Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

2017 Thanksgiving TV Marathons on TV This Holiday Weekend
Fox Midseason 2018 Schedule Has New Comedy; Remembering David Cassidy
CBS Gives 9JKL More Episodes; Remembering Della Reese of Touched by an Angel, Chico and the Man
COZI TV's 4th Annual Holidozi Schedule; Remembering Ann Wedgeworth and Earle Hyman
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 20, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fox Producing Retirement Home Comedy Starring Vicki Lawrence and David Alan Grier; Nashville and Still the King Cancelled
Fri-Yay: Is Hulu Moving Away From Comedy?; Antenna TV to Air New Year Kickoff with Coach Marathon

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-29-2012, 04:42 PM   #31
Liza
BestYearsofOurLives

Send a message via AIM to Liza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vahan
Knowing you, I bet you also approve of the Superme's Court Decision to abolish Death Penalty in California.

You're d@mn right I did. I am against the death penalty in every form in every state.

Want to pick on me anymore? It's open season.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:44 PM   #32
Liza
BestYearsofOurLives

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG
I haven't been nasty. I said how I truthfully felt in a respectful manner (at least to me it was, and I'm sorry if it came off the wrong way). I never went for personal attacks calling you disgusting as you called me. I didn't call you ridiculous, I said your view was.

What's disgusting about my human life values? To say that people can't or shouldn't kill to protect it?

I didn't mean to call you disgusting. I just thought placing so little a value on human life is disgusting. Take it from someone who nearly lost it.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:49 PM   #33
Tweety

I'm getting tried of hearing about punks like that deciding that they're bored, and going out and doing stuff like this.

Did the kid deserve to die? I don't know. Did he deserve to get shot? Heck yeah.

Pushing anyone off of a bike could itself lead to serious injury or death. Pushing an older person off of a bike increases the chances of that happening.

These punks sound like they were developing some bad habits, and chances are, they would have become more daring if they continued to get away with things.

One of the punks died, let's hear from the other two as to why they decided to push this guy off the bike and beat him up. I'd love to hear that explanation.

And why do the authorities constantly protect these punks by not putting their names out there? If you're a parent, would you want to know if one of your child's friends is involved in these activities?

I'm glad the old guy did what he did. Just like store owners that shoot the punks that rob them, I'm fine with it. Sometimes, innocent people get killed for no reason. These punks weren't innocent, and what happened to them, happened for a reason.

The alternative for the older guy would be to hold the punks at bay with his gun while he contacts the authorities on his cell, if he had one. But he'd already been beaten up, so hopefully, no charges will be filed against him. I suppose if he'd gotten his gun out while they were merely threatening him, that would have been the way to go. IF he had a cell with him. But the punks caught him off guard, so the shooting was justified imo
Old 01-29-2012, 04:56 PM   #34
Liza
BestYearsofOurLives

Welcome back to Sitcomsonline, Liza. We all missed you. That's why we're all making you feel like crap.

I'm having a rotten 2 months. Anyone else want to pick on me?
Old 01-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #35
Retro4Life
Accept No Substitutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liza
Welcome back to Sitcomsonline, Liza. We all missed you. That's why we're all making you feel like crap.

Liza,

I'm very sorry this has upset you so. As the original poster of the thread, I had no intention of doing anything but promote discussion about a topic/situation that, to me, shows that things aren't always black or white.

I have no doubt that you are a good, decent and caring person. I truly admire your defense of life and your passion about it. Like JamesG, I oppose the death penalty for many reasons.

In this case, I think it's hard to impugn the older man because it was a fluid situation where adrenalin was flowing and the man no doubt felt his own life was in jeopardy. And as I've said, he may well not have intended to kill the boy, though the boys obviously DID intend to harm/rob him.

Please don't let something like this make you depart the forum. Friends (and I hope/think we are all friends here) can disagree, even strongly and still be friends and continue discussing things.

Best,
R4L (Michael)
Old 01-29-2012, 05:14 PM   #36
-STEFFY-
Forum Veteran

I don't feel sorry at all for the juevinille delinquints. They got what was coming to them for picking on a senior citizen. I'm glad the old man is okay.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #37
Janice
Administrator
Forum Celebrity
My Sweet Lily

I'm just pissed that the poor guy missed a few of the thugs.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:28 PM   #38
Mr. Television
Forum Legend

Quote:

Welcome back Liza.

First off I'm sorry to hear that you almost died. Really I am. It must have been awful. You didn't ask for any sympathy though. Nobody was being mean to you. It looked like you wanted to start a fight. I can understand that now knowing what you've been through. But please don't take it out on all of us. Nobody here wants you to leave.

As for the teens who attacked that man, I have no sympathy for them at all. They could have killed him. If anyone attacks me or anyone I love, I would do the same thing. I used to be against the death penalty. I've changed my mind on it over the last decade. Watching all these punks get away with murder can do that to you.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:40 PM   #39
Liza
BestYearsofOurLives

I'm just of the opinion that at the end of the day the old man gets to go home to his family, the kids parents have to go pick out a coffin. Yes, that's why I have sympathy for them. If that makes me distasteful then so be it.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:43 PM   #40
Liza
BestYearsofOurLives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice
I'm just pissed that the poor guy missed a few of the thugs.

