Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Golden Girls Central / The Golden Girls links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Golden Girls Photo Gallery

The Golden Girls - Season 1

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 1 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 2

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 2 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 3

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 3 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 4

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 4 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 5

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 5 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 6

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 6 on DVD
The Golden Girls - Season 7

Buy The Golden Girls - Season 7 on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Golden Girls
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama
Hallmark's Holly Robinson Peete Series Coming in February; Remembering Sitcom Writer Bob Schiller
Disney Picks Up 2nd Season of Raven Sitcom; Family Matters Cast Reunites
ION Television Gets Festive for Holidays; USA Schedules Psych: The Movie

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-20-2010, 09:57 PM   #31
SueAnn_Rose
Forum Regular
Sue Ann Nivens BFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianne3
In the episode with Blanche's verbally abusive boyfriend, the second plot where Rose & Miles try to spice up their relationship is funny.

There are several episodes where the second plot overshadows the main plot.

It's the same scenario in the episode with Blanche's overweight daughter Rebecca which was very mean-spirited. The second plot with Sophia challenging her teen boss is funny.
I agree with this, I hated that Rex guy he was just horrible and so was Rebecca's fiance.
ღBetty & Allen Luddenღ
★Betty White★

Elka & Maxღ
Old 08-20-2010, 11:03 PM   #32
Jude The Obscure
Retired

I hated the whole Dorothy and Stan rekindle their relationship arc in the 6th season--only to have Stan appear to be a total yutz by asking Dorothy to sign pre-nups. To me it makes that season a waste and makes Stan almost unredeemable as a character.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:20 AM   #33
SageSlowdive
Forum Regular
the real hank queen

Seems like there is alot of people judging the characters in the episodes, rather then the episode itself.

When I started the thread, I didn't mean who was the "worst" person in the series, like Rex or Jeremy (Rebecca's fiancee). I meant, what episodes are not funny and/or doesn't do any justice for the girls.

I really dislike Season 6. There are alot of bad episodes that season, espeically the one where Dorothy helps a man come out his apartment, which he hasn't been out of since the 60s. Yeah...right.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:38 PM   #34
Rezny@gmail.com

And another bad one was where the girls went to a psychiatrist,and how they(Blanche,Dorothy and Sophia),instead of revealing her good points,ganged up on poor Rose .Another bad clip show.And the "Empty Nests" episode showed very little promise,despite the Girls being there in some scenes,and I'm glad Susan Harris retooled it,and one of the worst things about it,was David Leisure's obnoxious (very)neighbor.Later,Lesiure changed the character for "Empty Nest",and became at least fairly likable.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:07 PM   #35
Rezny@gmail.com

And I remember when the series first aired,it was called by NBC "Miami Nice"and it ,for the most part,was,and had some spice to it.But the "Empty Nests"episode had very little spice to it,and could be termed as "Miami Bland",because that's what it was-bland and uninteresting.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:26 PM   #36
McGillicuddy

"Empty Nests" is everybody's least favorite episode! It shouldn't even be considered a Golden Girls episode since they were hardly in it!
Old 09-26-2010, 10:24 PM   #37
CDThe1
Frequent Poster

I don't really think of the flashbacks as true "episodes." They can be rather enjoyable at times. The only thing I hate about the flashback ones are that they show a couple of seconds of a funny clip, then a 10 minute clip of something that wasn't great.

But as far as episodes, I hate the "Empty Nest" as much as anyone else. I tend to hate those episodes that aren't true to the characters that we had come to know and love.

I would never think Dorothy would fall for some Beatles impersonator, and no man would ever control Blanche and she wouldn't take his attitude. Neither woman would do those things.

Also, everybody was much more concerned about one another when the show started. It seemed in the later years, everyone was more insulting to each other.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:44 PM   #38
McGillicuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDThe1
I don't really think of the flashbacks as true "episodes." They can be rather enjoyable at times. The only thing I hate about the flashback ones are that they show a couple of seconds of a funny clip, then a 10 minute clip of something that wasn't great.

