on the right track; someone that sees potential beyond prison bars. But, if we continue to look at these kids as hopeless "thugs" whose only future is prison or death, this cycle will never end.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:43 PM   #69
The Flying Dutchmans

It's just a wild guess, but I think because they were criminal like and were going to rob the old man, that school was the last thing on their minds. They were probably ditching.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:55 PM   #70
Mr. Television
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrofan05
I have never been in a situation like this, so obviously I have no right to judge the man for his actions. However, generally speaking, if we ever want to end this vicious cycle of violence among our youth, more violence is not the solution. With a mindset like that, are we really any better than the kids? What kids like this need is an advocate; someone who cares enough about them to help them get back on the right track; someone that sees potential beyond prison bars. But, if we continue to look at these kids as hopeless "thugs" whose only future is prison or death, this cycle will never end.
Kids that do this sort of stuff are probably a lost cause anyway. Sorry, I just don't feel any sympathy for them.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:25 PM   #71
Hollow
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrofan05
But, if we continue to look at these kids as hopeless "thugs" whose only future is prison or death, this cycle will never end.
there actually is evidence that this plays a role in juvenile delinquents who grow up to be criminals. many disobedient kids who are told or treated as though they're just inherently rotten and always going to be bad aren't going to think they can be anything else, so they don't waste the effort. self-fulfilling prophecy. it doesn't even have to happen consciously.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:09 AM   #72
Family Ties Forever!

The articles clearly point out that the robbery and assualt of the elderly man was the third one for the teens in one hour. The teens knew what they were doing. The more they get away with, the bolder they get. It seems likely that if the man had not shot them, he probably would have been shot himself. The older man's life is just as important as the teens. They are not more important simply because they are young. It's unfortunately that someone had to die. I think the two teens that are alive need a reality check. It's not ok to rob and assault anyone.

As someone who has been robbed at gunpoint in 2005, it's hard to feel sorry for the teens mentioned in this situation.

I certainly don't feel sympathy for the two teenage guys who robbed, my mother, sister and I. The two guys robbed 19 people total and finally were arrested.

Last edited by Family Ties Forever! : 01-31-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:23 PM   #73
retrofan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow
there actually is evidence that this plays a role in juvenile delinquents who grow up to be criminals. many disobedient kids who are told or treated as though they're just inherently rotten and always going to be bad aren't going to think they can be anything else, so they don't waste the effort. self-fulfilling prophecy. it doesn't even have to happen consciously.

Totally agree. What it boils down to is whether or not we want things to change. If you want these kids to continue to commit crimes, more prisons to fill up, and more people to die, just keep up the pessimistic, unsympathetic mindsets.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:24 PM   #74
Janice
Administrator
Forum Celebrity
My Sweet Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Ties Forever!
The articles clearly point out that the robbery and assualt of the elderly man was the third one for the teens in one hour. The teens knew what they were doing. The more they get away with, the bolder they get. It seems likely that if the man had not shot them, he probably would have been shot himself. The older man's life is just as important as the teens. They are not more important simply because they are young. It's unfortunately that someone had to die. I think the two teens that are alive need a reality check. It's not ok to rob and assault anyone.

As some who has been robbed at gunpoint in 2005, it's hard to feel sorry for the teens mentioned in this situation.

I certainly don't feel sympathy for the two teenage guys who robbed, my mother, sister and I. The two guys robbed 19 people total and finally were arrested.
That was certainly a traumatic event for you guys, and in broad daylight. Now that's disgusting. They were on drugs. Anything could have set them off. You're all lucky to be alive.

The POS who assaulted the poor man were on a crime spree. It's so easy to say that he was only pushed off his bike, as if they were all standing around and they gave him a light shove. They probably hid behind trees or something and jumped out and shoved him off his moving bike. I can only imagine how far the poor guy went flying and the force he landed with. From there, a few of the punks beat on him. This was a violent event. As for the one who died, it reminds me of the saying, You live by the sword, you die by the sword.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:34 PM   #75
spunkygirl
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liza
That's where you and I differ and where I say it's just a different value system. Personally, yes, I would rather die than take another person's life. That's just me though. And why I still feel sorry for the teenager who died and never got a chance to turn his life around. I think it's rather rotten of you and others to have the "he asked for it" opinion. That's just disgusting in my eyes.

So basically the older gentlman should die instead of defending himself? That's exactly what could have happened, those teens could have killed him.

Sorry while I respect your opinion, I don't understand how anyone can expect this guy to think rationally and say "oh I'll just maim these kids" while fearing for his life.