And that right there is the opinion that I find disgusting. You want more people to die? Over an attempted robbery? I don't understand that. I can't fathom it.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:48 PM   #41
Liza
BestYearsofOurLives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro4Life
Liza,

I'm very sorry this has upset you so. As the original poster of the thread, I had no intention of doing anything but promote discussion about a topic/situation that, to me, shows that things aren't always black or white.

I have no doubt that you are a good, decent and caring person. I truly admire your defense of life and your passion about it. Like JamesG, I oppose the death penalty for many reasons.

In this case, I think it's hard to impugn the older man because it was a fluid situation where adrenalin was flowing and the man no doubt felt his own life was in jeopardy. And as I've said, he may well not have intended to kill the boy, though the boys obviously DID intend to harm/rob him.

Please don't let something like this make you depart the forum. Friends (and I hope/think we are all friends here) can disagree, even strongly and still be friends and continue discussing things.

Best,
R4L (Michael)

Thank you Michael. Look, I know I'm being overly touchy right now. I can see it myself. But I've been here for almost eleven years, I think you all know me well enough to know that I'm normally NOT this way. I've gone through too much recently. And when I see people saying that (or at least they sure sound as if they are) glad that a child died it threw me completely off balance. I'll get back to normal, I always do, but I want you guys to understand why I'm so touchy right now. I almost died at the age of 29 three weeks ago. And I just have a much higher appreciation for the value of life right now. That's why I'm so touchy.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:54 PM   #42
Janice
Administrator
Forum Celebrity
My Sweet Lily

Quote:
And that right there is the opinion that I find disgusting. You want more people to die? Over an attempted robbery? I don't understand that. I can't fathom it.
They didn't ask him to hand over his lunch money. They shoved him off his bike and assaulted him. Who knows what would have happened had he not defended himself. I don't have an ounce of sympathy for those thugs. I actually don't wish more died; I was being facetious there. I do hope they're prosecuted and get the maximum sentence.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:51 PM   #43
robyrob
Forum Legend
certified wackball#3

Quote:
i used to be 100% against the death penalty, mostly because of the thought of someone accidentally getting executed if the police or prosecutors got something wrong and convicted someone innocent by mistake (lets face it - we're all human and mistakes CAN happen). You have a right to your opinion and I understand and respect that.

...but living a couple years in Dayton has changed my mind, not 100%, but enough to deem it necessary in some cases. Someone gets shot in Dayton EVERY SINGLE DAY; usually over drugs, sometimes over shoes, sometimes over $30 or $40 dollars, sometimes over who wrote Beyonce's latest hit single. I know people that have gotten mugged and jumped over nothing, and there has been 4 murders within 10 blocks of our house in the past 2 months. So the idea of someone successfully defending themself against a bunch of thugs that probably are going to wind up being lifelong career criminals can be a little bit gratifying, even at the expense of their families. Maybe their families should've spent a little more time and effort caring about what the heck their kids were doing.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:56 PM   #44
Family Ties Forever!

The teens should be ashamed of themselves for beating up and robbing someone. Just because they are teenagers doesn't make it ok. The man was acting in self defense and so it's justified that one of the teens died. It's unfortunate that anyone had to die, but the elderly man should not be expected to just sit there, take it, and perhaps lose his life. His life is just as important as any one of the three teenagers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice
They didn't ask him to hand over his lunch money. They shoved him off his bike and assaulted him. Who knows what would have happened had he not defended himself. I don't have an ounce of sympathy for those thugs. I actually don't wish more died; I was being facetious there. I do hope they're prosecuted and get the maximum sentence.

I agree. It wasn't a small thing. The three punks approached him. He was pushed off his bike and beaten up. He has the right to defend himself. I hope the two teens face the consequences of their actions. Some jail time might make them think twice before they rob and beat up anyone.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:06 AM   #45
Hollow
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
I'm just of the opinion that at the end of the day the old man gets to go home to his family, the kids parents have to go pick out a coffin. Yes, that's why I have sympathy for them. If that makes me distasteful then so be it.
i disagree with your stance on his right to defend himself, but i agree with this. does an average 16-year-old even KNOW that pushing someone off of a bike can kill them? most kids would only think of the scrapes and bruises that they suffered in their childhood accidents. i doubt he had anyone's death on his mind. the man did what was necessary and shouldn't be shamed for it, but it takes quite a bit of ignorance/emotional bias to pass off the kid as an irreparable waste of existence over a robbery. a 16-year-old brain is years away from completed growth with plenty ability to be turned around given the right circumstances, and that's why his parents' loss is sympathizable and why there is no real win in the situation. i don't care if anyone disagrees. psychology is such an easy aspect to ignore when people are too morally inconvenienced by the reality of it, hence they usually only take it into account when explaining a victim's behavior and then deem it a 'bull**** excuse' when it's used to explain a perp's.