But as far as episodes, I hate the "Empty Nest" as much as anyone else. I tend to hate those episodes that aren't true to the characters that we had come to know and love.

I would never think Dorothy would fall for some Beatles impersonator, and no man would ever control Blanche and she wouldn't take his attitude. Neither woman would do those things.

Also, everybody was much more concerned about one another when the show started. It seemed in the later years, everyone was more insulting to each other.
The thing with the flashback episodes-- sometimes they were scenes from previous episodes, which are a waste, but sometimes, the flashbacks were new material, like the "Mother's Day" themed when we met Alice Ghostly as Dorothy's mother-in-law, and Blanche's mother in a rest home. And the flashbacks with Sophia & Sal in Brooklyn are sometimes fun.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:10 PM   #39
bandonurse
Frequent Poster

Interesting.... I actually liked the Empty Nest episode (although not a favorite) simply because one of my favorite actresses guest starred. (Rita Moreno) I have loved her since the 60's when she starred in West Side Story. I agree, though, that it was odd that the GG themselves were so scarce!

And the "Sick and Tired" episode also gave us the subplot of Blanche attempting to become a "great Southern writer." During which her insomnia caused her to see the "little balls of sunshine" in a plastic bag! One of my all-time favorite scenes.

I hated the plotline of Rose being molested by her Dentist. Awful....and as a poster above said, I'm not watching GG to see stuff like that featured. I watch for the yucks!

Speaking of David Leisure: Isn't it interesting how an obnoxious, unlikeable character like "Oliver" can actually make you respect and like the actor who plays him? I hated his character, of course. But you have to admit, David did a terrific job of making us hate him!
Old 02-24-2016, 08:35 AM   #40
'80sSitcoms

I like "Empty Nests" too It actually has some of the funniest lines the girls ever had (Rose getting naked for the veterinarian is hilarious).

If you watch Rita Moreno's interview at the Emmy TV Legends web site though, she details the whole experience of this episode and how awful it was. She's so great, I'm really sorry that the writing wasn't there for her and that she had such a bad time.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:08 PM   #41
JR1
Forum Regular

"Three on a Couch" (why wasn't it four?) is pretty good for a vignette show. When Rose says, "literally, it's the precise moment when dog dew turns white.." Classic. Of the vignettes themselves, the first two are the best.

The later seasons were not as strong as the earlier ones, so I can't really pinpoint the worst of those right now.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:45 PM   #42
bandonurse
Frequent Poster

There were episodes in every season that I loved, and some that I didn't care for. I can't pinpoint any year that I would designate "best" or "worst". To me, it varied from episode to episode, not from season to season.

I did tend to not like the episodes with Stanley in them, because his character was so unlikeable. I thought Herb Edelman did a great job of playing him; I just didn't like Stanley the character. And I hated the story arc where Dorothy almost remarried him. She went from consistently being openly hostile to him, to sleeping with and almost remarrying him in very short order. Just didn't make sense to me.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:52 PM   #43
mets82

I guess the President's Coming and Empty Nest would be my two worst even though they werent THAT bad?

Please check out my blog. I vent on all things. TV, sports etc. you name it. Its also a work in progress. Check out and see what you think.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:51 PM   #44
kevko76
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGillicuddy
"Empty Nests" is everybody's least favorite episode! It shouldn't even be considered a Golden Girls episode since they were hardly in it!
yeah, thats definitely the worst one!
Old 03-07-2016, 01:06 PM   #45
Wawwie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianne3
the episode with Blanche's overweight daughter Rebecca which was very mean-spirited.
Sophia was also a mean, cruel hag to Blanche's daughter. Remember? She asks: "So you're Blanche's daughter, the model? What did you model? Car covers"? What a freaking bitch! Sophia could be really mean a lot of times.